Yu Yu Hakusho

dragonballk's avatar By on Sep 14, 2015

If you're just looking for a fighting anime, this is probably a pretty good one. Lots of actions, and interesting fighting techniques/powers/weapons. If you want something with originality, and/or a not so cheesy story, this might not be the one for you.I liked it enough that i don't regret watching it, but i dont like it enough to ever watch it again.

This anime strikes me as a poor mans Dragon Ball. Much of the story is heavily inspired by DB/DBZ. The main character is much stronger then most of the other people he knows and meets early in life. After a traumatic physical injury (in Dragon Ball, Goku falls on his head as a child, and  in Yu Yu, Yaremeshi is struck by a car and dies) The main character changes from a trouble maker, into a "good guy". All of Yaremeshi's allie's in the show (with the exception of his mentors) start out as Rivals or villains. Both protagonists die at some point, go through an ordeal of some kind in the afterlife, and come back to life much stronger then they were. Then theres the whole fighting tournament that is a constant reoccuring theme in both Anime's. I do give Yu Yu credit for sticking with a more adult tone (through language and humor) from start to finish, where as Dragon Ball (and many others iv watched) toned that stuff down as time went by, at least in the english versions i saw.

All that being said, it's not a terrible rip off. I did really enjoy the Dark tournament, and the story itself after the Dark tournament. Despite the ending being kind of anti climactic, i did enjoy the surprise of it all, and the unexpected outcome. It wasn't your typical, good guy saves the day every single time kind of ending.

The animation seems slightly sub par, even for its day. There are some pretty cool looking character designs, but for the most part, the main characters in the show are pretty basic and lame.

The music in this show is pretty cheesy.

As i mentioned before, much of the characters seem like carbon copies of DB characters. The main female sidekick has blue hair. Yarameshi's best friend starts out as his childhood rival. The two strongest allies Yaremeshi has were bad guys to some degree, one of them even looks like he could be a young vegeta, and he has the attitude to match.

crazyworld's avatar By on Aug 26, 2015

After finally finishing this show, it's time I give my two cents. I liked it. It turned out to be a rather told well and paced well in it's beginning with brilliant characterization and a well crafted protagonist in Yusuke Urameshi. It really showed that fighting anime CAN do well. It's english dub was very consistent and the dialogue matched well. However, there were some flaws such as the love interest between Yusuke and Keiko which proved to be rather boring. I honestly don't know what Yusuke saw in Keiko. It seemed like she either was there to be a nag or keep Yusuke on a leash. Her english voice was one of the select few that got on my nerves. You could write her out and it wouldn't make a damn difference in the story. Then came the ending which I felt was so rushed and sloppy that it never really made me care. By the time I got to the Three Kings arc I was just waiting for it to end and when it did I was happy. This anime really could've been something more, but chose to waste the majority of it's time on boring uncharismatic relationships and tedious, repetitive fights (even though I liked the Dark Tournament arc for being complex) and the fact that we had a narrator (having one really killed the suspense).

So if you really enjoy fighting anime this would be a treat for you, but if you don't like cheesy, uncharismatic, boring relationships and hit and miss comedy then go watch something more complex like Sailor Moon or One Piece.

6.5/10 characters
7.6/10 overall
Deo2's avatar By on Dec 11, 2014

If you want to see some oldschool epic action anime this is for you. This anime have many emotions and it can teach you many things about life. That's why i love this anime. Of course everything has minuses so and this anime.There were some parts and facts i didn't like it but judging when this anime was made i just could say they made an amazing job.In my opinion the strongest part of this anime was characters and their different feelings.Every character was made different from inside and from outside.The story is was little bit floppy but i was kind a satisfied. About animation and sound i can't say nothing because it was made in 1990 and i don't want to compare to these days quality of animation and audio.I think they made really happy ending :) in my opinion they could have ended at 111 ep. but oh well. Overall if you are oldschool anime fan you should watch this.

lovelyblonde's avatar By on Mar 20, 2013

Has to be one of the greatest animes out there.

Don't let the 90's animation and clothes fool you, it is timeless and the first anime series that I had to own once I had watch it on Adult Swim all those years ago! I have probably watch the entire series 10 times completley and I still enjoy it as much as the first time I ever watched it. The first saga may seem alittle slow but once Yusuke gets in to the swing of things the series picks up and never stops.

If you enjoy any of those other classic animes like Dragonball Z then Yu Yu Hakusho is a must see.

PhdInCartoons's avatar By on Feb 27, 2013

The story is quite contrived, written to ensure there are plenty of fights.

Outdated, but still good

The voices match the characters well. The music is cheesy, but then so is everything else so it cant really be faulted for that

The characters are all very enjoyable. Everyone is fighting for their own reason, even the antagonists which makes every character more enjoyable

Good fun, cheesy but definitely worth a watch

7.3/10 overall