Strawberry Marshmallow

Alt title: Ichigo Mashimaro

In Slice-of -life animes, the plot is not as critical and is more dependent on comedy instead of leaving the audience on the edge of their seats. So it may seem that the plot is non-existant in Strawberry Marshmallow, but it doesnt need a big and grand plot to be good, it needs great humor, which Strawberry Marshmallow is not short on at all. There were some instances when I just cracked up laughing at the antics of all the girls. Most of the jokes were quite funny. Also the stories in each individual episode portrayed simple things which can be a welcome change to plot driven animes as opposed to humor and character driven animes like Strawberry Marshmallow is.

Not a whole to to piss and moan about in Strawberry Marshmallow's animation. I found it to be well drawn and had a flowing feeling to it. There were a couple of instances where the background seemed static, but that is mostly not noticable. The designs of the characters were well suited for the personalities of each individual characters, and I found them to be quite original.

There is not much to say about the characters except that they were amazing. With slice of life animes being more humor and character driven, they cannot get away with having a mediocre cast of characters, but Strawberry Marshmallow has a great cast of characters, even the few minor characters. Mui was annoying, but she was a neccasary type of annoying, which set up many of Strawberry Marshmallow's good jokes. Ana was an interesting character, being that she is English yet she has forgotten how to speak english. Chika is a normal girl who often plays the straight man to Mui's out of control attitude. Matsuri was a cute and kind character who made the show much more interesting with her presense and her character drove the story of my favorite episode, which was the last one. I liked Nobue's character. She's so cool that she doesnt mind hanging out with her little sister and her friends, and actually enjoys it. As much as I despise smoking, it was a something that fit Nobue's character more convincing. As for pretty much the only minor character was the little boy sitting behind Matsuri in class, who was always sent to the hall for stupid, and quite hilarious reasons, and it made me laugh every time.

This anime was great. The characters and humor drove the stories along nicely, and provided me with some good laughs. I would recomend this anime highly. This one is definatly worth your time to watch.

9.5/10 story

This one I found to be quite hilarious! There is no limit to how many times i can watch episode 6 in the second half of the episode. DEATH CATS!!!!!

Nobue was my favourite character. Probably cause she's the oldest and just really wants to be a kid again. The smoking aspect of her I really enjoyed even though I hate smoking. I think it just made her her to me and it fitted the character perfectly.

Miu was the most annoying character but still had her moments. She was made out to be the annoying one for a reason and fitted the role perfectly. I wouldn't have had her any other way!

I would re watch this anime again anytime. I laughed a lot while watching this one. I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the best comedy series out there. Way better than that over rated Azumanga Daioh. :P If anything I wish there were more episodes of this. If anything should be getting a second season it should be this! The little ova's just don't cut it. I could watch these characters get into countless adventures and be happy for life.

This show, despite it's cute demeanor has a dry wit about it that makes it so fun to watch. It even talks about popular american bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Since once again, this show has no plot, I will have to talk about the characters. However, in this anime, there are only five main characters, so I can name all of them. Main character, Chika Ito is probably the most mature out of all the girls, mostly acting as a foil for the other character's antics. Not much else to say about her, even her older sister thinks there isn't much to say about her. Speaking of, Nobue Ito, the oldest at 16 or 20 depending on whether you are reading the manga or watching the anime. She's a the babysitter, but at the same time, she should not be allowed anywhere near children. She drinks, smokes, and seems to have an eye for moe, so she tries to exploit the cuter characters. The only thing she does that is anywhere near positive is beating Miu Matsuoka when she goes out of line. As she is wild and infinitely annoying, she pesters everyone around her to play with her and call her awesome. At many times, she is shown doing something really stupid, then in the next frame, lying face down on the floor, implying that she was smacked down by Nobue. Mostly she picks on the weakest of the group, Matsuri Sakuragi. She bugs me because of all the parallels you can draw from her to me, despite our differing personalities: when this anime came out she was the exact same age as me, we sing the same (i guess), she has a ferret with the same name as me, etc. She's weak and shy and easily exploited by Miu or Nobue. Not much else to say, except she's close friends with the british girl, Ana Copola. Ana cannot speak english, but because she wants to be seen as a foreigner, claims she cannot speak japanese and is a proper British girl. She's not, she loves bread and miso soup and is so assimilated into japan that it's almost painful to watch her try and bluff her way into claiming that she's foreign.

The art isn't anything special in the first season, it gets better with the following seasons, but the main 12 episodes look kinda simple. It gets the job done, but you feel like it could have done it better.

Music, is cute and bubbly or calm and nostalgic. The BGM isn't noticeable, but the ending theme makes you feel sad that you aren't that young anymore. But the opening is always bright and cheerful to get you going for the show, not like you need to be worked up for it, kinda going for the hidamari sketch approach on this one. Both dub casts aren't big name nor are they bad. The english dub is about the same as the japanese one. So either way you win. But I just love the english dub for having Ana complain how she can't speak English, while speaking perfect english.

Once again, it's slow, and not as easily excepted as sketchbook. It's hard to hate, but if you can't handle much cuteness then you might pass out pretty quickly. Also, Miu is a bit too over powering in a cast of shy or mature girls, seeing as she's the only one who is bursting with energy.

This one would probably be further down on the list, but really, it's like chibi-azumanga, sure, the new flavor might not be good on everybody's pallet, but if you can handle it, it will sure get you a bunch of laughs.

It wasn't a bad anime, but there really isn't much payoff here. I'll start by saying that I didn't hate or dislike this anime, but it doesn't really stand out. Its a slice of life with little to no story. Characters, well, there is one I like and 1 that is OK I guess. But that's 2/5 characters (I rarely remember names so I'll say I liked the older sister, and the ADHD one was OK). The other 3 kinda come across as 2 dimensional. The music isnt very memorable. The voices are OK(dub), dont really have any complaints there.

Strawberry marshmallow make frequent use of prolonged silence, which when used correctly, can be comedy gold. That is not the case here.  It ends up being somewhat boring with minor chuckles here and there. Animation was fine but again, didn't go out of its way to impress me.

I'm right on the borderline in deciding whether or not liked the anime. But I did enjoy it, if that makes sense.

Was going to give 5/10 but I decided to give it 6 because I thought that it was more good than it was bad. I'd save this anime to watch for when you run out of other anime to watch or you have little kids around to watch it.

I used to wonder hw much sqeaky-voice, moe cuteness was too much. Now I know. Also seeing that one girl smoking inside her house, even in an anime, makes me sick to my stomach. I mean come on: this is a kids show, what are you trying to teach you audience? "Cancer is cool"? "Your teeth are supposed to be yellow"? "Being able to breathe is for losers"? "You're supposed to sound like a bullfrog with bronchitis when you get older"? I thought this show came out in 2005, not 1955. Having characters who smoke in your show is one thing, but being totally cool with some girl smoking inside a house that has little kids living in it is something else.