Strawberry Marshmallow

Alt title: Ichigo Mashimaro

SPITZtheGOD's avatar By on May 25, 2016

It wasn't a bad anime, but there really isn't much payoff here. I'll start by saying that I didn't hate or dislike this anime, but it doesn't really stand out. Its a slice of life with little to no story. Characters, well, there is one I like and 1 that is OK I guess. But that's 2/5 characters (I rarely remember names so I'll say I liked the older sister, and the ADHD one was OK). The other 3 kinda come across as 2 dimensional. The music isnt very memorable. The voices are OK(dub), dont really have any complaints there.

Strawberry marshmallow make frequent use of prolonged silence, which when used correctly, can be comedy gold. That is not the case here.  It ends up being somewhat boring with minor chuckles here and there. Animation was fine but again, didn't go out of its way to impress me.

I'm right on the borderline in deciding whether or not liked the anime. But I did enjoy it, if that makes sense.

Was going to give 5/10 but I decided to give it 6 because I thought that it was more good than it was bad. I'd save this anime to watch for when you run out of other anime to watch or you have little kids around to watch it.

zephyrre's avatar By on Oct 2, 2015

I used to wonder hw much sqeaky-voice, moe cuteness was too much. Now I know. Also seeing that one girl smoking inside her house, even in an anime, makes me sick to my stomach. I mean come on: this is a kids show, what are you trying to teach you audience? "Cancer is cool"? "Your teeth are supposed to be yellow"? "Being able to breathe is for losers"? "You're supposed to sound like a bullfrog with bronchitis when you get older"? I thought this show came out in 2005, not 1955. Having characters who smoke in your show is one thing, but being totally cool with some girl smoking inside a house that has little kids living in it is something else.

KeiNiwa's avatar By on Dec 24, 2014

Secret Santa Review: Strawberry Marshmallow (Ichigo Mashimaro)

[May contain spoilers]

So, Christmas is just around the corner, so I finally manage to finish this series. If I were to conclude the anime in one sentence, it's all about "cute girls doing cute things in a cute way" ~ XDD

Story: 8 / 10

There are some parts where the punchline went in really well. Especially the part where Miu often got punished due to her mischievous act. Miu laying down on the ground instantly after she caused trouble to the other girls is the part I always look forward to see during the whole course of anime.

The story is also beautifully arranged according to 4 seasons, starting with Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and back to Spring again. Though the allocation of episodes for Fall and Winter may seem short, but they shown pretty well the typical things that people do during the season change course. XDD

Animation: 6 / 10

I'm alright with moe, but the design seems to be too simple. But at least the nice scene backgrounds make up for the flaw. X3

Sound: 6 / 10

The OP and ED theme is OK, but not catchy enough to be remembered easily. But somehow, they rarely use background music at times, probably to signify the anime is something about a normal daily life. The technique is also applied to another anime, Non Non Biyori, where background music are rarely used to emphasize the feel of living in a rural area.

Characters: 8 / 10

Here's my favourite part. Each of the main characters are made up of several personalities. Nobue is an adult, a chain-smoker as well who felt like to be young again. For the kids, Chika is the most mature among the four kids. Matsuri's a klutz who can't seem to do things right. Ana is a foreign transfer student who tried her best to hide the fact that she's good in Japanese. While the biggest laughing stock in the series, Miu, an energetic mischievous kid who often cause trouble and pull pranks among them. XDD

Another unexpected character to get an honor mention would be Sasazuka. No matter what he do, be it good or bad and even when he didn't do anything, he will always end up standing at the hall outside the class, all the time. XDD

Overall: 7 / 10

To conclude, this series is a good stress-releaser as it provides some good laughter. Get ready to enjoy the mischievous antics of Miu as well as the instant punchlines throughout the whole series. Personally, I recommend that this series blends well when you are watching it on Christmas, and I'm lucky to get this as one of my choice for the Secret Santa challenge. ^^

(Sorry if my review may sound too naive, I rarely do reviews on anime ^^")

tabithamc's avatar By on Apr 8, 2012

This series is perfect because no matter what season you're in, there's an episode (or several, actually) for it.  There's really no plot here.  However, I will say that no other series has ever made me feel so nostalgic.  You'll enjoy watching the children and relating their life experiences and friendships to those you may have known when you were young.  This anime is lighthearted and silly.  The character Miu really keeps things hilarious.  She is adorable! The music on this series is silly and childish at times and heartbreakingly beautiful at times (particularly the ending theme, "Classmate"). I like to watch this series in spring especially with the windows open and a breeze blowing in.

Doggiedoodle's avatar By on Dec 27, 2011

To be honest, I strongly disklike Moe characters and lolicons. In my opinion, an anime can live and prosper without it. However, in a few cases, it is rare that moe actually works in an anime. This is why I'm reviewing Ichigo Mashimaro. The premise of the show is that a twenty-one-year-old college student named Nobue lives with her younger sister Chika in the same house. Nobue is a smoker, and often asks for money from her younger sister. They live next door to their obnoxious friend Miu, who is mostly used for comic relief in the show. Anyway, two more girls are involved in the plot: Matsuri, a shy girl with glasses, and Ana, a wealthy girl from Cornswall, England. She is fluent in Japanese, however, she does not want to throw her English heritage down the gutter, and feigns on not knowing Japanese. Matsuri and Ana are also often the center of Nobue's lolicon craves. Often when they are involved, Miu would get jealous and would often try to get Nobue's attention. However, the plot isn't really that grand, and would typically seem that it is just another of your common slice-of life animes. And thus, for story, I give it an 8/10.

For the animation, it isn't groundbreaking, and is  standard. However, I must say that the animation does help to provide a cutesy feel to the show. The characters all look rather adorable, and the scenery's also pretty well drawn. For animation I give it a 7/10.

For starters, the sounds are pleasant. My favorite types of sounds is the music itself. I absolutely fell in love with the opening theme and it is also rather hard to get it out of your head. And also look up the characters' image songs, they are pretty decent. I give the sound 9/10.

Now for the characters. I have absolutely no hateful comments for any of the characters. Everyone, except for Miu. Have you ever had a friend whom you considered annoying and you don't really want to hang out with, but unfortunately you do anyway? Miu would be that friend. While being cute, she was annoying, and never knew when to shut up. She acts like a jerkass to her other friends, and was just plain stupid. The most despicable thing she did was to try to break Matsuri's belief in Santa by telling her that he didn't exist, and she also made fun of Ana's named Coppola. I mean what a b***ch! Another one of my least favorite characters is the teacher that kept telling Suzaku to go out into the hall, even though he wasn't doing anything wrong in the first place. I was happy that he finally went into the hall instead. So I love every character except these two. Therefore I give the characters 8/10.

Overall, Strawberry Marshmallow is a very out going moe anime. It has great characters, great comedy, great music, and lastly heart. I absolutely recommend it to anyone as their first anime, or if you just love moe. Some episodes are on YouTube. So if you're searching for an anime to watch, please type this in. I assure you that you will not regret it! 8/10!