Trinity Blood

bmcafee's avatar By on Dec 14, 2014

Trinity Blood Review,

Trinity Blood takes place several hundred years in the future in post apocalyptic Earth divided between three kingdoms.  The Empire of the True Race, is a vampire kingdom with its capital in Byzantium.  The Vatican leads the New Human Empire and opposes the vampires in what is pretty much a cold war.  And Albion, or England, with its capitol in Londinium, is a technologically advanced society made up primarily of humans and a “ghetto” of vampires.  There is a fourth faction, the Order of Rozen Cruiz, which seems set on ending the uneasy peace and changing the cold war to a full fledged world war.  The main character, Abel Nightroad is neither human nor vampire.  He is a crusnik.  I think I will let Abel explain what a crusnik is in his own words:

“Has it never occurred to you that there may be something beyond the two.  Humans eat the flesh of cows and birds.  Vampires drink the blood of humans.  So then, why not a being still further up on the food chain.  A being which preys upon the vampires.” - Abel Nightroad

An interesting idea, especially since he looks and acts completely human until he unleashes his crusnik power.  Still, there’s a lot more going on here.  There’s a lot of political intrigue as the various factions try to either bring about peace or war between the human and vampire empires.

Let’s break it down:

Art:  9/10.  Wow, the designers really did an excellent job.  The sets and backgrounds are very detailed.  The animation is smooth, and incorporates 3D CGI with traditional 2D animation very well.  The costumes are rich, detailed and colorful.  (Full disclosure, I have cosplayed as a character from this series.)   Being an actual armorer (not costume armor, real steel and brass) I am also blown away by the armor in this show.  The inquisitorial department, which is basically the military wing of the Vatican, wears armor that are some of the most realistic armor designs I have ever seen in anime.  The inquisitorial armor has no spikes or ridges or protrusions common in anime (and completely unheard of in real medieval European armor).  It looks like real medieval armor, but with rocket packs and advanced weapons attached.

Story: 7/10.  I would love to rate this higher on story.  It really has a good one behind it, but it has some flaws.  First and foremost it takes too long to get going, not helped by having two complete filler episodes before the main plot arc is introduced.  As it is, things don’t really get going until episode six, and even then, only slowly.  Finally, and this is the worst sin an anime like this can commit, it has NO ENDING!  The story simply stops at the end of the final episode, with no resolution whatsoever, and no plans to continue the series.  The creator, Sunao Yoshida, unfortunately passed away, meaning the series was just stopped, and though the novels were finished by Kentaro Yasui, the anime was not.  Finally, the anime also seems to assume you have read either the novels or the manga, as it gives very little of the very detailed backstory.  If you want to know where the vampires come from, the origin of Abel and the other crusniks, etc., you will need to read the other materials.

Music: 8/10.  The music fits the theme of the series.  Takahito Eguchi, better known for video game music, does a solid job here. There are vocals with a modern beat, lots of orchestral and instrumental numbers including some great piano pieces that really set the feel of the scene quite well.  The closing song, Broken Wings, is quite good, as well as being in English.

The Dub:  8/10.  There are pros and cons to the dub.  Abel Nightroad’s Japanese voice, Hiroki Touchi, is easier to take on the whole, whereas Russel Wait seems a bit obnoxious when Abel is in his goofy human form.  However, Wait does an excellent job of changing his tone when Abel is in crusnik mode, which is a great contrast, and is a great audible cue as to when things are about to get messy. The rest of the voices are well done.  The child Pope is equally obnoxious in either English or Japanese, and I’m pretty sure he’s supposed to be.  Hilary Haag, one of my favorites, plays the Empress, and her voice is perfectly suited to that character.

Overall:  8/10.  Trinity Blood is a must see.  And I believe this anime is truer to the original novels than the manga (which I also have).  Unfortunately, you will inevitably be left hanging by the abrupt end of the series.  Just be ready for that, and try to manage your expectations.  Other than that, great show!

Recommendation:  Definitely watch this series.  If you love subs, then everything you need is right here on Anime Planet, but if you want to watch it dubbed, then you’re going to have to buy it. If I was going to recommend a set, I would probably go for the collector’s edition offered by Funimation.  At least it comes with extras.  However, its expensive.  The viridian collection is an older box set, but still available on Amazon at a great price.  It will do if you’re on a budget, but you get no extras.

-Brian McAfee

ffbfran's avatar By on Oct 14, 2014

Abel was so innocent seeming, then he turns into the ultimate bada** and ylu are all wow priest boy got some moves! so seeminlgy innocent priest trying to save the world, destroying one evil creature at a time. The sound effects were great, the animation was beautiful, the supporting characters added flavor, and the plot was intriguing. I wanted the story to go on forever. They concluded what seemed to be an arc before ending it but it was so good and I loved Abel so much I wanted it to go on and on. Someone so pure should not be so awesome. It seems so wrong and yet Abel makes it work so well the poor tortured soul. I wont spoil it though, you'll learnt he why of it when you watch the anime.

ratchet573's avatar By on May 23, 2011

Trinity Blood fails in almost every respect. It doesn't start like this though, it actually starts as pretty good. The world is neat, the plot looks like it will go to cool places, and the two main characters, Esther Blanchett (a nun whose church has been destroyed by vampires) and Abel (a priest who works for the Vatican and fights vampires) are totally likeable. We'll get to flaws in their characters as the show progresses later on, but all I can say here in the intro is that it starts off promising, so promising, but ends in failure.

The story, as stated, starts with promise. The war between the Vatican and vampires seems pretty cool and the world the fights take place in is pretty damn awesome. The whole thing comes off as something you can enjoy totally. But then about the point where little fairy children called Tinkerbells show up, the whole series degrades into stupidity, terrible pacing and plotting, and things pop up out of nowhere. For example, toward the end of the series (this isn't really a spoiler) Abel's sister explains that their brother is still alive (news to me). This suddenly leads Abel to go after his brother who shows up for the next four or five episodes of the series, despite never being mentioned or showing up at any other time. Nothing is even insinuated before a major plot point happens, it just happens and is shoved in your face. While this may be trying to be surprising, it fails horribly because it is so groan worthy and the characters act so unrealistically toward the plot point.Just watch the last episode where the series tries hard to explain the terrible story arc, but fails miserably due to terrible unrealistic actions of characters and no backstory or anything to tell us what is going to happen or what has happened. We don't even understand why Abel and his brother are fighting.

One of the stupidest parts of the plot is that Abel can't kill anyone (despite killing someone in the first episode). It means really awesome fight scenes degrade into crying and idiocy. Not that there are very many fight scenes in the series, and none are memorable. Even the final fight scene is totally worthless and unmemorable.

And more plot holes appear throughout concerning Abel. He mentions he can't swim in one episode after he fell off a cliff and swam to safety in a previous. It's small things like this that make you wish for something more. It starts promising---so damn promising---but degrades so badly. It gets really bad when a little vampire noble is introduced. Suddenly a romance blossoms between Esther and him, and there is even a point where the story is interrupted by a music video-esque scene of the two looking out a window. It's so out of place and stupid.

The animation is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not good. Characters don't look too great, while environments typically look fantastic.

The main theme is pretty good until the end when it sounds like two or three people are singing it out of synch. The end theme is okay. The music for the show itself is bad, not even likeable. It sounds like the music out of a bad JRPG, like when you are in a town in Final Fantasy or something. Not good.The voice actors are competent, though none are outstanding in the least.

Father Abel is Vash from Trigun. One moment a blubbering idiot who can't stop eating, the next a total badass. Even the plot is like Trigun with brothers from space fighting each other on a post apocalyptic Earth. Not that Abel is a bad character, he could actually be likeable if it weren't for the fact he's a total wuss and won't kill people. While Vash was like this and promoted the whole "Love and Peace!" thing Abel cries about violence and even in super awesome badass mode he becomes a huge crying wuss.

Sister Esther is likeable at first, but slowly over the course of the series you grow to dislike her more and more as the plot puts her more in focus as a typical anime girl who is trying to hard to help but always fails.

The vampire nobel boy I mentioned before is the most annoying character in the series. He likes Esther when he must be five years younger than her. His voice is terrible and raspy. The series focus's on him toward the end and that's when the show degrades.

All the other characters are just there and are never anything more than two dimensional. One of the priests at one point before the final fight pulls a locket with his daughter's face on it out and says something about protecting her, which is news to me. I guess they were trying to add depth to the character, but it doesn't work and comes off as cheap and stupid.

Overall
Don't waste your time with this series. I wish it were better because it had a lot of potential, but it degrades crazily over the course of it's 24 episodes. Once the plot moves into the vampire people's kingdom and their nobles and things like that, it becomes so boring and it's a chore just to watch. This is when the characters become groan worthy and everything becomes totally unlikeable.

And after a terrible ending, not an ending like Big O that makes you think or something like that, just a plain old terrible/stupid ending, you feel like there is so much missing. Nothing has really been explained, characters motives are not explained, the backstory is hinted at, and I wish there would have been more of it because it actually sounds interesting, and there are still bad guys alive. While it feels incomplete, for me, I breathed a sigh of relief it was over. I enjoyed the first half immensely, but the last half was so bad and so awful that I can't even suggest the overall series.

Pass this one up.

haize78's avatar By on Jan 24, 2015

Trinity Blood could have been a good anime, but it fails to deliver. The premise is interesting, presenting all the elements necessary for an exciting political intrigue story, but the shortcomings and drawbacks are so many that I'd say you can safely avoid watching it.

There's the Vatican in Italy with a teenage pope manipulated by his older cardinal siblings, the Vampires ruled by a Vampire Empress in their own country somewhere east of the Vatican, Albion which is our contemporary UK under the reign of an ageing queen, and then a covert and obscure Rosen Cruiz Order that wants to undermine and overthrow the existing balance of power. Humans hate vampires - backed by the religious beliefs of the Vatican - and vampires of course believe humans to be an inferior race, so we're on the brink of a full-scale conflict. And this is basically the only interesting part, because the rest is all so disappointing. The story isn't developed well, it's slow to start and there are several filler episodes. There are plot-holes and inconsistencies and quite a lot of contradictions. The backstory isn't clear at all, so you don't understand why the bad guys are so bad (and the main antagonist btw is introduced really late in the story), you don't even understand why the main protagonist is as he is and exactly what his motives are. There are just a few hints here and there but none of your questions get an answer. It's executed in a sloppy way. And the ending too is quite lame and absolutely unsatisfying. And it felt rushed.

Just a few characters are fleshed out and nearly none are developed. Abel Nightroad is practically the only reason why you go on watching the anime. He reminded me a lot of Vash in Trigun, clumsy, kind-hearted and good-natured, he becomes totally cool as soon as he activates his crusnik powers. But his past remains a mystery. And, given that he is so powerful, I couldn't really understand why he never seemed capable of acting on time avoiding thus nefarious consequences but just waited for the worst to unfold. Another decent character is the Vampire Empress, Seth. And maybe the pope's sister, Caterina. But, as already mentioned, nearly no backstory is given for any of the characters. The rest are stereotypes. And this is true also for Esther, the female protagonist, who is on top of that also incredibly annoying.

So, all considered, I found this anime to be lacking in regards to the characters and the plot. And it's a pity because if both characters and story had been presented and developed better, it would have been a good watch. You can tell the elements are there for something good, but it just doesn't manage to deliver.

4.5/10 overall
Jehowi's avatar By on Aug 23, 2013

Trinity Blood

Storyline

7. Planet Earth, somewhere in the future. Vampires (Methuselah) and Humans (Terrans) are fighting for domination over the world. However, the Vatican (Humans) and the Empress (Vampires) are trying to persuade both races to coexist peacefully. This is not to the liking of some Vampires, who believe they should be ruling the Humans because of their powers. A dark order of Vampires called Rosenkreutz is trying to achieve world domination by performing terroristic deeds. A subdivision of the Vatican, called Ax, sends out their best men to missions in which they try arresting members of the Rosenkreutz order.

Plot and pace

8. The pace of the series was just fine. With 24 episodes in the first - and only? - season, there is no space for filler episodes. Every single edition is relevant to the story, so you cannot miss any of them if you want to keep track of it.

Cliffhangers

6. Most episodes end in cliffhangers, however I only give this a 6 because it was getting way too predictable in the end. The most important characters always get saved mere seconds before the gunshot or before the blade swings down. In the end when one of the characters got entrapped, I wasn’t even excited anymore because you knew he’d get saved anyway. The only surprise happened in episode 22, but they even screwed that part up in the end. Can’t spoil it for you guys here, hehe…

Satisfying ending

5. Pretty disappointing. For some reason I wasn’t expecting an open ending like this, and the final episode seemed very rushed to me.

Rewatchability

6. Trinity Blood was overall a good and interesting watch. But I think you have to be more of a Vampire fan than I am to re-watch this.

8. You mostly follow the steps of Abel Nightroad, a Krsnik and member of Ax. Being a Krsnik means you’re a Vampire that lives of the blood of other Vampires. He’s a kindhearted priest who’s paying for his sins in the past and vows to avoid killing people at all costs. Then there’s Esther Blanchett, a Human who always seems to get in Abel’s way. Other characters include Abel’s brother Cain and some colleagues from Ax, as well as noble Vampires who have their own ideas about cooperation peacefully with Humans.

Conversations

7. They are what you can expect of an Anime.

Art Style

8. Very attractive and modern drawing.

Setting

9. Settings differ a lot since Abel’s traveling most of the time to fulfill his missions for Ax.

Music and sounds

9. Fantastic suitable music that fits the gothic Anime well. The tension gets built up well when Abel changes into a Krsnic.

Overall score