Wonderful Days

Alt title: Sky Blue

on

Wonderful Days

I have definitely seen better sci-fi, but it is still enjoyable, even if only for the looks.

The story is your typical good versus bad uprising spiced with a bit of love here and there. It is nothing original and not even the best execution of such plot. It would really benefit from more "gray" in its strictly defined black & white characters (and no, one is not enough). But this may be just my longing for the worlds like Witcher by Sapkowski, which is the very best example of moral grayness.

If there is anything Wonderful Days has to offer, it is the graphical aspect. I am not saying it is a pure awesomeness from the beginning to the end like Karas, but it has some pretty impressive scenes. If you can get an hd version, don't hesitate. Even now I am not sure if those drops of water in one scene were real or not ^^.

The soundtrack does a decent job of supporting the visuals, but it is nothing I would listen to days after seeing the movie.

If you want some sci-fi eye candy, grab an hd version of Wonderful Days, but don't expect too much of it.

on

This is a futuristic Korean Anime. Its set in a distopian future where the upper (ruling) class has no regard for the "diggers" (the lower class). The diggers keep the "living city" functioning but live in total poverty. The rest of the earth is a wasteland.

Memorability: The animation was the most memorable part of the film. The distopian storyline is pretty typical most of the way through the film (but enjoyable).

Character Development: The character development (the little there was) was done well. You can infer more about the background of the characters from hints and subtleties. I really enjoy this mysterious element in Anime.

Soundtrack: The music director only has one other anime to his name that I know of (ICE OAV). The Music was Gorgeous and for the most part followed the story flawlessly. The English dub was well done, typical of Anime of this quality.

Light to Dark: A serious, futuristic, slightly dark, political commentary on class divide and those who fight against it.

Fantasy Elements: Believable Fantasy, Futuristic, "A Living City", Hackers, Class Divide, 1 Short but Amazing Dream Sequence, Origional Sci-fi Tech, and very well done "Paradise Imagry" ...I call it (you'll see what I mean).

Animation: Nicely done CG and animation mix (I usually hate CG). Visually Amazing.

I won't spoil the ending because I recomend that you see this Anime, if only for its stunning visuals. Suffice to say, that the final battle is a pretty cool payoff for several plotlines, if a little forced feeling. I will also say that it is not a simple; good guys win, bad guys loose scenario, so it has that going for it. The visuals also remain epic to the very end.