Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

halcon's avatar By on Sep 24, 2012

yugioh is  show that I recommened only to those how are fans of yugioh like me or have atleast play the card game or you are going to hate it for not understading what the fuck is going on cause the show is heavily base on it.

The plot is about a kid named yugi how his grandpa gave him an ancient puzzle that they said was imposible to build called the millanium puzzle, but to every ones surpise he was able to build it and by doing so he unlock the spirit that rested on the puzzle that does't remember how he and what conection he has to the card game know as duel monters. So yugi with the help of his friend set on a quest to help the spirit unlock the mysteries of his past by playing a card game. This may sound really absord but it work really well on telling the story the only thing that kills it is that they have alot of seasons that really take you away form the may show and that the show would have be better if this seasons wern't present like the noahs art, awaking the dragon, and world championship i think that those just made the show longer to just promote card that they never will be made and made the show really slow.

the animation really isn't the best but is not bad for 2000 stadards so it really visualy enjoyable to watch.

this show lack good music so it fail in that deparment but the voices are really good for both the english but the english is censored and it even deleted complete scence so i recomment the japanese if you want a more mature show if not stick to the english.

Two of  heroes of the show are really good to watch and more kaiba and joey those guys steal the show, but I can't say the same for yugi or the spirit. the supporting cast suck balls with the exeption of the villans and Mai joeys love interst.

the show is good but i only recoment it to the fan of the game not to those how haven't play the game.

SatisfactionGirl's avatar By on Feb 18, 2011

Yugioh! Duel Monsters is one of my very first animes that I had watched. It's hard for me to say negative things about it.

But I have to be perfectly honest, I loved the show, but it had it's moments where it went down the gutter.

This is a review for the Dub:

It was enough to keep me interested.

I liked Season 5 more than anything though, because Atem had priests, just like in the real past, and it was like a mini-history class that I didn't fall asleep in.

But the world being destroyed by a CARD GAME. Really? It was entertaining, but unrealistic.

9.5/10

Animation:

Enough to portray what the characters were going through. The duels had good animation too.

4Kids KILLED the show's good moments because of "child-friendly" issues.

It gets an 8/10 because of that.

Sound:

The dub scripts were EPIC FAIL.

Yugi and Yami Yugi had my only favorite voice actor, Dan Green, and most of the others I really didn't care for.

At some points, the diolouge they gave the characters was so cheesy, I said to my friend who was sitting next to me, "Kill me now."

5/10 because of the scripts 4Kids wrote.

The only characters I felt weren't needed were Tristan, Tea, and Rebecca. They are Yugi's friggen posse.

I have to say I liked Yami Yugi the most (and I still do). He was always serious, and had his moments where he got embarassed, angry, or sad.

9.5/10 because the .5 of the 10 was killed by Yugi's "cheerleaders".

Overall:

Overall, it was a series I'd watch again. It had it's bad and great moments, and if you get attached to a character, it can move you. For example, I cried when the Pharaoh went into the afterlife.

It gets an 8/10. It was good enough to keep me in my room for hours watching it.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
Jehowi's avatar By on Jan 5, 2013

Yu-gi-oh! Season 1: Duelist Kingdom

Storyline

9. Duel monsters is a card game where you have to defeat your opponents’ monsters, avoid his traps and get his lifepoints to zero. Yugi’s grandfather owns a duel monsters card shop -  One day Seto Kaiba, a rich fellow and owner of Kaiba Corporation, jumps in and offers a lot of money to become the owner of the last Blue Eyes White Dragon card that’s not in his possession. Yugi’s grandfather declines to sell it and Yugi challenges him to a duel. Kaiba, the reigning Duel Monsters champion, loses because Yugi can turn into  and Pegasus, the creator of the game, steals his grandfather’s soul and forces Yugi to participate in a tournament on his island.

Plot and pace

7. For most of the time, Yugi and his friend Joey are challenging other duelists to win their star chips - they need ten star chips to enter the finals - and the other episodes are unnecessary ‘filler episodes’ about the characters’ past and the history of the game.  Some duels seem to go on forever, and seemingly Yugi’s trust in the heart of the cards makes him draw the card he needs whenever he’s in trouble. Works every time!

Cliffhangers

8. Some duels take multiple episodes and usually an episodes stops with some sort of cliffhanger. Like: ‘I might be losing now, but my strongest monster is still waiting for you, Yugi, Muhahaha! Or: Oh no, what should I do now? Is there any way that I can still defeat this guy? You get what I mean…

Satisfying ending

9. I don’t want to spoil it for you, but you know that Four Kids Entertainment would never let Yugi fail in his mission, right? In these kids shows, the good always beat the bad. Is that an unsatisfying ending? Not at all, but just cliché.

Rewatchability

7. Meh… Not for me, but I guess fans would watch it again. I must’ve seen this season at least three times so far, twice when broadcasted on the tv, and once to re-watch the whole thing and review it, out of nostalgia purposes.

7. Yugi is a kind-hearted person who’s always there to help someone in need. Joey is bold and sometimes over-confident, but in fact he’s a caring person, especially for his sister. She needs an eye operation and Joey wants to win the tournament to finance it. Then there’s Kaiba, who’s my favorite character because he’s rich, smart and evil, but also a tender side reserved for his younger brother Mokuba. And there’s Pegasus, the evil Duel Monsters creator. Then there’s Tea, Tristan and Bakura, not even worth mentioning :D.

Conversations

6. The conversations are simple, you can hear that they’re meant for kids. Most of the duels get lengthened with sentimental talk about friendship or the hard times the duelist went through.

Art Style

8. The monsters look badass, and the series have a cartoonish look around them, though they paid a lot more attention to details.

Setting

8. It’s on an island, but the scenery often changes. Based on where they are, the duel field changes as well.

Music and sounds

8. I liked the English voice-actors, but sometimes they sounded a bit exaggerated.

Overall score

77/100

7.7/10 overall
SexyTLC's avatar By on Jul 9, 2011

Story: 9/10

It's hard to critique this anime's storyline, not because it doesn't have one, which it does, but because throughout the five seasons, there are several different plots. However, the underlying story is that the Pharaoh Yami Yugi/Atem is trying to recover his memories.

Though it may take a little while in getting to explanations of what exactly is going on, the creators made sure to explain it through the characters.

I find the story interesting because it has links to Ancient Egypt--something that interests anyone, if only a little.

Animation: 8/10

In the first season, the animation seems a bit old. Almost as if it were from the 80's. However as time passes and we get into the last four seasons, the animation improves dramatically. Though it could have still been better, the fluidity of each detail of every monster being destroyed and the flowing of water made it seem more realistic.

Sound: 8/10

In the original Japanese version of the opening theme, the songs are almost perfect. In the English version, the theme always stays the same, almost in an annoying way. The sound effects were very realistic and the background music during an episode was always fitting for the situation. Whether it was soft music for times of relaxing or intense music for times of action, it always increased the experience of watching the anime to exciting heights.

Characters: 9/10

One of the best things for an anime to do for its characters is to provide backstory on them. It really helps to relate to a character. Though we don't get much backstory and most of our characters, we get plenty of character development during the first season and the third seasons, the former being for "the gang" and the latter being for Seto and Mokuba Kaiba. I really liked the mixture of different personalities.

Overall: 9.5/10

Overall, this is an enjoyable anime that may or may not pull at the heartstrings. We all love games and this anime combines, card games with adventure and fighting evil. It's the perfect anime if you want to watch rivalries between friends and foes, fighting evil, ancient mythology (Ancient Egypt, Atlantis), alter egos, and fighting monsters.

All I can say is by the time you reach the end, you'll be looking for more...
...and you will find it in GX and 5D's.

roriconfan's avatar By on Aug 22, 2012

NOTICE: This review will cover the entire franchise as I won’t bother making different ones for practically the exact same thing: CARD GAME ADVERTISEMENT!

THE STAFF
- Animation is done by Gallop, a minor studio whose best works include this one and most of Rurouni Kenshin.
- Directed by Sugishima Kunihisa. I liked what he did in Speed Grapher but all his other works are completely lame (Tekken, Nabari no Ou, Bayblade).
- Based on the manga by some guy who was paid to advertise the game. Other than that, he never had another of his works adapted.

VALUE SECTION: 8/10 [Must… buy… cards…]
Analysis: Historical Value 3/3, Rewatchability 2/3, Memorability 3/4

YuGiOh is famous (or infamous, if you prefer) as the most successful game promoting anime of all times. It is mysterious and cool enough to lure thousands of kids into buying cards and other affiliated works, as well as a nice introduction to the basics of Satanism. It is also hated enough to get its own abridged show.

The trend didn’t start as soon as the game hit the streets. It took many years of proper filtering and expansion, and only after the remake of the original was brought overseas in the eve of the 21st century, while the first version was buried and everybody pretended like it never existed. The reason for that is simple. The original show was mostly kiddie horror around death games with low production values, episodic structure and above all NOT OVERABUNDANT PRODUCT PLACEMENT! Thus the need to lighten the mood as well as throw in more story and card references, the result of which is the show we all know in the west.

ART SECTION: 4/10 [Screw the rules; I have green hair!]
Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 1/2, Animation 0/2, Visual Effects 1/2

The franchise was never strong in production values. In fact, it is quite cheap. Animation is kept to minimum, leaving the characters almost always frozen with their mouths flapping monotonously. Coloring is nothing but basic lighter or darker chunks of layers on each side of the characters, making them look like plastic toys. And characters themselves have very basic body forms, with EXTREMELY weird spiky hairstyles. Of course they always dress them in leather and chains to look like pimps and drug dealers so the toddlers watching this can easily be swayed to find all that awesome. But to hell with all the rest; the best part is reserved for the cards and the monsters popping out of them with cheap albeit cool visual effects. Gotta promote the game; remember?

SOUND SECTION: 7/10 [In America!]
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 3/4, Sound Effects 2/3

The music themes are like the visuals; generic albeit cool. I actually found them very memorable, probably because of too much repeat, yet I will never sing or hum them for any reason.

STORY SECTION: 4/10 [What? A plan that doesn’t involve card games? Are you crazy?]
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 1/2, Complexity 1/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

Story wise, there isn’t much; it always is about some poor excuse to have people playing duels with cards. There is scenario development, there is a mystery, there are revelations and there is a conclusion. But all of the above are presented in an entirely forced and unrealistic way. And by the end of the day, they don’t really matter. Although there is an actual story, which is far more complex than in any other game-advertising series, it all comes down to playing card games.

The original series was practically episodic but then they decided to make it seem more important by throwing in the salvation of the world by ancient demons and academies teaching card games and motorcycle races and whatever, it is all there for the cool factor and the product placement. It all looks eye catchy for the victims… err, the target audience I mean, since most of the times you are made to think that if they lose a single duel, they will be killed in a most horrible and gory way, like being sliced in half, buried alive by rubble, drowning while chained, turning into a mindless zombie and many, many more freakish things like that… Or have their souls trapped in the Shadow Realm, as the dub chose to censor it so it won’t sound mortified as it would sound satanic. Great improvement there 4kids; dying is bad but being sent to hell is entirely different. Still, it doesn’t take more than 5 seconds to realize how retarded it all becomes when you realize nobody in this series can do the slightest thing without playing the game, even when it is a piece of cake to do it without it. By the way, a piece of cake in this series is probably a spell card healing 2000 life points for every fairy on the field.

Anyways, the story is practically the hero getting out of bed and having a card duel with his caretaker. If he loses, he will suffer a million deaths. If he wins, he will have breakfast. Then he goes to school where the only study we ever see him doing is playing card games with his buddies. If he loses, he will have bad scores in tests for the next 10 reincarnations. If he wins, he won’t be bullied anymore by some delinquent. Then something happens and the universe is in peril by demons/aliens/mad motorcycle riders and he needs to save the day by playing a harmless children’s card game with them. Repeat a million times with slight variations and you have yourself 4 seasons of hundreds of episodes each. All done with low expenses in production and with minimal effort given to make sense of all that, the rewards of which is millions of kids running to the closest card shop in order to randomly win that cool monster they just saw on the episode in one of the dozens of booster packs they bought with their parents’ hard earned money.

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10 [Attention duelists! My hair says you will play Duel Monsters.]
Analysis: Presence 2/2, Personality 2/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 1/2

The characters remain stale cardboards throughout the series. Yes, Yugi is cool, Jowy is funny and Kaiba with Bakura are insane trendy adversaries. Beyond that, they are shallow and simplistic, who can’t say three sentences without making a card reference. You know, something like “Wow, that girl is so beautiful! Almost as much as my precious Dark Magician Girl card. Yes, the one I sleep with every night.”

There is a huge cast of characters, which changes its secondary ones every now and then. Each one has a really vague backdrop story and a quirk as an excuse for personality. They are either silly or cool in all; but get tiring when you see them acting the same no matter how many episodes pass. Their actions are also quite illogical and their motives are paper-thin most of the times.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 2/10 [Look! A pair of breasts, attached to a woman.]
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 1/2, Story 1/3, Characters 0/4

You know what? I wasn’t annoyed that much by the stupidity of the plot or the shameless product placement. It was mostly the constant deception of its own formula that was getting to my nerves.

For example, you are not really learning the rules of the game by watching the series. Most cards have abilities that only work in the anime, the life points are different, some spell cards aren’t even allowed to be used in normal matches because they are too imba, and for Pete’s sake for a long period of time you could summon the most powerful monsters without any tribute or restriction at all.

Furthermore, all the opponents in this series cheat on the rules all the time. They always find some cheap way to draw cards out of their sleeves or spy on their opponent’s hand against the rules. What is this game telling you, that cheating is fun and easy?

The heroes of course win despite all that by cheating themselves with the most imba power of them all called “Heart of the Cards”. That roughly translates to “I got the only card that could save me in the nick of time because I have the scriptwriter in my pocket; despite the fact I had never put it in my deck and will never see it again for the rest of the show”. That is all too cheap and you mostly think it is all luck and cheating and not actual strategy used to win in most duels.

Watching other game-based anime, like Hikaru no Go or Kaiji, you don’t feel that because it is not easy to cheat there without an ingenious plan or there is very little room for the luck factor. That is what makes them far more enjoyable than this show.

Going further, this game is such an easy way to initiate someone in demonology. I mean, it has to do with losing your soul and paying tribute to demons by sacrificing something living, so they can come and serve you by taking away the lives of your enemies, the reward of which is fame and power. Isn’t that all too satanic for a kid’s show? It’s not even trying to be educational or cathartic as it practically expects you to give your money to buy the game. I may be overreacting but the messages are there and the target audience is people who still mimic everything they see.

Plus, the game itself, even when played normally and without cheating, is mostly based on luck rather than strategy. It is nowhere near the tactical level of Magic the Gathering or Five Rings. I got bored of it fast.

VERDICT: 5/10
-The Heart of the Cards was with you today. – Wasn’t it just darn luck? – Same thing.

And don’t forget to check out Yu Gi Oh! Abridged , the most hilarious parody of a series ever made.