Zero no Tsukaima F

Alt title: The Familiar of Zero F

MOJ's avatar By on Mar 18, 2012

How disappointing. One of the best series turned into a cheesy tweenage harem romance. It started out strong, with a good dose of sexual humor to lighten the mood and reacquaint viewers with the main characters, along with their uncanny ability to fall into questionable perverted moments. If real life could have even half the awkward boob grab moments in this series, boys would hit puberty around the age of 8.

So this series picks off where the last one left. The imposter king of Gallia plots to destroy Romalia or whatever the name was of that city. Saito, Liouse, and the rest must stop his evil plans. A pretty basic fairytale story. However, the previous seasons were able to expertly manipulate the situation to make it unpredictable and often hilarious. With perverted humor properly placed throughout the previous seasons, amazing twists, a decent plot, introduction of modern technology, and good fight scenes, they really left the viewer begging for more. Unfortunately ZnT F has none of those. The storyline is downright childish, twists not only predictable but expected, the characters have suddenly lost 40-50 points off their IQ and fight scenes are equivalent to two chimps going at each other with clubs.

Actually, with everything taken into consideration, it seems like the story was simply thrown out the window for this season. Instead it was decided by the higher ups to make this into one of the most cliche, awkward and cheesy harem romances ever to hit the interne...i mean DVDs (down with pirating!! *cough* *cough*). I mean, there are like 7 girls, 2 of them freaking royalty, and yet they just can get enough of our over-passionate, brainless Saito. That guy actually acted like a real guy would in the previous seasons, but now he turned into those dumbass harem protagonists like the ones seen in "Shuffle" and "This ugly yet beautiful world." All the girls are simply dying for his affection, which kind of is justified by the previous seasons but becomes unrealistic very fast.

My main problem with this season is that it over-uses the "i've been kidnapped" cliche. Nearly every episode revolves around either one of the girls being kidnapped and Saito prancing around like a fool trying to rescue them.

Animation:

The animation was one of the redeeming qualities of this season. They did improve the level of detail and focused on character design and environmental/magic effects. The background still remained pretty bland and undeserving of attention. Nor did the creativity of the magic attacks.

One point to note, the animation while being improved from previous versions, still sucks. And it completely fell apart by the last episode. There was a certain scene in the last episode which was just so horrible that comparatively, stick figures have more depth and colors. They rushed it, and it is fairly obvious...

Sound:

The sound is mainly orchestral and it fits the theme of this series pretty well. It compliments the medieval fantasy tone of the area. However it is pretty generic and quickly fades into the background almost to the point where you won't notice when it begins to play and when it stops. Sound effects were done better though and had a positive effect, mainly during the awkward "accidental" groping scenes but positive nonetheless.

The characters were effectively murdered. The girls lost all aspects of a multidimensional personality and instead were forced to mold into the love struck tsundere airhead cast. Saito turned into a generic male harem lead and everyone else could have simply been leaves in the wind. I mean the producers didn't even bother giving many of the background characters faces. The horses the main characters rode were given more focus than most humans. When you have a queen and a princess of two different nations stalking...yes STALKING a pervert of a guy, you know one of the producers is 60 and still single. Did i mention cat fights erupt over who gets to sleep beside Saito? Even the maid joins in on the fun... b*tch slapping her mistress, royal princesses and everyone in between just so she can feel her breasts press against Saito's tweenage body.

There is nothing left to say about just how much the characters deteriorated. it hurts for me to go on...

Conclusion:

Seeing that it will only be die hard fans who will reach this fourth season, i recommend going along with it. This season will provide conclusions for the series, and all of us have been waiting for a year and a half for this season to come out so why not? It still does have humor and some decent moments but do not expect the level of quality the previous seasons had. Furthermore the series concludes in a insanely ridiculous manner, somewhere along the lines of a "wtf how?" Watch it for the conclusions that are made and nothing else.

Replying to FadeToBlack91: I seriously wish i could analyse it deeper, however, there was no "deeper" to go. The anime was shallow, bland and badly put together. What it wanted to give its viewers was a season of awkward boob grabs and other fanservice with absolutly no story driving the characters. Pokemon episodes tend to have better stories than this whole season put together. As a Romance title it deteriorated greatly, probably due to the fact that the love between the main characters became unrealistic.

I would like someone, ANYONE to give me a logical explanation of the ending. There is no way in hell what happened could have happened at all, and I DARE you to say it was because of "the power of love"...I bloody DOUBLE DARE you. It pisses me off to no end.

nasdero's avatar By on Jul 29, 2015

I dont understand where all the hate comes from, and i dont understand why some people say this season killed the franchise... ITS SUPPOSED TO KILL THE FRANCHISE, its the last season with an ending that really is one!

SPOILER:

It doenst happen very often with animes that tend to be 12 Eposides per Season so im Really glad that there is a "real" ending to it so i can close the chapter and move on, to many animes just left the whole plot open and werent produced anymore.

For me this has become on of my favorites and its the FIRST anime i saw Subbed (only watched dub before) because there was no other way after season 1.

People tend to say this Season has become just another Harem style boring ****, truth is the entire Series build up to this season and some thing were even ovios to happen. If you are the hero that saves the world day after day of course wimen will fall for you.

About the Story, the beginning has pretty few action scenes in it but its nice because it shows character progression and a more private side to it, you cant get emotionally attached to a charactzer if you dont share thier fellings. From the mid on the real action started, and i need to say stealing a F-2 Mitsubishi and killing a giant dragon with it is far from boring in my book.

Also the fact that Saito always kept true to his "Master" and in the end even married her if for me not really a harem this anime reminded me from the sotry much more to Sword art online than Highschool DxD (altough i live them both)

I have to say thank you for this anime and this season it showed me that watching subbed anime can be awesome and it showed me that there are some great endings with anime!

Now, beeing done with it,  i feel empty and continue with the hope to find such a glorius masterpiece again some day, to feast my eyes on :-D

Shortylynnchaos's avatar By on Aug 25, 2016

This review is for those who have seen all 4 seasons. (I tend to jumble seasons together so I figured I'd save the review for the end)
So you start off with this boy (Saito) who gets sent to another world and UNwillingly becomes a girls familiar. He doesnt speak the language, know the culture, or anything about this world. Not only that, he becomes a familiar to a Tsundere of all people. And I'mma say it: Worst Tsundere I have ever seen... Not only does she get mad at everything but she doesnt listen, and doesnt grow from her mistakes. My husband actually refused to let me watch it while he was in the room becuase Louise made him that mad. And what does our main character do? He falls in love with said Tsundere after all she does is beat him with a whip and scream at him, make him explode, get him into uncomfortable situations. What is there to love about that. Granted each guy has their own type and all but my husband and I really couldnt see where love even sprouted from. OH and whenever Saito gets SUPER horny I swear someone needs to be screaming rape, becuase he made me uncomfortable... I felt violated and this isnt even that echii of an anime. Sure you have a few boob and pantie shots but jesus guys... Hes pratically dry humping her like once or twice.... OH and EVERY episode Louise abuses Saito, this is NOT an exxageration. And that just gets old super quick.

So onto the story: We already explained Saito, now Louise is just a mage who cant do anything right, turns out she has a power that only 4 other people do, go figure right? But the only way she grows with this is learning new spells. As a character she doesnt grow at all. Her personality stays the same the entire time and she is ALWAYS beating up Saito for something or another. The story itself is not bad and other than (or how it seemed to me) rushed ending in season 4 it was really well thought out. Heck it even made me tear up a few times. But WHY did it need TWO bathhouse scenes? You had one in saeson 2 and 3??? Is that really needed? YES we KNOW its a harem anime, no its not important to the plot at all. Show me more fighting and magic please.

The animation was alright, you can tell where there was budget costs and the animation style was a bit more softer than what I'm used to. I guess simple would be the right word?

Sound was normal as usual, not much else to say about that.

The characters..... Do you want to get me started? Well you have Saito, the main male, who says hes in love with Louise but is ALWAYS oggling or touching other girls boobs, Louise, who is an insecure Tsundere who doesnt listen or learn from her own mistakes. Siesta, the horny maid that cant get a hint and wants to be in Saitos pants more than anything. Kirche, who will screw anything that impresses her. Tabitha who was the only one with really ANY backstory, which in her defense was a very good story and I'd watch an anime about her alone, but STILL manages to want to get in Saitos pants. Tiffa, an elf that looks promising but can only do 1 spell and again STILL FALLS IN LOVE WITH SAITO. Guiche, who is the douche jock that no one likes, and the villians.... arent really villians in my opinion, a few of them are just kinda... really??? thats all you got????

No but seriously WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT SAITO THAT EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE SEX WITH HIM OR FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM??? He's from another world, thats basically it. But now EVERY girl wants him???? You know how many guys would be doing something like this if they knew it work. Someone from the US goes to Japan, suddenly swarmed with girls. Someone from Brazil going to France and now every girl has to get in his pants. It just doesnt exist.... I hope you get what I'm trying to say here... I just dont get it. Maybe its because I'm a married female myself but whatever. Normally I enjoy a good echii with a side of harem but this anime is ridiculous.
I would reccommend watching this just to put it on the list of "I watched it to say I watched it" So people cant harp on you for not seeing it.
Your free to make your own judgement but this is mine.

4.8/10 overall
ZainRabbaa's avatar By on Apr 22, 2016

I REALLY REALLY LOVE IT!

every season has its own story and it's never boring, like in every episode something has to happen!

And the ending is happy so that it self is a thing! Ahhhhh!! Can't stop loving it!

If you watched the third season( princess no rondo) you know that SAITO died in the war, and has been revived by a fairy. This season introduces the fairy, who's actually half an elf and called Tiffania, who also tends to be a void Mage. With that being said, many things will occur needing void magic. And also, there is a lot of funny/sexual scenes. They are mainly about boobs since LOUSIE is flat chested. And ah! The queen Henrietta develops feelings for someone.. I don't want to spoil the entire thing for you, but if you like happy endings, WATCH IT!

Gzerble's avatar By on Feb 25, 2015

Zero no Tsukaima F should be known as Zero no Tsukaima: How to Kill a Franchise. It is painfully generic, and everything special about the series has been officially removed. Instead we get bigger fight scenes. Listen, if anyone would have wanted bigger fight scenes, they wouldn't be watching this series you morons. Seriously, what was the staff thinking?

It's easy to point out the many flaws. The characters have been once again flattened out and their development turned back. The story tries to be grand but instead is just generically silly and yet tries to pretend it is serious. What we have here is a very bland humor based harem/romance. Zero no Tsukaima F doesn't even manage to do that well.

Zero no Tsukaima F doesn't stop at insulting the intelligence of viewers (personality? Uh, do boobs count?), nor only insult that of the earlier seasons. The series manages to insult the intelligence of the people who were responsible for the writing. Somehow, unless the entire staff from the first season got murdered, those guys with any skill got chained and beaten so the rest wouldn't get jealous. I don't know how something goes so spectacularly wrong.

Of course, the great failure manages to make both the animation and sound worse. It does that spectacularly because now the voice acting and character designs are aimed at young teen romance/harem cast. Also, all the people who were in it for things like "personality" will find that the art is less of a good fit even though it is technically as strong as last season.

Don't watch Zero no Tsukaima F. Actually, do yourself a favor, and if you read this before watching the third season, don't watch that one either. Zero no Tsukaima should have ended after the second season. Instead, the third season beats the quality out of the series, and this season urinates on the unconscious body of said quality.