Yosuga no Sora

Alt title: Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude Where We are Least Alone

maladox's avatar By on May 31, 2012

you see a lot of people call this anime out on being a hentai with a sh*ty story to go with it; of course there is always that taboo problem with incest that turns people off.

*showing to a friend of mine, first episode, everything going good until...*
"ewww! they kissed that's nasty! they're siblings! what are you showing me?!"

i might feel this way because i don't have any sibling and could just "not understand" the nasty-ness here. BUT i will say that regardless on your opinion on incest, it makes one hell of a romance drama!

i liked this anime, i liked it a lot; as much as people will think i watch it to "get off" i can honestly say *though of course there are some hottish scenes* that YES i did infact watch it for the story >.>

now that i am on the topic of the story, lets talk about it some... simply i'll just say i liked it, i don't think it's necessary to get into the whole emotional/romance/psychological thing so i will skip straight to my complaints about it. my big complaint was how there are plenty of separate time-lines in the show. * basically, sense this has roots in visual novels, each time frame is about how haru gets with each girl* so there will be some story, then wham!: back to the end of episode 2 where it shows a sort of "what would have happen IF" ...the story i liked the most was the sora arc, yeah that's right, the incestuous story. if you feel like taking my word for it the sora timeline takes place with episodes "1,7,10,11,12" but if you're guna watch it i would suggest just watching the whole thing. its not all phenomenal but is all watchable.

one last note before i end the review; the soundtrack is wonderful! if i remember right there were a few tracks i thought were weird, but most of it is very pretty. there is a particular track i remember loving *track 5 on the ANIME ost; the vn ost is pretty back* that uses "i think" a steel string guitar, piano, and violin. if you never watch the anime i still suggest listening to this song ^.^ i also think it represents the anime pretty well so i will link it *regarding i can link things in reviews, have never tried before o.O* -

darkdante14's avatar By on Jun 15, 2013

Warning: May contain rage, sarcasm and some adult words.

Let’s make one thing clear - it’s an incest anime.  If the idea of incest genre even slightly makes you sick, stay away from this anime. It’s a hardcore incest between 100% blood-related twins not that cheery “we’re not related by blood” ecchi comedy that Kiss x sis was. Furthermore, it’s an ecchi (borderline hentai), harem, romance drama.  So right off the bat, the genres suggest that it’s either gonna be an unusual, interesting incest romance anime with harem in it or a generic, shitty, boring harem anime with incest in it. Unfortunately, it’s the latter.

Story: 2 (Generic, dumb, predictable)

The story opens with our main characters arriving to a countryside town to proceed with their lives after the loss of their parents. The brother then proceeds with his life by looking after his sickly sister, attending high-school and fucking every girl in the town. Oh sorry, too blunt for you? Well, the anime is not subtle in any way so why should I be? The story which could have been an interesting and original aspect of the anime, is actually one of the weakest points. It hits every single harem cliché. (Including the mandatory beach episode >.>) Would it kill anyone to actually attempt to make an original harem anime? It’s not that difficult, just chop off the protagonist’s head or something… (<- obscure reference)

Honestly, it is hard to describe the story because there practically was none up until the last couple of episodes. The majority of the episodes is just a quick look at other girls’ panties, err I mean, paths before proceeding with the incest theme.

Animation: 7 (Good)

It’s an anime made in 2010 so naturally it looks good. Nothing amazing or anything but it’s not bad either. Good character designs, colorful backgrounds and so on. What annoys me is that the anime has genially good art that it doesn’t deserve. People put their time into animating a good looking anime that gets hugely let down by the fact that its story and characters are shit.

Sound: 7 (Good)

Nothing lacks quality but nor does anything particularly stand out. The voice acting and the soundtrack were good but once again, just like the animation department, sound department gets hugely let down by the crap story and characters.

I have a complaint about a specific violin/piano melody that seemed to be a bit overused. And I don’t mean overused in an obnoxious way, I mean overused as if the staff went: “Oh hey, this scene is [attempting to be] serious so let’s put our sad track there.” I remember watching a sad drama scene and the violin track started playing. I realized that I (the viewer) was supposed to feel sad and compassionate for the emotions the characters were going through. Well, too bad I didn’t give a shit about the abysmal characters, thus soundtrack made the scenes look over dramatic. And even though the scene was dramatic, you can’t put clowns in drama, play a sad tune and expect the viewer take it seriously.

Characters: 2 (horrible)

So we’ve come to the arguably worst aspect of the anime. If you create a harem anime that fails to deliver anything original in the story department to make it stand out in the huge crowd, you better make sure that the characters are interesting or at least - likeable. Yosuga no Sora utterly fails at both of these things.

Personally, I HATED both of the twins. The brother which is the series protagonist is a generic harem protagonist stereotype (the only difference being him digging his sister). Aside from the moments when he had a mental breakdown or was fucking the entire female teenage population of the town without condoms, he was a rather normal character. Despite being attracted to his sister, he was reluctant to engage in any intimate relationship with her and the idea incest and society’s general attitude towards it was stressful and emotionally challenging for him… Of course, after he slept with his sister regardless, he then proceeded to go multiple phases of emotionally unstable prick.

The sister was abysmal since the beginning. Demanding, selfish, unsocial, sickly, selfish, unhappy, selfish asshole that had a huge crush on her brother and no regards to morals or society’s possible reaction to their incestuous relationship. Did I mention that she was selfish?

And do I even have to mention the secondary characters or may I assume that you’ve seen any other harem anime by now? They’re your typical characters – the protagonist’s best friend that is a pervert and a class-clown, class president, childhood friend with glasses and big tits and so forth. That being said, these generic harem character cut-outs were at least likeable or rather they were so generic there was no reason to hate them unlike the main two characters. Also, a special mention to a comic relief character – a maid named Motoka who had her own short comedy segment at the end of each episode featuring cute chibi style animation.

Overall: 3 (Bad)

Yosuga no Sora is a hugely missed opportunity. With the subject of incest it could have been an interesting romance drama about brother and sister’s relationship and the society’s attitude towards them and that relationship. Instead, it focuses too much time to be your generic shitty harem with shoe-horning in as many H-scenes as possible. It attempts to be drama towards the end but at that point, you’re past the point of giving a crap and you know exactly what you’re watching.  The only remotely different thing this anime does compared to some other visual novel based anime is the fact that the protagonist sleeps with every girl as opposed to none of them and actually makes a choice at the end.

The overall impression of Yosuga no Sora is very poor. Sure the animation and sound are good but that means absolutely nothing without compelling, well put-together story and engaging characters. The anime barely explores its main subject matter (incest) and even that it does remarkably poorly.

Note: Please understand that I don’t condone incest in any way. However, I do think that it’s a rarely explored territory in a proper, mature fiction. The premise of incest can lead to an interesting character, taboo and society study in any sort of fiction (be it anime, books or movies). Unfortunately, as stated in my review, Yosuga no Sora is none of that.

Epicfailzor's avatar By on Mar 30, 2015

I really liked the story of the anime and really thought it was kind of sweet, I know the incest part make some people sick.

I myself don't understand the big deal it's a nicely made anime with good story.

I just wish it was Ionger.

Thrawn's avatar By on Jul 23, 2011

Story: Curse my unfortunate soul for expecting something like Amagami SS (Roughly the same format), but I didn't get my floating in a forest like in the OP, or much floating at all. That's a big problem right there as the OP decieved me. Pushing that minor problem aside, it felt that things were moving a bit too quickly and that I couldn't really get a heartfelt emotional feel about the relationships. I like my romance stuff to make me feel the love, to make me care. While I did feel notes of sadness and happiness here and there, it wasn't enough to make it a song of emotions.

When it says "explicit content", it's referring to Bitches Haru getting laid at the end of every arc. Mostly. But he gets some in each arc there is. It's not much of a problem, but it's like he wins them over so quickly, and that all five of the dames want his bones within the first 15 minutes. Power of the bishounen, but it's strange that they all like him off the bat, although it's forgiven somewhat as a few are childhood friends.

At first, I was a bit confused at the layout of the episodes at first, as it wasn't entirely linear. But after careful examination of the wikipedia entry of it, the first episode lays the groundwork for all the main episode arcs that follow it and that an episode at the start of a new arc may be the second for two females. It's actually kinda clever and unique in how it chooses this route instead of the standard four episodes for each gal, and then four more afterward. Clever, but initially confusing.

While the main story might not have won me over, the absurd, perverted lunacy of the omakes at the end of every episode certainly did. This is where the explicit content comes in full force, which makes every episode have the obligatory boob shot, complete with nipples. And it's another arc in disguise; a sex-filled sleazy arc of comedic hijinks with the saucy maid, so you're getting a bonus arc, you lucky dog.

Animation: This is where most of the budget went: to making gorgeous scenery, bouncing, gorgeous characters and CG fans. Not that I have a problem with 3/4, as it really looks quite good. The countryside with it's gorgeous greens and scenic lake behind the shrine, the blue of the obligatory beach episode's ocean (Or sea. Water) and the buildings in their living area that look so old-school and traditional.

The bouncing for the more well-endowed characters does get a bit absurd at times but it's to be expected from something like this. Only adds to the atmosphere. But have to give props to Sora's white dresses, which look gorgeous.

And those fans? So out of place.

Sound: The OP made my expectations higher than I wished in the first episode, when it got to it. It's just so beautiful, makes it feel laid-back and romantic. It's only fitting that the EP should do it justice and make a sandwich of delicious bread, but we get two for the price of one, both equally good with their different moods. It does make it more bearable, if only for a few more minutes.

Characters: For a romance, characters are the jelly to the tale's peanut butter. They're key to making you emotionally invested and that's what I seek. If this had good enough characters, then I could have excused the plot. Unfortunately... that wasn't so for me. Haru switches modes a few times, going from nice guy to shy and to Jerk McDouche once or twice. I don't mind his nice guy trait but the durastic shift in his personality for those one or two instances was kinda revolting, or unappealing.

Just because we get to know about the love-interests doesn't mean that it makes them better. It devolves to them being easy to tame in the three episodes they get (First is to set the foundations) and easy to get into their pants. It's the final flag, for him to truly become a macho man through the manly, chauvinistic standard. They just didn't appeal to me, simple as that.

Overall: I may not have liked it that much but I admit that I had fun. Fun in the "This is so ridiculous/Can't take this seriously" kind of way. Have to give it points for that. Can't say that I recommend this in the end as there are better romance anime to watch with this kind of style.

The omakes... damn I enjoyed those.

8.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
Sugao's avatar By on Feb 13, 2016

Yosuga no Sora Review - PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT STARTING

(don't listen to reviews throughout hating the anime)

First I have to say, english is not my first language so please excuse any mistakes I'm probably going to make.

For the ones who struggle starting the anime I will write a short review without spoilers and after that I'll write a second one with spoilers.

Without spoilers:

The anime is based on a visual novel and an eroge, you can't say you are not expecting explicit material and intimate scenes. You are going to see ecchi or even better borderline-hentai. It will happen a lot of times, so if you don't like intimate contact, especially between siblings, I recommend to at least try watch Yosuga no Sora. I don't have a problem with incest, probably it's because I don't have any siblings of the opposite sex... But you can't decide who you love, am I right? It's still a fascinating story!

When you start watching you will notice some weird time overlaps. The anime is splitted into many storylines, which all end after around 2 episodes. Don't forget, it's based on a visual novel, what you do affects the storyline. Yosuga no Sora is based on the many ends you could have reached when you played the game. The statement that he is "f*cking every girl in town" is not true at all. It is telling us the protagonists story in many different ways, and how he could have felt in love with different girls (including his sister) and how it could have ended with each as girlfriend seperately. (The grammar in the last sentence is very bad, I hope you can still understand what I wanted to say)

There are many nude scenes, many sex scenes and there will be many times you hear someone moaning, it is still based on an eroge, too. If you have a problem with that, turn the volume down or skip the scene.

I think that's all I can tell you without spoiling anything. Give the anime a chance, it's worth it. :)

With spoilers:

If you haven't done so yet, do it now, read the review without spoilers.

After telling the things above I will go in detail. I was confused after the first few times where the story began from the beginning and started telling me a new story (I didn't notice the anime is based on a VN) I wished he stayed with Kazuha, they seem to be perfect for each other, but the ending with his sister was also very sweet. I liked how they ran away from everything to life without any prejudices and problems. The only thing that bothered me was the scene where they drown but somehow manage to survive and nobody knows how.

Haruka

The protagonist who gets the ladies. ^^ He is a very kind and careful person. He always wants to help but neglects himself all the time. No wonder why every girl falls in love with him after a while. After he accepted his relationship with his sister and tried to save her life (I'm still wondering how they got safed) but nearly died was my favourite part with this character. The last decision they made, to run away and life alone was the best they could have made. (I liked how Sora removed the crumb from his lips when they were sitting in the train ;P)

I can't remember everything, but I try to review every relationship he had a little bit.

Kazuha

This relationship, the one with Akira and the one with Sora were my favourite. They complemented each other so well. The moment where she ran to Akira because she felt guilty for everything and Akira kisses Kazuha to convince her that she loves Haru was my favourite part.

Akira

Also one of my favourite relationships. They knew each other so many years and went through some sad stuff when they were young, they could have been a perfect couple. I loved how Haru helped here to find out the real circumstances of her past, who her real mother was and what happened with the amulet.

Nao

The relationship I hated the most. I never liked her and always wanted that they break up... I don't know why... ^^ Anyway, I was so happy the moment where she came in and saw Sora and Haru making love with each other.

Sora

I really like her character. She is egoistic and wanted Haru only for herself, but try to understand. Haru is the only person she has, the parents are dead and they were separated for so long. No wonder that she loves him and doesn't want to let him go. Seems weird but I liked mostly everything, there is no real moment I liked the "most". If I had to decide it would be the moment where they were sitting on the ground feeding each other their bento. ^-^

____________________________________________________________________________

I hope the review was a little bit enlightening and covering up some prejudices about Yosuga no Sora. Also I want to excuse me for the repeating grammar patterns and vocabulary, I had to decide between complicated text no one will understand because of the quantity of mistakes I've made or stimple text a kindergarden kid could have wrote but everyone (I at least hope so ._.) undestands.

Give Yosuga no Sora a try! I would like to read your reviews, but this time without any prejudices!

Have a nice day,