Tokyo Mew Mew

Alt titles: Mew Mew Power

FabulousAnimeOtaku's avatar By on Jul 3, 2015

I really love this anime because I watched Mew Mew Power when I was 5 or so , and it was my first anime ever. It really changed my childhood and influenced me so much. If I hadn't watched this, I wouldn't have thought about watching anime 7 years later. Also, Tokyo Mew Mew was my first sub. But however much I love this anime, I probably would have hated it if it wasn't something I had watched when I was little.

Story - The story was OK but it was just your typical magical girl shoujo anime. The transformations were annoying and the girls only had one move that they used constantly. There were too many fillers. The soundrack was cute and suited the show.

Animation - The art and animation was quite good but the costumes and RYOU'S OUTFITS were frankly quite awful. The girls were cute and Ryou was quite a looker.

Sound - The voice actors were OK and in the dub Kisshu/Dren had a hilarious voice but did get very annoying. Aoyama/Mark in the dub sounded like a 40 year old man.

Characters - I liked most of the characters, but I hated Aoyama/Mark. He was overly perfect - smart, popular, nice, does kendo and when we all thought the only thing wrong with him was that he could not fight monsters, he turns out to be this knight. Ichigo/Zoey was annoying at times.

Iceyflower's avatar By on Jun 8, 2015

Tokyo MewMew isn't a popular anime, I know.  But I love it, its amazing.

WARNING-CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS

Story-Its all around the scene of 'true love'.  I cower.  I dont like extremly serious with love animes like this, but there were some parts that were just funny-well, with Ryou and Ichigo and Kishhu and Ichigo, yeah that was cute.  Maybe its just that I dont find Ayoama enjoyable whatsoever?  Nevermind then, maybe its just Zoey and Mark that really ticks me off.

Animation-Totally cute and loveable!  Adorable eyes, cute hair and accesories.

Sound-The songs are catchy and adorable in both English and Japanese.  They're voices fit their character enough.

Characters-Amazing.  Mint can be a little-not even gonna say it-but the others are amazing.  Although I feel Lettuce is left out far too much.  The show pays little to no attention to her, and she dosent really get many episodes to herself.  Its probably why i dont pay much attention to her and rather the others...I guess none of the characters get many episodes focusing on them unless thats Zoey or the whole team together.

Screw it 10/10

Kisshu's avatar By on Apr 20, 2015

Jak dla Mnie, anime żartem jednym Z najleprzych; . Super Dźwięk i grafika Uważam, że "Tokyo Mew Mew" zrobić BARDZO inspirujące anime. Polecam!

Clbull's avatar By on Jul 25, 2014

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Tokyo Mew Mew is a magical girl anime set in Tokyo that initially seems interesting until you notice a pattern in the plot. Five girls spliced with rare animal DNA are sent on a mission to defeat alien invaders threatening to take over the Earth. That is where the good in this series ends.

If there's one thing that annoys me about TMM, it's the lack of real combat, the consistent reusing of stock footage of the five girls transforming or using their attacks and how weak the characters actually are in comparison to their antagonists. In fact, Episode 3 reuses stock footage of Lettuce using her Ribbon Lettuce Rush attack in such ridiculous quantities that it almost becomes a parody of itself.

Then there's the fact the girls constantly get stuck in situations that would usually kill them, only to be saved by mysterious deux ex machina; in the form of many things such as Misha (their pet robot), the Blue Knight (explained in the next paragraph) or moments of sheer, dumb luck. In fact, I cannot really name an episode later in the series where the girls haven't been rescued by this.

Then there's Aoyama and his connection to being the Blue Knight (one of Ichigo's saviours) and Deep Blue (the primary antagonist.) It makes little to no sense that this would be the case, especially if Aoyama were not conscious of this fact before the revelation later in the series.

While the romance between Ichigo and Aoyama is a strong complaining point to fans of the series wishing to ship Ichigo with Kishu (which makes little sense, as he's incredibly pushy throughout much of the series and only shows real empathy for Ichigo near the end), it's actually the strongest part of the series even if it's incredibly clichéd. Yes, Aoyama is literally a nice, sweet and polite guy who has very little surrounding him other than being good at kendo, being attractive to other girls in school, but the Blue Knight plot twist wasn't bad at all despite being poorly explained.

Overall, I would not really recommend this series. It's bad, even for the magical girl genre. And don't get me started on the 4kids dub (Mew Mew Power) either... no dub has ever made me cringe so hard in my life before.

TheChibiTanuki's avatar By on Feb 4, 2014

(I watched 4kids dub Mew Mew power so i am talking about that.)

Story: 7/10

The story follows Zoey Hanson, A cute red haired klutz of a girl who one day on a date a strange light hits her, causing her DNA to be mixed with Iriomote Wild cat! Causing her to act like a cat at random times and if she is excited cat ears and tail to pop out. It is later revealed to her that she is now a super hero and leader of team Mew Mew, whose job it is to protect the earth and she must find the other girls to help her!

Animation: 5/10

As with most magical girl animes it uses a lot of repeat transformation and attacks. Also making a lot of the attacks very shiny, but for the target audience that's exactly what they needed to do.

Sound: 9/10

The songs in this show are amazing! The theme song is beautiful! The transformation songs are Brilliant! and i often find myself randomly singing them and i do listen to them on a regular basis. Plus it taught me the word collaborate!!

Characters: 9/10

The Characters are just so cute!! I find myself really understanding why they are each animal (Kikki Benjamin FTW!!) I also LOVE how they LOOK DIFFERENT between what they look like normal and when they are in Mew Mew mode!

Overall: 7.5/10

For the people it was trying to reach, it did very well and honestly still has a place in my heart even today. If you're wanting to watch a cute Magical animal girl anime this is for you!!

Tuniki little note!:

It's not how we dress
Or what we possess
From the very start
It was there in our heart
When we get together
We know what to do
'Cause me plus you equals Mew Mew
We've got the Animal Instinct!
Nothing can stand in our way!
We've got the Animal Instinct!
we can change the world if we start today!
We can change the world (change the world) if we start today!

We've got the animal Instinct!