Sword Art Online

Meekish's avatar By Meekish on Jul 2, 2013

I was totally okay with this anime during the first half. I was genuinely refreshed that the main female lead wasn't a dumb bimbo in distress. I wasn't like, "omg best anime ever" but it was a watchable anime and I planned on finishing it with no hard feelings.

But holy hell did they ruin that fast.

Literally, over the course of 1.5 episodes the entire series was COMPLETELY ruined for me.

Firstly, the first half ended SO abrubtly. Like literally, the worst boss fight ever. It was more interesting to watch Klein learn how to kill a pig in the first few episodes.

At this point I'm like, "Alright... shitty ending to the first half but maybe they'll redeem themselves in the next half."

Nope.

As soon as Kirito's sister/cousin came into the picture I KNEW I was going to hate the rest of this anime. "uuguu~, onii-chan has feelings for this girl, why can't he see me like that?"

UM. BECAUSE YOU WERE RAISED AS HIS FUCKING SISTER AND YOU'RE STILL RELATED.

I was 100% disgusted and 110% done with the anime at this point.

I decided to drop it before it sunk itself any further.

4.5/10 overall
Pratisalva's avatar By Pratisalva on Aug 10, 2014

Ah yes, this is the first anime that introduced to me to a new genre. Its as if it was created for us Online Gamers and Anime Watcher. We know too well why we play online games and we know very well why we watch this kind of thing.

The story line is perfectly good, no twist no cliff hangers. It just gives you what you'll expect. The animation is also nice, thou some magic would be nice for the first game nonetheless its still superb. Sound from OST to all Soundtracks is perfect for the anime. Characters are overall simple but what makes it great is that they all have different story lines and purpose. Overall this anime is a must watch and recommended for those who haven't watached it yet.

CharacterClover's avatar By CharacterClover on Aug 30, 2012

10 out of 10:

Its hard to put into words how awesome this anime is (and many will disagree with me). The basic plot is that the players of a game in the future are locked into the game without a way to get out, without dying, they have to beat all 100 levels of the main game.

I really love the unique-ness of this story, its different from the normal generic shounen you see about fighting and something or other, with the loads of fillers episodes they get.

Animation:

7 out of 10:

I'm giving the animation a 7 instead of a 9 or a 10 because the animation isn't great, but nor is it horrible.

Sound:

9 out of 10:

The voices to this anime are really good, none of them are monotone or so bad I could do better, they're really good. They fit with the characters, and blend and change like a pro.

10 out of 10:

I really love the characters in this anime, kirito who is a lone solo fighter who has no friends, slowly and gradually adds to his friends, adding and making his character better. The deaths and the happiness all impact heavily on how his character changes, and how the other characters changes. I seriously think its some of the best character development for so many wide-spread characters.

Overall:

10 out of 10:

I really would recommend at least giving this anime a try, if it isn't your cup of tea, it isn't your cup of tea, thats your opinion, but I personally think its one of the best animes this year, and this season. : )

LuniaAngel's avatar By LuniaAngel on Jul 28, 2013

I'd heard a lot of people talking about this anime and how they liked it so i decided to give it a try. I really enjoyed watching it and seeing Asuna and Kirito grow closer and found it sweet when Yui came in but....i felt less satisfied with how it came to be when in got into the storyline of Alfheim (is that what it was called?) the realtionship between his cousin was okay at first but the way they ended it made it seem like he didn't care for Asuna as much as he did at first. well that's just what i interpertated from the ending not what others may feel from it. It was still a good anime in the end though.

Jageri's avatar By Jageri on Aug 23, 2012

This show has gotten some well-deserved hype, because it certainly looks great, and the soundtrack is nice. On top of that, it has a premise that in the beginning, looks very very interesting.

Where this show falls down for me is that the plot is completely and utterly inconsequential.

The problem is that the show tries to head with an episodic format, while not realizing that in many successful episodic shows such as Nichijou or Working!!, the plot of each episode is removed from the others, but they focus on one group of characters.

In Sword Art Online, we see the adventures of Kirito, boy forced into a death game, ala .hack, only he isn't alone here, 9999 other players are trapped with him.  The thing is, the story has never focused on Kirito. Each episode, without fail, they introduce a new character we have not seen before, with their own story, and rest assured, you will likely never see them again after that episode.

Even with this format, I thought the show could have worked if it had focused on Kirito, but the show changes focus to the new person and characterizes them for an episode before they drop off the face of the earth.

In all, the only reccuring characters are cardboard cutouts, and all other characters have no consequence beyond their episode.

Although I feel a show does not have to have a good story to engage me, this show focuses entirely on the story, badly told, rather than on other aspects, like action.  By the last episode I watched at time of writing, the action scenes had been pared down to about 20 seconds per episode.

To sum up, The show has terrible storytelling, excellent visuals, almost no action, and completely unrelateable characters. Watch it for the pretty visuals and decent soundtrack, then forget about this empty show.