The Severing Crime Edge

Alt titles: Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge

Mohyeekage's avatar By Mohyeekage on Dec 17, 2014

I can summary the review in 5 points that will make marathon the whole anime in 1 single night:

1. The main character has a hair fetish. (It's true I swear, I bet it's your first to know of a hair fetish LOL)

2. The heroine is a Loli with hair twice her height long.

3. Every other friccin character other than those two have a killing fetish, they all have an urgent sensation to kill and kill and well... Kill, also killing make them horny.

4. The main villain is a mature women with huge crazy Oppai

5. I don't have anything to say, (I tried to fix it and make them only 4 points but was too lazy to do it)

there is yuri in this anime so it is a must. XD

Best quote in the anime: He violated my hair

7.5/10 story
KingArthur13th's avatar By KingArthur13th on Jun 10, 2013

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge (The Serving Crime Edge) is a dramatic battle series submersed in a number of sexual fetishes. Despite that last statement, this series isn't really ecchi except for a few select moments. Gotta admit, I like this series even though it is pretty cheesy in many instances. The action is pretty over exaggerated which is somewhat funny but adds great entertainment. You'll get a kick out of this series for it's exaggerated fight scenes and budding romance.

Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge primarily focuses on character development more than it does on fighting scenes. Maybe it would of been a better idea to focus more on the action and survival. The characters are made up of your basic cast from most shonen series. the headstrong white knight MC (Kiri) and the helpless danzel in distress (Iwai). The arch nemesis that has never really tried to kill the main characters but constantly says they're enemies along with a loyal and mentally disturbed partner (Byouinzaka sisters). There are a cast of other below average characters and the only ones that seem to really stand out to me is the blind pianist Hitomi and her deaf Instead, Houichi. Sadly neither of them get any real screen time and are just seen for about eight minutes in total. The characters don't really stand out and are each pretty generic including the cheesy  romance between Kiri and Iwai. Their relationship is exactly what you would expect from your average action/romance series. Alone, each character aren't exactly anything special but their interactions is where the entertainment comes in.

Despite how serious Crime Edge attempts to be, what really seems to be the most enjoyable part of the show are the slightly comical battles. The fight scenes are actually somewhat funny. Just imagine seeing a dramatic battle set in a dark hallway at sundown between a guy holding a pair of scissors and a girl holding a needle. That's pretty much the first battle in this series and it might be as funny as what you're imagining. Crime Edge is actually a pretty enjoyable show to watch if you're not a hardcore shonen anime viewer or a very critical judge of anime. It's a bunch of fun to watch and I recommend it. Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge definitely has some high entertainment value.

6.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
6.4/10 characters
YoakeCassidy's avatar By YoakeCassidy on Jun 30, 2013

I watched Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge in precisely two days. That was all it took. The episodes flowed over into each other naturally and I'm glad I started late so I didn't have to wait a week every time.

Dansai Bunri is the story of a middle school boy, Kiri, who has a fetish for cutting hair. He meets a cursed girl, Iwai-chan, and practically falls in love with her instantly. Being the only one who can cut her hair with his Killing Goods, cursed scissors he inherited through his bloodline (it belonged to a brutal killer), they stick around each other and soon fall in love. Nevertheless, him cutting her hair started something. They find out that everyone with a Killing Goods (Authors) wants to kill her, because then they can have a wish granted. Kiri, however, vows to protect her, even if that means becoming evil, as long as she will still accept him. Iwai happily agrees. The battle begins.

From episose one I really enjoyed Dansai Bunri, because of variating aspects. I liked the story line, how they played with young love and fetishes, I liked the animation, because it underlined every character's personality, I liked the characters themselves, because of their realism. When I continued watching it, I found that I really found it an enjoyable anime. It was realistic (as far as a plot like that can be realistic) and still it had that supernatural air over it that you can't avoid.

What also attracted me were the characters that weren't exactly in the spotlights. They're overall development and personalities, along with their backstories, were very interesting. Also, the series managed to surprise me when the student council president turned out to be the servant of the student council vice-president. I didn't see that coming.

My favourite character? Rulebook. An Author that kills criminals out of a strange sense of justice. He's kind of a creep, but I enjoyed his relationship with the police officer that chased him.

Of course, there were some things that I thought were highly illogical. Like, after the party, Kiri does lick Iwai-chan's neck, but kissing her lips is a no-go. Little details like that felt kind of off, but they weren't extremely annoying.

All in all, it was an enjoyable anime in the genre 'fetishes-crime-murder-love-ethics'. Though it's very obvious that the end of the anime is not the end of the story. It has barely just started.

Bestanimeserie's avatar By Bestanimeserie on Jul 4, 2013

Synopsis
After reading through the synopsis the story is about kiri who has been obsessed with cutting hair since he was a kid and always carry's a pair of scissors around, then he meets iwai a young girl who's hair can't be cut. The girl iwai is also a unwilling participant in a deadly game where other people have ' killing goods' special items to kill and whoever kills iwai gets a prize beyond imagination. Wielding his shears kiri must protect iwai against those who wish to kill her.

Story: While the story does start of well and the first few episode's are quite good the show does takes small detours which are mostly more fetishes and make the story quite bad since it's not looking at the main storyline but rather at side story's. So why the high score you ask? well the story isn't that original but there are reasons why people go after Iwai-chan and not ' just because' that is a great part I liked.

Animation: Nothing to mention here the action is smooth and the animation is what you'd expect from a show in 2013

Characters: The characters are a bit bland I liked the interactions and comedy moments but they really where pretictable and kind boring since they introduced a new 'bad guy' almost every episode there wasn't really a main evil root.

Sounds: The opening in this show was really good, I really liked it and it fitted the show very well. The ED wasn't one of my favorite's but it was still kinda nice. Background sounds was one of the things I did not notice and it wasn't that good but on the other hand the music/sounds during the battle scene's where done really good.

Enjoyment: Well this was a enjoyable anime and actually the one I was most looking forward to this season, whilst it didn't really go as I expected it was still pretty good and if you don't mind the fetishes you should really check this one out!

Now for the ratings

Story 7/10
Animation 8/10
Characters 6/10
Sound 7/10
Enjoyment 7/10

Overall 7/10

Recommendations

If you liked this show you most likely want to check out mirai nikki since that has many things similar to this show.

If you have comments, tips or anything else feel free to leave a message!

LinkSword's avatar By LinkSword on Jun 27, 2013

When this anime was first announced, I called it: having read the synopsis, I thought it sounded ridiculous (non-cuttable hair... most pointless/innocuous curse ever?), and it seemed just a new excuse for a run-of-the-mill action seinen (which feels totally like a shonen) with a pretension of high stakes and mature content. Then the show started airing, and it proved me right.

First, I'll say that the premise is not original: guy with a strange fetish (Kiri) gets 'mysterious', fetish-fulfilling girl (Iwai) out of confinement and protects her from those who get in the way of their relationship (Authors) for their own goals (in this case, killing the girl apparently grants wishes). Without looking back further, that's pretty much the recent Sankarea, except that this show is more action-oriented and a tad less inane.

I didn't exactly suffer to get through Dansai Bunri - even in its mediocrity, it has enough momentum not to become a chore. Still, you are not going to get anything special from this show. The storyline doesn't really get further than what the premise suggests: separate arcs of the male lead fighting this or that random villain who loses their shit and/or wants to murder the main loli. And he does this... WITH A PAIR OF SCISSORS!

...

...... CURSED SCISSORS!

"Hahah... That's cute"

He also becomes her daily hairdresser since the hair respawns at night like an RPG cave troll. And that's about it. Some enemies end up as allies, others fade into the background forever, and the less fortunate are killed off by other Authors. There's no major, lasting conflicts with especially remarkable villains, nor is there enough backdrop to the whole setting of Authors and Killing Goods to keep things engaging in that regard. There are hints at a major organization plotting against the protagonist duo (Gossip), but once both it and the person in charge are introduced, interest is also lost here because, really, they put no effort in actually making the organization seem interesting or at least threatening.

80k3.png

Check it out, these guys are trouble: you can tell because they smirk, drink moose piss and their glasses reflect all light.

The finale is more of the same, except with even more stupid exploitation than usual. It basically hints at a potential second season where Kiri will just keep meeting deranged individuals and defeating them. Bleh.

On the other hand, we have the budding relationship between Kiri and Iwai, which never really develops considerably. Sure, at some point they seem to recognize each other as something like lovers, but that never materializes in any form other than hair-licking action (if you didn't watch the show and are feeling dumbfounded, know that I'm not done yet with this!), so in the end it feels like nothing's changed: 13 episodes later, they act around each other in about the same way as they did in the beginning.

So that being said, all that's left to make up for the lack of proper plot progression in all fronts would be compelling action. I'm not going to lie, some of the battle scenes are pretty smooth and display cool movements (and a sufficient amount of blood), but they are also short and, since there's no real tension to be had in a show as predictable as this, they feel more like small anechdotes than blood-pumping, decisive deathmatches. The painful amount of melodrama and miss-or-miss humor decorating Dansai Bunri at all moments further makes my eyes roll away from the faux-excitement of the fighting. The Killing Goods' powers are not all that unique/quirky, or compelling to watch, anyway.

Fear the power of science!

But undoubtedly the most laughable aspect is how the show takes itself so seriously without realizing it doesn't even have a proper basis for that to work. Every character is insane in a way or another, which is portrayed in very overblown ways for the sake of childish shock factor... and this directly translates into a wide selection of obscure fetishes which are supposed to make you go ''OMGZ THIZ SHOW IZ SO MESSED UP AND KEWL!!1!", but ultimately what it achieves is making me laugh to tears while covering my face in utter embarrassment.

Here are some examples for shits and giggles (missing quite a few):

Hair-cutting fetish! The main attraction of this show!

Syringe fetish (+yuri incest action)! A must for all self-conscious dark seinen!

Asphyxia fetish! You should try it out too, all the cool kids are doing it!

Whip-licking play! Spanking included in the pack!

Foot fetish! This is the normal one in comparison!

Hair-licking fetish! YUM~! (But a kiss in the mouth is too hardcore)

Happy sudden rape! The girl seems to like it so it's a-okay!

Loli pantsu! What would we do without our barely legal fanservice?

Oh, and add to this the silly sadistic murderers, because no story is complete without at least two of these. Truly a lovely bunch!

---

Which brings me to the characters.

Kiri is your typical, average shonen-ish lead who has a special power not many possess, and his objective in the story is to use it to protect Iwai and their peaceful everyday life together. Another valid description could be ''fucking boring'', because that's about all he has to offer personality-wise (well, he's also a professional hair licker, that's gotta count for something, right?).

Iwai is also average, except worse. Her main quirk is her evergrowing, uncuttable hair, and the fact the action revolves around her death and life. And with that as a plot device, she's just rendered as a figure to be protected and rarely does she show any initiative of her own. The creator simply gambled that the readers/viewers would be enchanted by her loli ''cuteness'' and sympathise with her simple, generic sob backdrop story, and thus her character never truly develops past that.

The rest of the cast is, as aforementioned, comprised of one-dimensional pricks with their own insane quirks (2deep4me), and of course each of them gets a conveniently placed, hyper-short backstory to supposedly justify the fact they're all a bunch of evil deviants. And honestly, other than perhaps the little Byouinzaka sister, who actually gets a minimal amount of development, all these are just poor attempts at making me relate with near-rapists or delusional murderers that only deserve a shot in the forehead.

I bet you could saw one or two dozens of them trees with those teeth, but the rest isn't worth much.

---

When it comes to the technical values, the show is accomplished enough. The color scheme is gritty, varied and vibrant, shading is used considerably well and, again, the animation is decent, especially for action scenes.

However, I really don't like the character designs: those square-ish heads, the way the different facial expressions are drawn, those humongous eyes even by manganime standards... it all honestly feels more amateurish than unique. And Iwai is loli enough to make you feel awkward about her thinking of a relationship with Kiri rather than about the next Barbie she's going to buy.

Background music, sound effects and voice acting are unremarkable, but sufficient. They do help a lot to the ''show taking itself too seriously'' effect I was mentioning earlier, though. The opening theme is quite good.

---

Overall, this covers nearly all fetishes imaginable so it's a good hentai is a mediocre seinen, more appropriate for teens, which loves to think it's heavy and dark in content because it has blood and sexually messed up individuals. The story goes nowhere, the characters are dull and overblown, and the action is not good enough to make up for everything else. It's easy to watch as brainless entertainment but little else, really.

Not recommended unless you like your icecreams with delicious hair strands.

3.5/10 story