Flip Flappers

Episode 1

The artstyle is really weird and flatly coloured especially the eyes will take getting used to. But yeah, not much substance yet. It seems like a show that is wacky for being wacky.

Episode 2.
Clearly a show that prioritizes its visuals over making even a modicum of sense. I don't like that, so I'm out. Also, Papika is annoying as Hell.

2 out of 5.

Episode 2

Well, we got that whole character conflict handled there and stuff god knows the plot is flimsy so far. I'm also not a fan of artistic stylising being abused to make scenes even more simple or just far padding. Honestly, so far it's not very good. The female leads aren't great to watch and the artistic direction is just not quite there. None of the really artsy scenes have a real ''wow'' factor going for them as the colouring in them is often flat and the textures moving in the foreground are flat-out lazy looking.

Episodes 1 and 2

I mean, visually, it's somewhat simplistic, but rather artsy. The character models are actually pretty rough, especially around the faces. But the movement and animation are actually pretty good. And it definitely has some strange and interesting backgrounds from time to time.

Characterization could be better. But, it's only 2 episodes in, so I'll hold off. So far, I only know that Cocona likes order and normality, Papika likes chaos and spontaneity.

The worst part so far is the plot itself. Some of it makes sense, but a lot it seems completely random.
Example is the weird vacuum thing that pops out from under the Thinker. Also, when they started yelling into it, how did they get inside it?
Why is the rabbit green? What the fuck is up with it's name?
Is the super saiyan hair change related to that weird blue stone?
Will any of this be explained soon?

I picked this up on a whim, and having seen one of the main characters is voiced M.A.O who had voiced Luluco, with fairly moderate expectations, I didn't think I was going to get all that much out of the show.

So far with the first two episodes watched it has managed to grab my attention. I do like its art style, it's very colourful and something different from everything else I am watching this season, although Nanbaka beats it in the colourful department.

I liked the pair of mcs, quite a contrast in personality.
I think Cocona's change of heart was a little quick, earlier she looks at a painting and remembers events from the first episode but I feel that wasn't emphasised enough, her concern for Papika's safety was understandable so I understood why she was reluctant to continue adventuring. I think I'll just put it down to the fact that having saved each other, she felt a closer connection to Papika and hence wanted to continue.
Or maybe I am trying to look to deeply into a colourful, wacky show about magical girls.
All in all, I am happy with what I got so far.

Man, I just watched ep 2 and I'm really not feeling it right now. I hope it'll pick up a bit in the next episode because otherwise I'll probably drop this.The visuals are interesting, but not enough to keep me watching.

That ED is nice though :3
edit: found a pic with all the scenery in it:
3lxedzl0uyqx.jpg

Ep 3
This show is better at being Dragon Ball than Dragon Ball Super... In any case, this was quite fun
The fights all looked good and were a lot of fun, the conflict was kept simple enough and that gung-ho potato was funny :p

Dem poses though
T8KCSuo.jpg

guess I'll keep watching

Edit: for those who are unaware: the director has ties with Gainax/Trigger and also worked on Space Dandy.
Which might explain where those KLK-esque attack name shots came from, and the spiral attack.

Last edited:
Episode 3
Ok, the director having ties to Gainax/Trigger explains so much of what I just saw. The fight sequence, the weird attack names, the giant spiral... I swore I was watching a Trigger creation for a moment

That being said, the plot still seems to be struggling. It's starting to progress, but it's like a wobbly newborn foal. I have questions, like when did they get transformation sequences? And what was up with ink-chick's fountain of subs?

I've just watched all 3 episodes and really enjoyed all of them. It's definitely a show that cares more about it's surrealist atmosphere and visuals than it does about telling a story, at least right now. But that's ok, because when the visuals are this damn good it makes for an immersive watching experience for the most part.

Episode 3 was definitely the best so far, and that's because they spent more time in Pure Illusion than they did in the normal world, that's where the strength in this show lies for me. Papika can be a little annoying, but she doesn't make me want to hear my ears off.

I'm interested to see where they go with this, I think it has a lot of potential to really stand out of the mahou shoujo genre, it's already very different, I just hope they can keep it up.

Also, it's packed full of visual references, I recognised the original Casshern and Cyborg 009 and I haven't even seen them, let alone the more obvious Diebuster, TTGL and KlK references.

Just finished ep 4
And this anime has the most creative design for a school I have ever seen. I mean, this is a door on the roof?
Nc2eBtB.jpg

Pretty nice episode, guess I should get on to watching ep 5

Ep 5
man, this was something else... in a good way
Somehow Flip Flappers became the creepiest anime I've ever seen! :o

I don't think @ZetsubouKaiji is watching this show, but this ep would definitely be something he'd enjoy. I've still got chills

I don't think @ZetsubouKaiji is watching this show, but this ep would definitely be something he'd enjoy.

Hah, I was actually kind of thinking the same thing.

This show's kind of grown on me quickly actually, and I love horror, so there was really no doubt in my mind that I'd like how this particular episode was themed.

Shining Reference FTW:
0zCjpOi.png

The visuals also continue to really impress me, I really liked this shot with the distorted hallway:
ZwwalsK.png

That bit with the huge clock tower was cool as hell too and pretty fun.

On another note, I don't know about anyone else, but the faceless girl squad weirdly reminded me of the invisible storm from Yuri Kuma Arashi. Just the idea, with them basically trying to conform them forever into an innocent idealized S kind of relationship. Just something interesting for me to think about.

I'm going to say and warn you though, this show has been reeeeeally polarizing for a lot of people, there seems to be no middle ground with this, you'll either like it or not. It's definitely the kind of thing where it seems to mainly care about throwing symbolism, references and surrealism around with the visuals like what Taek said. I'll be honest though, I'm digging that myself, and it does have me really curious where it's going towards the end.

So there's my two cents on it I guess. :laugh:

---
On more talk about the show, if I had to take a wild guess here, I would actually say may be the the worlds of pure illusions here are representative/reflective of one's inner consciousness around these characters? It might be a stretch, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

Last edited:
Back