Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Kuroneko1316's avatar By on Aug 26, 2015

The other day my little brother was watching it and i got a ton of childhood memories. So i watched a few episodes again and then i realized how bad it is. The story is SOOO SOOO repetitive, the characters are boring, the animation is ok, considering how long ago this was made. But seriously the only thing thats interesting about this show is the dark magician girl card. Her outfit is so revealing i dont get why the creaters put her in the show.

overall, Yugioh sucks.

jhall236's avatar By on Aug 19, 2014

I consider Yu-Gi-Oh to be two different animes at times (perhaps and a Yami Anime and an Anime. Hehe.) Earlier in the story, very childish most of the time. They were playing a game, yay games. And Tea is far too chipper all the time in the first few episodes. But the story gets much darker and that is when it gets great. The darker the part of the anime the better it was. Maybe that is just me but the more Yugi was the Pharoh the more enjoyable the anime was. The antagonists get darker too as the story progresses. Well other than Von Forgot his name. He was kinda lame. Marik wanted the power of the Gods, Bakura wanted power greater than that and then in between those two power hungry dark souls, Kaiba's arch rival just wants to sell some games. I feel as though it could have been left out and the story would not have suffered much, if at all. Back on point, if you start this show I recommend you finish it, because the end is by far the best portion of the anime and the first season, maybe two seasons, do it almost no justice at all.

6.5/10 story
angelsreviews's avatar By on Jul 22, 2013

Well here is a flashback to my childhood. When I was little, I would sit and watch this for so long, I had the cards and played the game. Now that I’m older, I actually think it’s pretty interesting. Not exactly fully good but actually alright. It starts out actually rather bad but I do say it gets better. Warning, I try hard not to actually put spoilers in my reviews but this one may have a couple.

We start out with a normal story of Yugi getting his Grandfather’s deck in ‘his dying breath’ to get revenge on Seto for taking his Grandfather’s Blue Eyes (not really dying breath as we all know). The first damn episode feels more like a pilot episode then an actual episode because they have to explain so much about the game and about Seto and Yugi’s forever battle. It also shows the first time we actually see Yugi turn into his older. How Yugi actually knows how to call upon his millennium puzzle is beyond me. They actually show them as two entities and yet, it shows them as the same as well. It’s hard to actually talk about there. The only time we actually get any information about the puzzle and other millennium items is in the second episode with a narrator. Now why they couldn’t just use a narrator to explain a bit of the game and the thing with Yugi and Seto, it just seems off.

Now, I have a problem with the idea of Kiba. He seems to be in the same class as Yugi but he looks so much older then Yugi and sometimes acts older (Although he still whines like a little baby most of the time when he doesn’t get his way). Other characters ether looks way to young to be adults even though they are and vice a versa. Characters also act rather young when they are supposed to be adults. Adults are actually rare in the game but shouldn’t at least Pegasus act a bit older then the ‘cat with his toy’ style he does. We have problems with characters proportions not working out quite right against items. When Yugi’s Grandpa holds up a card, it looks so much wider then any other card that was shown.

The art style starts like its mimicking the style of Dragon ball Z. All the characters have really spiky hair and half the time has hair that defies gravity. Characters mouths move a bit odd even for the Japanese style of talking. The lip sinks get better the more they did the dubbing but in the beginning, it looks rather bad.

The English voices… well, 4 kids did it, need I say more? The script is the worst part but at least I like the voice actors for some of the characters. I like Yugi’s, his Grandpa’s, and some of the characters with the millennium items. The others… I just tend to try to block them out.

So, exactly what can I say about all this? It’s a childrens show and it will always be a childrens show, there to give some little bit of nestalga for those that grew up with it and in my opinion, better then a lot of other shows that came out around this time.

Jehowi's avatar By on Jan 5, 2013

Yu-gi-oh! Season 1: Duelist Kingdom

Storyline

9. Duel monsters is a card game where you have to defeat your opponents’ monsters, avoid his traps and get his lifepoints to zero. Yugi’s grandfather owns a duel monsters card shop -  One day Seto Kaiba, a rich fellow and owner of Kaiba Corporation, jumps in and offers a lot of money to become the owner of the last Blue Eyes White Dragon card that’s not in his possession. Yugi’s grandfather declines to sell it and Yugi challenges him to a duel. Kaiba, the reigning Duel Monsters champion, loses because Yugi can turn into  and Pegasus, the creator of the game, steals his grandfather’s soul and forces Yugi to participate in a tournament on his island.

Plot and pace

7. For most of the time, Yugi and his friend Joey are challenging other duelists to win their star chips - they need ten star chips to enter the finals - and the other episodes are unnecessary ‘filler episodes’ about the characters’ past and the history of the game.  Some duels seem to go on forever, and seemingly Yugi’s trust in the heart of the cards makes him draw the card he needs whenever he’s in trouble. Works every time!

Cliffhangers

8. Some duels take multiple episodes and usually an episodes stops with some sort of cliffhanger. Like: ‘I might be losing now, but my strongest monster is still waiting for you, Yugi, Muhahaha! Or: Oh no, what should I do now? Is there any way that I can still defeat this guy? You get what I mean…

Satisfying ending

9. I don’t want to spoil it for you, but you know that Four Kids Entertainment would never let Yugi fail in his mission, right? In these kids shows, the good always beat the bad. Is that an unsatisfying ending? Not at all, but just cliché.

Rewatchability

7. Meh… Not for me, but I guess fans would watch it again. I must’ve seen this season at least three times so far, twice when broadcasted on the tv, and once to re-watch the whole thing and review it, out of nostalgia purposes.

7. Yugi is a kind-hearted person who’s always there to help someone in need. Joey is bold and sometimes over-confident, but in fact he’s a caring person, especially for his sister. She needs an eye operation and Joey wants to win the tournament to finance it. Then there’s Kaiba, who’s my favorite character because he’s rich, smart and evil, but also a tender side reserved for his younger brother Mokuba. And there’s Pegasus, the evil Duel Monsters creator. Then there’s Tea, Tristan and Bakura, not even worth mentioning :D.

Conversations

6. The conversations are simple, you can hear that they’re meant for kids. Most of the duels get lengthened with sentimental talk about friendship or the hard times the duelist went through.

Art Style

8. The monsters look badass, and the series have a cartoonish look around them, though they paid a lot more attention to details.

Setting

8. It’s on an island, but the scenery often changes. Based on where they are, the duel field changes as well.

Music and sounds

8. I liked the English voice-actors, but sometimes they sounded a bit exaggerated.

Overall score

77/100

7.7/10 overall
halcon's avatar By on Sep 24, 2012

yugioh is  show that I recommened only to those how are fans of yugioh like me or have atleast play the card game or you are going to hate it for not understading what the fuck is going on cause the show is heavily base on it.

The plot is about a kid named yugi how his grandpa gave him an ancient puzzle that they said was imposible to build called the millanium puzzle, but to every ones surpise he was able to build it and by doing so he unlock the spirit that rested on the puzzle that does't remember how he and what conection he has to the card game know as duel monters. So yugi with the help of his friend set on a quest to help the spirit unlock the mysteries of his past by playing a card game. This may sound really absord but it work really well on telling the story the only thing that kills it is that they have alot of seasons that really take you away form the may show and that the show would have be better if this seasons wern't present like the noahs art, awaking the dragon, and world championship i think that those just made the show longer to just promote card that they never will be made and made the show really slow.

the animation really isn't the best but is not bad for 2000 stadards so it really visualy enjoyable to watch.

this show lack good music so it fail in that deparment but the voices are really good for both the english but the english is censored and it even deleted complete scence so i recomment the japanese if you want a more mature show if not stick to the english.

Two of  heroes of the show are really good to watch and more kaiba and joey those guys steal the show, but I can't say the same for yugi or the spirit. the supporting cast suck balls with the exeption of the villans and Mai joeys love interst.

the show is good but i only recoment it to the fan of the game not to those how haven't play the game.