Tamako Market

Bestanimeserie's avatar By Bestanimeserie on Apr 14, 2013

Story 6.5/10:  The story is about a mochi maker's daughter named Kitashirakawa Tamako who someday finds a talking bird (dela) the bird tells her he's looking for a bride, not for himself but for his prince and that he lost his way. Tamako decides to keep the bird and that's about the whole story without any spoilers, the show doesn't have many plot as you just follow tamako and her friends doing stuff at school or participating in stuff like festivals, so it becomes your usual slice of life anime it does however keeps a good pacing and character development because the story follows a small group of characters so that there is enough things to tell about. and their interaction are enjoyable to follow.

Animation 8/10 : The animation is very bright and colorful it's what you would expect of an KyoAni show, the character designs are very cute / moe wich suits the story and was enjoyable to watch

Sound 9/10: This show sound/music was amazing the OP and ED were both very enjoyable (my personal fav is the ED) and as for the other sounds in the show they were very cheerful and used very well in the show,  As for voice characters they did a great job I couldn't regonize them but still the voices matched the characters.

Characters 8.5/10: The characters are easy to relate to. And the conversations between them are very good, the bird (dela) is really funny with his lack of knowledge this show is mostly about the characters interactions with each other and was done very good I loved all of them and the charachters made the show what it is you will most likely feel some attachment to them.

Overall 8/10: This show is cute colorful has a great cast of characters and the sound is amazing, altough this isn't everybody's favorite since not everybody likes all these "moe" shows. I couldn't really find anything the show did wrong execpt for the lack of plot but that's usally something in Slice of Life anime. Other than that I can't think of anything why someone wouldn't like this show. So if you enjoy watching slice of life shows you'll most like love this one.

Thank you for reading my review :) If you have anything to discuss got any tips or just want to chat send me a message and I'll reply

Goodbye,
Bestanimeserie

6.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
snivets's avatar By snivets on Mar 27, 2013

This is a very typical KyoAni piece. It is light and enjoyable, fairly average with just enough quirks (aka talking bird) to be interesting. The premise is completely silly, and if you take it seriously, you are doing it wrong. Haters gonna hate, but there's really nothing bad about Tamako Market. Recommended for K-On! fans, and fans of other light slice-of-lifes.

7.7/10 overall
goodycandy741's avatar By goodycandy741 on Mar 30, 2013

Tamako Market follows Kitashirakawa Tamako as she lives out her daily life in the Usagiyama Shopping District with the sudden intrusion of a talking bird named Dera, who brings about a flurry of unusual, interesting activities. An adorable story with lovable characters is truly what sums up this anime. This is a typical Kyoto Animation anime and I loved it with all my heart. (Well, I loved it with enough of my heart to give it four stars...)

Story: 15/20 To be honest, the plot was probably the weakest part of this anime and that's still saying something because it's pretty good. The plot that was introduced in the first episode (Dera, who came from a faraway island in the south, ends up in Japan as he searches for a bride for his young prince) was buried under several other plots throughout this anime until the final episode, where it resurfaced and was like "Hola, bitches~ You forgot about me." Of course, there were numerous reminders about the fact that that's the main plot every few episodes, but that still didn't stop me from forgetting about it. One thing I particularly love about the story is that it seems very light-hearted at a glance, but if one digs deep enough or simply looks a bit further into it, one will realize that it there are many underlying feelings. (Details in Character section.)

Animation: 9.5/10 Tamako Market's animation is exactly what I'd expect from KyoAni. It's smooth, bright, and has an extra touch of "kawaii-ness" (aka "moe")! It really suits the plot and characters of this anime. I won't forget to mention that it's close to being flawless! This animation is without a doubt one of the best of Winter 2013.

Tamako Market Ending - Neguse

Sound: 8/10 Suitable openings and endings are a must for me and Tamako Market met both of those requirements. The opening drew me in with the vivid-coloring and bright, peppy emotion within the voice. It's perfect for an anime like Tamako Market! As for the ending, I believe it represents the more mellow, melancholy aspects of the story and certain characters' emotions. They're both very wonderful. The voice-actors did a fantastic job! (I can't believe Daisuke Ono voiced Kaoru. It shattered my image of him being a 100% ikemen, but my respect for him has grown tremendously.)

Characters: 9.5/10 I strongly feel that the characters are what make this anime as great as it is. The plot is basically built on layers and layers of characters' bonds with each other. KyoAni excels at creating character bonds, and this time they really went all out and magnified the bond of the Usagiyama Shopping District as a whole. Every character contributes something to the district and when one person suffered, everyone suffered in some kind of way. That was truly amazing and it was something I've never seen accomplished so well before. Every character has unique, memorable traits and quirks that make me it quite easy for me to love all of them. (I can easily name an odd trait or two about each character on the spot, but that'd take up too much room. It's rare for me to remember the name of every single character in an anime, but it happened with this one!) I could go on and on for days about the characters of this anime, but I'm sure you guys wouldn't like that. I'll just settle with saying that the characters are easy to relate to, fairly realistic, and will make you feel some kind of an emotional attachment, one way or another.

Overall: 8.2/10 This may truly be my favorite anime of Winter 2013 because it's so cute, light-hearted yet emotionally stirring, and fun to watch. I didn't have a moment of tedium in the 12 episodes of Tamako Market! If you're looking for a sweet, slice-of-life anime, you may want to look into adding this to your to-watch list. Looking for sci-fi/action? It'd probably be best for you to stay away because you're definitely looking in the wrong place!

7.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.5/10 characters
8.2/10 overall
RingoStarr1991's avatar By RingoStarr1991 on Mar 30, 2013

***This is a spoiler free review***

Straight from my blog!

In our world today, most people turn to anime for over the top action or thought provoking thrillers (Dragon Ball Z, Death Note, Naruto, ext.) but there is something that anime has brought that most people glaze over. Aria was one of the first anime I experienced as a child and while it contained a very slow paced plot (since it was a slice of life), it literally made my day watching it. It contained characters and music that were so in synch it made it such a unique watch. Years later we have Tamako Market which in a lot of ways mirrors what I loved about Aria.

Story: 6.5/10

In a slice of life anime, it is hard to get a large amount of appeal unless they rely on moe type stuff to get a large viewer base. While Tamako Market does have some moe elements, it is the very spot on pacing and character development in which Tamako Market in my honest opinion becomes a spiritual successor to Aria. Both shows follow a small cast of characters on their daily routines while also taking place in a seemingly conflict free world in which they are free to do whatever they fancy. Both shows also bring out the question, “What do I want to do in life?” Both Aria and Tamako realize by the end of the show what and where is their true calling. Since all the show does is follow the main characters, you might think it would get boring real fast. Well you are wrong on that front because the character interactions are all funny and/or engaging. The character Dela who is a bird who talks usually steals the spotlight in the scenes he takes place in since he is usually both the starter and resolver of conflicts due to his all mighty personality. The anime does rely on some gag type comedy but nothing is overused beyond their usage. One recurring gag is when someone sneezes on Dela, he takes it as an act of courting since it is such an action in his home country. The plot does start out a little slow in the beginning but the show steadily brings in new elements to add towards the final episode. While it isn’t the most thought provoking plot, you will still hopefully enjoy the interactions between the characters.

Animation: 7/10

The animation is a little lacking but by no means horrible. The colors are on the plain side but in terms of the actual animation the show does a really good job of keeping a smooth frame rate especially on the scenes where there are objects in motion. Character models are nice throughout the entire season; nothing really else to add.

Sound: 9.7/10

So I happen to be very much into acoustic qualities and how it affects film. A lot of people do not understand how an amazing score/soundtrack can really make something shine. Visuals are important but it is the sound that makes your chest shake during an explosion or the emotions you feel when a character is crying and the voice actor is doing a great job expressing the in-film character’s emotions. In the case of Tamako Market it happens to all of these things but the music takes the main prize. The music used in this show is light, cheerful, and used perfectly in all the scenes. The opening song is also amazing as it is catchy and has great instrumentation. The soundtrack is so good that I plan on buying the OST when it comes out.

Characters: 9.5/10

Slice of life shows HAVE to have a good cast or it goes to sh!%. Unless you have a show like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that has a character for literally every possible situation, your limited size cast has to provide scenes that are pleasing to the audience. In my honestly opinion, I think that the characters of Tamako Market did an astounding job providing thirteen funny and enjoying episodes of goodness. All four high school students (plus the bird Dela) do an excellent job interacting with each other in both mundane and unique ways. The scenes where Mochizou and Tamako talk to each other from their rooms using the two cups connected by a string reminds me of my youth when that seemed like the cool thing to do. The interactions between Mochizou and Midori were interesting to watch since Midori is overprotective of Tamako and Mochizou is so fu#$ing clueless about girls. The star Dela really brought the show together with his personality and lack of knowledge. I don’t want to sound fanboyish but I am having a hard time trying to find anything wrong with the cast. I am pretty sure that anyone who watches this show will enjoy the characters.

Overall: 8.2/10

This show is not going to appeal to everyone. Many people including myself are getting fed up with the anime industry’s push for more and more slice of life anime with a heavy emphasis on moe. It seems as if studios are becoming more reserved on making a new amazing action adventure or thriller type anime. When Fate/Zero came out it was a breath of fresh air because it was awesome, fresh, new. I want more anime that takes risks BUT in the mists of all the moe crap going on currently, something arose from the garbage and gave me something to look forward to each week. Tamako Market is the rainy day anime of the 2000’s. With an amazing soundtrack and cast, I honestly cannot think of any reasons why someone might not like this show. Don’t go into it thinking it is going to wow you with emotions and actions; just sit back, relax, and watch some youngsters live out their life. You might even laugh along the way.

Enjoyment: 9.5/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

6.5/10 story
9.7/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
8.2/10 overall
cuteniao's avatar By cuteniao on Mar 23, 2013

(watched up to latest episode, episode 11)

just my own thoughts:

I really love this anime. It's got beautiful animation, beautiful characters, beautiful music, and a beautiful story. I assure you, it's made me cry and laugh more than once. The characters are absolutely adorable in both looks and actions, but they also have really relatable feelings that you might not find in other anime.

Tamako Market is really unique and quirky. I'm in love with practically all of the characters. I couldn't stop watching this and I watched all up to epsisode 11 in one sitting. The characters and atmosphere really, truly make you feel comfortable. This anime gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling with its down to earth-ness. It's truly a comfort anime and makes me feel so peaceful and happy. I've never felt bored with this anime; it's always been interesting!

There is a huge twist near the end. Also, the episode cliff hangers are great...haha. The characters are always doing something interesting and fun, so you really fall in love with them *w*. The relationships between characters are realistic and believable.

Kyoto Animation is excellent as always, and the music is beautiful (see the anime's ending; gorgeous, right? uou) Though I don't think Tamako Market is the BEST anime, I think it's certainly the BEST slice of life anime I've seen yet. I usually don't watch slife of life anime and tend to lean more towards science fiction anime, but Tamako Market is one slice of life anime that is just too beautiful to pass up.

Tamako Market is hilarious, beautiful, and emotional. It's extremely lovely, and I recommend watching it!

cheers!! uwu