Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Alt titles: Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

Colibri's avatar By Colibri on Oct 24, 2014

This was a different pick them what I normally see. This is more romance with some comedy and a little bit of mystery. I will more then likely watch it again I liked it a lot . It's a real cute couple to watch.

story:

guy meets girl but shes a ghost they decide to find out how she died but they fall in love. Rest of the show is more about there relationship conflicts but also about another ghost who is evil.

characters: there fun to watch development wise there not realy there but still enjoyable.

aeriass's avatar By aeriass on Sep 28, 2014

Story: I love the script, the principle of the ghost of the young girl in search of her past accompanied by a young man who is the only one to see it. However, the end is pretty but too happy for such anime. Otherwise you have to admit it's an interesting mix of drama and humor that is fluid from beginning to end.

Animation: the animation is nice, clean and able to plunge into the atmosphere

Sound: This opening of Konomi Suzuki is very nice!

Characters: The two main characters are really interesting though it may deplore the fact that Teiichi be aged 12 years ... yet it would seem to have the same age as Yuuko which in 15 years.The secondary characters add a touch of humor is welcome

In conclusion I love anime and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fairly short entertainment

danryd's avatar By danryd on Sep 5, 2014

First off, let me just say that I think that any great show should be able to truly immerse you into the universe that is being made, and Tasogar Otome x Amnesia does this to a level I have rarely ever seen before.

Well then, I just finished watching the whole series in a couple days... I cried so much at the end, right before the final credits.

The characters: This anime, even though it is only 12 episodes, made me fall in love with the characters absolutely and completely. You become so attached to them that when something bad happens, you can't help but feel terrible yourself, and when something good happens, you become overjoyed. There are only a few really important characters so the wonderful people of Silver Link can truly focus in on them and make them truly important to you.

The story is truly a work of art for any romance/horror(somewhat)/action(again somewhat)/mystery anime around, but I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't watched yet, and I say yet because you should, and will if you want to watch a wonderful anime. The story really has to get moving and quick, because a lot is done in only 12 episodes, but it is pulled off flawlessly in my opinion. The only thing that bugged me was a few minor moments that didn't really detract from the show overall, just enough to not be perfect to me. Again, not saying more there for the possiblilty of being whined at about spoilers ;)

Sound: The soundtrack that goes with this anime is well done, and always fits the mood of the current scene. Furthermore, both the opening and the ending, Choir Jail and Requiem (I'm 99% sure that is the correct name for it) respectively work for the anime the whole way through, unlike some others where they just don't fit what is going on at the time.

Finally, animation: While it was very, very good and when the animation shifted to a different style, which happens A LOT throughout the series, it always fit with the action at that point in time. The only thing that somewhat bugged me, just enough to not be a perfect 10, is that sometimes movements are just the slightest bit... jerky? Yeah, seems like the right word. It might just be me being a little insane but it bugged me just that little bit for it not to be perfect to me.

Of course, some of this might just be me being an absolute sucker for this sort of story, so yeah...

9.5/10 story
TheAnimeGuardians's avatar By TheAnimeGuardians on Jun 29, 2012

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia makes a good first impression. The opening song, “Choir Jail,” is a heavy metal assault beautifully accompanied by 15 year old singer Konomi Suzuki in her debut hit. The anime's visuals are stunning and the color palette can only be described as kaleidoscopic. The first episode is comedic gold. But despite the pretty package Dusk Maiden comes in, there's more wrapping paper in this gift than anything else.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia begins on a comedic note and establishes a rather playful atmosphere for our characters. In typical harem fashion, the female members of a school's Paranormal Investigation Club are inexplicably attracted to Teiichi, a guy who seems to be entirely devoid of a sex drive. The only person who stands a chance at getting with him is Yuuko, the school's resident ghost; Teiichi is the first person who she interacts with in a long time, and she frequently makes sexual advances on him, but to no avail. The club looks into the school's various ghost rumors and stories in an attempt to learn about Yuuko's tragic past, which she has no memories of.

The first half of the series is nothing like the second. The fun school antics come to a screeching halt when episode seven rolls around, and we figure out that Yuuko's sour memories and emotions are constantly fed to a Shadow Yuuko, who has become fed up with being Yuuko's emotional receptacle. Shadow Yuuko decides to possess Yuuko's body and harm Teiichi out of spite, and in doing so, Yuuko's memories of Teiichi are transferred into Shadow Yuuko, hence Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. The disparity between the series' halves is a welcome twist and is a move I've seen work on numerous occasions in other anime.

The most impressive aspect of the show is the animation. Character designs aren't particularly unique, but one cannot claim that the atmosphere of Dusk Maiden isn't often marvelous. The hallways of the school are usually dim and shadows creep in from all sides, which is appropriately scary but also tedious. The colors in Dusk Maiden are very impressive. As stated earlier, the colors are kaleidoscopic and wonderfully bathe scenes in Halloween shades of orange and red during sunsets.  The anime at least has all the looks of a great horror show.

The real issue with Dusk Maiden is two-fold. While the story is loaded with possibilities, it gets bogged down by uninspired genre conventions; there are also a great deal of genres that are crammed into the show, none of which are explored to any satisfactory degree. The ecchi elements of Dusk Maiden are initially promising, and the show quickly becomes reminiscent of Rosario + Vampire, another anime dealing with supernatural romanceThe difference is that Dusk Maiden sticks to childish ecchi flirtation that is almost non-existent after the first half of the series, while Rosario + Vampire went above and beyond and at least showed some nipples at one point. Dusk Maiden remains paradoxically tame despite the obvious attraction Yuuko and Teiichi feel for each other. Something as benign as a kiss came at the very last episode, when Teiichi thought he was going to lose Yuuko forever. The simplest otaku fantasies are more stimulating than this.

As a harem anime, Dusk also falls flat on its face. The only girl given attention is Yuuko, while Momoe and Kirie, the other members of the Paranormal Investigation Club, are shunned through omission and negligence. We discover that Kirie is the granddaughter of Yuuko's sister, but that doesn't contribute to the narrative and becomes a trivial fact more than anything else. The show morphs into a never-ending soap opera between two semi-romantically involved people. The paranormal anime Bakemonogatari similarly features a small cast and has plenty of episodes that focus on two or three people, but unlike Dusk Maiden's females, Bakemonogatari's females feel important after some time. Kirie's role is to have epiphanies about Yuuko's past, and Momoe is funny, but take either one of those characters out and  no one would notice.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia isn't terrible, and the underlying story is quite good.  The positives manage to outweigh the negatives, but barely. If only the writers aimed at shaking up the status quo a little bit, this could have been an amazing show.

For more reviews like this one, please visit: http://www.anime-guardians.com/

The Anime Guardians by Nelson Rolon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

</div>

Mendacious's avatar By Mendacious on Dec 1, 2014

Excellent visual style with everything else pretty mediocre

I enjoyed this series a little bit mostly for the artwork. Unfortunately the rest was average at best. It is an attempt at a hybrid romantic horror story. One that despite some initial promise fails to deliver.

While there are horrific moments in the story they are somewhat fragmented preventing any build up in trepidation or fear throughout the series. The horror element dissipates long before the ending because it only effects the ghost in the story. There is no danger or sense of threat directed at the three living humans. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia therefore fails as a horror story.

The romantic element never really takes off either because, besides the lead female Yuuko, the other characters have no depth and make no developments as people. Yuuko loves Niiya. The only explicable reason for this due to his unique ability amongst the stories males to be able to see her (not really, as he is the only male here which makes this seem too much like another harem). And he loves her because..........? Oh yeah, his character archetype: asexual beta super helpful nice good guy has to fall for friendly lonesome victimized ghost girl. Right that all adds up. Needless to say the romantic element also fails here unless you all you want is soppy mush. If you don't want this, make sure to avoid the last episode.

This is a missed opportunity and a waste of some excellent artwork.