Tokyo Mew Mew

Alt titles: Mew Mew Power

nasreen10's avatar By on Jan 28, 2010

Story: Up to date, this has to be the worst anime that I have seen. I do not know what kept me from stopping because I have little good to say about this and I am incredibly embarrassed to have say I have seen all 50 something episodes. It started off badly and ended that way with a plethora of fillers in middle. It's like a crap sandwich with stale bread so to speak. Fillers have little point and feel like waste of time. The "romance" was  flawed and Mew Mew reeked of typical shojo which is annoying girl with little redeeming qualities somehow attracts high status boys. If you like that type of shojo, then Mew Mew maybe semi-enjoyable. For magical girl lovers, this falls flat. The transformation are bad Sailor Moon ripoffs and Ichigo has one move with one upgrade while the others only have one (which were not very good in the first place). Mew Mew's demographic is also confusing because I'm not sure who exactly is supposed to like this. Content too mature for youngins and too immature for teens. Maybe preteens is a good age, I'm not too sure.

Animation: I guess for it's time that animation was decent. I was not a fan of the costumes and the eyes of the characters. All of the girls had such sluttly looking uniforms. The male characters were superior to the girls but not by too much. Ryou and Kish were lookers but Ryou was ruined with his wardrobe. The chimera animals were ridiculous and scenes were sometimes incoherent. Not very visually appealing to say at the very least.

Sound: The female voices got pretty annoying and there seemed to be the same audio tracks being played for every emotion. It wasn't that bad but not that good either.

Characters: Little development that does happen falls flat. Hella annoying and far from likable. Not very memorable either. The aliens and Deep Blue-sama had potential that was never filled.

Overall: I would not recommend this to someone nor every watch it again. I truly question why I bothered in the first place.

Ulicia's avatar By on Jan 12, 2011

My ratings are all based on my opinions of the show when I was younger, which is why it's a perfect score.  All in all, Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power in the english version) made my childhood.  Although it may not be my favorite anime anymore, it was extremely creative to me when I was little and to be honest I still like it, even now.  The artwork is splendid as well.  The characters may not be very complex, but the storyline itself, though kind of cliched, has many twists and turns that will keep you watching the show until the end.

wolfangel87's avatar By on Dec 4, 2010

Story: With the distinct feeling of a Sailor Moon anime, Tokyo Mew Mew brings on a variety of characters.  With the five girls banding together to fight the forces of evil and saving the world they are transformed into animals with the powers of the elements.  A different villain at every turn and new elemental powers.

Animation: The animation style was a little more on the cartoony side although the series was drawn very well.

Sound: The sounds was of good quality with a catchy theme song.

Characters: The characters are not as developed as the characters is Sailor Moon, although there are glimpses of life outside of the Mew Mew group the stories are not really divulged at great length.  Although there has been a wonderful emphasis placed on the distinct differences between them.

Overall: Another feel-good comedy with family-friendly fights and enough excitement to keep the plot moving right along.

9.5/10 animation
9.1/10 overall
Betsybop123's avatar By on Jan 22, 2011

Tokyo Mew Mew isn't perfect. There are some things that are amazing, but there is also a lot that could have been done much better. I love nekomimi, and the main chacter being part cat was what originally drew me in. Overall it is a decent series.

I love how in the final episodes a lot of small things come together and make sense, yet the actual ending is pure cliche. It truely dissapointed me. Not that i don't like happy ending's but how everything magicly gets resolved in the final epidode is just a terrible story line which seems to have no real thought put into the ending. A bit of Tradegy never hurt anyone.

Animation:
This is the only thing that truely annoyed me every time I watched this. Espicially in the fighting sceenes the background would always stay  the same when Ichigo used her move (Cloudy sky) even if it was nightime or she was in building. The other's I could understand because the backgrounds went with their Red Data Animals, But i don't get hers. If I ever watched many episodes in a row I got to the point where I would skip the long metomorphisis Sceenes, simply becaus they happened to often (EVERY TIME) and when all 5 transformed at once it took almost two minutes of the same thing i saw over and over again.

Sound:
I honestly didn't listen to rate the sound. Besides talking i don't think I ever picked up on background noise unless it was part of the story.

In the begining the charictors are all cliched, and as the story progresses only a few of them actally develop and change. Unless there was an episode focus solely on one character you never got much background information on their lifes, For example you never see Lettuce's Family or house, or ever hear of them i don't think. However for the characters that did chaneg their stories were very good. For some reason I grew attached to Kish and he became my favorite character even with his insane evil outbursts.

FreddyCrab's avatar By on Oct 28, 2011

Story: Yes, Tokyo Mew Mew, and I know what you're thinking- ''Nothing special, its just another Sailor Moon remake!'' Actually no, when I first watched this anime I was absolutely ADDICTED. The story intrigued me, the characters were amazing individuals, and I hardly noticed any similarities to Sailor Moon, it seemed so much better and I still think that years later. Tokyo Mew Mew may seem simple, but its actually much more than animal-girls fighting aliens, bring on love-triangles-what are the best anime love triangles I've ever seen, crazy plot-twists and suprises what I never saw coming. Tokyo Mew Mew can be slow at times (I'm suprised they managed to make it last 52 episodes without more fillers) but the story is great and appeals to girls of almost any age, even older teenagers- it has such a wide audience.

Animation: This really irritated me- on important episodes, such as the last one, and various ones cropeed up half-way through the show, where pivotal moments in the storyline took place, the animation was absolutely STUNNING. I've never seen better, it was amazingly beautiful. But what ticked me off was that in fillers and unimportant episodes it was like all the animators had gone off on holiday and the studio had just brought some random people off of the street to animate till the animators returned, it was that dissapointing. If the animation had remained consistent I'd love this show even more, and if it had remained at its top rate, it would have gotten a 10/10, no questions asked.

Sound: A lot of irritating, cutesy tracks were used in this show, which for me would have given it a lower mark, but then I thought about it- this anime is for young girls, and I know at a younger age I would've liked that music- so an 8 it is. If you watch this when you're any age older than 10 or 11, is then when you may want to watch this with the volume on mute and just read the subtitles- if you're of a short temper then you'd be wise doing that to save yourself the pain of the songs- especially Ichigo's little song what she sings before attacking the monsters- that gets very tiresome.

Characters: The characters were what grabbed me in this show. The boys mainly, when I was younger and first watched this show, I admittedly saw about 90% of the male cast as eye-candy. Now, being older and moved on from crushes on anime characters, the characters still intrigue me a great deal- as the male characters are still very interesting and the amount of love-traingles that are thrown about keep you watching to wonder who ends up with whom. The girls are great characters too! Theres Ichigo, the half-cat girl whos our main heroine, Mint, the snob who learns to be more respecting of others as the series progreses, Lettuce, the shy girl who very likeable, Pudding- the hyper cute girl and Zakuro the cool model who at first refuses to join the other Mew Mews, yet another part of the story that I found very interesting in its development. Then theres the bad-guys, who I think are stars of the show, the anime would be quite dull without them, especially Kisshu.

Overall: Unless you're a guy, I see no excuse as to why you shouldn't watch this show, its interesting, its gripping and cute. Its definitely no Sailor Moon copy, thats for sure. I'd pick me Tokyo Mew Mew over Sailor Moon any day.