Classic Movies You Should Get Around to Watching Disucssion

randomredneck

Switching gears here: I was talking elsewhere about 2001: A Space Odyssey (Which I haven't seen) and it got me realizing there's some damn classics I've never bothered to see. 2001, Pulp Fiction, Sling Blade, etc.

You guys have any classic movies you have yet to see?

Too many. I haven't seen any of the Jaws or Alien series, Silence of the Lambs, Reservoir Dogs, Citizen Kane, 2001, any Steven King adaptation, the goddamn Godfather, etc.
I need to get on those. Maybe I should do a Movie March where I watch a movie a day to make a dent in the list.

I spent yesterday watching the John Wick movies and man were they stellar. Who would've thought I'd genuinely enjoy a Keanu Reeves movie again? I really liked the simplicity behind the first movie and seeing how they expanded on the world-building and action in the second. There were some really cool settings in the second one; I think they realized how great the nightclub scenes were in the first and decided to dish out more in the sequel. It's gonna be a long wait for Wick 3, I can't wait to see what they do next.

Switching gears here: I was talking elsewhere about 2001: A Space Odyssey (Which I haven't seen) and it got me realizing there's some damn classics I've never bothered to see. 2001, Pulp Fiction, Sling Blade, etc.

A lot. I've never seen the whole of 2001: A Space Odyssey (but I've read the book twice), and there is a whole slew of black and white era classics that I've procrastinated on watching, like Citizen Kane, Rashomon, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca et al. However, if I were to venture I guess, then Raging Bull, The Godfather Part II, and Chinatown might be the ones that will make people go "why haven't you watched those yet? THOSE ARE STONE COLD CLASSICS, MAN! STOP WATCHING SO MUCH ANIME!".

I'm not too bothered though, but it would be nice to know more about a lot of the classics from first-hand experience instead of pop-cultural osmosis.

A lot. I've never seen the whole of 2001: A Space Odyssey (but I've read the book twice), and there is a whole slew of black and white era classics that I've procrastinated on watching, like Citizen Kane, Rashomon, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca et al. However, if I were to venture I guess, then Raging Bull, The Godfather Part II, and Chinatown might be the ones that will make people go "why haven't you watched those yet? THOSE ARE STONE COLD CLASSICS, MAN! STOP WATCHING SO MUCH ANIME!".

I'm not too bothered though, but it would be nice to know more about a lot of the classics from first-hand experience instead of pop-cultural osmosis.
Silly me, I forgot to add the biggest one: Ghostbusters. I've never watched it, despite plenty of opportunities to do so.

RE: Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic and whatnot: I try and pick out a handful of reviews with different scores and read them. Other than that, I only use it to see how a specific work is being received, and just how unanimous that reception is.

Dude, screw all the other movies you've mentioned (not really) but friggin' GHOSTBUSTERS? THAT'S A STONE COLD CLASSIC, MAN! STOP WATCHING SO MUCH ANIME!

But really, you should see it sometime.
I had planned to watch the new one before I watched the '84 version just to spite some reactionary knuckle-draggers on the internet, but it never came to fruition. Might as well watch them in release order now, because the manchildren have probably all found new sources of frustration.

I'm creating some new threads in the hopes of sparking some discussion. I thought Redneck's question is an interesting one that shouldn't be buried in the movie thread.

I feel that many classics, movies that are generally held in high praise by most, shouldn't just be watched, but it's usually worth learning about the details, the ins and outs of what made, and helped to make, such movies what they are.

As an example, I'll use my personal favorite movie. Who Framed Roger Rabbit. And to do so, I present this fantastic video by kaptainkristian.

It's not needed to learn about these kinds of things about such movies to enjoy them, but I tend to get a greater sense of understanding, respect, and enjoyment from learning more about them and movies in general. And I think others might as well.

The great news is that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was recently added to Netflix.

And to answer the question, I've been meaning to watch Casablanca, Ben-Hur, and Lawrence of Arabia for years. And thanks to History Buffs on youtube, there's Zulu, The Ghost and the Darkness, Waterloo, Master and Commander, and Dances with Wolves that I want to watch.

There's a bunch of "classics" that have flown past my radar. Most of Hitchcock's films, Casablanca, Ben-Hur, anything Orson Wells or Akira Kurosawa did ever did...

Actually, I lie about that last one. I've seen Ikiru and I really liked it.

One of these days, I want to get around to seeing Cleopatra (for the insane level of detail to costuming and set design) and The Ten Commandments (for constantly shirtless Yul Brynner :laugh: ), but the fact they're both 4 hours long makes me queasy.

I feel that many classics, movies that are generally held in high praise by most, shouldn't just be watched, but it's usually worth learning about the details, the ins and outs of what made, and helped to make, such movies what they are.

As an example, I'll use my personal favorite movie. Who Framed Roger Rabbit. And to do so, I present this fantastic video by kaptainkristian.

It's not needed to learn about these kinds of things about such movies to enjoy them, but I tend to get a greater sense of understanding, respect, and enjoyment from learning more about them and movies in general. And I think others might as well.

The great news is that Who Framed Roger Rabbit was recently added to Netflix.
I love looking into films to see how they were made, or the influences and reasons behind them. Thanks for posting the video!
And to answer the question, I've been meaning to watch Casablanca, Ben-Hur, and Lawrence of Arabia for years. And thanks to History Buffs on youtube, there's Zulu, The Ghost and the Darkness, Waterloo, Master and Commander, and Dances with Wolves that I want to watch.
Waterloo gets played on TV every Christmas in the UK, probably my favourite war movie of all time.

Where would I even start, I have so many I need to see! Someone should post (or I should Google) a list of top 100 Classic movies, and then perhaps I could try to work out a schedule for watching some! LOL

There aren't any classics which I overlooked yet intend to watch at some point. There are quite a few "classics" which I've overlooked, but I have no intention of ever watching them. The godfather movies are a prime example, they just hold less than 0 interest for me.

I must admit, I've never watched 12 Angry Men. Courtroom drama didn't sound all that appealing to me but I know many people love this movie.

I haven't seen Lost Boys, either. Does that help? And most horror films have never tainted my pure eyes.

You really do disgust me. You'd love how gay coded Lost Boys is.

I must admit, I've never watched 12 Angry Men. Courtroom drama didn't sound all that appealing to me but I know many people love this movie.

The flick has a definite place in cinema history. It's intense and well written, but the older making film style will irritate people not used to it.

Aside from Shining, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange I haven't watched any other Kubrick films and tbh 2001 is the only one I'm still interested in seeing and maybe The Killing.

12 Angry Men is the bomb.

Last edited:
Aside from Shining, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange I haven't watched any other Kubrick films and tbh 2001 is the only one I'm still interested in seeing.

I'd say Spartacus and Barry Lyndon are both must watches.

Jesus hasse. You’re making me look good. I have seen both ghostbusters and lost boys.

Moves Nitro higher on the AP power ranks and drops Hasse to the bottom.

I'd say Spartacus and Barry Lyndon are both must watches.

Moves Nitro higher on the AP power ranks and drops Hasse to the bottom.

Sword-and-sandal movies and period dramas were never my cup of tea tbh. Lyndon sounds a bit intriguing because of the attention to detail and everything but Spartacus... I saw enough of that in the Clueless movie.

Boo Hasse, boo!

Some courtroom dramas are highly entertaining (they're usually not in real life). Try Reversal of Fortune if you want a more modern take.
You really do disgust me. You'd love how gay coded Lost Boys is.
Seeing the gay subtext is my speciality! A friend got The Lost Boys OST on LP from his Aussie brother-in-law, and said in-law was surprised that The Lost Boys is not very popular here in Sweden. I think Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter looked like a cooler film when I was 11, so we ignored Kiefer and the gang.
Aside from Shining, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange I haven't watched any other Kubrick films and tbh 2001 is the only one I'm still interested in seeing.

Those are the only Kubrick films that I've seen as well.
Jesus hasse. You’re making me look good. I have seen both ghostbusters and lost boys.
Show-off.

Well, I'm infinitely cuter and cooler than you lot, so shuffle me around your pretend lists all you want, but know that it's a futile and inherently doomed enterprise.

Back