Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

Alt titles: Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Aug 7, 2011

Story: I've mentioned this before but anime movies usually disappoint me. They like a really long filler episode. However, that did not apply to Vanishment of Haruhi Suzimaya. Imagine a really good arc of Haruhi Suzimaya. Ok, now translate that into a movie and that is what you get. You get the intricate story line, strange comedy, and unexpected twists. It had everything I loved from Haruhi Suzimaya. However, you will need to see both seasons in order to understand the movie (I had not seen season 2 and ended up being confused for a good portion). Haruhi Suzimaya lovers rejoice because this lives up to the name.

Animation: I already liked the animation for Haruhi Suzimaya so they basically upped already great animation. The character's expressions are what stands out the most and they are phenomenal. Seriously, they are stunning.

Sound: I loved the soundtrack. I am a piano lover and pieces were lovely. I would love to get the soundtrack and the sheet music to play the pieces. I originally watched Haruhi Suzimaya in English. Big mistake. I should have just watched the original because I do love the seiyuus.

Characters: Two of the major character developments you see are Kyon and Nagato. I don't want to give anything away but they are both done excellently. Since it is a movie, you obviously can't get a large amount of character development from a wide number of characters. It's good that they stuck to two and did them both well.

Overall: If you love Haruhi Suzimaya, you'll be blown away. I would definitely watch this over again.

9.5/10 characters
Senthen's avatar By Senthen on Dec 28, 2010

In my opinion, a movie totally deserving of it's #1 ranking in the charts at the moment.

I disagree with the complaints of an hour long introduction. I see it as a perfect way to set the scene and really got me into the movie.

I wouldn't go so far as it say it was the 'perfect movie', but I personally think it came pretty close.

The storyline was just amazing. With many edge-of-your-seat moments, and I loved how it kept me thinking and wondering. However, the ending left me both abit confused and somewhat unsatisfied.

I can't complain about the almost three hour movie length, all the more for me to watch :)

Can't wait to see more of the SOS Brigade on screen.

9.9/10 story
9.5/10 sound
Mystotakun's avatar By Mystotakun on Nov 2, 2013

The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya (or The Disapperance of Haruhi Suzumiya, depending on the localisation) is the full length feature film of the Haruhi Suzumiya series, taken from the light novels. If you've never heard of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, you've probably been living under a rock.

Now, I'm not ashamed to admit that I came into this film expecting something completely different to what I ended up with. In thought this was going to be a hilarious film, showing the antics that the members of the SOS Brigade got up to and when I heard that it was a 2 and a half hour long film, I was livid! What I got...was a beautiful masterpiece which exceeded all my expectations, exactly like how the TV series exceeded the riduclously high expectations I had of it.

Disapperance's story start off like a typical episode of the series; Haruhi wants to celebrate Christmas with her fellow members of the SOS Brigade, by having a nabe party. As this is going on, there is some funny banter between the Brigade members and it sets itself up to be exactly what the TV series was about, only longer...that's when it slaps you in the face.

Kyon goes to school on the 18th December and it turns out...everything has changed. Everything we've seen of the TV series...that doesn't exsist anymore. Nothing. Kyon's high school life, it's like it was completely erased. It turns out that both Haruhi SUZUMIYA and Itsuki KOIZUMI are missing, Mikuru ASAHINA doesn't recongise Kyon, Ryoko ASAKURA is alive again and Yuki NAGATO is now human...complete with her own full set of emotions!

Now all of this is practically explained in the first half an hour, so the next two hours is all about Kyon, going back and forth between if he wants to live in this world, or the world with aliens, time travellers, espers and Haruhi. It's an amazing journey and it's an absolute joy to watch.

Admittedly, I felt like the film dragged on at parts, it's by no means an easy feat to watch it all in one sitting...it's the equivalent of watching five episodes back to back, with no breaks in between. It's challenging to say the least, but after everything was done and dusted, I was left satisfied, perfectly content with the masterpiece I had just watched.

One complaint I did have, was how the characters of Itsuki and Mikuru were nothing more than minor characters in the film...especially Itsuki, which is a shame, giving how he's my second favourite character in the series. Due to things happening in the story, Kyon and Yuki are given the most screen time and as such are given the most character development. The title character, is more like a side character in her own film and when she appears for the first time in over an hour or so, it's a very pleasant surprise...which is ridiclous to say, giving how her name is Haruhi Suzumiya!

But I will say, that doesn't put me off from watching it again and again and again. It is an absolute masterpiece of a film, I can't stress that enough. The emotions, the character development, the subtle humour, it's all done so perfectly and it really fits the mood of each and every scene. It's not my favourite anime film, in terms of rewatchability and that's due down to there hefty 164 minutes of running time, but in terms of sheer brilliance and as a form of art, I can't see any other film, anime or otherwise, beating it.

Donze's avatar By Donze on Jun 5, 2011

The first season was AWESOME, the second was litterally TRAUMATIC for your patience, the movie is nothing but EPIC.

I can say for sure that everyone should see this japanese animation movie and even if I suggest to watch it only after the vision of the previous two seasons I think that with a pair of important information before watching, anyone can appreciate this opera (wait, I'm saying 'appreciate' the movie, not 'understand why it is so epic').

Story: if you have already seen the tv anime you'll know for sure how many strange things may happen in everything titled "... of Haruhi Suzumiya", and this title is for sure no exception: the true meaning behind all the happenings becomes obvious only the very last second of what you'll see, but this won't make the movie boring or even worse non-sense as usually happen, in fact you'll find it very very good. [10/10]

Animation: I usually don't think the animations are what makes an anime a good title, but I appreciate when happenings, characters' feelings and anything should be expressed by the movie reaches you not only thanks to the ability of the directors but even thanks to the complex of animations. [10/10]

Sound: very very good, it matches perfectly whit the story. [10/10]

Characters: the part I like the most of this serie: the protagonist is as usual Kyon, a very intelligent boy that will lend us his eyes and thoughts to have the direct contact with the story. The other characters are the same of the tv anime: the 'SOS Brigade' whose leader is Haruhi, the most important character the serie takes his name from, along with Itsuki, Asahina and Nagato. Now, I would like to say something about Yuki Nagato: it's a character I liked since the very beginnig of the story, and I think the best of her is shown only in this movie (in short: if you liked her after this movie your love for her will be even bigger, if you didn't like her you'll have to change your opinion). [10/10]

Overall: this opera is a must for all anime lovers. [10/10]

NoCheerios's avatar By NoCheerios on Dec 22, 2010

No exaggeration here. Literally, there were no flaws with this movie.

I'm not one of those people who simply thinks, "I reellly liekd teh storiie, so evrytin gats a 10/10 woohoo." Literally, each individual factor of this movie deserved a 10.

With no detectable flaws whatsoever, I can safely say this is the first time I've ever given any form a media a perfect 10/10. Really, go watch this. NOW.