Suki-tte Ii na yo.

Alt titles: Say "I love you".

anime99's avatar By anime99 on Nov 1, 2014

This anime was amazing. It is perfect for you if you love romatic animes.

The excellent storyline and everything about it is just amazing. Whoever is reading this all i have to say is that

You really really really need to watch it aha; its absolutely jawgripping :)

athenawolf101's avatar By athenawolf101 on Jul 21, 2014

Say "I Love You" or Suki-tte li na yo is totally recommended if you are a romance anime junkie. However it's not as cliche as it seems to be. I have been wanting to watch this anime for awhile, and while I had a friend over, I decided why the heck not. My friend fell in love with this anime and the charcters. The story doesn't twist too much to the point where you want to rip you're hair out. (one of those animes is Kimi ni Todoke, another review for that anime later.) The anime wraps up the story nicely and although short episode wise, it's pretty long story wise. Say "I Love You" had a certain touch to it that made it slightly realistic, and not too boring, or dragging you along. However, I will say, Tachibana Mei is a Mary-Sue. Some may not agree but I think everything was going a little too perfect for her throughout the story. Every girl is entitled to their own fairytale. However, if I see this with my own 2 eyes, with real people, I shall change my opinion

The animation was great, not too scribbly, but it was cutsie! Love the style!

When I say sound, I mean voice actors. I don't agree with some of the voice actors, like Takahiro Sakurai as Yamato. Never watched the dub and never will. I loved the sub, and sometimes dub ruins it slightly.

The charcters had their great points, but I felt like they all fell through with mei eventually, and it wa sa bit quick. Like Aiko Mutō, it took one, 2 episdoes? and then it was all good with Mei. I thought that went alittle too fast, maybe they could have put that as alittle side thing instead of for example the cookie baking. But that's my opinion. I'm no animator.

Overall I give this anime a 9.2, I'd hate to give it a perfect score because it is such a realistic anime, no fairy wands or wishes that make it perfect.

If you read this whole thing, kudos to you! If you think I was wrong? Want to discuss a point? Leave me a comment!

9.2/10 overall
Otaku108's avatar By Otaku108 on Dec 12, 2014

Moral of the story; no one is without their scars, I think? Well, it's a very endearing love story too.

A wonderfully paced romance with speckling of comedy but a bit too much drama for my tastes. Which probably means if you're into romance dramas with a little comedy relief you're probably going to love this one. My only real problem with it was the final episode, just felt very forced and almost seemed more of a stumble at the end of a wonderful run. Personal opinion aside, it wasn't anything bad just how they did it which irked me.

Animation:

Definitely a well drawn and "true to life" style that I'm mostly a fan of. The characters had a definite uniqueness despite the myriad of browns and black hair with bishi faces. Bonus points for not using primary colors for hair.

Sound:

It had a decent musical score, both the OP and ED were themed well with the tone of the show. None of the voices were screechy or over the top 'cutesy' if you follow my meaning. Did a fine job of keeping the flow of the show going.

For a single season complete story show the amount of characters and the depth into which they go for most of them was impressive. I enjoyed every one of the characters, even the ones you were supposed to dislike. You really felt for most of them and understood their motivations, most of the time (final episode kinda lost me a bit :P). Character progression varried, even with the two main protagonists. This show definitely did something well here.

Overall:

Though I may make it sound to be a big deal, the final episode isn't really bad, I just had a personal taste difference of opinion with how they tied up the show... down to the last possible second. All in all, a show like this doesn't come along very often, well worth the watch, I'd even go so far as to say it's a must see for any romance enthusiast.

snivets's avatar By snivets on Dec 30, 2012

Suki-tte Ii na Yo is a very simple shoujo anime with a mellow and realistic setting. A lot of people compare it to Kimi ni Todoke because of the very similar premise for both shows, but by the end, I felt that KnT took an entirely different direction, focusing on the chase, rather than the post-formation relationship dynamics. Also the side characters are completely different and make the atmosphere completely different, but I digress.

Story:  A basic story about a shy, plain girl with no friends, Mei, and a popular boy, Yamato, who fall in love with each other, Suki-tte Ii na Yo has a very character-driven, slow moving plot. Like all stories with a romance at their center, the plot consists mainly of various challenges that appear and cause the characters to change. Most of the challenges to Mei and Yamato's relationship come from within (their personalities, their needs, their past traumas) rather than from without, although there are the token rivals who bump into them and direct the plot for a few episodes.

This story excels is its simplicity. It doesn't focus on "the chase" part of budding relationships as is more common in shoujo anime. Instead, it depicts two high schoolers who are very much in love with each other and shows them learning to negotiate the newness of their relationship, as well as learning to communicate their feelings and expectations for each other. It also contains a fairly small cast of side characters, who similarly develop through their interactions with each other.

It also excels is its realism. Touching oh-so-lightly on societal issues like teenage romance and sex, the dieting and weight issues that go along with self-image and self-conciousness of young women, and a little more heavily on issues of bullying, celebrities dealing with the internet hate machine, and stalking, I thought that the show really gave a good depiction of how tough life as a normal (or not-so-normal) teenager can actually be. Because of this, it set itself apart from the sparkly, everything-is-ok atmospheres that are more typical of shoujo anime.

Characters: What really detracted from the potentially great thematic depth in the plot was the weakness of the characters. Too many of them were too one-dimensional; Megumi was too easy to dislike for her selfishness and Yamato too perfect to really believe: I kept waiting for a flaw of his to be revealed. Obviously the averageness of the other characters served the realism of the show, but at the same time I never really felt that I related strongly to any of them.

Overall, I think this show is quietly good, but it still has a few too many flaws in its characters for me to be able to unreservedly give it above a 7. Still a good watch for shoujo fans, and potentially a good pick for anyone who feels "meh" about shoujo because it's usually so unrealistic.

Demelza's avatar By Demelza on Dec 31, 2012

As far as love stories go, it's often very hard to come across one which feels real and that a viewer can actually relate to, I find this even harder in anime. That said, Say I Love You does a surprisingly good job at being a down to earth, relatable, love story, and that's really what made it the best in a season full of romantic series.

We're introduced to Mei, a shy high school student who keeps to herself and doesn't really have any friends, let alone having a boyfriend. Then we have our lead, Yamato. Yamato is the most popular guy in the whole school and could have any girl he wanted as a girlfriend, however, our star falls for shy Mei after a certain incident has the two bump into two each other. The feelings go both ways and within a couple of episodes Mei realises that she two has fallen for the charms of Yamato and really likes him. This is one of the better aspects of the series, because only the first couple of episodes are spent on Yamato and Mei realising how the feel, while the rest are far more focused on the trails and troubles a young couple run into, of which there are many. It's quite hard for Mei to get used to Yamato's attention and often wonders why he'd fall for a girl like her when there are far prettier girls in the school, the show also has Mei make friends with a couple of other girls and does a good job of showcasing the fears one has when being around people they'd consider friends for the first time. Mei has to learn that her friends are there for her and that she can trust and lean on them when needs be, all of which is taught in a respectable way and I feel like the show couldn't really have done better at it. This isn't to say Yamato doesn't have troubles of his own, because he does, and while you can start out seeing him as somewhat of a jerk, once you learn about his past you quickly realise you may have judged too quickly and too harshly on Yamato for all that he's been through.

However the show doesn't drag out the inner feelings and fears Mei and Yamato have for nothing, about halfway through it introduces new characters just to bring out these feelings and for us to watch how Mei and Yamato are going to deal with it. One of these characters is Megumi, a really popular model who transfers to Mei and Yamato's high school and quickly makes it clear that she has feelings for Yamato. This arc of the anime does a very good job of showcasing how a young teenage girl like Mei could deal with being jealous, but to a point it also begins to focus on bulling as the story goes on and begins to focus on Megumi, which is a nice change and also hits home how real the anime feels with its plot. Maybe that's what so refreshing about Say I Love You, the fact that it doesn't sugarcoat anything or throw in needless comedy to soften the blow, it takes itself seriously and shows you everything hoping that you will accept it that way, which is really the best thing it could have done. Mei feels very much like a real teenage girl facing the fears and feelings that a lot of us will face nowadays and it's refreshing to see such a character that can easily be relatable to by modern day girls. Yamato feels a little less real to begin with, purely because he acts like a jerk (much more so than in the manga of which the anime is based off of), but by the end of the series you can happily accept him too.

In terms of animation the series gets it just right, nothing is too flashy, and everything feels down to earth and fitting for such a series. It isn't to say the animation is bad, because it isn't, it's more so that it doesn't go out of its way to be needlessly flashy and impress, settling to be quietly impressive in what it actually does. Character designs aren't all that flashy either, Mei has a simple but cute design, while Yamato and Megumi are both made to look like they would be the popular kids, but there designs aren't made over the top either and again everything seems to slot together nicely.

Where music comes into it the opening theme is very slow and pretty, quite fitting for the series, the ending theme is a bit more up-beat and slightly less fitting for a slow love story, but in the end that doesn't feels too much out of place where it'll spoil anything. The overall soundtrack for the series doesn't stand out too much, with nice piano pieces here and there just to add to the moment, but never being the centre of attention. The music here isn't there to stand out, more to blend into the background and help the scenes as much as it can, which is does mostly flawlessly. You likely won't be remembering it for years to come, but that isn't to say it hasn't worked well for the series.

Say I Love You ends pretty fittingly for its characters and plot. The manga is still on-going and thus more could be added to the anime if they wished to do so, but the series was ended in such a way where you can want more, but also be perfectly happy with what has already been done with the series. The series is a pretty perfect down to earth love story, the likes of which haven't been seen in anime for a couple of years now, and it's always refreshing to see something that didn't need comedy or flashy moments to be a really special show for the viewer.

8.5/10 animation