Tari Tari

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By AngelBeatsYui on Jul 8, 2014

Warning this review may contain spoilers-

Today my review is for the anime Tari Tari , now this is a truely beautiful 13 episode anime and if you havent watched it, watch it now. The storyline is extremely detailed and it has been put together with care. The whole idea was amazing in itself. But I wouldn't recommend it to you if you don't like drama, there is also a chance you would cry but maybe that was just me, it was that amazing. The animation was perfect for the genre and in most cases like the storyline, very detailed. The character designs were simple but still good.

The music again fitted the genre really well but sadly didn't captivate me for some unknown reason. The opening was cute but the ending wasn't as interesting and I think this let it down slightly, but as I said it might just be me and my weird ways. The voice acting was perfect and I think that they chose the actors pretty well.  The character personalities were great for the anime, these characters just added to the emotional development put there by the show.

In conclusion, this anime is amazing and like I said in the introduction if you haven't watched it, you should. It is truly remarkable and perfect for you who like drama. So overall I would give it an 8 out of 10 due to a few things, like it was slightly rushed into a 13 episode anime but other than that it is amazing. So thank you for reading.

~AngelBeatsYui~

Demelza's avatar By Demelza on Sep 24, 2012

Has to be said that the summer 2012 Anime season was a bit overrun with slice of life genre anime. However, Tari Tari caught my attention for two reasons; the first being the fact it’s a P.A Works title (The studio is most well-known for Angel Beats, and the winter horror series, Another, both of which I enjoyed), and the inclusion of music. I’m a big fan of K-ON!, so I was always drawn to this title. It started out well, it got a bit dull halfway through, and it ended on a high. Here are my thoughts for this interesting little series.

The show focuses around a group of five interesting characters, all very different from one another, and all with very different goals in life. However, their passion for music has brought them together in order to form the “Choir and sometimes Badminton Club” for their last year of school together. Of these five characters we have best friends, Konatsu and Sawa, transfer student, Wien, somewhat grumpy Wakana, and finally the badminton lover, Taichi. Konatsu is the reason the club started up; she has a passion for music, however after being banned from singing in the schools main choir club after an attack of stage fright the year before, she vows to improve and sing once more. If this means leaving the choir club and starting her own club, then so be it. Sawa is Konatsu’s best friend, and while she does enjoy music, her main goal in life is to be a jockey and the show does a good job of showing her passion for horses throughout. Wien has just come back to Japan after living out in Austria for twelve years, so has a lot to get used to on his return to Japan. We mostly see him with his head in a book reading about Japan, however the books normally aren’t the most helpful of sorts and Wien tends to rely on his friends more than anything for guidance. Then we have Taichi who quickly strikes up a friendship with Wien. Admittedly, he is tricked into joining the new choir club through the promise of getting better at playing badminton, but once a part of the club you see he also cares for music. Lastly we have, Wakana. She’s grumpy and difficult for anyone to get close to in the beginning, however as the story unfolds we learn why this is, and without a doubt Wakana ends up taking centre stage of this whole series.

Maybe this is both why Tari Tari succeeds and is hindered by Wakana. What starts off as a series where you care about all the characters and the club; ends up halfway through with you only rooting for Wakana. The rest of the characters seem bland next to her, even the various problems surrounding the characters seem bland. Of course, this is hardly Wakana’s fault, but you are left wishing the other characters had something more to them. For what starts out seeming like a light-hearted series, it actually goes much deeper than you first expect. All of these characters have problems of their own to deal with (admittedly, some worse than others), and you tend to always be kept on your toes as to what is going to happen or be revealed next. Sadly, apart from Wakana, any problems these characters have tend to be resolved within an episode or two, when they really shouldn’t be. No one gets over things as quickly as these kids do, and it would have been nice to still see traces of how things affected them as the series went on and not just end up where Wakana is the only one who doesn’t forget everything she’s been through. However, while these are mild complaints, the show still carries a great deal of emotion with it, and I sat with tears in my eyes during the final episode. With this show you can easily go from not caring for it, to really enjoying it in the space of an episode or two.

Enough about the story and characters though. What about everything else this show has to offer? Well, in terms of artwork this show is really impressive. When it first started airing many quickly feel in love with its setting, which to be fair isn’t hard. The series is set within a city not far from the coast, it isn’t something I’ve seen very often in recent shows, and watching it is something I always found really enjoyable.  The settings look stunning from start to finish. P.A Works have a nice way with character design too, so you aren’t left looking at anything dull in those respects at all. Of course a large portion of this show revolves around music, and does it let us down in that respect? Nope. Granted, none of the soundtrack is truly outstanding, but each tune will stick in your mind well after you finish the episode. It’s all very up-beat and cheery stuff, which fits in nicely with the series. There are some really nice piano pieces thrown in here and there too.

Final word: Tari Tari isn’t an outstanding anime, nor is it amazing. But, it isn’t a bad show either. If you can look past the fact only one character gets major character development and actually has anything to show for it by the end, you will enjoy this series. If you’re a fan of the slice of life genre mixed with music, it’s certainly worth your time.

8.5/10 animation
6.5/10 sound
XxZeroeZxX's avatar By XxZeroeZxX on Feb 17, 2013

Two Makes A Trend

I don't try to claim myself to be an authority on SoLs... Wait, yes I do lol. And PA works has provided us with two great ones back to back. If you were thinking they would struggle to follow up the subtle brilliance of Hanasaku Iroha, you were sorely mistaken because Tari Tari is yet another strong showing. These two series show the versitility of the SoL genre as they approach the SoL ideal in fundamentally different ways. Hanasaku Iroha gave us the quintessential solo feature, a series almost entirely centered around one very strong character and her growth and experiences. Tari Tari on the contrary focuses on the group dynamic, without a solo feature it shows the coming together of several indivuals and discusses not only their experiences together but their own stories as well. Which is better? Well, honestly it's a matter of opinion. As for me, I prefer the solo feature. I rather have one great character than a cast of above-average ones. As such I do hold Hanasaku in higher regard than Tari Tari. However, Tari Tari has many merits that Hanasaku does not have. Obviously, it has a stronger overall cast. So I guess I'll begin by discussing characters. An interesting note about the Tari Tari cast is that unlike the great majority of these group or club series it is not unigendered. I.e. the cast consists of both male and female characters. This struck me right away as point of uniqueness for this series. And indeed that was the case. The main cast is of five characters and they do each have their stories to tell. The first featured character is the spunky Konatsu. Konatsu is no Ohana by any means in fact she even annoyed me a bit early on in the series. But she definitely grew on me as she really exudes the go-getter spirit that made me love Ohana so much. Then there's Sawa, Konatsu life-long friend. Sawa is an interesting character in that she first seems like the eye candy of the series but her personal story actually turns out to be quite compelling particularly in the end. She may well have been my 2nd favorite character behind the person I'll be discussing next. While Tari Tari doesn't have a true #1 character, the closest thing it does have is Wakana. Wakana is technically speaking the driving force to much of the "plot". Wakana is very much an introvert, but in a way she's actually the most like Ohana of the group. She's very likeable and while she has her own story, she also plays into pretty much everyone elses as well. And while I've chosen to discuss the female cast first, that doesn't necessarily imply that the male characters play second fiddle. In particular there's Wien who is the most unique character in Tari Tari. He first strikes you as the lovable quirky member of the gang but when they go into his backstory it's actually quite touching. Then last, and frankly least is Taichi. Taichi is the reason the club is the Choir AND Sometimes Badmington Club. Otherwise he's not that significant until the very end of the series. And what happens with him at the end of the series is admittedly compelling. So characters are obviously the biggest part of this series. As far as the story, there's not too much that needs to be said. As is typical of SoLs it's more of a theme than a story. Something about making a lasting memory before they graduate from high school. It's actually not entirely bullshit. And as the Choir and Sometimes Badmington Club would imply, this is a musical series. Nothing spectacular, but the musical theme does create a nice lite atmosphere that was very appropriate for the series. What else, of course as is always to be expected of PA Works the animation is brilliant. And all and all, the best I can say about this series is that it's very uplifting and just plain enjoyable to watch. Nothing incredibly intelligent, just happy and fun. And that's exactly what you want out of a series like this. So, without further delay, I give Tari Tari a highly respectable 8 out of 10. For those who are interested, PA Works newest series Red Data Girl (RDG) is coming up in the Spring so something to look forward to :).

7.5/10 story