Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love 1000%

ffbfran's avatar By ffbfran on Oct 14, 2014

Okay I was not a big fan of the animation but it was good otherwise. The music throughout was great, some soothing, some upbeat, but completely addictive. In fact one of the reasons I continued to watch it was the music. I loved the opening and closing music as well. The main character, well she annoyed me and was my least favoreite out of everyone. Her harem consisted of my favorite characters. Al those personalities brought together and meshed to make amazing music. The story is interesting and progresses fairly steadily. Overall its worth a watch.

fairytail101's avatar By fairytail101 on Oct 1, 2011

The story line of the anime is very straight forward unlike some other animes that go off onto side storys, this one sticks to a main point and goal. I really love this anime but it sucks that it ended. I love the characters of this anime because they are really awesome people and they are also well devoloped.The sound of the anime is very good and I don't think that it drowns out the characters voices that often only once in a while. The animation of the anime is very good and there are alot of details in some spots.

9.5/10 story
8.5/10 sound
CaptainAwesome's avatar By CaptainAwesome on Jan 27, 2012

Overall I wish I could only speak positively of this anime, since it was in fact a bliss to watch. It held very great music, which I'm not presented with too often, the story was agreeable, though much likely that of La Corda D'oro which also includes a clumsy, half-dumb girl who per luck gets accepted to a music academy and gets to study with a bunch of handsome boys, whom she either falls in love with (all of them) or they all fall in love with her.

And somehow she's able, as the absolutely first and only person in the entire world, to understand their terrible lives and fears. I'm not the type for harem-anime, which we must admit this anime strongly is, which is also a clear answer to why it's been made into a dating sim game.

But I digress, what I want to talk about is the main character; as I already stated she's clumsy and not too bright, perfect for this kind of anime actually, but of course she also lacks talent, which leads to her passing the entrance exam to this so-called music academy, by accident or luck.

In my eyes she's a complete and utterly Mary Sue character. To begin with she's unable to read music and notes, she had only been able to play the piano in a somewhat descent way, but her willpower is so great that she's able to learn this hard skill in only one lousy day.

Come now, nobody is able to learn something like that in just a single day, no matter the amount of will, it's generally impossible.

Not to mention the character's design, the other students (of course) looks pretty normal, for what is normal for anime characters mind you, and so does the boys.

Haruka Nanami, as her name is, has the creepiest, most yellow, cat-like eyes you can ever imagine. I don't know what went wrong in the designers' heads when they gave her eye-colour, but it's so psychedelically green/yellow that you won't be able to look at the girl without thinking; "What sort of toxic waste did you grow up next to?"

The design is original of course, but completely unrealistic, still considering we're talking anime, entirely because of her stunning eye-colour I branded Nanami as "ugly" the first time I saw her. It was indeed unbearable.

And the fact that she's able to be so understanding towards the boys and their problems, I must admit, somehow ticks me off. Anime creators has this liking to make flawless heroines I've noticed, and if they actually have flaws (well, I've pretty much already stated them) they're just klutzs and lightheaded. In a sense I'm surprised these girls are actually liked in the series - and Nanami is no difference.

Don't be mistaken though, the best part of this anime other than the copied storyline as well, is the music, no sarcasm added this time.

I think the male voice actors did an incredible job, and I've been watching a load of musical anime in my time, this one I should say beats them all.

The animation is lovely - Nanami's peculiar design excluded - the boys looks handsome indeed, I'm personally having a hard time figuring out which one I like the best.

The dancing however looks absolutely bizarre to anyone watching, before I saw the anime I was able to see the "music video" of the boys dancing and I practically began laughing right away. It consists of several odd jumps and arm movements, which would put any real life pro. dancer to shame. I have no idea who thought that coreography, or whatsoever, up.

There are some great animation effects included though, during the soundtracks, that I was really impressed by; the opening scene is a fine example.

I won't be giving high rates however, entirely because of the story and characters, had it been a bit different I might've reconsidered. But hey, there making a second season, I still have time to change my mind and so do you.

daysie1234's avatar By daysie1234 on Sep 24, 2011

The final episode was posted online this morning, and it provided a fitting ending, though I would like to see more. This show is about a girl who goes to a music/idol academy to become a composer. Along the way she meets six guys who end up being her best friends and she ends up composing music for them. If you like shoujo, and love reverse harem with lots of bishies running around then you'll love this. The main characters eyes are kinda creepy (yellow, really?), but once you get past that, she's pretty cool.

The story was pretty simple... chick likes music, chick goes to school for musical training, meets a bunch of dudes, ends up being their composor for their performing group. The show tried to incorporate a weird god called Muse into the story, and it really didn't make sense. I believe it was an attempt to explain where Haruka got her talent from, but it was only mentioned like twice and then never mentioned again. There was no real romance or adventure going on in here, just a girl who overcomes adversity and inspires others to do their best.

Animation:

I actually really liked the animation. It was very vibrant, lots of colors that stood out. And it wasn't like the animation stopped being awesome half way through. The entire show is colorful and the animation, I thought, made it very enjoyable to watch.

Sound:

The sound for this show was AWESOME. Literally every song was catchy and fun to hear and they left a very good impression on me. The insert songs for each character were great, and the opening and ending were very catchy too. Below, I've linked a couple of the songs for you to listen to. I understand everyone has different music tastes, but I felt that the songs really stood out and just rocked.

The Ending (my favorite):

Jinguji Ren's Insert Song (SAXAPHONE AWESOMENESS!):

Ittoki Otoya Insert Song (my second favorite):

http://gendou.com/amusic/?filter=Uta+no+Prince-sama+%7EMaji+Love+1000%25%7E has full length songs which you can download for free, as long as you follow their terms of use.

All the characters were pretty unique in their own way, and I liked almost all of them...except for the Headmaster, who's a total creepster who constantly substitutes in English, as if people who speak Japanese are supposed to automatically understand what he's saying...

This is the main female character, Haruka, whom the story focuses on. Her eyes creep me out, I really would not have gone with yellow for a characters eyes. She's your generic shoujo girl who messes up in the beginning and gets stronger as the show goes on. She leaves an impression on her friends at the academy because she is so kind and giving. Her backstory is that she had fragile health as a child and because of that, she had to live with her grandma in the country. This allowed her to learn to play the piano and her goal is to have her idol, Hayato, sing one of her songs that she wrote, which is her main reason for going to the Saotome Academy.

This is Ittoki Otoya, he's gorgeous and my favorite out of all of the male characters on the show. The show does not go into a backstory for him, however.

This is Jinguji Ren, he's a beast at saxaphone. No really, he is, and his insert song is awesome. His backstory is that he's a rich guy and his mother used to be an idol. When she died, his father threw out everything that had to do with her idol lifestyle. He is attending Saotome Academy because his family believes it's in the best interest of the family to have him be their poster child. He's a huge flirt.

This guy saw Haruka singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to a bunch of kids while it was snowing one day and decided to become an idol. Totally random. He's the silent, brooding type (think Kyoya from Ouran Host Club). He, like Jinguji is also a rich dude. They're roommates, actually and have been "friends" since they were young.

This is the teacher for Haruka/Otoya's class. He is actually a male, but he's super cute and always pushes Haruka to try harder.

There's several other characters, but I don't feel like writing a book about them. If you're interested thus far, you should check out this show. I loved it and I hope it gets a second season.

yasmin09's avatar By yasmin09 on Dec 14, 2011

Story: Allow me to describe the banal unoriginalty that these series chose to hurl at the clearly preteen female demographic. This series revolved around a stereotypically bland generic female (i.e. kind and optimistic with no other defining traits) who chose to attend a music academy so she could write music for some superstar she heard one song from that forever changed her life and then has a splew of males who fall in love with her (Shoujo Theme 2: Kindness is all it takes for guys to fall in love with women). Afterwards, there exists some typical petty drama that arises from love hexagons (heptagons?) and then they get to strive toward their pop idol dreams, one cheesy and lame song after another. This anime was worse than I expected. Sure, I expected a bland female that was just there to push the bishounen males to their dreams all the while somehow following her goal as well, typical awkward scenes between all the males and her particulary in beautiful brochure-like locations (moonlight by the pool, grassy field with a slight breeze, country side with a rainbow, etc), cheesy dialogue and scenes repeated in all shoujo, lame attempts at humor, failed attempts at character development, and the predictable ending. What I did not see coming was the embarrasingly bad songs and dances that were actually laughable, the bizarre and random cat episode, or the president's acid-trip-like reaction to their music. However, this was thoroughly unoriginal for the most part.

Animation: Typical yet odd seems like a good way of describing the animation. The background and scenery was nicely colored and designed with nothing too out of the ordinary. Characters, on the other hand, were not. They had varying crayola hair colors and styles to distinguish one from another with the main female having bizarrely creepy yellow eyes. Even the clothing was strange and almost comical in an attempt to be stylish and attractive. It looked just like a video game turned anime, and it was not really done all that well. Unlike The World God Only Knows which was meant to have that kind of an appearance since it satirizes dating sims games, this anime was not and so the animation did little to enhance the series.

Sounds: Generic (and humourous) boy band music and forgettable score. The opening and ending were catchy and comical but not memorable. The rest of the music was not memorable either. They either made me laugh by horribly lame they were or left me feeling embarrassed that females actually swooned over this.

Characters: All were cliche, cookie-cutter characters. There's the kind optimistic yet frail female who unites the males and garners their love, long-haired saxophone playing flirt, red-headed enthusiast, quiet and serious blue-haired male, fashionable male, misunderstood idol trying to achieve some dream, random guy with glasses with a double personality, cat boy, over-the-top president, transvestite, cheerful female best friend, caring grandma, pressuring father, and the list goes on. Nothing original here.

Overall: Those who like shoujo but have seen little, those who love all shoujo, or those who love fluff romantic entertainment might find this to be a good series. Those who have seen a few know that this anime has little to no redeeming qualities. Watch this for some laughs at the ridiculous songs and dances and incredibly lame plots. This would even be okay for those who want a mindless but clean kid-friendly series with little to no substance that does not offend. Those who want something of substance and originality, just steer clear. The only reason I saw the entire series was so that I could offer a justified reason/review for why no else should.

2.5/10 story