The Rose of Versailles

Alt title: Versailles no Bara

VivisQueen's avatar By on Oct 8, 2007

Having first seen this series as a child of nine or ten in Germany, it was an enormous pleasure to revisit Rose of Versailles with an adult mindset. I remember it being one of my favourite childhood anime but was surprised to find that it exceeded even my adult expectations; it isn't for children at all! Told from the perspective of gender-switched Lady Oscar Jarjeyes of the elite Royal Guard, who is subsequently caught between duty and justice, we don't get a simple ‘rich baddies against poor goodies' kind of tale, but an epic and complex weaving of backgrounds and personalities.

Anyone with even a marginal understanding of history will understand that there's a rather important revolution coming at the end, so that in itself cannot be the hook. Instead, what drives the plot are the frenzied actions of the cast as they try to make the best of a stark situation. While the poor live in fear of starvation, the rich live in fear of becoming like the poor and, despite their superficial differences, each group is portrayed as drowning persons flailing against the inevitable. That's not to say everybody is flat and self-explanatory - far from it, the entire cast is a colourful pic'n'mix of personalities, with both good and bad intentions which do not necessarily lead to their predicted consequences. Let's take the aristocracy's treatment of the poor as an example. Just like the ordinary human, the rich aren't one-dimensionally selfish, but rather they make bad decisions or simply suffer from misfortune, or they realise the true nature of the situation too late to rule effectively, or all of the above. The plot is thus far from predictable, twisting and spiralling (mostly downwards) as the relationships and antagonisms develop.

Plenty of subplots are on offer too, from Marie Antoinette's stumble towards ultimate doom to the ambitious Jeanne's cut-throat grab for power; and if that's not good enough, there's always Oscar and her best friend Andre's heart-wrenching romance.

Although dated, Rose is still very watchable. The pretty character designs and bright hues, reminiscent of series like Escaflowne and spoofed in productions like Ouran, make me suspect that Rose is the anime that set the bar for my tastes later in life. Hair is golden, eyes are like lakes, tears sparkle, men are beautiful, and grass has never been greener. On the downside (for those who care about such things) there is much reliance on still shots and repeat frames but, to be fair, the sketch-like still frames are the gaming equivalent of cut scenes - they add more drama to the events and act as visual treats. Furthermore, I was pleasantly surprised by the relative competence of the combat sequences, which were detailed in movement and flowed nicely.

The sound quality leaves something to be desired; it occasionally has that shrillness which accompanies old videotape footage. However, when it comes to other things like voice-acting and soundtrack, Rose of Versailles doesn't disappoint. Although the entire cast performed well, Oscar has by far my favourite voice because she achieves a difficult balance between the feminine and masculine, meaning whether in a dress or in a soldier's uniform she is believable as the same person. The soundtrack has plenty to offer for all the different moods and settings, with my favourite being the slow harpsichord version of the opening theme used during touching or harrowing scenes. The OP is suitable, although even now I prefer the German version (hoorah for youtube!) because the Japanese vocals just seem too high and soft to set the tone for the episodes.

Oscar, the centrepiece of it all, who like the opening image in the credits suggests, is a lone rose blossoming in a rather thorny place. Her main driving motivation seems to be protecting the honour of the state of France and the people she loves no matter whom the opponent. My biggest fear with characters like hers is that creators too often fail to deliver on their promise of someone just, heroic, and kick-arse whilst being simultaneously female. Fortunately, Oscar is not one of those cases, managing to match every guy sword for sword and pride for pride.

Also, rather than ignore or destroy Oscar's femininity, the series grapples with it through her inner turmoil. She's not a transvestite or someone who particularly wishes to be sexually a male; her adopted masculinity was initially for convenience. However, later in life, it becomes apparent that she doesn't quite know what to do with the part of her that traditionally should be in a dress. Men still fall in love with her but then so do the women, who see in her the dashing hero so different from the conniving gentlemen of the Court. Watching her frustration through the relationships she develops, for instance with Andre, is a fascinating experience indeed.

Then there is the infamous Marie Antoinette, portrayed here as someone so innocently hedonistic, gullible, and incompetent, that within minutes she pissed me off something rotten; there wasn't one episode that went by with her in it that didn't make me want to pull out my hair in frustration, shouting ‘Baka!' Surprisingly, she is also one of the more complex and well-characterised personalities. In fact it's difficult to judge most of the characters one way or the other because they prove subtle in unexpected ways. I'd argue the legacy of this kind of characterisation exists in series like Nana, where behaviour is painful to watch but which, in the end, is actually a reflection of the nature of life.

Overall

Rose of Versailles, where love is tragic, greed is rife, and loyalty is absolute - it's great fun to watch but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. If you're looking for an anime where nobody gets a break and the personal and the political become intertwined in a downward-spiralling path of destruction, then this is it. It really delves into what it means to struggle and fall, providing a twisty plot with great cliff-hangers and superb characterisation.

roriconfan's avatar By on Aug 21, 2012

Before this anime, the term “interesting scenario” was still science fiction because all shows that preceded it had a story that could fit in 2 episodes and all the rest was just filler. Not only that, but Rose of Versailles (ROV) happens to be amongst the top (if not the top 1) best historical anime ever made. And just think that it is over 30 years old by now and still not many can get where it did.

So just from the description alone we have a highly interesting historical backdrop; that of the times before and during the French Revolution, when the world was changed forever. You immediately feel that you are watching events that shake the world and that it all happened for real. It is not a fictional story of aliens invading Earth and a huge robot goes to stop them with a magic sword. I mean, Captain Harlock had an equally engaging setting but as I wrote in my review it was too heavily based on technology and the hero could summon a hundred different deus ex machina means to win, which mad the whole thing superficial and highly unreal.

It is an interesting topic of how anime were never meant to be historically accurate and that they are to the most part a form of escapism where we expect to see unrealistic situations, simplistic stories and superficial characters we can identify with. But that does not mean there can’t be an attempt to marry the real with the unreal and still be entertaining, as with the case of this anime. In fact, having a historical backdrop makes the drama of the story all the more powerful as nobody can reject it as far fetched. Or that even someone who already knows how things turned out to be like, will still find the inevitable fate of the characters to be highly tragic. All that without the need for the author to even foreshadow anything; it is all there from the beginning.

The thing with this anime is that it is not the first historical but the first historical with a very interesting setting. All previous works were mostly about a generic situation in some rural area, where the heroes were kids, usually poor and orphan, trying to live a happy life with friends and romance and the likes. A favorite of mine from a previous entry is Candy Candy, which encompasses everything a good historical story should be about. But as cute as all that may have been, the setting still remained overly simplistic and devoid of action or anxiety. No wonder the genres were divided in a way to have super robots with brain dead action and simplistic stories to be aimed at boys, while historical based ones with lots of everyday lives of normal people were aimed at girls.

So then ROV comes along and somewhat merges these two polar genres. The setting is now more exciting, there is some action, there is some romance, and there are tragic historical personalities. And if you so much want some poor peasant girl in a very dramatic story, well here you go, it has one in quite the grim situation. It also has many nobles and aristocrats, in full glamour and selfishness, blind to the needs of their people. Plus it has a gender bender.

Yup, as I foretold in my Ribbon no Kishi review, this anime took the next step at the topic with the case of Oscar, a woman raised to behave as a rather feminine looking young man because of social demands once again. As fun as it was back in the time Osamu Tezuka had his hero being a boy in a girl’s body doing something similar, after awhile the whole thing felt flat out silly and too heavy on unrealistic magic. Oscar is a far more down to earth character, striving to be a good swordsman in order to protect his/her noble friend/superior, as well as the peasants from the greed of the nobles and the ruthlessness of the military.

It is very graphical from time to time, showing murder and death and lies to frame someone, even cases of rape and pedophilia. The animators were not too scared to show the inhumane side of the nobles and of the dark side of humanity in general. Again, although Captain Harlock had done something similar with its setting, mankind there always ended up being conquered by aliens and then begging the hero to save them with his ship alone. Highly unrealistic before this setting where villains and victims are all normal people living in the same country and where the solution is public uproar and not super energy beams and indestructible spaceships. It makes the whole thing feel a lot more familiar and easier to identify with.

Another very good feature is how the story is not entirely focused on one character alone. Although Oscar is the main hero/ine, in reality the story continually shifts to numerous others and allows us to see things from various different perspectives. And I don’t mean filler scenes with the villains plotting their next move or a side character doing nonsense; I mean essential stuff to help you grasp the situation of the world. In fact, the first half of the show is mostly about Maria Antoinette rather than Oscar, as we see her gradually turning from a scared girl amidst the intrigues of the royal court into a snobby woman, indulged in the riches and the coldness towards the very emotions she once cared about. Frankly speaking, this was never done before in such an extent.

But it is not like I consider this anime to be perfect. Its animation has several problems around proportions and many characters do seem to be similar looking. Also, the pacing of the show seems to be terribly slow in the middle and terribly rushed in the ending, with the finale being nothing but narration to fill in all of the stuff the animators failed to show properly. But it still is quite the feat for its time and worthy to belong in the top ten best retro anime of all time, as well as the top five historical.

And it’s not like its themes were never exploited in the future, like in the case of time traveler Go Nagai’s works. Many later anime had great touches of royalty and French Revolution feeling to them, such as in the cases of Legend of Galactic Heroes, Revolutionary Girl Utena, The Count of Monte Christo, and Chevalier D’Eon. There are also some other child oriented anime around the three musketeers, such as Wanwan Sanjushi and Anime Sanjushi.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 8/10
General Artwork 2/2 (interesting)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (French beauty)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (artsy)

SOUND SECTION: 8/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 4/4 (catchy songs)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 9/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (erratic)
Complexity 2/2 (goes back and forth in many ways)
Plausibility 2/2 (I don’t remember any internal logic problems)
Conclusion 2/2 (solid)

CHARACTER SECTION: 10/10
Presence 2/2 (extravagant)
Personality 2/2 (rather cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 2/2 (it’s there)
Development 2/2 (you betcha!)
Catharsis 2/2 (full house)

VALUE SECTION: 9/10
Historical Value 3/3 (all-known)
Rewatchability 2/3 (high if you skip the boring parts)
Memorability 4/4 (too good to be forgotten)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 7/10
Some parts are boring and slow but overall it is a great work.

VERDICT: 8.5/10

jasonaw2's avatar By on Nov 7, 2015

I am a sucker for anything history espcially European History. When I heard that there was an anime about Marie Antoinette I got very exicted. Since I have not seen many European historical anime's this was going to be a special treat. I can see how this show and manga was ground breaking for the time. Thanks to Rose of Versailles shoujo is the way it is today. To my suprise the show stayed pretty acurtate to history around 90% of the time. The characters where strong and very memorable. This anime did not decpict Marie Antoinette as the famous "let them eat cake" but as a young girl who had no idea of the trouble of France and then a woman who had live with it.

The animation style is old fashioned, but it is beautiful with the usual still frame shock faces and dramatic music. I am picky when it comes to the costumes of historical shows and for the most part the court fashion felt stuck in the 1760s and 1770s whilst in history it changed a good deal during the 1780s and 90s. Other than that, Rose of Versaills needs more praise and attention in America. I feel like everyone should try this show once. It is a great story with one of the best female characters in anime, Lady Oscar.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By on Jul 14, 2015

Critic’s Log – July 14, 2015. Review #95: The Rose of Versailles

When it comes to World History, The French Revolution was always a fascinating subject to me. There happens to be one anime that is a portrayal of French History and even the French Revolution, even if the whole thing is a build-up to the French Revolution. The anime I am referring to is… THE ROSE OF VERSAILLES

Oscar Francois de Jarjayes was raised as if she was a boy, she would later command the palace guards at Versailles in the years before the French Revolution. Her beauty as well as her strong noble spirit makes her a shining figure in the eyes of both men and women but she is torn between her chosen life of service and duty to class and country and her own heart and desires. She lives in nobility amidst the luxuriousness of Versailles but her keen senses and compassion are not blinded to the poverty of the French people.

The Rose of Versailles is a TMS Entertainment production and ran from 1979 to 1980. This anime may be old but do not let its age fool you because this series is what I would consider a “vintage anime”. The animation may look awkward at times but this was made in 1979 till 1980, of course the aesthetics are going to be older than what we have now. I actually never had an issue with the animation although there are a couple visual effects that never really aged well. The one thing that made The Rose of Versailles age extremely well is the overall design. The hairstyles, the clothing, and the Palace of Versailles all look marvelous in this anime. I did some research and saw pictures of French art, sculptures and even the architecture of the Palace of Versailles and I have no reason to doubt that the French are known for their exquisite taste in art because of how well detailed French art often is. It is no surprise why France is one of the most visited countries in the world. The exquisiteness of France is translated well in The Rose of Versailles. Not only is the artwork marvelous, the character designs also stand out for the time it came out. Like I said, there are some visual effects that don’t age well but that is only the bare minimum of the entire animation aspect of this anime. There are some animation quirks but even after 30 years, it still looks remarkable.

The music by Kouji Makaino is an interesting case. There are some stringed instruments used, a harpsicord, and even violin. In other words, considering the historical account and how dramatized and romanticized it is... this soundtrack is very fitting even if some tracks are a little overused. This was made in 1979 till 1980 so it’s excused. I will say that as much as I liked the opening to Neon Genesis Evangelion even though it is considered one of the most iconic and beloved anime openings, The Rose of Versailles has a wonderful opening. I never skipped it when I was watching the show and I really liked the opening a lot with each passing episode.It is sung by Hiroko Suzuki and she also sang the closing theme which is also is a nice closing theme to the show. I however recommend skipping the closing theme for this show in its first half because for some unknown reason, there is a quote that is spoken in the closing theme that SPOILS a big plot point that happens near THE END OF THE SHOW. Good thing the quote is omitted in the second half of the series. Like I said, the music is fitting in the show.

Now since The Rose of Versailles was never licensed till 2012, it would be very odd to have a recent dub on an old series. For those that often watch English Dubbed anime, I am sorry to say this but this series is only available SUBTITLED. That should not be an excuse to pass on a series with great storytelling such as this one. Reiko Tajima was excellent as Oscar, Taro Shigaki is fine as Andre. Miyuki Ueda is not too bad as Marie Antoinette, and the late Nachi Nozawa is fine as Fersen. The main lead seiyus may have not done too much since (with the exception of Nachi Nozawa) they did excellently in The Rose of Versailles.

Some of the characters are fictional but there are portrayals of Marie Antoinette, Hans Axel von Fersen, Rosalie Lamorlière, Madame du Barry, Louis XVI and so forth that are in The Rose of Versailles. Marie Antoinette is romanticized in this series but her actions are dramatized in a way that I would feel somewhat sorry for her even though she was an infamous figure in French history. Now I may sound like I’m spoiling The Rose of Versailles but I don’t think I am because this anime is based off historical events leading up to the French Revolution. Hans Axel von Fersen makes the series interesting but I would not rather go in much detail on that since he does interact with some fictional characters… Rosalie had the most liberty taken with the historical portrayal since not much is known about her except she was the last servant to Marie Antoinette. Most of the things that happen with her are mostly fictional, but she is a nice supporting character in The Rose of Versailles. Now there’s Oscar François de Jarjayes. Oscar’s father wanted a male heir but it turned out that the child was a girl. So Oscar’s father decides to raise his newborn daughter as if she were a boy. Oscar is admired by both men and women because of her demeanor and elegance. Now looks aren’t everything because Oscar Francois de Jarjayes is a well-developed character in this show and she is one of my favorite female characters. Lady Oscar was not the first “of her kind”… you know, the lady taking on a typical male role. Osamu Tezuka’s Princess Sapphire had this similar concept where Princess Sapphire pretends to be a male knight for a specific cause. Also, Revolutionary Girl Utena is also another series with a similar concept. Even though Oscar is physically female, she is identified as Gender-fluid. There is no Identity crises addressed in this series and Oscar is a very believable and she develops extremely well in this series. Not only is Oscar well-developed, but so is André Grandier. I won’t say much about Andre because he is not as much of a special case than Oscar. I will say that Andre’s purpose in the plot is rewarding to watch. All the characters make The Rose of Versailles intriguing to watch.

Another fascinating aspect of The Rose of Versailles is the story, I did state early in the review that it is based on historical accounts leading up to The French Revolution and for those that are into French history should not miss out on this series. It may be romanticized in some areas but the historical aspect is still kept true to the turbulent spirit of the events that are portrayed in this fictional telling of French history. The show may be slow at first but the slow pacing is excused since it fleshes out the characters. The first half of the series does focus more on Marie Antoinette and this is fine since Oscar served for Marie Antoinette, the focus did later turn more to Oscar in the second half of the series. Even though the focus is different in two points, I have no problems with this because Oscar was still treated as the main character throughout the entire anime’s runtime. There is also another thing that I should note is that the first 18 episodes were directed by the late Tadao Nagahama, he passed away during the airing of The Rose of Versailles and the remainder of the show was passed down to the late Osamu Dezaki who was known for his distinct visual techniques at his time and the pastel freeze frames are a good example because they are used in this show. I remembered the Berserk TV series had the pastel freeze frames which was kind of hit and miss except for an end of an episode. The pastel freeze frame technique however works well in The Rose of Versailles and I am glad this isn’t used a whole lot but I like how it is used in this series.

Now as excellent as this show was, I had a couple issues with the story. First off, the finale had some odd pacing in the last 10 minutes and even though it ends with a nice touch… the second thing that bothered me was one scene that the narrator of The Rose of Versailles is to blame for. The narrator did hint events such as The Affair of the Diamond Necklace and the French Revolution and this is acceptable since they did happen, but near the very end of the series, the narrator blurts out something that will happen before it even happens. The Rose of Versailles is not all sparkles, sunshines, and rainbows. This is no surprise since The French Revolution is involved but I must ask myself this… Why the hell would someone think that a narrator telling the viewer things in advance sound like a good idea? I am so glad this only occurs once, but this also took place in the final stages. For a series that was so good for the heavy majority, this only narration-spoiler felt out of place. I will look on the bright side, at least it wasn’t as annoyingly infuriating as the Narrator from LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES. I also found the last 10 minutes underwhelming thanks to the odd pacing but I am not saying the conclusion is bad, it is just had some things left to be desired. Even though I have a couple issues with it, it was still a truly excellent series overall.

The Rose of Versailles is available by Nozomi Entertainment, The movie “The Rose of Versailles: I’ll Love You As Long as I Live” was never licensed and I don’t see the point in watching it because it is a 90 minute compilation. The iconic shojo manga of the same name by Riyoko Ikeda was just recently licensed by Udon Entertainment and will at last have an official English Translation.

And now…My final verdict! The Rose of Versailles has a compelling story with believable characters as well as taking liberties of historical French figures without taking too much of what is recorded in history. This masterpiece also has a great soundtrack for its time and the animation has aged extremely well. This anime has not withered in time, it has an aroma of excellence.

That being said, I give The Rose of Versailles a 9.7 out of 10.

Feel free to leave a comment.

9.5/10 story
9.9/10 animation
9.6/10 sound
9.7/10 overall
MrChearlie's avatar By on Jul 6, 2013

Mi bad english, mi fix errors as soon as mi notice them.

I just finish it, so I'm still a little speechless, not because I don't have anything to said, but the opposite, I don't know where to start, I just want to talk a lot about it, there are so many things on it and many that are rarely treated nowadays on anime in this way.

Funny thing that many shows I have loved, have a premise or something that doesn't attract me much; the life of a hikkimori, or the life of space garbage men, in this case it was the year it was made, 1979, but recommendations where all good and now I am very glad I finish it. I pretty much can said that if you have no experience with old anime the first episodes are going to be hard, but if you keep the rhythm of Rose of Versailles, is one of those stories where things get better and better and better starting from why the fuck am I watching this, and ending... just speechless.

Animation (Good)

I think I only laugh 2 jokes they made, it isn't a comedy, but I laugh every episode. It has over-dramatization, thing I hate, and thing I mock and laugh everytime it happens. For example, they open their big beatiful eyes with a spark and give a shiny smile, here I don't have problem, but then it goes the zoom, and then they erase the background and put another full of colours, now the sparkles are not only in the eyes but all over the screen, but look now! bubbles floating in front of your eyes, if that isn't enough to make you know that I am happy how about a rainbow behind me, meanwhile in the other side of the screen -"is she happy?...oh rainbows! she is happy"-. I could go on a mock of this but that description truly happens, I also did pretend to notice she was happy when the rainbow appear, it was just exagerated I couldn't avoid reacting the same, so sometimes it was hard to take it seriously for this same reason. Although the animation wasn't bad, the characters were often still but when there was movement, it was to express what was happening and that is all I ask, they did a good job, it is not spectacular it has some flaws, but the horses are better than spice & wolf that's for sure.

Sound (Good)

The audio was decent, many sounds were odd but you not even notice when they do things off, the voice acting is also nice, Oscar did the best imitation of a monkey screaming in the second episode, wich it is the funniest part of all, if you don't laught you don't have sense of humor. So yeah, screaming is not the thing of the characters, which is weird since Japaneses shout a lot, or maybe I was told wrong, also Oscar manly woman voice was somehow strange at times, but beside those the voice acting is enjoyable, it manage to portrait the characters as they should. And the music, it is cheesy and old, I like cheesy so that's a plus. The repertoire was not big enough but they work with it just sweet, it is repetitive enough so you recognize the songs, but not to the point that you get tired of them. They also use variations of the opening, and they did it so well that I am now I am in love of that 80's music opening, the melody most precisely, they really made it something symbolical in my point of view.

Story (Superb)

As for the story, well what can I say, it's beyond beautiful, it is sublime, it is suberb, yes I am hyping a little bit, but maaaan, watching something like this, is hard to find, and more in anime, I really didn't expect this. There aren't fillers to begin with, it starts slowly, but it doesn't waste any time, it builds up a lot every minute, and they deliver everything just right, (except for Andre), if there is a character on screen it will develop, (except for the nanny and Andre), it is mostly dialogues and few action actions scenes, but trust me when I said this, the dialogues sometimes were so good that they are a lot more worthly than most of action scenes of shounens nowadays, It is like rule of cool in words.

The sense of honor, dignity, love and power are the most important and magnificent aspect of Rose of Versailles, those are the adjetives to describe what this show is about, honor of being part of the royalty or the nobles which is not always by doing the right actions. dignity of following your principles, love of almost every type, family, friends, romance, the country were you live. Power of money and reputation, or the opposite, being almost in complete misery, all of this adjectives are represented in grand scale. This and a lot of other aspects that a revolution can have, and you see everything of what 40 episodes can show you including a beautiful planned story in the same package.

Another thing that was just refreshing was how fearless this was, there were so many things that I was like... wow they truly present us something like that? so refreshing that I was supposed to be sad or angry or scared, and I felt happy (thing I am not to happy about), not a single bit feeling of shock factor for the sake of it, they just present harsh things with the moderation to take it seriously, just like it should be.

There are a lot of things I would like to talk, I really do, but I would spoil, things that are better to go in without knowing what is coming, It is a complete solved puzzle no deny, I could said that I wish it was made on this days, but I take a look of nowadays shows and said, nope it is just perfect where it is.

*whisper* every episode ends with a "it will continue" and you will want to watch more.

Characters (Great)

As an atheist I hope that heaven exist and that there is a section of manly people, in there Oscar-sama will be sitting next to Clint Eastwood, dear god that woman was truly heroic, she has more dignity than all the animated women characters in this year together. Not only she, all women had tons of it, it was the main focus for almost 30 episodes, women. Even Rosallie has a cool sense of dignity, if made nowadays she would be just a silly shy moe girl for the fan service. Maria Antoniette was also truly awesome even when she was pretty despicable, but beside Oscar, my favorite is with no doubt Jeanne, she is one of my favorite villains of all times (of my long 18 years).

In general all the characters were developed enough to understand what is going on with them and I take off my hat for that, but there is one that truly get my nerves, and it was Andre. It start nice, he had development, things happen, he reacts, but there is a point where he do the same thing all the time, let's ride Oscar, let's go to a bar Oscar, Oh Oscar is in danger I need to help her, I get to the point of thinking he was just an imaginary friend of Oscar along with the nanny, but the nanny is the nanny, just for the fact of noticing her name you know you can't expect much of her, but Andre? he is like one of the most important characters on the story! and for almost 20 episodes you give me that shit of , Oscar, Oscar, Oscar. They barely focus on what he is thinking compared with all the panorama of character development that was happening with the others, I really was about to give up and consider him a waste of character, but then a pull-ass mess comes and Andre gets back and create some personality, it was actually really good but after so many episodes of him being Link saying "excuse me princess", the damage was done, so I could barely take him seriosly, but they at least give a more complete perspective of him, so even he get his part on the party.

Enjoyment (Great)

I would recommend this to anybody, but there is a warning, it is hard to watch, I watch anime on nights. Me is tired, me wants brainless entertainment, so watching this was actually hard, but if you finish it, you won't regret it, If you don't finish it, it's understandable, it has over-dramatization, it is almost an animated soap opera half of the time, and it is not brainless entertainment, every episode has lot of information and dialogues going on so is very slow-paced, but it worths giving it a try, no doubts.

Overall (Great)