Yuru Yuri

FringeBenefits's avatar By on Jan 4, 2012

This show is remarkable. It exists in something like a perfect void of anime cliches. Nothing original can get in, and nothing entertaining can get out.

I've seen my share of bad anime, but even the worst ones have some redeeming values... or at least they can inspire quality rants about how bad they are.

Yuru Yuri, however, defeats even my nearly-endless reserves of snark. It's so terrible that I can't make fun of it. Readers, I tried. I tried my damndest, over the course of the two-and-a-half episodes I was able to stomach, to think up some really clever, sarcastic things to say about the total lack of thought that went into this anime, but it defeated me. I was all set for ridicule, and all I felt was apathy and nausea.

What about it is so bad, you ask? In brief: there's no plot, no character depth, no interesting conflicts, no humor worth noting, no clever character designs, and not even any catchy music aside from an opening theme that gets stuck in your head and refuses to leave until you forcibly vacate it from your brain with an axe.

Perfect example: the show's main character, the one we're supposed to identify with, is so lacking in anything interesting about her that both the show itself and the other characters can't even remember her name. It's like a running gag. In almost any other show, that would almost be funny. Yuru Yuri wastes the joke's potential.

The other characters are just as bland: Otaku Girl, Tsundere Girl, Loli Girl, Stoic Girl, Pevert Girl, Pettanko Girl, Other Tsundere Girl, and Obligatory Rei Ayanami/Yuki Nagato Clone Girl. Those aren't even summaries, those are their entire characters. Every single one of those character types has been done to death in countless other, better anime. The only thing that defines them all is that they're all lesbians, and let's face it: in 2011/2012, lesbianism in anime isn't that big a deal.

I said before that Yuru Yuri couldn't even inspire decent snark in me, but there was one thing that made me despair: that my favorite seiyuu, Emiri Katou, who was so wonderful in Lucky Star and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, had a part in this travesty. That they would hire Katou-san and not give her anything better than the part of Pettanko Girl is almost enough to get me raging... but the industry and hard times being what they are, I suppose I can't fault Katou-san for paying her bills.

So, in conclusion: Yuru Yuri is an abyss. Gaze upon it and know what utter pointlessness feels like.

And they're giving THIS a second season instead of Lucky Star. Truly there is no God.

ravenrhen's avatar By on Jun 15, 2013

Some might say that I didn't think well with the scores that I gave, but my standards are different besides I can't help but be bias about this, anyway I'll explain.

Story 10/10

Some part are just too dumb but It just make things funnier, I think this is suppose to be the life of normal teenagers in middle school but their life is just too awesome, the inside jokes are funny as well as the punch lines, the incest might be a little too much for me but I guess Its a somewhat funny.

Animation 10/10

Duh, they're too cute, Especially when they inserted some Mirakun. Although I can't say 10/10 on Chinatsu's drawings.

Sound 10/10

Too be honest this is actually my first time to get hooked with a Opening Song of an anime, Its pretty catchy and fun to imitate.

Characters 10/10

10 isn't actually enough, each of the characters has different personality and it becomes more fun when they're combined together. Akari's weak presence despite being the protagonist, Kyoko's suprisingly different attitude from the past to the present, The twins' perverted ideas and reactions, Ayano being tsundere, the not talking president , etc. . but seriously all of them were awesome.

XxWeebSter69420911xX's avatar By on Jun 9, 2016

I don't understand the story for shit but this Anime is my favorite because it makes me feel like a little girl. Get laid.

Nicknames's avatar By on Dec 24, 2015

Secret Santa 2015 Review

I've been planning to watch this show for a long time ad the event was the final push I needed to start watching it. Here's what I thought about it:

Yuru Yuri is basically a "cute girls doing cute things" kind of show, which means there's no overarching plot and it ultimately depends on the characters and their hijinks. Sadly it takes a lot of time to actually get funny (in my case I started to enjoy it from episode 6 onward). To make matters worse, the mood changed completely in the penultimate episode and added some unnecessary drama that didn't last longer than said episode.

Animation-wise, the anime was full of pastel colours that enhanced the moe aspect of the show and overall it was pleasing to the eye.

The voice actors did a good job and the background music was nice, though quite forgettable. Though the highlight of this section were both the opening and the ending. While I'm not particularly fond of J-Pop the songs were really catchy.

Overall this show could have been better and I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed, but given it has been progressing positively (penultimate episode aside) I'll give the second season a try to see if it improved.

6.5/10 sound
CaptainSlow's avatar By on Dec 2, 2015

What I Liked: Good character designs. Animation was average, with fluid character animation. Yui.

What I Didn't: Suffers from typical Penultimate Episode Mood Whiplash. Gags such as Chitose's nosebleeds become repetitive rather quickly. Some jokes are essentially harassment / abusive behaviour tarted up as comedy. Chinatsu.

Final Verdict: While it doesn't bring anything new to the "cute-girls-doing-cute-things" genre, Yuru Yuri is a light-hearted and pleasant little time-waster - provided that you're unfazed by repetitive gags ranging from boob-envy to forced kissing.