Zero no Tsukaima F

Alt title: The Familiar of Zero F

MOJ's avatar By on Mar 18, 2012

How disappointing. One of the best series turned into a cheesy tweenage harem romance. It started out strong, with a good dose of sexual humor to lighten the mood and reacquaint viewers with the main characters, along with their uncanny ability to fall into questionable perverted moments. If real life could have even half the awkward boob grab moments in this series, boys would hit puberty around the age of 8.

So this series picks off where the last one left. The imposter king of Gallia plots to destroy Romalia or whatever the name was of that city. Saito, Liouse, and the rest must stop his evil plans. A pretty basic fairytale story. However, the previous seasons were able to expertly manipulate the situation to make it unpredictable and often hilarious. With perverted humor properly placed throughout the previous seasons, amazing twists, a decent plot, introduction of modern technology, and good fight scenes, they really left the viewer begging for more. Unfortunately ZnT F has none of those. The storyline is downright childish, twists not only predictable but expected, the characters have suddenly lost 40-50 points off their IQ and fight scenes are equivalent to two chimps going at each other with clubs.

Actually, with everything taken into consideration, it seems like the story was simply thrown out the window for this season. Instead it was decided by the higher ups to make this into one of the most cliche, awkward and cheesy harem romances ever to hit the interne...i mean DVDs (down with pirating!! *cough* *cough*). I mean, there are like 7 girls, 2 of them freaking royalty, and yet they just can get enough of our over-passionate, brainless Saito. That guy actually acted like a real guy would in the previous seasons, but now he turned into those dumbass harem protagonists like the ones seen in "Shuffle" and "This ugly yet beautiful world." All the girls are simply dying for his affection, which kind of is justified by the previous seasons but becomes unrealistic very fast.

My main problem with this season is that it over-uses the "i've been kidnapped" cliche. Nearly every episode revolves around either one of the girls being kidnapped and Saito prancing around like a fool trying to rescue them.

The animation was one of the redeeming qualities of this season. They did improve the level of detail and focused on character design and environmental/magic effects. The background still remained pretty bland and undeserving of attention. Nor did the creativity of the magic attacks.

One point to note, the animation while being improved from previous versions, still sucks. And it completely fell apart by the last episode. There was a certain scene in the last episode which was just so horrible that comparatively, stick figures have more depth and colors. They rushed it, and it is fairly obvious...

The sound is mainly orchestral and it fits the theme of this series pretty well. It compliments the medieval fantasy tone of the area. However it is pretty generic and quickly fades into the background almost to the point where you won't notice when it begins to play and when it stops. Sound effects were done better though and had a positive effect, mainly during the awkward "accidental" groping scenes but positive nonetheless.

The characters were effectively murdered. The girls lost all aspects of a multidimensional personality and instead were forced to mold into the love struck tsundere airhead cast. Saito turned into a generic male harem lead and everyone else could have simply been leaves in the wind. I mean the producers didn't even bother giving many of the background characters faces. The horses the main characters rode were given more focus than most humans. When you have a queen and a princess of two different nations stalking...yes STALKING a pervert of a guy, you know one of the producers is 60 and still single. Did i mention cat fights erupt over who gets to sleep beside Saito? Even the maid joins in on the fun... b*tch slapping her mistress, royal princesses and everyone in between just so she can feel her breasts press against Saito's tweenage body.

There is nothing left to say about just how much the characters deteriorated. it hurts for me to go on...

Seeing that it will only be die hard fans who will reach this fourth season, i recommend going along with it. This season will provide conclusions for the series, and all of us have been waiting for a year and a half for this season to come out so why not? It still does have humor and some decent moments but do not expect the level of quality the previous seasons had. Furthermore the series concludes in a insanely ridiculous manner, somewhere along the lines of a "wtf how?" Watch it for the conclusions that are made and nothing else.

Replying to FadeToBlack91: I seriously wish i could analyse it deeper, however, there was no "deeper" to go. The anime was shallow, bland and badly put together. What it wanted to give its viewers was a season of awkward boob grabs and other fanservice with absolutly no story driving the characters. Pokemon episodes tend to have better stories than this whole season put together. As a Romance title it deteriorated greatly, probably due to the fact that the love between the main characters became unrealistic.

I would like someone, ANYONE to give me a logical explanation of the ending. There is no way in hell what happened could have happened at all, and I DARE you to say it was because of "the power of love"...I bloody DOUBLE DARE you. It pisses me off to no end.

nasdero's avatar By on Jul 29, 2015

I dont understand where all the hate comes from, and i dont understand why some people say this season killed the franchise... ITS SUPPOSED TO KILL THE FRANCHISE, its the last season with an ending that really is one!

It doenst happen very often with animes that tend to be 12 Eposides per Season so im Really glad that there is a "real" ending to it so i can close the chapter and move on, to many animes just left the whole plot open and werent produced anymore.

For me this has become on of my favorites and its the FIRST anime i saw Subbed (only watched dub before) because there was no other way after season 1.

People tend to say this Season has become just another Harem style boring ****, truth is the entire Series build up to this season and some thing were even ovios to happen. If you are the hero that saves the world day after day of course wimen will fall for you.

About the Story, the beginning has pretty few action scenes in it but its nice because it shows character progression and a more private side to it, you cant get emotionally attached to a charactzer if you dont share thier fellings. From the mid on the real action started, and i need to say stealing a F-2 Mitsubishi and killing a giant dragon with it is far from boring in my book.

Also the fact that Saito always kept true to his "Master" and in the end even married her if for me not really a harem this anime reminded me from the sotry much more to Sword art online than Highschool DxD (altough i live them both)

I have to say thank you for this anime and this season it showed me that watching subbed anime can be awesome and it showed me that there are some great endings with anime!

Now, beeing done with it,  i feel empty and continue with the hope to find such a glorius masterpiece again some day, to feast my eyes on :-D

Gzerble's avatar By on Feb 25, 2015

Zero no Tsukaima F should be known as Zero no Tsukaima: How to Kill a Franchise. It is painfully generic, and everything special about the series has been officially removed. Instead we get bigger fight scenes. Listen, if anyone would have wanted bigger fight scenes, they wouldn't be watching this series you morons. Seriously, what was the staff thinking?

It's easy to point out the many flaws. The characters have been once again flattened out and their development turned back. The story tries to be grand but instead is just generically silly and yet tries to pretend it is serious. What we have here is a very bland humor based harem/romance. Zero no Tsukaima F doesn't even manage to do that well.

Zero no Tsukaima F doesn't stop at insulting the intelligence of viewers (personality? Uh, do boobs count?), nor only insult that of the earlier seasons. The series manages to insult the intelligence of the people who were responsible for the writing. Somehow, unless the entire staff from the first season got murdered, those guys with any skill got chained and beaten so the rest wouldn't get jealous. I don't know how something goes so spectacularly wrong.

Of course, the great failure manages to make both the animation and sound worse. It does that spectacularly because now the voice acting and character designs are aimed at young teen romance/harem cast. Also, all the people who were in it for things like "personality" will find that the art is less of a good fit even though it is technically as strong as last season.

Don't watch Zero no Tsukaima F. Actually, do yourself a favor, and if you read this before watching the third season, don't watch that one either. Zero no Tsukaima should have ended after the second season. Instead, the third season beats the quality out of the series, and this season urinates on the unconscious body of said quality.

Sweboz's avatar By on Mar 7, 2014

Zero no Tsukaima F (season 4) has the same problems Princess no Rondo (season 3) had. The plot's boring and the character development is regressive. If I ever recommend this series to someone I'll suggest they don't bother with season 3 or 4.

Komirai's avatar By on Aug 5, 2012

Zero no Tsukaima F is the final season of the series and it features a young boy Saito getting abused by his master Louise. Stuff happens, Saito is extremely indecisive about his relationship with Louise, stuff gets fixed. Nothing new is really found in this season and I won't go too much into detail about the summary because hey, you should have seen the previous three seasons before you watch the 4th one, no?

So about the story.. heh. If you have seen the previous seasons, you'll have a pretty good idea what happens. Some stuff happens, maybe some random fanservice here and there, filler episodes randomly thrown in out of nowhere, a problem occurs and is solved with usually an unrealistic solution that probably has some plot holes. And by plot holes, I don't mean "look very deep into the anime" ones, I mean "wtf how did they just do that it didn't make any sense at all" kind of plot holes. It takes the fantasy genre to a whole new level and again, its not in a good way (example: Saito stealing a fighter jet from a military base). Some of it can be attributed to the fact that the majority of the season was rushed but all in all, they really did not need some of the fillers; it was just a waste of time. If you're one of those people that like to have an intricate plot with plenty of BAM moments, this is not the anime for you. The plot is lacklustre and very predictable. Because this is the last season, the end has to be taken into the score as well. Personal I thought the ending was very predictable but it fits the anime. Having said that though, ZnT is NOT about the story. If you have been watching this for the story, then I got news for you, choose something else to watch. The story here is just there to have at least some "meaning" between each episode, nothing special.

Al-right, the characters. The characters are again, nothing special. An abusive tsundere, some boobs, some more boobs, and a loli. This anime throughout the seasons has shown no character development, Louise and Saito were supposedly married at the end of season two but Saito is still an indecisive guy and Louise still blows him up. Usually this would lower the score as dynamic characters are always good but the thing is, it's what the anime is known for. This is why most people have continued to watch though the seasons. Sure, Saito will piss you off every time he ogles some girls breast because he completely lacks self-control or some other stuff that ticks you off. The non-changing character foils that have been constant throughout all four seasons is the selling point of this anime. You don't watch this to see some well thought out strategy like Death Note or the plain awesomeness of Steins;Gate, you watch this too see Saito getting blown up by explosions and the tsundere Louise being her usual self and the relationship between them.

The sound doesn't really do much considering most of the BGM is just reused from the previous seasons. In some cases, it certainly does help set the mood and I loved how they reused one of the openings during one of the final episodes. The energetic OP also adds towards the enjoyment of the anime; it fits the mood. Though the EP isn't bad, the usage of it is certainly questionable in some cases. Something some by Rie Kugimiya doesn't really fit certain situations if you know what I mean.

The art wasn't really exceptional and doesn't take away from the anime itself. Not much to comment on this as it doesn't feature any special art style. The battle scenes were too short in my opinion.

I'm a Louise fan so this is probably biased but I really enjoyed the series overall. If I was to use by biased score, this would be a 10/10 just because I'm a huge Louise fan. That's kind of the thing with this anime, either you'll hate the characters (I don't think many people expected much out of the story anyways) or come to love em. The story was really annoying at certain points because of the number of episodes that were just pointless. They could have easily just spent a couple of minutes or not even included certain parts (really didn't need a episode dedicated towards the crowning of a queen) of the anime. The ending however, was probably the saving grace for this anime. I personally value a conclusive ending opposed to some random harem ending. Overall, I think that this season manages to set up the end of the series only leaving some minor plot holes. Watch this with a grain of salt in mind.