Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

SatisfactionGirl's avatar By on Feb 18, 2011

Yugioh! Duel Monsters is one of my very first animes that I had watched. It's hard for me to say negative things about it.

But I have to be perfectly honest, I loved the show, but it had it's moments where it went down the gutter.

This is a review for the Dub:

It was enough to keep me interested.

I liked Season 5 more than anything though, because Atem had priests, just like in the real past, and it was like a mini-history class that I didn't fall asleep in.

But the world being destroyed by a CARD GAME. Really? It was entertaining, but unrealistic.

9.5/10

Animation:

Enough to portray what the characters were going through. The duels had good animation too.

4Kids KILLED the show's good moments because of "child-friendly" issues.

It gets an 8/10 because of that.

Sound:

The dub scripts were EPIC FAIL.

Yugi and Yami Yugi had my only favorite voice actor, Dan Green, and most of the others I really didn't care for.

At some points, the diolouge they gave the characters was so cheesy, I said to my friend who was sitting next to me, "Kill me now."

5/10 because of the scripts 4Kids wrote.

The only characters I felt weren't needed were Tristan, Tea, and Rebecca. They are Yugi's friggen posse.

I have to say I liked Yami Yugi the most (and I still do). He was always serious, and had his moments where he got embarassed, angry, or sad.

9.5/10 because the .5 of the 10 was killed by Yugi's "cheerleaders".

Overall:

Overall, it was a series I'd watch again. It had it's bad and great moments, and if you get attached to a character, it can move you. For example, I cried when the Pharaoh went into the afterlife.

It gets an 8/10. It was good enough to keep me in my room for hours watching it.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
Jehowi's avatar By on Jan 5, 2013

Yu-gi-oh! Season 1: Duelist Kingdom

Storyline

9. Duel monsters is a card game where you have to defeat your opponents’ monsters, avoid his traps and get his lifepoints to zero. Yugi’s grandfather owns a duel monsters card shop -  One day Seto Kaiba, a rich fellow and owner of Kaiba Corporation, jumps in and offers a lot of money to become the owner of the last Blue Eyes White Dragon card that’s not in his possession. Yugi’s grandfather declines to sell it and Yugi challenges him to a duel. Kaiba, the reigning Duel Monsters champion, loses because Yugi can turn into  and Pegasus, the creator of the game, steals his grandfather’s soul and forces Yugi to participate in a tournament on his island.

Plot and pace

7. For most of the time, Yugi and his friend Joey are challenging other duelists to win their star chips - they need ten star chips to enter the finals - and the other episodes are unnecessary ‘filler episodes’ about the characters’ past and the history of the game.  Some duels seem to go on forever, and seemingly Yugi’s trust in the heart of the cards makes him draw the card he needs whenever he’s in trouble. Works every time!

Cliffhangers

8. Some duels take multiple episodes and usually an episodes stops with some sort of cliffhanger. Like: ‘I might be losing now, but my strongest monster is still waiting for you, Yugi, Muhahaha! Or: Oh no, what should I do now? Is there any way that I can still defeat this guy? You get what I mean…

Satisfying ending

9. I don’t want to spoil it for you, but you know that Four Kids Entertainment would never let Yugi fail in his mission, right? In these kids shows, the good always beat the bad. Is that an unsatisfying ending? Not at all, but just cliché.

Rewatchability

7. Meh… Not for me, but I guess fans would watch it again. I must’ve seen this season at least three times so far, twice when broadcasted on the tv, and once to re-watch the whole thing and review it, out of nostalgia purposes.

7. Yugi is a kind-hearted person who’s always there to help someone in need. Joey is bold and sometimes over-confident, but in fact he’s a caring person, especially for his sister. She needs an eye operation and Joey wants to win the tournament to finance it. Then there’s Kaiba, who’s my favorite character because he’s rich, smart and evil, but also a tender side reserved for his younger brother Mokuba. And there’s Pegasus, the evil Duel Monsters creator. Then there’s Tea, Tristan and Bakura, not even worth mentioning :D.

Conversations

6. The conversations are simple, you can hear that they’re meant for kids. Most of the duels get lengthened with sentimental talk about friendship or the hard times the duelist went through.

Art Style

8. The monsters look badass, and the series have a cartoonish look around them, though they paid a lot more attention to details.

Setting

8. It’s on an island, but the scenery often changes. Based on where they are, the duel field changes as well.

Music and sounds

8. I liked the English voice-actors, but sometimes they sounded a bit exaggerated.

Overall score

77/100

7.7/10 overall
SexyTLC's avatar By on Jul 9, 2011

Story: 9/10

It's hard to critique this anime's storyline, not because it doesn't have one, which it does, but because throughout the five seasons, there are several different plots. However, the underlying story is that the Pharaoh Yami Yugi/Atem is trying to recover his memories.

Though it may take a little while in getting to explanations of what exactly is going on, the creators made sure to explain it through the characters.

I find the story interesting because it has links to Ancient Egypt--something that interests anyone, if only a little.

Animation: 8/10

In the first season, the animation seems a bit old. Almost as if it were from the 80's. However as time passes and we get into the last four seasons, the animation improves dramatically. Though it could have still been better, the fluidity of each detail of every monster being destroyed and the flowing of water made it seem more realistic.

Sound: 8/10

In the original Japanese version of the opening theme, the songs are almost perfect. In the English version, the theme always stays the same, almost in an annoying way. The sound effects were very realistic and the background music during an episode was always fitting for the situation. Whether it was soft music for times of relaxing or intense music for times of action, it always increased the experience of watching the anime to exciting heights.

Characters: 9/10

One of the best things for an anime to do for its characters is to provide backstory on them. It really helps to relate to a character. Though we don't get much backstory and most of our characters, we get plenty of character development during the first season and the third seasons, the former being for "the gang" and the latter being for Seto and Mokuba Kaiba. I really liked the mixture of different personalities.

Overall: 9.5/10

Overall, this is an enjoyable anime that may or may not pull at the heartstrings. We all love games and this anime combines, card games with adventure and fighting evil. It's the perfect anime if you want to watch rivalries between friends and foes, fighting evil, ancient mythology (Ancient Egypt, Atlantis), alter egos, and fighting monsters.

All I can say is by the time you reach the end, you'll be looking for more...
...and you will find it in GX and 5D's.

jhall236's avatar By on Aug 19, 2014

I consider Yu-Gi-Oh to be two different animes at times (perhaps and a Yami Anime and an Anime. Hehe.) Earlier in the story, very childish most of the time. They were playing a game, yay games. And Tea is far too chipper all the time in the first few episodes. But the story gets much darker and that is when it gets great. The darker the part of the anime the better it was. Maybe that is just me but the more Yugi was the Pharoh the more enjoyable the anime was. The antagonists get darker too as the story progresses. Well other than Von Forgot his name. He was kinda lame. Marik wanted the power of the Gods, Bakura wanted power greater than that and then in between those two power hungry dark souls, Kaiba's arch rival just wants to sell some games. I feel as though it could have been left out and the story would not have suffered much, if at all. Back on point, if you start this show I recommend you finish it, because the end is by far the best portion of the anime and the first season, maybe two seasons, do it almost no justice at all.

6.5/10 story
halcon's avatar By on Sep 24, 2012

yugioh is  show that I recommened only to those how are fans of yugioh like me or have atleast play the card game or you are going to hate it for not understading what the fuck is going on cause the show is heavily base on it.

The plot is about a kid named yugi how his grandpa gave him an ancient puzzle that they said was imposible to build called the millanium puzzle, but to every ones surpise he was able to build it and by doing so he unlock the spirit that rested on the puzzle that does't remember how he and what conection he has to the card game know as duel monters. So yugi with the help of his friend set on a quest to help the spirit unlock the mysteries of his past by playing a card game. This may sound really absord but it work really well on telling the story the only thing that kills it is that they have alot of seasons that really take you away form the may show and that the show would have be better if this seasons wern't present like the noahs art, awaking the dragon, and world championship i think that those just made the show longer to just promote card that they never will be made and made the show really slow.

the animation really isn't the best but is not bad for 2000 stadards so it really visualy enjoyable to watch.

this show lack good music so it fail in that deparment but the voices are really good for both the english but the english is censored and it even deleted complete scence so i recomment the japanese if you want a more mature show if not stick to the english.

Two of  heroes of the show are really good to watch and more kaiba and joey those guys steal the show, but I can't say the same for yugi or the spirit. the supporting cast suck balls with the exeption of the villans and Mai joeys love interst.

the show is good but i only recoment it to the fan of the game not to those how haven't play the game.