Yu Yu Hakusho

Yu Yu Hakusho

Legendary.

Rubyka's avatar
Dec 25, 2016

My all time favourite anime!

The story about an average high school boy... Oh wait, not so true. Yusuke Uremeshi is actually a total jerk (well at first someone would think). Even the spirit world is surprised, that he literally saved the life of a little boy, who was nearly hit by a car. But in process, he died, and now he thinks its better this way, and has no though of wanting to live again. Or so he didn't.

Because of his childhood friend, Keiko, his own mother, and his rival, Kuwabara,  he decided to try to get back to life. But its cost to be a spirit detective, who has to fight the monsters of the city.

And his adventures just began! It shows us a new world, with humans, monsters, and spirits, shows us friendship, makes us laugh and then cry. The development of a boy, who became a man at the end of his path.

I have always loved action animes, with some comedy, and the same time with real story. It really reminds me of my childhood, because from that time it has been my only real favourite. (let me note, that I am a girl.)

If you feel like you want some exciting time, wants to laugh, wants to smile, just watch this one, and I am sure you won't regret. ( I have watched it 9 times, and I rewatch it nearly every year, without getting tired of it.)

SuzakuConvoy's avatar
Dec 11, 2016

Story: The plot is often very formulaic: Yusuke and his posse go through different stages to get to their target, kill them, and save the world... in essence. This isn't always the exact case, but it sticks close to this while still managing to keep the viewer watching till the end. The story in itself is pretty great. Inspiring is one of the main qualities that a fighting anime, I feel, should portray and this does exactly that. Yusuke is not the enemy that most teachers and students think. His underdog nature could very well be an inspiration for someone out there. Anyways, although the story is very formulaic, it's not much of a complaint because it is so interesting and appealing.

Story: 8.5/10

Animation: The animation only really struck me as great during some romantic scenes like the ending by the beach. I don't have any complaints about the artistry or the depictions of battles.

Animation: 8/10

Sound: Very great. With any fighting anime the sound has to be, right? The intro song has me in tears by the end of the road. The sound adds to the components of the fights. Music at the right time adds to the eeriness or happiness of some scenes. And all of these things while taking into consideration how long ago this was compared to some current fighting animes. The voice actors were stellar. Definitally added to many components of this show's success.

Sound: 10/10

Characters: The characters are what made this anime. It's not the fact that all of them are... relateable. It's that their problems can be translated to our own lives. A lot of the time you can find yourself feeling bad for a bad character or feeling like a bad character who did obviously cruel things... might have had a good enough reason for that. The characters and their personalities MAKE the anime. They make the fights, they make the decisions, they make the interest, EVERYTHING. There are probably so many other things that I am missing in this one category, but this is a short review. I guess you should just know that I think this anime did way more than benefit from its characters.

Characters: 10.5/10

*TAKE IN TO CONSIDERATION THAT YU YU HAKASHO PIONEERED LOTS OF FIGHTING ANIMES SUCH AS BLEACH. THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT*

Repeat value: HIGH AS FUCK

8.5/10 story
Kingofthekickasses's avatar
Jul 26, 2016

a great since of story, character devolopment and fighting. I recommend this is you like dragon ball or one piece. I already watched it about 3 times over and love it still! The story of it can be considered Awesome.

dragonballk's avatar
Sep 14, 2015

If you're just looking for a fighting anime, this is probably a pretty good one. Lots of actions, and interesting fighting techniques/powers/weapons. If you want something with originality, and/or a not so cheesy story, this might not be the one for you.I liked it enough that i don't regret watching it, but i dont like it enough to ever watch it again.

This anime strikes me as a poor mans Dragon Ball. Much of the story is heavily inspired by DB/DBZ. The main character is much stronger then most of the other people he knows and meets early in life. After a traumatic physical injury (in Dragon Ball, Goku falls on his head as a child, and  in Yu Yu, Yaremeshi is struck by a car and dies) The main character changes from a trouble maker, into a "good guy". All of Yaremeshi's allie's in the show (with the exception of his mentors) start out as Rivals or villains. Both protagonists die at some point, go through an ordeal of some kind in the afterlife, and come back to life much stronger then they were. Then theres the whole fighting tournament that is a constant reoccuring theme in both Anime's. I do give Yu Yu credit for sticking with a more adult tone (through language and humor) from start to finish, where as Dragon Ball (and many others iv watched) toned that stuff down as time went by, at least in the english versions i saw.

All that being said, it's not a terrible rip off. I did really enjoy the Dark tournament, and the story itself after the Dark tournament. Despite the ending being kind of anti climactic, i did enjoy the surprise of it all, and the unexpected outcome. It wasn't your typical, good guy saves the day every single time kind of ending.

The animation seems slightly sub par, even for its day. There are some pretty cool looking character designs, but for the most part, the main characters in the show are pretty basic and lame.

The music in this show is pretty cheesy.

As i mentioned before, much of the characters seem like carbon copies of DB characters. The main female sidekick has blue hair. Yarameshi's best friend starts out as his childhood rival. The two strongest allies Yaremeshi has were bad guys to some degree, one of them even looks like he could be a young vegeta, and he has the attitude to match.