Spiral

Alt title: Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna

noname0302's avatar By on Nov 18, 2014

So much lost potential. Let me start with a little comparison. This anime is the most similar ever made to Death Note. The characters, the storylines, everything. Its not a clone, but its pretty damn close. 2 things can happen: 1. its just a third grade copy of the Big Brother 2. its actually memorable and a worthwhile watch.  This is actually clsoer to the second choice. I watched it something like 10 years ago when it aired on TV and now, when a re-watched it, it turned out that I remember basically all the sotrylines and plottwists, so it undoubtedly memorable.

Story: the small plots inside the bigegr plot are good enough, but become repetitive. The big problem is that the main plot doesnt even start. I recommend reading the manga or (like me) wikipedia is your friend. Dont get your hopes up: YOU WILL NOT FIND OUT WHO OR WHAT ARE THE BLADE CHILDREN from the anime. So much lost potential here. The ending is basically nonexistent, they messed up badly, but the small plots are actually fun to watch, so i recommend watching 1 or 2 if you have a spare hour. 7/10

Animation: A little cheap. I didnt like the style too much. The character animation is second grade at best. 6/10

Music: Probably the best feature. Pianos are a good thing, so use them! They did! Good job!

Characters: The biggest problem with them is that they all have their incredibly annoying moments. Ayumu acts like an arrogant little bastard and when he needs self confidence the most, he always loses it. Feels like these moments are just present to waste your time. The characters get the job done, the biggest problem is that even though the storylines are memorable, the characters are not. The best character is probably Hiyono. To be honest, she is the smartest of all these kids.

Overall: Death Note did it. Spiral tried. If they continued the story, or to be more precise, worked more on the main plot instead of time wasting sub-plots it would have been much better, but its not. I would still recommend it because its not bad, it has some memorable moments, but it wont glue you to the chair like DN does.  6.5/10

ShizukaTheOtaku's avatar By on Jul 11, 2015

Story: When I first started to watch this anime, I was kind of blown away by Ayumu's powers of deduction in the first episode. Of course this escalated to a chain of muders and events, each keeping me interested in trying to figure out what was going to happen next. However the ending was the biggest let down as the identity of the blade children wasn't even explained. But it seems like the manga does a good job at this, but still it seems like 24 episodes where lost in this. Also the story doesn't go into explaining a lot of things and recurrently goes about comparing Kyotaka with Ayumu when we know nothing about him. Although it wasinteresting to watch I still have far more questions then I begun with this anime.

Animation: I didn't mind this, especially since the anime is old and there isn't much you can do about it. But still I did like how the characters were portrayed and the whole atmostphere of the anime.

Sound: Yep sound is pretty much a huge factor in this anime as its a detective/mystery and seemed to go well. I loved the low notes produced when someone was caught as a culpit or the sudden dramatic music when Ayumu had to encounter another bomb. And the pianos!

Characters: Well to be honest there weren't that many characters in the anime, but the creator really gave them unique personalities which is somethibg to like. At first I disliked Ayumu's personality because he seems like he doesn't care about anything and has that tough guy attitude... but he changes and that was a highlight. Hiyono  was really nice and annoying in a cute way... and the blade children although portrayed as the villians still have a lot learn and are quite troubled.

Overall I would preferably recommend the manga over this as its not a final piece of work, and found it quite frustrating in the end.

5.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
zezebox's avatar By on Jan 3, 2015

Spend an entire night to watch through, unlike others I didn't look at anything beyond a brief summary of the anime. It caught my eye and I decided to watch it through. Got about half way through and was hoping for some plot progression, but never got any. This anime is a deadend, while the characters are interesting and the premise is a good idea. It was not well executed and the ending is abyssmal. If you thought death note had a bad ending after season 2 you are in for a shock if you watch through the whole thing.

Epimondas's avatar By on Jan 8, 2016

This was a very good highly intellectual show with an excellent crime solving character, but the series had a less than enjoyable ending.  Though, it has been awhile since I saw the series, I did not enjoy the ending at all and that kind of ruined more or less the whole series for me.  So be warned if you watch it the ending might let you down as well.  I do not particularly like a story or characters that build up to or lead me on a certain way only to completely let me down with a much lower quality type of ending than expected based on those things preceding the ending.  The negative review mostly comes from the parts that are responsible for the let down.  It involved the characters and the story primarily.  It was good until the last few episodes then it starts to suck and by the end, I was disappointed.

5.5/10 story
7.5/10 sound
4.5/10 characters
Edlandrez's avatar By on Dec 2, 2015

Tiene un buen inicio, algunas historias interesantes, pero al final del día simplemente no tiene ni pies ni cabeza.

Historia: No he leído el manga, por lo que no sé si omitieron parte de la historia, pero independientemente de ello, es una serie en la que te quedas pensando porque sucede tal ó cual acontecimiento, cuales son las motivaciones de los personajes, el origen de los mismos, etc.  Algunos dirán que es para hacerte pensar, lo cual te mantiene atento al principio, pero eso sólo funciona si eventualmente te dan alguna respuesta, pero no es el caso, y a medida que avanza sólo se enreda más y más, y por consiguiente la cantidad de dudas que se acumulan es mayor.

Personajes: No ayuda la personalidad de la cual revisten a los personajes, tanto principales como secundarios, parecen una versión citadina de los niños del maíz, y conforme te van revelando su historia más confuso se hace entender su forma de actuar.  Es cierto que los traumas experimentados los hacen comportarse de tal o cual manera,  pero al final hay pocos personajes que me hayan caído bien, son mayormente los secundarios los que mantienen cierto atractivo para seguir viendo la historia, pero en su mayoría son irritantes y la manera como resuelven los problemas que se les presentan es totalmente absurda, no genera expectación ni emoción alguna, bueno sí, exasperación.

Animación: Parece un anime de los 90's, que no quiere decir que sea mala, pero ciertamente no ayuda a captar la atención, ya que tienen una pinta más propia de una serie de mechas que de otra cosa.