Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya

Alt titles: Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

MrChearlie's avatar By MrChearlie on Sep 7, 2013

So, for those who didn't watch the show (just in case). Do I need to watch it first? you are suppose to, indeed, for getting all the reference that the movie is pointing out that are quite a lot and important ones, since this is more like a sequel of some arcs, and even a prequel for some other arcs of the Melancholy of Haruhi. But is not a must, they quite explain everything fine in order for you to understand what is going on, is not really a script for brilliant people. Just understand what the premise of Haruhi is all about and you will have enough.

Also, I do not plan to review the show, because I really don't think there is something special for me to watch it for the second time, as results I don't remember enough to be able to make a decent review. But the movie is the only thing that is somehow worth it watching it twice or more, maybe in a far future but I wouldn't mind giving it another try.

As for why The Melancholy Of Haruhi doesn't worth another try. Well, as for an actual good romance between a total bitch and a fun guy, I will watch Spice&Wolf, as for time travel I would choose Higurashi or Steins;Gate, talking about time, but more specific, as it goes for an endless eight were you wouldn't think you waste your time, Tatami Galaxy is the one, as for the human god matters Serial Experiments Lain deals with it a lot more better, but in case some doesn't like the slow pacing of it I would recommend Paranoia Agent. As for Moe, I could easily check another work of Kyoto Animation and I would pick Hyouka, which is also a school slice of life, but with more character depth. So This show has a cool premise and stuff but it falls in the mediocrity because it only focus in selling moeness.

So I would recommend the movie for the presentation, as for the whole franchise of Haruhi, it goes to those who love moe and school rumpus. And for those who are interested in just watching it for the impact it had and still has (with less force), that's why I watched it.

Story (Average)

Well, the movie is LOOOOOOOOOONG, about 2 hours and a half, with a pacing that goes the speed of snail most of the film, and other times is just too rushed. And everything is narrated by the protagonist Kyon, from "how do the toilet paper goes" to "what is the meaning of life?" sometimes necessary, but most of the time, just damn obvious, there is even a scene where all the train of though is there for you to understand what is going on, and noooo, you need an auto-character analysis like a cheap version of evangelion to understand what was already there, just for the sake of: Look how deep this movie is.

Aside from that, the plot... is interesting I won't deny, it is truth that is full of popular cliché and inside references, Although it would surprise me if someone didn't knew this when decided to check it out. It is pretty much "Back to the future" with moe, the problem is, that even if the great presentation of the animation, music and plot formulas about time traveling and stuff, were there to support the film, they didn't do much since the movie should have called Kyon Nothingness, half of it is Kyon doing nothing, narrating, suffering, being a dick (and he says he has control and that he is no like Haruhi, maybe in the show but here he really is an asshole that doesn't think very much even when he seems to be thinking everything.), and when he does things is because of coincidences and because everything happens just in the right moment, but he doesn't really do much, and he is the main protagonist.

So just the presentation is worth it, since even at how bad some aspects were managed, they know how to play with your emotions and get you in the mood of the film, at the end, this is Kyoto Animation, that's what they do.

Characters (Bad)

Even when I said Kyon was a dick... he is the best character... I didn't remember how lameish everyone else was, I remember they were one-dimensional, but not this much, and one of the causes, is that everything is so Kyon-Centered that they don't care about what is going with anyone else, the others are just like cartons-figures with a moe personality, even Haruhi whose name is one the title. Somehow the dullest character of the TV, Nagato, here was the one they give more development aside from Kyon, pretty pretentious and it was far from being a big thing, so no credits.

Sound (Great)

Nothing odd with the sound, the voice acting was cheesy but appropriate for the characters, even after hearing 2 hours of narration, it was good voice acting, and the Soundtrack was superb! this is the reason I watch it twice and I could watch it again. such a shame that they barely use it, I was like, where is the music?, where is it!!?, oh, here it comes, oooh yeaaaah, and it's gone...

Animation (Great)

The animation is awesome, 3D effects were sometimes weird, but it was Awesome!

Enjoyment (Good)

As for the enjoyment, it was good; great music, great animation, cool concepts and good presentation, no doubts why this and the K-On movie had an bunch of overrated hype. I just wonder why the aliens agency didn't take out the powers of Haruhi, and erase everyones memory since the beginning so they wouldn't have to worry so much about time continuity, cheesus!

Overall (Good)

8.5/10 sound
6.1/10 overall
zombieiscool's avatar By zombieiscool on Apr 1, 2011

Overrated, it was good, but not THAT good.

Story: Uninspiring, but wraps up the series fairly well. (Not sure if they will actually end the series due to it's success)

This movie is pandered towards existing fans, so if you haven't watched the Haruhi series, I wouldn't recommended this movie until you do so. The movie presumes that you already feel for the characters, understand the interactions and relationship between the characters.

Don't expect to:

Cry your eyes out

Smile the whole day

Be left with any kind of strong emotional feeling after watching this movie. The movie leaves you basically the way you felt before watching the anime. The movie lacks passion.

Characters: Crazy whacky characters with personalities an inch deep.

You can throw in a ninja samurai warrior, a succubus and a witch into a story, doesn't automatically make the characers interesting. The problem with the anime series is that it's focused on Kyon, a normal, regular highschooler, he's also BORING.

Overall: Enjoyable movie. Not a movie that went well beyond my expectations. Not memorable nor inspiring. Just another movie to watch and forget.

Senthen's avatar By Senthen on Dec 28, 2010

In my opinion, a movie totally deserving of it's #1 ranking in the charts at the moment.

I disagree with the complaints of an hour long introduction. I see it as a perfect way to set the scene and really got me into the movie.

I wouldn't go so far as it say it was the 'perfect movie', but I personally think it came pretty close.

The storyline was just amazing. With many edge-of-your-seat moments, and I loved how it kept me thinking and wondering. However, the ending left me both abit confused and somewhat unsatisfied.

I can't complain about the almost three hour movie length, all the more for me to watch :)

Can't wait to see more of the SOS Brigade on screen.

9.9/10 story
9.5/10 sound
dietmango's avatar By dietmango on Aug 11, 2011

I’m sure those who experienced the Haruhi Suzumiya re-broadcast expressed great disappointment for the inclusion of the infamous Endless Eight arc. I should know, because I’m one of the many who did. Afterwards, a friend of mine somewhat defended it, stating it was a pretty clever ‘stunt’ and exemplified the meaning of that particular arc’s title. While I initially (and vehemently) disagreed with him, I eventually came around and accepted Endless Eight for what it was. Still, I understand why people were angry, especially for those who had high expectations for it. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu) movie though, ought to quell that frustration down.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is the fourth volume in the ongoing light novel series of the same name, taking place mid-December (more specifically, December 16) with Christmas right around the corner. Planning a nabe (hotpot) party for that day, the SOS Brigade makes preparations for the event. Then suddenly, Kyon goes to school two days later to find that everything had changed: Haruhi Suzumiya and Itsuki Koizumi are gone, Mikuru Asahina doesn’t know him and no one but Kyon himself has memories of the SOS Brigade. To make things more complicated, he finds Yuki Nagato as an ordinary human and most surprising of all, Ryoko Asakura is back. Trying to get to the bottom of why all this is happening, the only clue Kyon has is a bookmark left behind by the original Yuki, and it may just have the answers he’s looking for.

As somebody who’s read most of the light novels, Disappearance is by far my favorite, and marks the high point of the entire series for me. I didn’t, however, expect the movie to suddenly change in tone because I never had that impression while reading through the light novel version. Still, I liked the change of pace and thought it worked, and the movie indeed stays true to the original. I didn’t really notice any big changes to the plot, and I couldn’t be more satisfied with how every scene was presented.

And speaking of presentation, everything about the movie looks sharp, clean, and beautifully rendered. The backgrounds, as well as the character designs look fantastic. The animation is also solid and is reflected by how fluid everything is, from the character movements to their compelling facial expressions. Heck, I’m even compelled to point out that it’s also got some adequately done lighting effects, as I don’t really see much of it these days. To sum it up nicely, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya looks damn good, and I found myself admiring the visuals for most of my time with it.

That said the movie is far from perfect. In fact, it’s got its fair share of problems. You’ll most likely find yourself agonizing through a number of boring scenes instead of anything compelling or significant that moves the plot forward. There are times in the movie where nothing really exciting or anything that hooks the audience happens. It would’ve helped if there were more dialogue during those times or if they’ve been cut altogether. Instead, you’re treated to a great story that’s bogged down by slow pacing, ruining the flow of the movie.

Despite that, Disappearance focuses more on specific character development, something the first season didn’t necessarily do. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was pretty much a light-hearted slice-of-life comedy that put its action and sci-fi trappings to smart, intriguing uses, and all its main characters were smack dab in the middle of it. Disappearance takes those attributes to a more serious approach. The story itself is sort of a ‘what if’ scenario, placing Kyon and Yuki Nagato as its two central protagonists.

Ultimately though, this is Kyon’s story. Not only for the obvious reason of his role as narrator-- seeing things through his perspective, but because of the fact that Disappearance puts a lot of emphasis on his inner struggles as well as his psyche. His monologues throughout the movie are what surprised and impressed me the most, and it’s different than the ones from the first season. As those were strictly pertaining solely to his reactions, the ones in Disappearance actually make him develop as a character, and you definitely notice it as the movie progresses, especially right up to the film’s culmination. Kyon’s voice actor, Tomokazu Sugita, does a particularly outstanding job on this matter and the rest of the cast is always excellent at bringing their characters to life.

Music also makes a large contribution to setting the entire mood of the film, and I think it’s a fine soundtrack overall. While it owes and derives its main themes from Erik Satie’s melancholic yet beautiful Gymnopédies and Gnossiennes piano pieces, composer Satoru Kousaki delivers some stirring orchestra work that not only sounds pleasing to the ears, but perfectly fit the situations at hand. Sadly, I found Minori Chihara’s “Yasashi Boukyaku” (Sweet Oblivion) a lackluster ending theme and weak compared to the rest of the movie’s tracks. In any case, you should have an enjoyable time listening to the rest of the soundtrack.

It’s certainly safe to say that The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is the true second season fans have been hoping for. Perhaps the movie could’ve fared better with a shorter length, better pacing, or a less solemn tone with more comedic/action-y moments, something many have been accustomed to in the first season. In the end though, Disappearance is a good sci-fi mystery film that comes together nicely towards the end, despite how majority of it turned out slow and horribly paced. Regardless, fans will be pleased with the results, and should be enough to put the Endless Eight outcry to rest.

NoCheerios's avatar By NoCheerios on Dec 22, 2010

No exaggeration here. Literally, there were no flaws with this movie.

I'm not one of those people who simply thinks, "I reellly liekd teh storiie, so evrytin gats a 10/10 woohoo." Literally, each individual factor of this movie deserved a 10.

With no detectable flaws whatsoever, I can safely say this is the first time I've ever given any form a media a perfect 10/10. Really, go watch this. NOW.