Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk

Alt titles: Druaga no To: the Aegis of Uruk

rigel's avatar By rigel on Mar 14, 2010

Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk, is an anime takes its name from an old 2d japanese rpg game, where you climb a tower to defeat the evil god - the usual story.

-Story-

The anime takes place after the game's hero, Gilgamesh's victory over the evil god Druaga. Our young adventurer Gil is an elderly king now, the King of Uruk. The tower however, which Druaga once resided has built itself, and its even taller!

Due to rumours that there's a legendary treasure hidden on the top of the tower, many adventuring parties as well as the Army of Uruk climbs the tower. However the tower is dangerous, many monsters and traps protects the evil god.

Anime's story begins when the Summer of Anu, A time the tower's monsters' power wanes due to the grace of God Anu, starts. Jil, a young guardian and his friends set on a journey to climb the tower to defeat Druaga and all the monsters gets in his way! However things are not so easy, many others tries to do this as well, so it's a race to the top!

-Animation-

Animation in the series are good, at the very least they are clear. However some characters could've drawn better, especially Kaaya. However they are not bad and sometimes fighthing scenes are even great.

-Sound-

The opening video was the probably most creative thing I've ever watched. The tracks used in the anime and opening track as well are definitely great, they don't ruin the mood of the anime.

-Characters-

The characters are all right, but they definitely are not unique. There are some surprises though, not all of them are who they seem.

-Overall-

Overall the Tower of Druaga is a very fun anime to watch, especially if you've played any japanese 2d rpg games in the past. The first episode is full of rpg parodies the makes your lungs ache from laughing, it's really humorous any cynical as well. The story seems straightforward - it even moves straightforward - but without giving spoilers I can tell you this much, there are many things you won't expect! The series got quite a good humour which makes you go through 12 episodes without getting bored. I can recommend this anime to anyone who's looking for action packed with comedy/parody. It's definately worth watching.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on May 17, 2012

Notice: This review covers both seasons of the franchise. It is so pathetically mediocre, I needed both of them to make it look big enough.

Druaga is a pathetically mediocre title for the simple reason it was made by GONZO. Hm, I might as well have said “made by some 8 year olds with pencils and crayons” because that is how far and deep the show ever goes in terms of directing.

The story is about some tower with some demon on top and some teenagers trying to get there in order to defeat him. It would be pointless to get any further than that, as all the rest of the story is a big pile of nonsense. Plot holes, inconsistencies, fillers, conveniences and generally anything that would make any average storywriter to laugh with how little they tied to make something good out of it. Then again this is supposed to be a comedy, so one can excuse it to have a lame story… No wait, it is also drama… No, now it is mystery… No, now it is parody… and now it is a blue parrot with a tuxedo in the depths of the sea. HEY GET THOSE CRAYONS AWAY FROM THE KIDS! … I mean the storywriters.

Anyways, this was supposed to be a classic JRPG adventure, based on a videogame. It was supposed to be the classic tale of good versus evil, dragons and wizards and Gods fighting demons for the salvation of mankind. But in the hands of GONZO it turned into a steaming pile of cra…ckers on top of a green elephant in space. DAMN YOU KIDS, WHERE DID YOU GET MORE CRAYONS?

To hell with the story; they did nothing with it other than random comedy and poorly executed drama. Maybe the characters are somewhat better. Hm, the character portraits look fine, albeit generic. Let’s check their profiles… My, they all have, like, two lines of backdrop. And their intelligent is so low! And hell if they ain’t generic to the point of forgetting them as soon as I take my eyes away from them. Anyways, not even the characters mean much, since the story is random crayons and character development comes out of their as…tral super energy sword finishing slash. WILL SOMEONE LOCK UP THOSE BRATS ALREADY?

As usual, all the money was poured into the production values, to make the otherwise terrible story and cast to look nicer. But no amount of fancy artwork can save a campaign if the dungeon master is a GONZO… I mean a jerk. And anyway, the whole thing is just a tower with random decorations and monsters and traps, plus a town outside. And that is supposed to be the whole world? Because we are talking about a world threat here. Supposed… And whatever, it ain’t like the animation or the soundtrack are great or anything. There aren’t any memorable songs in here and everyone looks generic to the point of forgetting them as soon as... Um, what I was talking about?

As for the humor part, ok, it is funny if your expectations are low and you just want to laugh at clichés (both in games and anime in general). Too bad you will be doing the same even in moments of tension because of the lame directing and the random missions. This is hardly the best of what fantasy has to offer in the medium; Record of Lodoss War was wonderful for its cheesiness, while Mahoujin Guruguru is ten times funnier and more well directed despite its low production values. There is no value in this gonzoed show and I don’t recommend it to anyone.

SHUT UP BRATS, NO CRAYONS FOR YOU!

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 8/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 1/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 2/2

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 2/4, Sound Effects 2/3

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 1/2, Complexity 1/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 3/10
Analysis: Presence 0/2, Personality 1/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 1/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 0/1, Sound 0/2, Story 1/3, Characters 0/4

VERDICT: 4/10

DuskFey's avatar By DuskFey on Feb 16, 2012

Anime in 200 Words: The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk

Premise: An evil tower looms over the land and spews monsters down onto the town below. Brave warriors known as climbers must fight to the very top to defeat Druaga and save their world.

Powers: I love the “class system” feel that this has because it was based on a video game; it makes a really good party dynamic.Plus,  I LOVE lightning golf. It’s just funny.

Comedy: The humor in Aegis of Uruk is a mix of zany and slapstick. It’s usually at someone’s expense, but the episode full of bizarre traps shows just how much fun the animators were having.

Fourth Wall: In one episode, Kaya stops to play The Tower of Druaga using a guide so she can get a hidden power up. Weird as this is, I like how most of the cast starts acting like normal people: wanting to watch, play, or just hang out.

Overall: The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk is a great bet for fans of gaming or fantasy. There’s action, humor, a hint of romance, and an epic quest to save the world. This anime really won me over. ^_^

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
ilubsanime's avatar By ilubsanime on Mar 30, 2013

**NO SPOILERS HEREEEEEEE******

The first episode of this show was sooooooooo dam funny. So was the next few episodes. Then it gets more serious as the show goes on, which is inevitable if you want to have a good story.

I felt the first season was better than the 2nd season. There was little comedy in the 2nd season and it was good, but not anything ecstatic.

Overall I gave it 9/10 because of how hard i laughed during the first season. I would absolutely reccomend it, but the 2nd season was kind of like: oh hey i really want to know what it going to happen now, okay some new story, umm ok sorta good, but this feels like a new story altogether now... and then the ending was kinda blah for me.... it was overall satisfying, but not what i expected. (the 9/10 is based on the FIRST season, not the 2nd)

9.5/10 characters