Tokyo Mew Mew

Alt titles: Mew Mew Power

Clbull's avatar By Clbull on Jul 25, 2014

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Tokyo Mew Mew is a magical girl anime set in Tokyo that initially seems interesting until you notice a pattern in the plot. Five girls spliced with rare animal DNA are sent on a mission to defeat alien invaders threatening to take over the Earth. That is where the good in this series ends.

If there's one thing that annoys me about TMM, it's the lack of real combat, the consistent reusing of stock footage of the five girls transforming or using their attacks and how weak the characters actually are in comparison to their antagonists. In fact, Episode 3 reuses stock footage of Lettuce using her Ribbon Lettuce Rush attack in such ridiculous quantities that it almost becomes a parody of itself.

Then there's the fact the girls constantly get stuck in situations that would usually kill them, only to be saved by mysterious deux ex machina; in the form of many things such as Misha (their pet robot), the Blue Knight (explained in the next paragraph) or moments of sheer, dumb luck. In fact, I cannot really name an episode later in the series where the girls haven't been rescued by this.

Then there's Aoyama and his connection to being the Blue Knight (one of Ichigo's saviours) and Deep Blue (the primary antagonist.) It makes little to no sense that this would be the case, especially if Aoyama were not conscious of this fact before the revelation later in the series.

While the romance between Ichigo and Aoyama is a strong complaining point to fans of the series wishing to ship Ichigo with Kishu (which makes little sense, as he's incredibly pushy throughout much of the series and only shows real empathy for Ichigo near the end), it's actually the strongest part of the series even if it's incredibly clichéd. Yes, Aoyama is literally a nice, sweet and polite guy who has very little surrounding him other than being good at kendo, being attractive to other girls in school, but the Blue Knight plot twist wasn't bad at all despite being poorly explained.

Overall, I would not really recommend this series. It's bad, even for the magical girl genre. And don't get me started on the 4kids dub (Mew Mew Power) either... no dub has ever made me cringe so hard in my life before.

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Jan 28, 2010

Story: Up to date, this has to be the worst anime that I have seen. I do not know what kept me from stopping because I have little good to say about this and I am incredibly embarrassed to have say I have seen all 50 something episodes. It started off badly and ended that way with a plethora of fillers in middle. It's like a crap sandwich with stale bread so to speak. Fillers have little point and feel like waste of time. The "romance" was  flawed and Mew Mew reeked of typical shojo which is annoying girl with little redeeming qualities somehow attracts high status boys. If you like that type of shojo, then Mew Mew maybe semi-enjoyable. For magical girl lovers, this falls flat. The transformation are bad Sailor Moon ripoffs and Ichigo has one move with one upgrade while the others only have one (which were not very good in the first place). Mew Mew's demographic is also confusing because I'm not sure who exactly is supposed to like this. Content too mature for youngins and too immature for teens. Maybe preteens is a good age, I'm not too sure.

Animation: I guess for it's time that animation was decent. I was not a fan of the costumes and the eyes of the characters. All of the girls had such sluttly looking uniforms. The male characters were superior to the girls but not by too much. Ryou and Kish were lookers but Ryou was ruined with his wardrobe. The chimera animals were ridiculous and scenes were sometimes incoherent. Not very visually appealing to say at the very least.

Sound: The female voices got pretty annoying and there seemed to be the same audio tracks being played for every emotion. It wasn't that bad but not that good either.

Characters: Little development that does happen falls flat. Hella annoying and far from likable. Not very memorable either. The aliens and Deep Blue-sama had potential that was never filled.

Overall: I would not recommend this to someone nor every watch it again. I truly question why I bothered in the first place.

Ulicia's avatar By Ulicia on Jan 12, 2011

My ratings are all based on my opinions of the show when I was younger, which is why it's a perfect score.  All in all, Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power in the english version) made my childhood.  Although it may not be my favorite anime anymore, it was extremely creative to me when I was little and to be honest I still like it, even now.  The artwork is splendid as well.  The characters may not be very complex, but the storyline itself, though kind of cliched, has many twists and turns that will keep you watching the show until the end.

wolfangel87's avatar By wolfangel87 on Dec 4, 2010

Story: With the distinct feeling of a Sailor Moon anime, Tokyo Mew Mew brings on a variety of characters.  With the five girls banding together to fight the forces of evil and saving the world they are transformed into animals with the powers of the elements.  A different villain at every turn and new elemental powers.

Animation: The animation style was a little more on the cartoony side although the series was drawn very well.

Sound: The sounds was of good quality with a catchy theme song.

Characters: The characters are not as developed as the characters is Sailor Moon, although there are glimpses of life outside of the Mew Mew group the stories are not really divulged at great length.  Although there has been a wonderful emphasis placed on the distinct differences between them.

Overall: Another feel-good comedy with family-friendly fights and enough excitement to keep the plot moving right along.

9.5/10 animation
9.1/10 overall
Betsybop123's avatar By Betsybop123 on Jan 22, 2011

Tokyo Mew Mew isn't perfect. There are some things that are amazing, but there is also a lot that could have been done much better. I love nekomimi, and the main chacter being part cat was what originally drew me in. Overall it is a decent series.

I love how in the final episodes a lot of small things come together and make sense, yet the actual ending is pure cliche. It truely dissapointed me. Not that i don't like happy ending's but how everything magicly gets resolved in the final epidode is just a terrible story line which seems to have no real thought put into the ending. A bit of Tradegy never hurt anyone.

Animation:
This is the only thing that truely annoyed me every time I watched this. Espicially in the fighting sceenes the background would always stay  the same when Ichigo used her move (Cloudy sky) even if it was nightime or she was in building. The other's I could understand because the backgrounds went with their Red Data Animals, But i don't get hers. If I ever watched many episodes in a row I got to the point where I would skip the long metomorphisis Sceenes, simply becaus they happened to often (EVERY TIME) and when all 5 transformed at once it took almost two minutes of the same thing i saw over and over again.

Sound:
I honestly didn't listen to rate the sound. Besides talking i don't think I ever picked up on background noise unless it was part of the story.

In the begining the charictors are all cliched, and as the story progresses only a few of them actally develop and change. Unless there was an episode focus solely on one character you never got much background information on their lifes, For example you never see Lettuce's Family or house, or ever hear of them i don't think. However for the characters that did chaneg their stories were very good. For some reason I grew attached to Kish and he became my favorite character even with his insane evil outbursts.