Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

ConnerUzumaki's avatar By ConnerUzumaki on Apr 24, 2011

Sorry if my english is bad, I'm from Czech Republic

After quite childish series Yu-Gi-Oh GX, here comes the supereme series 5D's, which buries all prejudices about Yu-Gi-Oh for children very deep under ground. I don't know why, but I like this series even more than Naruto, which has been my favorite anime for long time.

Story: 8.5/10

This series has supereme plot, which is not only about card game. First arc about Dark Signers reveals the past of main characters (Team Satisfaction, Aki's special powers), and then comes arc about Yliaster's plan to change history of the Earth, and final battle aganist Z-One was totally awesome.

Animation: 9/10

This relatively new anime has animation what must not fit lovers of classic anime design, but I think characters, monsters and background are highly detailed and the best are 3D-like animations of key monsters.

Sound: 8/10

I have not many things to say about sounds, opening Last Train -The New Morning- is cool, characters have well-selected seiyuus and there are also interesting sound effects for monsters, but background music cannot compare to egyptian-like theme from original u-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters.

Characters: 9/10

That's why I like this show that much, supereme characters. They're not children (in exception of Lua and Luca), they're about 18-19-years-old young adults which hadn't easy childhood - two of them are olphrans which must work hard in Sattelite, one girl grew up treated as monster for her paranormal powers and so on. I love the main character, Yusei. He is not one of the hot-headed main characters who must first study to become idiots, as seen in Fairy Tail or One Piece. He's clear-minded and has ideology "World will explode? Let be, only if friends will be safe." There's no character you will hate, you will even understand villains why are they doing what are they doing.

Overall: 9/10

YGO 5D's is not type of anime where characters fight to the death with waterfalls of blood, but story counts on interesting plot and great characters. If you think YGO is only childish anime which has only ambition - to make money by selling card game, watch 5D's and think again.

8.5/10 story
otkaufan1234's avatar By otkaufan1234 on Apr 14, 2012

Yugioh 5'ds has to be one the greatest anime series I have ever seen. It wasn't afraid to go after dark themes such as death and beytral ( to name a few). It wasn't as overly done as yugioh! or yugioh GX imo.

Story 9/10

The stroy was amazing in the fact each character actually had a role to play in it. I also liked the idea of riding duels ( even if i didn't think it was that good at first) because it was differnt from the other series. I also play the actual card game and I have to say I loved the introduction of sycnhro monsters in the series. Why? Because this time around they themselves ( more spefically the dragon synchros used by the main characters) had a role to play in the story and weren't just used because they were used 1000x by the main characters (ie. neos and dark magicain). The only complain i have is after the dark signer arc you really don't get to see that many female duelists duel when compared to males. ( Hell I think Ruka only got to duel twice the whole seris were as Rua got more than that)

Animation 9/10

The animation was all around pretty good probally cause it was recently made.

Sound. 9/10

I loved the sound. Each ost actually tied into what was going on in the episode. For example the first time I head "  Legend of the People of the Stars " was planning when yuesi duels jack early in the begining of the series sent a shiver down my spine.

Characters 10/10

Definatly the main thing that made this anime stand out. You have a head strong protag who isn't a childish good-to-shoes that actually treasures freindship, an egostic rival who's actually managed to beat the protag more than a couple times and really grow as person and as well as girl who you see gets treated as a "psychopathec" monster by other people ( this to name a few). Character devolpment is really shown throughout the series espcially with someone like Rua who goes from a brat who acts tough to a man who has the balls to protect his sister. Everyone plays a vital role somehow or another. For example carly in particular I thought she was gonna be another joke character until after her encounter with divine. You also learn about everyones pasts and you can actually understand why the hell certain characters end up the way they are. Like I said  before though I wish after the dark signer arc there could have been more emphaize on characters like Carly or Misty ( who pratically disapeers after the dark signer arc). But well imo its no big deal.

Overall: 9.5/10

Yugioh 5'ds is an anime that anyone should watch espcially if your a shouen genere type of person. Sure its not another one of those series where people just restort to voilence for everything, but either way the story characters and everything else will probally be some of the best youll ever see in the yugioh universe

Renegadefalls's avatar By Renegadefalls on Oct 8, 2011

This review is based off the Japanese dub.

Story 9/10

The 5D's Story is by far the best of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series. As the characters in this series are older than those in the other Yu-Gi-Oh! titles the series gives a more sinister and darker feel (though playing card games on motorcycles is a far-fetched concept). It's dissapointing that it's the shortest of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Series so far.

Animation 9/10

Animation is really down to personal prefference. Saying that i like it. The animation on the monsters is done well, matching that of the cards well.

Sound 8/10

The music for the themes goes well with the anime itself. The rapid changes of the backround music is also effective being just what it needs to be at each precice moment of the anime even if it occasionaly means the lack of anything other than sound effects.

Characters 9.5

Some of my favourite anime characters come from 5D's. Each with their own problems and personal history. I would likely have given a perfect 10 had it not been for Crow Hogan my personal favourite character first appearing in series 2, and that Yusei has the amasing ability to befriend anyone after defeating them once.

Overall 9/10

One of my personal favourite animes and it gets a deserving 9/10.

9.5/10 characters
Allairis's avatar By Allairis on Mar 18, 2013

{{{{I SUMMON STARDUST DRAGON! Stardust Dragon can go muff himself, It's all about Dark Magician! }}}} excerpt from my last duel in 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~SHOULD THERE EVEN BE SPOILERS? I HAVEN'T WATCHED THIS ALL YET~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Story

If you've read my Bonds Beyond Time review you'll learn what an impact Yu-Gi-Oh! had on my life, the synchro monsters introduced in this series was a cool way to freshen up the actual game itself.

What I Liked

Ok so I mentioned I liked Yusei Fuudo, Jack Atlas, Akiza (Redhead hottie and she uses a bad ass dragon) and Crow (seriously this guy is awesome, he is suppposed to be the comic relief but damn he has one of the best decks in the series. In the actual Yu-Gi-Oh! card game his Kalut the Moon shadow was limited or something because the deck was actually dangerous in competitive play. His deck was usually placing top tier in the meta game, ok ok enough nerding out for me, time to go otaku mode, KAWAII! Ok not the kind of otaku mode

I liked the story, it seemed mature (despite the card games) and Yusei just wanted to geth things done, he didn't need to know why unless it concerned Akiza (who can blame him, I certainly can't, I applaud him for wanting to get some with the Yu-Gi-Oh! series hottest character)

I've seen bits and parts of later episodes when I watched with my younger brothers and I certainly didn't mind sitting down and watching the show on saturday mornings either to see what kind of trouble Yusei had to solve.

Oh and Yusei and friends played by the rules asopposed to Yugi/The Pharaoh who seemed to make up rules as soon he went along.... (he fused a mamoth graveyard to a blue eyes and that caused it to lose attack and ROT, and he useed Seto Kaiba's Flute of Summoning Dragon when Seto Kaiba played it to summon his own dragon.... that just makes no sense)

What I didn't like
Little Kuriboh's only other popular meme aside from "Screw The Rules I have money" comes to mind when I think about the only thing I dislike from an otherwise perfect series (yeah and Akiza has two perfect series know what I'm sayin'.... terrible breast joke I promise to never make that again haha) ok back to LK's popular meme, "card games on motorcycles" the series has a fair amount of standard duels, but this new gimmick was just weird, I mean were they planning on working on this technology? That would be cool if it was real but it just seems like tron bikes meet Yu-Gi-Oh! and they duel on them

ALL in ALL

I like this series, out of sentimentality and the fact that Akiza is hot and bad ass for having one of the coolest Dragons in the series, Crow just kicks ass, Jack Atlas is pretty cool and even gets Carly Carmine (who is the only one using a spellcaster deck and a cool one at that) Yusei is a strong lead character, and did I mention Crow Hogan just freaking rules? He could've been the main character and Yusei could've been the silent character and it still would've been awesome!

He'd have a buffalo take a diar- ok wait a cotton picking minute (is that too rude? I hope that isn't rude) I'm not AVGN
~

• Varric: You have got to tell me what was in that box, Ravaini.
  • Isabela: Which box? I've opened so many...
  • Varric: Well, those too. But later. Right now: that Qunari relic.
  • Isabela: I'll make you a deal: I'll tell you what was in that box if you tell me how Bianca got her name.
  • Varric: Fine, forget I asked. Evil woman. ~ party banter between Isabela and Varric from Dragon Age II

Just a good reason why I like Dragon Age II