Spirited Away

Alt titles: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi

mariprosa's avatar By mariprosa on Jan 18, 2008

Spirited Away is truly a trip into the imagination with excellent animation, a whimsical execution, and a storyline that leaves one not only liking the characters and progression of events, but also with warm emotions with the overall atmosphere.

The movie introduces a young girl named Chihiro as a sullen 11-year old who comes into town with her parents for the first time, as they're moving into a new neighborhood. When the three come across a strange tunnel, they pass into what seems like a carnival...and her parents end up becoming caught in the strange place with a curse. As a result, Chihiro must find a way to turn her parents back to normal and leave the captivity of the carnival...but not without meeting her share of witches, spirits, dragons and many other creatures to boot.

Chihiro follows Haku, a boy who orients her around this strange world, but with an identity that the movie comes to unfold in its overall progression; I believed that Chihiro and Haku's chemistry made the movie quite sweet, even endearing.

One could say that this film focuses primarily upon very abstract presentation to entertain in its overall story, from the creatures to the environment of this seemingly unstable carnival-revealing places like a machinized factory, a bath house, a dojo, a farm house, among others. Like Miyazaki's other films, it reaches into a broadened sense of imagination, appealing to an audience both young as well as mature. I wouldn't say this film is for the very young (as the odd looking creatures and events may be scary for young children, but those of maturity, even around the age that Chihiro is in the film, would be able to appreciate it. The movie also, in its progressive length, follows Chihiro with a keen eye, and yet allows the focal point to shift well in the many odd twists and turns she encounters, and you actually come to really care and connect with the characters despite the film's abbreviation.

The animation retains a rather classic style similar to other Miyazaki films such as Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, or even Nausicaa Valley of the Wind. Spirited Away, however, does well with its coloring and fluidity to make it fit right along with contemporary animation standards, just with a different style of character design and settings, the latter of which i found quite impressive in meshing together this abstract atmosphere.

One thing to keep in mind, the character designs are quite intentional, if the witch, for example, looks downright ugly, then that's a part of the emphasized environment - the character and overall designs were very consistent, and I couldn't complain in most regards.

From a musical perspective, only the settings of the BGM were really standout to me, very relaxing when the more serene and heartfelt scenes came into play, and more upbeat when the comical or intense rush of events emerged. I wouldn't say I was all too fond of the ending theme song, though it was quite nice from a lyrical standpoint.

Voice acting in both the Japanese and English perspectives were top-notch. The Japanese version had strong leads in Miyu Irino and Rumi Hiragi, as well as strong leads in the English version (Jason Marsden and Daveigh Chase) for Haku and Chihiro respectively. I think the strong voice acting really enhanced the prescence of each character, and granted that Miyazaki's stories are very character driven, it shows no lapse in quality along that regard.

The characters in Spirited Away are easy to follow and adapt to, even at the expense of brevity in which a film may allot. Miyazaki's format of storytelling allows the characters to come center stage and the journey in which they follow and come into their encounters are something the viewer can enjoy as "along for the ride". I actually think that character-wise, Spirited Away is one of Miyazaki's finest in allowing us to look into Chihiro-she's at first a rather aloof girl, overly cautious, as shown when she tries to tell her parents to go back, and also in terms of her encountering this world of variant beings with timidness. Yet, as she comes to know her surroundings, follows Haku and befriends quite a few interesting faces (including a spider-armed man who claims her as his granddaughter at first and a woman who helps her along in working for her keep), she develops an inner sense of strength that one sees even towards the film's conclusion. It feels like a coming-of-age story in an abstract format.

Secondary characters are quite as enjoyable as those that take full stage as the primary, in fact, they are what enhance the atmosphere of the overall film and it's difficult to separate them from the story as their numerous encounters revolve around the story's framework.

8.5/10 story
8.5/10 characters
leturtle's avatar By leturtle on Jan 29, 2010

This is the movie that introduced me to the world of Miyazaki, and pretty much all anime. That's reason enough, I think, to call it my favourite anime movie, but I shall go into more detail in this review.

The story is weird, imaginative and absolutely amazing. It starts off as the simple story of a little girl moving to a new neighbourhood, but things turn quite complex as her and her parents stumble upon a spirit world. The parents, after eating at the spirit's buffet, inconveniently turn into pigs and the little girl now has to work at a bath house in the hope of returning home safely. I've probably seen Spirited Away about five times and I still don't quite understand everything, but that part of what keeps me in awe whenever I watch it. And every time I do, I notice something new. It's strange, but wonderful, to see such depth and complexity in what is marketed as a family film.

The animation is also top-notch. The character and spirit designs are incredible and something only the most imaginative could think up. It varies from cute, to engaging to quite frightening.

I've only seen the english dub and, despite what seems to be the general consensus, I quite like it. Sure, Chihiro's voice grates occasionally, but the dubbing team does deserve respect for keeping the integrity of the story. Though I repeat, I have only seen the dub so I can't really compare with the Japanese version. I must say, the use of sound in the river spirit scene is brilliant.

One of the many many things that is so wonderful about this movie is that there is no clear cut good and evil. Chihiro is, obviously, good- having purely good children protagonists is a charming reccurring theme in Miyazaki's films. But the film's main antagonists Yubaba and No-Face aren't exactly evil. You really have to see the movie to understand

I highly recommend Spirited Away, it is a must-see for anyone even thinking about considering getting into anime.

Pencil24Art's avatar By Pencil24Art on Mar 30, 2010

This was the first anime I had ever watched. I was fairly young when my brother wanted to watch it, and I just can't get it out of my head. The creativity that it took is truly noteworthy. At first you would think "oh, just another kid getting lost in a weird world." Which to an extent is true but just like taking an old piece of art that no one likes anymore and making something out of it, is what was done here. the story is mind provoking and it all togeather is provocative. Parts where you hold your breath and parts where you feel safe are all included. It brings in parts of the characters past which make them all the more intresting, making you yearn for more. An intresting story for almost any age. I would recommend this to any type of anime viewer.

8.5/10 story
9.1/10 overall
SamuelBaxter's avatar By SamuelBaxter on Apr 5, 2010

An incredibly charming video, one of my favorites. My favorite thing about it is the fact that the main character actually acts like a real person (albeit extremely brave) in the absurd situation.

noname0302's avatar By noname0302 on Aug 18, 2014

Why is this the fan favorite?! Dont get me wrong. I like Spirited away, but I consider it one of the weakest from Miyakazi and Ghibli.

Ill just say, if you only watch this, because this is the most mainstream of the similar movies, dont forget, that the others are different. I consider Castle in the sky, Totoro, Kiki, Porco Rosso, Arrietty far superior compared to this.

I only wrote this so others can see that the fan favorite is not always the best. If you dont like this, dont turn away from Ghibli completely, try out the others too.

Have fun!