Yuru Yuri

Melourn's avatar By Melourn on Sep 25, 2011

Yuru Yuri is a fun story about a few girls and their school club: The Amusement Club. Just as the club name presents itself, they amuse themselves however they can when attending. The story is very loose and the only thing holding together any kind of themes is whether they'll be kicked out of their "adopted" clubroom. The clubroom was once utilized by the Tea Club, but they disbanded and the room became unoccupied, leaving the Amusement Club's founder a key to the clubroom's door. Thus, the amusement and silly time begin. Yuru Yuri is very episodic, with no true running theme (except the clubroom thing, which turns into more of a running joke than anything). The story is definitely lacking, so I gave the story a 6/10 for being average.

The animation in Yuru Yuri is average as well, but it is well drawn and brightly colored. There are some neat things done in a few episodes where they show a starry sky or a nice sunset in which the art is beautiful. So I gave the animation an 8/10 for being above average, but not quite amazing.

As far as the sound goes, all of the characters are girls, so whilst I understand that they will (in general) all have high-pitched voices, I don't really understand why there isn't much variation between them. All the girls sound more or less the same aside from two of them (one doesn't actually make sounds [that we can hear] and the other is laid back [the cool girl], so her voice is naturally lower in pitch...), but their voices don't differ by much. I gave the sound a 7/10 because the ost wasn't really memorable and either there were only two or three voice actors for about 12 different girls or they just didn't try very hard to make each character special, BUT the background music during special scenes or moments was always well chosen. Because the background music was pretty well done, I bumped up the score a little bit from 6/10 to 7/10; still average, but better than the storyline.

Finally, the best part of this show was the use of humor through the interactions of the various "types" of characters. Yuru Yuri's writers definitely did a good job of creating very different characters. I loved that they didn't all share a particular interest. The idea was that the girls were friends and they wanted to be able to relax and hang out with each other. What better way to accomplish these two simple tasks than to start a school club? In the beginning one might be led to believe that there is a main character or "hero", but with Yuru Yuri that just isn't true. Each character is important in her own way, and they all get lines, no matter how insignificant... Which brings me to Akari AKAZA. Akari is a sweet girl that has spirit, but no presence. People forget she's in the room, they don't notice when she says things sometimes, and they even play up this sillines in a couple of episodes. Kyouko TOSHINOU is the up-beat, enegetic girl that thinks a little differently than most. She's loud, obnoxious at times, and a bit selfish, but all of that underlies the fact that she's loved by everyone for her outgoing personality...well, almost everyone.

That brings me to Chinatsu YOSHIKAWA. Chinatsu happens to walk into the clubroom (thinking it was the Tea Club's room) one day and when Kyouko sees her it's like infatuation at first sight. Chinatsu (whether for better or worse) looks just like a "magical girl" character from a manga/anime that Kyouko reads/watches religiously. Needless to say, poor Chinatsu tries desperately to keep Kyouko off of her, but she falls victim most of the time anyway (whether she is forced to cosplay as Mirakurun or whether she is squeezed half to death by Kyouko's cuddling). However, Chinatsu has a crush of her own, which brings us to Yui FUNAMI. Yui is the laid back, yet refined, "cool" girl of the group. Yui, Akari, and Kyouko have been friends since elementary school, and they know everything about each other, so there isn't much exploration as far as the relationships go. The story does act to reinforce their friendships a little, maybe even restructuring their internal friendships within the overall friendship of them all, but Yui is fairly steadfast in her decisions and her personality. While watching Yuru Yuri, I realized that Akarin's presence probably affects her standing in the base-relationship between the other three "main" characters. Although technically, there aren't any main characters...once the show gets moving along, everyone is always around in each episode. Kyouko and Yui seem to know each other a little better than everyone, but it might just be that they've known each other that much longer.

One way or another, that brings me back to Kyouko, or rather, Ayano SUGIURA. Ayano is a tsundere that is obsessed with Kyouko. She has a total crush on her, but she refuses to accept or express her own feelings. Which brings us to Chitose IKEDA. Chitose is one of two "megami" girls, but with a twist, if she takes off her glasses (obscuring/blurring her vision) she goes into "fantasy mode", which allows her to fantasize about Kyouko and her OWN crush, Ayano. Whenever Ayano and Kyouko are arguing, having slightly embarrassing moments, or what-have-you, Chitose will remove her glasses and immediately begin gushing blood from her nose because she fantasizes about the interactions being a bit more romantic or erotic. After bringing up Chitose, I should mention Chizuru, her twin sister. When she is introduced, Kyouko doesn't realize that she isn't Chitose and so thinks that Chitose is intentionally ignoring her. She gets more and more persistent and starts to bug Chizuru that much more, trying to get her attention. Chizuru is already a bit tsundere, so Kyouko's constant prodding eventually pushes her past a breaking point, and she comes to detest Kyouko. However, once the misunderstanding is cleared up, Kyouko decides that Chizuru's continued dislike of her is really just a front, so for the rest of Yuru Yuri she is constantly trying to hug Chizuru- with naught but rejection (and sometimes violence).

Which brings us to Sakurako OHMURO and Himawari FURUTANI, the show's tsundere couple "as it were". Himiwari and Sakurako are constantly at each other's throats. They both want to be student council president someday, so they are constantly sucking-up to Ayano (ironically, also a tsundere). However, Himiwari and Sakurako never fight in fron of Ayano. They don't want her to know just how immature they really are! After all, Ayano is the deciding factor in who will succeed her in her student council job. There's a "side story" about their relationship in one of the episodes, but they are brought back in throughout the series for various things. There are other characters, like a teacher obsessed with experimentation, a student that never actually speaks in an audible way, or some minor, one-time characters, but one way or another, every character has her own unique personality that shows, through and through, so I gave a score of 10/10 for characters.

All of this said, I simply added the scores up and divided by four to get the Overall score of 8/10. Personally, while I didn't find the show very interesting, I did find it funny in many ways, and I like the characters a lot! My favorite episode is the last in the series, episode 12. Just before the end of the first half of the show, they could have ended it just for laughs, and later, at the actual end of the show the did a sort-of repeat of the same joke to a lesser extent. Regardless, there was just so much to laugh about in this show! Especially Chinatsu and Chizuru's mishaps...lol.

Here are some screenshots of the final episode...

DON'T LOOK AT THEM UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS IN PICTURES BELOW:

VGCKenny's avatar By VGCKenny on Apr 10, 2012

To say Yuru Yuri should be taken seriously, is like telling a vegetarian to eat at McDonald's. Yuru Yuri is not just over-the-top, it's completely mad with a side order of bonkers. What I'm getting at, is that Yuru Yuri is insane, and that's exactly what it needs to be in order to stand out.

Yuru Yuri is about four girls who take over the tea club room at an all-girls school because nobody uses it anymore and hi-jinks ensue. Before you write this off a moe Haruhi rip-off, I will remind you that Yuru Yuri doesn't have a story so messy that it makes what a tornado does look like the work of a Cleaning-Nazi, or much of a story at all. The description I gave you is the extent of the plot, and is really more of a set up to the events that happen throughout. The story really works, because it fucks around at any and all given opportunities. The title is the first sign, because anything that has "Yuri" in the title, aside it being straight-up hentai, is not going to have any serious cards in its deck. If that doesn't do it for you, then allow me to tell you, the second joke in the series is a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment. Now, when you pull one of those that early in the series, that says you're not fucking around when it comes to fucking around.

This series is all for fucking around, and that's exactly why it's worth watching. It's a series that's trying to make you laugh, and each attempt is so over-the-top, and well-executed, that you can't help but laugh. The best part of it, is most of the jokes are self-aware and self-parody, and it's all so insanely cartoon-ish that you just know to not think about this in a serious light, because it certainly isn't. It also uses irony to its advantage, the biggest example I'll get to later, and it's not smug about it, rather it's just as loopy as the rest of the humor. The jokes are so unpredictable and immersive that, even though you think it can't get any funnier, it somehow manages to do so, so basically Yuru Yuri is to fucking around what Serial Experiments Lain is to fucking your brain.

The thing about the story is, it's not afraid to evolve itself either. In the midst of its humorous crusade, it looks at itself and decides to mix up the formula a bit. It takes its humor to new heights, even including some dark humor near the end, so the characters aren't the only ones experimenting in this anime, the anime itself experiments with itself as well, which means that you are allowed into the science lab when you're residing in the loony bin, despite not getting access to any of the sharp tools. The best example of this is in the second-to-last episode, where one of the characters is out of character because they hit their head and doesn't sexually harass a character she usually does, and the other character gets upset about it. "Wow" I thought. "Not only is this some seriously funny shit, this is some good characterization."

The characters themselves are just as crazy as the story, more-so perhaps. They're each a style parody of characters of the genre, and are willing to take whatever joke they have to its new extreme. You could say a lot of the humor comes from character interactions and implications that are blown out of proportion. As established already, there is yuri in the show, if the title didn't tip you off, but it's not perverted, as much as it is both adorable and fucking hilarious. The humor keeps moving to more levels of funny, but it never loses its charm, and that's why it works. However, sexual orientation jokes are not the only ones the characters partake in. There are a lot of jokes about the character's main traits that are funny in more ways than one. Now, the biggest irony in the show deals with the main character, Akari. She is the butt-monkey of the series because the rest of the cast always point out she is not a very memorable character, making her one of the more memorable characters in the show, making each joke all the more funnier. The entire cast is very well-developed, and well-characterized and are willing to make jokes that characterize the series.

So far, I have been saying good things about this show, but what about the bad? Well, for starters, the music and art are seemingly generic. The art especially has this problem, because it has just decent backgrounds and decent character designs. Now, I have said mundane artwork works with series before, but that's not the case here. They worked, because it reflects the nature of the show's normality, and there's nothing normal about Yuru Yuri. It just feels like it could have tried harder in the art department. As for the music, it mostly feels unimportant. Yes, it's very good, but it doesn't feel like it wants to be noticed. That is, aside from the catchiest opening theme this side of Working!!, thanks in part by the studio that made it Dogakobo, who only other previous work I've seen (Myself;Yourself) also had a very catchy opening. The ending is also quite good, though not as catchy as the opening.

The story also has some problems. You see, while it's not afraid to experiment with what it has and reaching new heights with it, it is afraid of expanding to new territory. It feels like it only wants to parody the specific genre it's in and hardly anything else, and I feel an opportunity was missed to gain more jokes out the whole experience by limiting the material it parodies to what it knows. Though, I suppose if the nice people who help you at the asylum won't let you near the pointy objects, asking for a bulldozer to expand your territory is really pointless. Another thing about the story I don't like is the habit of bringing up plot points and then never mentioning them again, or in layman's terms, having too many Big-Lipped Alligator moments. Don't get me wrong, I love a good Big-Lipped Alligator moment, but this series abuses how many one can have before it starts to get irritating. Still, this doesn't have a very big effect on the rest of the story, and you can still enjoy it all, but it is quite bothersome at some points.

Overall: Yuru Yuri is fun and enjoyable. The amount of self-parody is uncanny and in good proportion. If you're looking for something mindless and funny, than this is it. Yuru Yuri really knows what it is, and what it is, is totally, mouth-breathingly, paste-eatingly, chasing the girls around the playground with a piece of pooingly stupid. And I wouldn't have it any other way. 8.3/10

8.4/10 story
6.7/10 animation
7.3/10 sound
9.2/10 characters
8.3/10 overall
Koricz's avatar By Koricz on Oct 22, 2011

Yuru Yuri is nice comedy anime with 4 main girls characters, actually all the characters in this anime are girls :). These girls at school establishes Amusement Club, where they do nothing much, like just hang around and lounges. But when they come up with something to do, you can count on, that you will not get bored. Just as the anime name presents itself, this contains yuri, but unfortunately only in small quantities...

Story is there nothing amazing, but on the other hand, the characters are very precious and various. I really liked the humor in this anime and after some time I again laughed enough. Opening and ending songs was quite well made and voices pretty fit to their characters.

I don't want to write much more, because nobody would read it :D

Atleast on the end I can say that my favorite character is Yui Funami and best episode was 10, because I can't stop laugh all the time xD

(Sorry for some mistakes, that are here for sure)

Pocky's avatar By Pocky on Oct 23, 2011

INSIGHT:

Well I wasnt expecting to have fun with this series but I was wrong this series actually made my time worth a while, sure it has a lot of cliche and some of the jokes are way to predictable but the character are quite cute and forgiving and what I like about this anime is they try to break the 4th wall like they know how to make fun of the series and the characters. they're just jokes.  and it has some really funny moments. look for Akkarin for example she is most likely the main lead but overall the series she's treated as a joke her character is supposed to be ignored and the funny thing about it is really ignored most of the time which is funny. the star of the show is Kyouko the lively lezzie that sometimes reminds me of konata for some reason she's so lively with an idgaf attitude which makes the show colorful.

RATING:

8/10 thats quite high for a 12 episode comedic anime,

I'd recommend it for people:

For people who want to watch something different, like breaking the 4th wall , nichijou is almost the same but having it too short for comdey since its a 4koma,

people whose interested with loli infused with yuri tendencies

it has that milky holmes comedy

Worth to buy Bluray/DVD:

If they release it , I know i will.

LAST SAY:

Overall you will enjoy this. nothing to get serious great anime to watch before sleeping. just enjoy watching it.

7.6/10 story
FringeBenefits's avatar By FringeBenefits on Jan 4, 2012

This show is remarkable. It exists in something like a perfect void of anime cliches. Nothing original can get in, and nothing entertaining can get out.

I've seen my share of bad anime, but even the worst ones have some redeeming values... or at least they can inspire quality rants about how bad they are.

Yuru Yuri, however, defeats even my nearly-endless reserves of snark. It's so terrible that I can't make fun of it. Readers, I tried. I tried my damndest, over the course of the two-and-a-half episodes I was able to stomach, to think up some really clever, sarcastic things to say about the total lack of thought that went into this anime, but it defeated me. I was all set for ridicule, and all I felt was apathy and nausea.

What about it is so bad, you ask? In brief: there's no plot, no character depth, no interesting conflicts, no humor worth noting, no clever character designs, and not even any catchy music aside from an opening theme that gets stuck in your head and refuses to leave until you forcibly vacate it from your brain with an axe.

Perfect example: the show's main character, the one we're supposed to identify with, is so lacking in anything interesting about her that both the show itself and the other characters can't even remember her name. It's like a running gag. In almost any other show, that would almost be funny. Yuru Yuri wastes the joke's potential.

The other characters are just as bland: Otaku Girl, Tsundere Girl, Loli Girl, Stoic Girl, Pevert Girl, Pettanko Girl, Other Tsundere Girl, and Obligatory Rei Ayanami/Yuki Nagato Clone Girl. Those aren't even summaries, those are their entire characters. Every single one of those character types has been done to death in countless other, better anime. The only thing that defines them all is that they're all lesbians, and let's face it: in 2011/2012, lesbianism in anime isn't that big a deal.

I said before that Yuru Yuri couldn't even inspire decent snark in me, but there was one thing that made me despair: that my favorite seiyuu, Emiri Katou, who was so wonderful in Lucky Star and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, had a part in this travesty. That they would hire Katou-san and not give her anything better than the part of Pettanko Girl is almost enough to get me raging... but the industry and hard times being what they are, I suppose I can't fault Katou-san for paying her bills.

So, in conclusion: Yuru Yuri is an abyss. Gaze upon it and know what utter pointlessness feels like.

And they're giving THIS a second season instead of Lucky Star. Truly there is no God.