noname0302's avatar By on Nov 18, 2014

So much lost potential. Let me start with a little comparison. This anime is the most similar ever made to Death Note. The characters, the storylines, everything. Its not a clone, but its pretty damn close. 2 things can happen: 1. its just a third grade copy of the Big Brother 2. its actually memorable and a worthwhile watch.  This is actually clsoer to the second choice. I watched it something like 10 years ago when it aired on TV and now, when a re-watched it, it turned out that I remember basically all the sotrylines and plottwists, so it undoubtedly memorable.

Story: the small plots inside the bigegr plot are good enough, but become repetitive. The big problem is that the main plot doesnt even start. I recommend reading the manga or (like me) wikipedia is your friend. Dont get your hopes up: YOU WILL NOT FIND OUT WHO OR WHAT ARE THE BLADE CHILDREN from the anime. So much lost potential here. The ending is basically nonexistent, they messed up badly, but the small plots are actually fun to watch, so i recommend watching 1 or 2 if you have a spare hour. 7/10

Animation: A little cheap. I didnt like the style too much. The character animation is second grade at best. 6/10

Music: Probably the best feature. Pianos are a good thing, so use them! They did! Good job!

Characters: The biggest problem with them is that they all have their incredibly annoying moments. Ayumu acts like an arrogant little bastard and when he needs self confidence the most, he always loses it. Feels like these moments are just present to waste your time. The characters get the job done, the biggest problem is that even though the storylines are memorable, the characters are not. The best character is probably Hiyono. To be honest, she is the smartest of all these kids.

Overall: Death Note did it. Spiral tried. If they continued the story, or to be more precise, worked more on the main plot instead of time wasting sub-plots it would have been much better, but its not. I would still recommend it because its not bad, it has some memorable moments, but it wont glue you to the chair like DN does.  6.5/10

ShizukaTheOtaku's avatar By on Jul 11, 2015

Story: When I first started to watch this anime, I was kind of blown away by Ayumu's powers of deduction in the first episode. Of course this escalated to a chain of muders and events, each keeping me interested in trying to figure out what was going to happen next. However the ending was the biggest let down as the identity of the blade children wasn't even explained. But it seems like the manga does a good job at this, but still it seems like 24 episodes where lost in this. Also the story doesn't go into explaining a lot of things and recurrently goes about comparing Kyotaka with Ayumu when we know nothing about him. Although it wasinteresting to watch I still have far more questions then I begun with this anime.

Animation: I didn't mind this, especially since the anime is old and there isn't much you can do about it. But still I did like how the characters were portrayed and the whole atmostphere of the anime.

Sound: Yep sound is pretty much a huge factor in this anime as its a detective/mystery and seemed to go well. I loved the low notes produced when someone was caught as a culpit or the sudden dramatic music when Ayumu had to encounter another bomb. And the pianos!

Characters: Well to be honest there weren't that many characters in the anime, but the creator really gave them unique personalities which is somethibg to like. At first I disliked Ayumu's personality because he seems like he doesn't care about anything and has that tough guy attitude... but he changes and that was a highlight. Hiyono  was really nice and annoying in a cute way... and the blade children although portrayed as the villians still have a lot learn and are quite troubled.

Overall I would preferably recommend the manga over this as its not a final piece of work, and found it quite frustrating in the end.

5.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
zezebox's avatar By on Jan 3, 2015

Spend an entire night to watch through, unlike others I didn't look at anything beyond a brief summary of the anime. It caught my eye and I decided to watch it through. Got about half way through and was hoping for some plot progression, but never got any. This anime is a deadend, while the characters are interesting and the premise is a good idea. It was not well executed and the ending is abyssmal. If you thought death note had a bad ending after season 2 you are in for a shock if you watch through the whole thing.

XXOSSISXX's avatar By on Oct 25, 2010

well if you have seem my other review which  i know you havent since i only have one and plus this one it should be two, but anyways just so u know i only like judging by 1-5 5 being the highest but since this dont let me judge it by 5 hey what else can i put so as i was saying this show was really good for a anime that based its hole story using logic if you want to know what this a anime is about then let me tell you right know

Plot: the plot of this story hmm ... give me a min i am trying to remember as i seen this along time ago oh yea the main plot of this story is about a kid who uses logic to solve  the case of his missing brother .

Summary:the story starts by when the main character get accused of doing something he did not so to prove his innocent he used logic to solve the case out to prove his innocents .well i can go on but i rather you watch as it was an enjoyable anime not as good as other investigating anime but decent enough to watch this is what you would consider a battle of brains.

here is is my though of this anime this show is not a must watch but simply a anime to watch when you got nothing else to do but if you are like me and like death note as well as codegeass then you will want to watch this because watching these two anime makes you want to watch another fierce mind battle therefore i decided to watch spiral as in fact it has relevant action like light uses his mind to try to conquer the world and uses his intelligence to beat another smart guy name L as for spiral he does this but uses more logic then his mind to beat people with his mind.

Jess3579's avatar By on Nov 6, 2009

I was very optimistic about this anime to begin with. The premise is interesting, but once I got past the 4th episode I could see that the plot was going in a direction that was ultimately leading nowhere. I watch until episode 8, but I really just couldn't ever get myself in the mood to watch it again after that. The shame is, I really liked the characters. And a warning for anyone who plans on watching it...I've seen spoilers...and the anime series ends without anything being resolved. If Spiral interests you, perhaps you should read the manga rather than watch the anime?