Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

cassiesheepgirl's avatar By cassiesheepgirl on Apr 14, 2010

I don’t normally go for full on drama anime. I especially don’t actively seek out survival or disaster series. However, hearing many good things about Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 piqued my interest, so I left the shounen on the shelf and the comedy in the cupboard and decided to give it a go. Little did I know that I would marathon the entire series in one evening and be so emotionally moved that my eyes physically hurt from the tears.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 follows the plight of two young children, Mirai and Yuuki, as they cope with the fallout of a massive earthquake that has devastated most of the city. Though the pair is initially alone, a kind woman named Mari soon takes it upon herself to help the siblings return home and find their parents while she tries to get back to her young daughter and elderly mother. The series starts out calmly enough by dedicating the first episode to introducing the two central protagonists, then with less than a minute to go before the ending credits roll the faeces hits the fan – and so begins the most heart-wrenching anime to grace my screen for a very long time.

A lot of the show is fairly slow-paced, which ultimately creates far more of an emotional impact than if the whole thing had been eleven hi-octane episodes of running from collapsing buildings or falling down newly formed crevices in the middle of the road. By having the protagonists make sluggish progress towards their goal, the gravity of their situation sinks in all the more and small moments become incredibly poignant. Mirai spotting one of her classmates mourning her dead mother is so powerful because you can see the realisation of the earthquake’s severity creep across her face. Certainly one of the most haunting moments of the series that will undoubtedly stay with me, is a single shot of two sets of children’s feet poking out from underneath the rubble of a shopping mall.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 examines both extremes of human nature, from selfishness and utter panic, to unfathomable kindness and generosity. Very rarely can one series invoke such despair at the state of mankind only for it to be quickly restored with the smallest of actions. Without a doubt the show’s central theme is that of individual strength – something that each of the protagonists demonstrates in their own ways. Mari in particular covers up her intense worry for the safety of her own family with a highly optimistic attitude to not only help herself cope with the circumstances, but also to prevent the children from giving into despair. It often leads one to question their own ability in a crisis and wonder: Would I be able to cope if I were in their shoes? Could I keep it together? Would I simply fall apart?

Generally I hate CG in anime; nine times out of ten it looks horrifically out of place standing out as much as a cosplaying narutard in a coffee shop. Impressively Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 slots into that rare little ten percent where the computer graphics genuinely work and, above all else, look good. The effective use of this medium means that the collapsing buildings make more of an impact and that crowd scenes aren’t simply still shots or filled with clunky movement simply because “it’s in the background and therefore doesn’t matter”.

Aside from the CG, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 boasts impressive scenery from decimated buildings and fire-engulfed bridges to the quiet sanctuary of a lush park or a calm pool of water. A realistic colour palette and toned-down character designs place a shining spotlight on the dramatic narrative instead of distracting from it, while also adding to the wow factor of the particularly well-animated earthquake and aftershock sequences.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 knows exactly how to use its sound design to full effect. A loud, orchestral track with plenty of brass heightens the drama of the already awe-inspiring earthquake scene, only to follow it up with a few seconds of complete silence. This lack of noise also re-appears at other moments for maximum impact, such as when young Yuuki becomes separated from Mirai and Mari in a crowd. As the camera focuses in on the terrified child calling for his sister, the thunderous hoards of individuals jostling past and all background din fades away entirely until all you can hear is the frightened call of ‘Onee-chan’. Such absence of sound gives one a strong impression of Yuuki’s fear and loneliness and allows the viewer to put themselves in the petrified boy’s shoes for a moment.

Excellent voice acting tops off Tokyo Magnitude 8.0’s aural experience. The series’ seiyuu capture their characters perfectly, from Yuuki’s adorable innocence and Mari’s maternal optimism to Mirai’s irritable teenage cynicism.

Good characterisation is hard to come by in anime, but Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 has it in abundance. Every single cast member acts realistically, which immediately sucks the viewer into the story by making the protagonists much easier to relate to. With their strengths come moments of weakness: Yuuki maintains his optimism and keeps complaints to himself, yet ultimately he openly voices his concerns to Mirai; Mari acts as the mother figure and remains as cheerful as possible, but even she cannot help giving into her own fears and anguish. Even secondary characters with little screen time earn a certain amount of emotional investment and it’s difficult not to empathise with their plights as well as that of the protagonists.

The most impressive aspect of this anime’s cast is the development of Mirai. As she eerily states at the beginning of the first episode that “Everything should just be destroyed… or at least that’s what I used to think every day” it’s clear that she will go on an emotional journey during the series. Starting out as a typical angry teenager with terrible grades, Mirai fails to make herself particularly likeable, especially when she seems to have little time for her adorable younger brother and frequently snaps at him for little reason. However, as the narrative progresses so too does our young heroine as she begins to realise the importance of family and even starts to understand why her mother acts the way she does. While this could sound quite stereotypical, the way in which the series handles her evolution, by subtly softening her character with each passing event, makes the transition almost unnoticeable; people don’t just change in an instant, and neither does Mirai.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 characters
9.7/10 overall
chii's avatar By chii on Oct 2, 2009

Well on a great recommendation from Sothis and pushing of kira to just get it now instead of waiting for a batch. I watched Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 one night one ep after another. Now it's never rare for me to watch a show so quickly. But it is rare for me to actually pick up an awesome show.

The first 5-6 eps were kinda hard to sit through as there was a lot of whining children involved. and well considering the main characters were children that was no suprise. I of course understand the crying and caring on this anime being about earthquake aftermath and everyone running around trying to get back to their families in hopes that they are still alive.

The inflatable paper toilet was highly amusing to me lol. The random kid with the robots was rather dull to me and kinda unneeded.

I saw the ending coming and wasn't suprised when it happened. but it was SO well done i really enjoyed watching it pan out the way it did. it was very cleaver and almost uncatchable.

I totally recommend this to anyone who loves survival shows with very powerful emotion being put through the screen making you want to cry or really feel for the characters.

KurosuGemu's avatar By KurosuGemu on Dec 2, 2009

Boy, did Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (TM8) come out of nowhere and completely surprise me.

Story: 10/10

The story is fascinating and fresh. There is a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode that states a large amount of research concerning earthquakes and such were done as the show is striving for realism. The show is fiction, but this sense of realism adds to the emotional story. Further, the flow of the story, for the most part, is excellent and will make viewers want to watch the episodes consecutively.

Animation: 8/10

The character drawings range from “average” at worst to “very good” at best. In some scenes, the characters look lazily drawn, but it gets the point across and is not annoying to look at. The backdrop has much more detail and is often times excellent in quality. The CG scenes are well done too. The difference in quality between the character and setting animations is to increase the overall realism and devastation caused by the earthquake.

Characters: 10/10

The characters are exceptional. Everyone is believable and very likeable. The protagonists grow with the unfolding events and are a main reason why the story is so moving. Further, the supporting cast is also well done. One can connect with any of the side characters and sympathize with their situation. In addition, the voice actors did an excellent job of conveying the tone and emotion to put an genuine spin on their characters (especially Mari and Yuuki’s seiyuus).

Music: 8/10

Kimi No Uta’s (opening) music and lyrics are fitting for the chaotic events and describe the protagonists’ situation well. The ending song, Melody, is very catchy and uplifting. Its “melody” is light and happy which clashes (in a good way) with some of the more serious scenes. The background score, while not exactly memorable by itself, is purposeful and moving.

Enjoyment: 7/10

Why is my gut feeling about this show just slightly above average when all the other qualities are higher? It is because I literally felt like I was punched in my emotional and proverbial gut towards the end of the show. Don’t get me wrong, the ending is far from horrible. It is hard to explain what I’m talking about without spoiling it so let me just simply say that it did its job of evoking my emotions, however I feel that it did too good of a job. We all know too much of a good thing can be bad.  The ending is extremely bittersweet, making me have a love-hate relationship for this series. I am sure other viewers will disagree with my gut feeling. I can see where they are coming from and completely respect that (see my perfect 10/10 score for the story).

Average Series Rating: 8/10 – Very Good

Bottom line: TM8 is a gripping, refreshing, depressing, but extremely entertaining drama. The viewer may want to watch something happier and lighter at the end because it is a real tear jerker. Not exactly my cup of tea (too sad), however I know a special series when I see it.

Galadriel's avatar By Galadriel on Dec 3, 2009

Plot: "It struck without warning one fateful day in Tokyo – a massive 8.0 earthquake rocked the city and caused massive devastation and death in its wake. Having taken her little brother to an exhibit that day, young Mirai and he find themselves alone and with no one to turn to – until a kind delivery woman named Mari promises to help them get back to their family. Now, the three travel the ruined cityscape and brave immense danger as they try their best to make their way home." (site synopsis)

Story: Before begining with the review i have to say that among all the animes that aired in 2009 or are currently aired this one is in my top 5 and probably one of the best animes which aired in 2009.Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is named by the earthquake that struck Tokyo with a magnitude of 8.0 on Richter scale (a pretty huge one, very powerful one but concidering that Japan is one of the hottest regions on earth mainly because of the strong and often activity of earthquakes this is not something new in there).What i believe is that the story of this anime is inspired from real situations (even though it has some few fantasy aspects).The story of this anime is centered on two kids, brother and sister, named Mirai and her little brother Yuuki.Both of them were caught by the huge earthquake when they were visiting a robot conference or exibition (or something like that).They both survived but they had to take care of themselves mainly because they went alone and their parents couldnt join them.Even so a kind women named Mari promises to help them get back to their family, they promised that as long as they are toghether they must stay toghether until they reach their homes.Even though Mari was eager to help them she had her own problems and worries as well.Because of the strong earthquake they could not contact their families, they relied on the news announcements.Mari was worried that her daughther and her mother might be injured or even worse, and the same like Mirai and Yuuki she was in a hurry of reaching home as fast as possible to remove the burden.As the story goes on the three main protagonists pass through many earthquake replicas, traveling toghether through the ruined city and facing other dangerous situation.What i have to say that around the ending this anime is very sad.But the atmosphere created at the second part of the last episode does not really leave you in a sad mood, even more it makes you think that this anime ended in happy was, given the circumstances.A very nice and well developed story which gets my sincere respect.

Animation: The animation style was also well made.The background, the buildings before the devastating earthquake well very well designed and as well the character designs, which are kinda classic types but they look as if they were real

Sound: In terms of sound this anime aint bad at all.The opening and ending songs are very nice, listenable even, the background sounds were very well chosen and the sound fits in whatever environment is shown.

Characters: Related to characters of course there is not a nice character development in this anime.Its centered on the three main protagonists mostly (Mirai, Yuuki, Mari) while the side characters appear in few episodes and for short lenght of time.Even so the moods and the feelings of the three main protagonists were very well exposed, i realy liked Mari's personaly, always helping others with what she can when its needed.

Overall: A great hit.I would not rather call the productors of this anime geniuses but without a doubt this anime is one of the best i seen in 2009, a very deep emotional anime, and a kinda unique one since this is the first anime that i seen with this kind of tags, its kinda new for me, maybe thats why i liked it so much.I recommend this anime to everyone, especialy to those who appreciate good drama animes.

~As always just my thoughts~

Here are some pictures:

And a few videos:

~Enjoy and Have Fun~

8.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
9.3/10 overall
Sheex's avatar By Sheex on Aug 27, 2010

As someone educated in structural engineering, I happen to know a thing or two about what earthquakes will do to buildings. Thus, when the writers made a point to preface Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 with a statement lauding its realistic portrayal of an earthquake, I must admit I was looking forward to shredding all the series’ little mistakes. Unfortunately for me, I soon discovered there was not a lot of shredding to be had; instead, I had to settle for an an engaging, dramatic storyline and a splendid set of main characters.

Generally speaking, I tend to be a fairly dry face when it comes to anime that center around tragedy – Grave of the Fireflies only managed a tear, and Oseam choked me up at best. There is something about watching two young children struggle to find their way back home amidst utter carnage and devastation, however, that Tokyo Magnitude explores on an exemplary level. Even the events prior to the earthquake managed to pull gently on the emotional strings, and I am not exaggerating when I say I spent close to half the series with watery eyes. While the earthquake’s torrent of death drives much of the tragedy, the major emotional impact of the series surfaces not from particular events, but from the journey itself. Key points within the story, such as Mirai’s dichotomy between childhood and adulthood, are touched upon with a remarkable level of detail, and the story’s merits stem well beyond mere shock value.

Be that as it may, Tokyo Magnitude does struggle at times with being overly dramatic. For the first half of the show, the aftershocks that accompany the primary quake follow a rather formulaic pattern: the trio wanders near a structure that obviously is in poor repair, an aftershock hits right as this happens, and the structure ultimately collapses as they make a narrow escape. While the aftermath of each of these events is important to the story, at times they border on feeling contrived.  Earthquakes follow a wide array of different patterns and behaviors, and the lack of variety or creativity with this notion was disappointing given its potential for improvement.

When all is said and done, however, these disturbances are little more than ripples on the surface of a pond. Both the story and its pacing display a phenomenal level of composition, and the series consistently strikes emotional chords without dipping into monotony or tedium. While poor or rushed endings are an anime trademark, Tokyo Magnitude  flaunts one of the most mature and memorable endings I have seen in years if for nothing more than its keen sense of writing and direction. By the closing scene, Tokyo Magnitude  feels a clean and complete work, and certainly leaves its mark as one of the most professional anime produced to date – if there exists any indication that anime rises beyond simple children’s work, this is it.

To my elation, the promises of earthquake accuracy rang true throughout the first half of the show. Everything from structural member collapse to bridge sway was shown in largely realistic fashion and, though certain exceptions were made for dramatic effect, the show feels visually real. While to 99.9% of Tokyo Magnitude’s viewer base this may seem trivial nitpicking, it proved to me that the animators cared about their work and did wonders for bolstering the credibility of this very prominent claim.

Unfortunately, this attention to detail does not compensate for a low budget production, and Tokyo Magnitude leaves quite a bit to be desired in areas outside scenic earthquake destruction. From character designs to the notable use of static shots with minimal movement, at times I felt as if I were watching a 2004 or 2005 production.  While certainly not fatal to the series’ presentation, this one area of poor repair did appear out of place.

When you watch anime as long as I have, there are certain names that stick out when hearing a soundtrack for the first time. Be it the epic orchestral works of Kawai Kenji or the haunting dissonance of Yoko Kanno, the musical composer of a series holds great sway as to how the story will feel. In the case of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, fans of the Haibane Renmei’s breathtaking composition will feel right at home as Ootani Kou returns with another melancholic masterpiece. While the animation may be lacking in certain respects, the music compensates for any misgivings threefold, as each track is accompanied by a perfect mixture of emotions. Be it the frenetic tension of a building collapse or the quiet sorrow of a mourning family, the music practically defines the drama and is nothing shy of brilliant.

Of all the characters in Tokyo Magnitude, Mirai easily steals center stage. In many ways she’s a typical teenager, frustrated with life due to a poor relationship with her parents, struggling grades, and a feeling of distance from her peers. Stuck in this mire between childhood and adulthood, she must pick up the responsibility for her younger brother, Yuuki, whose care her parents place on her due to being too busy with work to do so themselves. While her actions often seem selfish, over the first episode she’s quickly fleshed out to be more than just a bratty teenager: she’s a young girl who wants nothing more than a loving family, but is utterly helpless to realize this dream. As such, her jaded view of the world comes across as quite believable, and her selfishness and bitterness are somewhat justified in the context of her circumstances.

This unevenness in her character is ultimately what makes Tokyo Magnitude such a remarkably powerful series. The earthquake turns her world entirely upside-down, and reveals a young girl who, while strong, just cannot bear the responsibility thrust onto her. Yuuki compliments her amazingly well, highlighting her numerous child-like weaknesses that surface in the wake of tragedy and adversity. She consistently struggles with this throughout the duration of the show, insistent that she is not in fact a child but hesitant to admit herself an adult. Likewise, the children’s traveling companion, Mari, brings to light Mirai’s immaturity and inexperience in dealing with catastrophic situations, and forms a sort of dual-foil with Yuuki that results in some of the most heartwarming and touching character development I’ve ever seen. Sympathizing with Mirai comes almost as easy as breathing, and watching her story unfold is a truly unique experience.

7.5/10 story