Trinity Blood

DrIvoKintobor's avatar By DrIvoKintobor on Aug 9, 2011

I've seen this series before, and quite liked it.  No different this time.  Somehow, it feels similar to Trigun, but with vampires.

Trinity Blood receives Ivo's Seal of Approval.

Poorrichard's avatar By Poorrichard on Nov 7, 2010

STORY (  5  /10)

If  Hellsing did not quench your desire for seeing vampires fighting vampires, then Trinity Blood may be the next series for you to watch.

This series has religious themes in it, but plays out more like a political thriller than a spiritual battle.

Set a long time after an apocalyptic war between the Methuselahs (eternal vampires) and humans, the story centers around a senior Deputy Enforcer for the Vatican, Abel Nightroad, who is himself a Cruznik, a vampire who drinks the blood of other vampires.  The heroine of the story is a young nun named (mary). Due to a long and bloody past, Father Nightroad has dedicated himself to being of service to the Vatican in the interests of  promoting peaceful coexistence between the two races.  Hawks on both sides of the political divide want to reignite the old war, while cooler heads work to maintain the fragile peace at any cost.

The storyline for this series has some significant holes.  Much of the backstory remains unknown, and why the Vatican would employ an arch-vampire is never really explained. It borrows several ideas from the Hellsing series, but fails to capture the true horror of a creature who would feed on other vampires. It was also hard to take Father Nightroad seriously as a menace the way Alucard in the Hellsing series was.   Both characters exercise controlled release of their powers, but Father Nightroad is more like a fallen angel attempting to redeem himself.

As I was watched episodes in the series, although emotionally satisfied, I felt that the story was not really advancing much.  What should have been 1-episode arcs were stretched in to 2-3 episode story arcs, and I would quickly watch the next episode just to feel like I had not wasted the last 25 minutes in a lead-up to the crisis.

ANIMATION ( 7   /10)

Using a nice blend of CGI and quality animation, studio GONZO creates a rich ambiance in this series. Much like a cathedral, Vatican room interiors use strong royal colors set against luxurious backdrops. Scenery animation is generally good quality, and notable for its picturesque post-card style silhouettes.  Character designs are also good quality (after all, it IS Gonzo), although some supporting character designs seem less detailed than I would like to have seen.

SOUND ( 7 /10)

The sound for this series is well-constructed and executed. Using choral voices at key moments accentuates the religious tone of  this series. Good musical orchestration, and the voice acting meets the requirements for the drama to be effective. I particularly liked the closing theme song, creates a nice intimacy.

CHARACTERS  (   7   /10)

This series works hard to create several main characters that are interesting.  Even some of the subordinate characters have character evolution through the series, and  the unfolding back story behind Abel Nightroad steals the show in the latter part of the series. The Methuselah antagonists were underdeveloped, so that often there was no clear enemy motivation, just simple mayhem to upset the peace.

OVERALL  ( 6   /10)

Although I enjoyed watching this series, the lack of background story and clear motivations for the enemies detracted from the solid dramatic and action sequences in the story. Coupled with slow story development, this series falls somewhat short of what it might have accomplished with more storyline development.

Hajime's avatar By Hajime on Sep 24, 2010

The manga is here as well, wanna know why, coz the series is great. A world where Vampires exist, to the point they have there own city (they call themselves Mathusela) and also where the humans live not in fear but in preperation of battle (they call them Terrans) but also where the scariest of all a vampire, who feeds of other vampires (Krusnik) is on the side of the vatican...but wait, how many of these are there..do they all work for the vatican? this story gives hope to the lost and falsehood to the wicked, give me a high five, pure human strength is showcased in this baby. Cool characters make the moving plot, even better, total top tenner

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Jan 21, 2011

Story: Trinity blood started off promising. There was action and intrigue. However, after a few episodes, it fell flat. There seemed to be a lot of fillers. The action started to pick up again but that was after I had given up for a while. I picked it up again but the interest never came back in full force. There were oddly placed flashbacks and the ending was just too open ended. So many questions were left unanswered. In addition, the characters seemed to make a string of contradictory decisions. However, on the plus side, there were plot twists, drama, romance and a little humor to balance things off. Trinity blood had a lot of potential but it fell short. Not enough to be a complete waste of time but enough to be disappointing.

Animation: The action sequences were more flashly than fluid. There seemed to be this dull haze in the animation but I actually liked it and I felt that it added something. Although the character designs did improve throughout the series, they started out with very elongated faces that I found strange. The costume design was beautiful and some of the characters did stand out. Some, however, blended together and I had difficulty telling them apart. There was 3-D aspect to the series which I liked.

Sound: The soundtrack was "eh". The opening and ending were nice but the tracks within the series weren't very memorable. At times, the music seemed a bit much and overkill. However, most of the time, it fit the scene but didn't enhance it. The seiyuus did a fairly good job. I liked the great range that the voices showed.

Characters: Abel felt like the only intriguing character. The rest of them fell short with little background. Although some had development such as Ester and Ion, I just didn't feel a connection to them. I felt annoyed at their decisions most of the time. I felt annoyed at several of the character's decisions because they seemed contradictory. There were flashbacks but they weren't fleshed out enough to give a solid foundation. Many of the characters didn't have any development and seemed the same throughout the series. I think they had real potential but fell short.

Overall: Had potential which it didn't live up to. If you're looking for something political with a supernatural element, then this will be sufficient. No gem but sufficient.

6.5/10 story
6.9/10 sound
ffbfran's avatar By ffbfran on Oct 14, 2014

Abel was so innocent seeming, then he turns into the ultimate bada** and ylu are all wow priest boy got some moves! so seeminlgy innocent priest trying to save the world, destroying one evil creature at a time. The sound effects were great, the animation was beautiful, the supporting characters added flavor, and the plot was intriguing. I wanted the story to go on forever. They concluded what seemed to be an arc before ending it but it was so good and I loved Abel so much I wanted it to go on and on. Someone so pure should not be so awesome. It seems so wrong and yet Abel makes it work so well the poor tortured soul. I wont spoil it though, you'll learnt he why of it when you watch the anime.