Has the fandom ever ruined an anime for you?

I rethought my statement.

Fandom has only ruined one anime for me. Hetalia. It was an adorable short episode show about world history... And the fandom went berserk. I've tried to watch the later seasons, and can't bring myself to do it. And it's not because of ratings or quality. I've watched worse.
It's because of cosplayers from the fandom being unable to civilly discuss it at conventions. One obnoxious Bellarus was the straw that broke the camel's back. I still like the first season, but I don't think i'll ever return...

The rest is more my belief that a certain anime can't live up to the hype, so why watch and be disappointed?

I just avoid fandoms as much as possible. I never really feel the urge to talk about series I've seen anyway, and if I do I just rant at my nearest friend/relative. Some of my favourite series have pretty horrible fandoms, and I don't want to be put off them because of some idiots who can't seem to understand that my opinion is not identical to theirs.

Fandom is sorta the reason I find it hard to get into anime outside of the internet, cause as soon as I bring up an anime topic in real life, I get one of these two responses, about 90% of the time: "OMG! *massive fangirlguying* I love that anime!" and then they proceed to go over weeaboo on me by correcting my pronunciation and opinions on the topic (like this one kid at Mcdonald's who freaks out every time we go through the drive-thru cause we have a Migi doll from Parasyte hanging on our window and he hates the way I pronounce Migi, saying that my lack of speaking Japanese isn't an excuse) or they just don't know the anime or watch or like anime. It's hard to find friends who like anime that will go into discussion but not freak out.

/snip

THIS. This kind of shit really annoys me.

If you want to chat with someone about anime, that's great, and even if they are pronouncing something incorrectly and you'd like to say something, that's fine too. What isn't fine is being a prick about it. There is nothing worse than someone who takes umbrage at others for things that they want to wield control over.

I wouldn't care if you pronounced it 'Myguy' and after tactfully offering a polite correction you still wished to pronounce it whatever way you wanted to. With people like the dude you've mentioned, it isn't actually entirely about correctness, it becomes very much about ego and control.

This extends to my own interactions every day. As a writer/editor, I see and hear incorrect shit all the time around English usage. I used to struggle with getting really blunt and judgemental around people demonstrating terrible spelling, grammar, punctuation etc., but then I kind of grew up. I realised that anyone can try to provide knowledge, but it's fundamentally none of your business how people use it. Knowledge should never be used to discriminate, it's a neutral tool, not a weapon or a throne.

No, but the anti-fanbase has ruined threads for me and is one reason I don't participate in threads for ongoing series anymore. There's always an individual or group that comes in just to make inflammatory comments and tell you how much they loathe every single god damned episode and how stupid you are for liking something they don't but yet they keep watching and tuning into it every week...

Yes, many times. Especially for the Love Live series.
I'm tired of seeing the Yuri stuff everywhere.

I don't mind Yuri at all, in fact, its one of my favorite genres.
However, Love Live is about idols, Not Yuri.

Yes, many times. Especially for the Love Live series.
I'm tired of seeing the Yuri stuff everywhere.

I don't mind Yuri at all, in fact, its one of my favorite genres.
However, Love Live is about idols, Not Yuri.

pREACHHHH!

Back