Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

on

I consider Yu-Gi-Oh to be two different animes at times (perhaps and a Yami Anime and an Anime. Hehe.) Earlier in the story, very childish most of the time. They were playing a game, yay games. And Tea is far too chipper all the time in the first few episodes. But the story gets much darker and that is when it gets great. The darker the part of the anime the better it was. Maybe that is just me but the more Yugi was the Pharoh the more enjoyable the anime was. The antagonists get darker too as the story progresses. Well other than Von Forgot his name. He was kinda lame. Marik wanted the power of the Gods, Bakura wanted power greater than that and then in between those two power hungry dark souls, Kaiba's arch rival just wants to sell some games. I feel as though it could have been left out and the story would not have suffered much, if at all. Back on point, if you start this show I recommend you finish it, because the end is by far the best portion of the anime and the first season, maybe two seasons, do it almost no justice at all.

6.5/10 story
on

Although it is by no means the greatest anime ever, I have to pay homage to Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters as the anime that got me into anime. It's up there with Sailor Moon, although it came slightly later. I can remember watching badly dubbed episodes of Sailor Moon as a very small child, which eventually drew me back to anime as a teenager, but it was Yu-Gi-Oh! that was on pretty much constantly between the ages of 6 and 12, by which time I had turned off the kiddie channels it played on. I watched them all as a kid; Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Avatar: The Last Airbender (though technically not anime), Sailor Moon. If it was on Cartoon Network, Boomerang or Jetix, I watched it. And the score was boosted by two just for Yugi's hair.

The reason I have rated Yu-Gi-Oh! so highly is because I can't not like it. Although it is extremely generic, every single episode is pretty lame, and it's a show about a children's trading card game with added evil spirits from Ancient Egypt, I found the plot compelling at the time. I was never a trading card fan and I never owned my own deck, but I loved the anime passionately. I must have watched the series at least five times over. The tales of friendship and loyalty stuck with me to this day, and although it is incredibly cheesy to admit, I still watch it sometimes. I even tried watching Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal recently, but I can't bare the raping of the franchise any more.

Of course, half the 'modern' allure to Yu-Gi-Oh! is from LittleKuriboh's fantastic Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged, possibly my favourite thing to grace the internet since it's creation. If you haven't seen it, go watch it now. Of course, it was great to realise that I wasn't the only person over the age of eight who likes Yu-Gi-Oh!

on

I am scoring this based on it being for children and being a childrens anime, not as a anime for all ages or anime in general!

Okay, so I know I watched at least some of this because I recognize the story but I don't recall watching over 200 episodes. When I rewatched I watched 40 episodes but that doesn't make any sense either. Anyway, I will just put my review here. I Liked Yu-gi-oh when I was young, and I still say it's better than Pokemon. I quite after the main character was no longer Yugi though and the new stuff is no good to me. Rewatching it now, I find it slightly annoying. Heart of the cards, friendship blah blah blah, etc is a bit much for me now but I guess it isn't as annoying when you are a kid. At least there weren't a bunch of characters that looked the same and had the same name playing the same role everywhere he went (like pokemon) and it does get kind of dark at times more so than Pokemon. (I'm comparing it to pokemon because Yugioh and Pokemon were the two main series for card games and stuff of a similar nature when I was a kid). The pokemon may have been cuter, but that was about it. I personally think Yu-gi-oh is a bit more mature than pokemon or digimon. Of course, at 22, they all seem silly.

Where I lived as a kid, Pokemon was the thing. If someone played a card game or collected cards, it was Pokemon. I support Yu-gi-oh. I don't get pokemon being a card game. At least in Yu-gi-oh, they actually use cards IN THE ANIME. In pokemon they use living creatures. If one of those shows should sell actual cards it's Yu-gi-oh.

Anyway, I think it's a good show for younger people. It is mature but still fun and easy to understand for children, plus the cards are cheaper. It has some good lessons in it unlike a lot of junk on tv now days. For adults, I won't recomend it. For children 12 and under, I would recomend it.

The characters do develop and are not completely one dimensional. They teach some good lessons about friendship, believing, power isn't everything, etc. It can be comical and serious, light and dark. The characters are likable and somewhat realistic. While it is about card games, the situations can relate to real life. It is directed towards both genders. The story doesn't repeat itself repetively without making any real progress like pokemon. You might get a tiny bit of Egyptian history out of it. Overall, I give it a 8.5 for children.

on

Yugi Oh is basically alot like Pokemon or rather pokemon is alot yugi oh. I watched this show with the 4kids dub and basically you trade real dialogue in the japanese version for puns and jokes in the dub which I think is fine but some might not appealing. The story is interesting Yugi is card game god and he wins to end the playing of the card games and seal evil spirits. The coolest character in this show is Seto Kaiba he is the "villian" but he is the most memorable. Overall show is good, dub is cringeworthy but funny, animation is good with a decent set of characters.

on

Ok first off 4kids ruined this series i recommend watching the original in subs. The music in the original is amazing. The story is great and all but the ending is what got me i think yami went away. About everyone knows about the series and it should be cherished by any card game fan. Overall 10/10