Sousei no Aquarion

Alt titles: Aquarion

iamanimelover2's avatar By iamanimelover2 on Jul 27, 2010

I found that the series was very well thought. That said i do feel that they could have thought out the ending a little better but you will have to watch the series to know what i am talking about. The characters, animation, and story are top notch and that should be noted.

8.8/10 overall
Ikioi's avatar By Ikioi on Nov 27, 2010

I have got to be honest in saying, I found this anime way more humorous then serious, in the effect that I actually felt like the merging of the robots was almost a sexual inuendo. It actually made the entire series hillarious and I can't help but laugh thinking back on it.

The story was awekwardly weaved and at times you would feel yourself going "What?" and a little lost with what is happening until later in the series. The animation is smooth and overall has a pretty good look to it. The sounds are great as they fight and merge the robots. I think the sound is really what makes the show so humorous to me. If you're not interested you should at the very least watch the first episode so you can see them merge the robots. It is pretty funny.

The characters are amusing everybody seems to have a past life experience controlling what they do though... whole let destiny take the wheel thing. They are interesting though if you're into a man who acts like a talk awekwardly falling in love with a girl.. (Inuyasha anyone? Uhm...) Well yeah... I think overall I will have to give this one a 6.5 Giant Robots, Merging Inuendo's, and about average quality. It isn't a bad watch if you're bored.

Peyton's avatar By Peyton on Aug 29, 2011

Let me start off by saying I will not be revealing any of the plot or the names of the charactres because truly this anime is best expericed with fresh eyes.

The characters in my opinion are the most essential part of an anime, even an anime with a weak plot can be a succes if the characters are very interesting and likable. The characters in Aqurion are some of the best and well fleshed out characters in a long time. The individual backrounds are icredably engrossing I often found my self hoping for another flash back into the past of most of the characters. There are however a few characters that weren't all that bad but seemed for the most part useless though in my opinion every anime needs a few comic relief characters these few or to be exact 2 charectors were given so much attention that when the end of the seires came and nothing abou them had actully occured it was kind of a disapointment.

Plot

The plot of this anime is where it truly shines it is essentaly a Romance/Mecha anime but even though that is what it is at its core Shoji Kawamori did an exllent job of layering many other sub genres onto it and creating a truly enjoyable watching experince I can almost garentee that all your emotins will be fully engaged in this series. There are scenes that will make you feel 2 completely diffrent things at the same time in such harmony. The action scencens which their are plenty of throuhout the entire series are all incredable the attacks are stunning to watch and the transformation sequences are awesome to say the least. There is also this mythologicl element that blankets all the yummy scifi goodness however it can be overpowering at times and that will put some people off if you arent into that kind of thing. The main antagonists in the series are very enigmatic like they are evil in that they want to destry humanity but you will often question if it is wrong for them to do so they ae not easy to hate infact i sometimes found my self rooting for them by accident especialy when their true intentions are revealed.

I will admit the animation out side the battles is nothing speacial in that it is very clean and detalied to look at but if you are not new to scifi anime you have probably seen its kind before. The batles were the best part of the animation from the transfomin to the actual figthing evry thing was beatufaly done the attacks were spectaular however most of the attacks are repeted through out the first half of the series so just sit through that for the really awsome attacks it is well worth it.

To be honest nothing really noticable in this catgory it was within expectation but did not exceed it the voice acting was very good but cosidering i did not watch it dubbed i can say nothing for the english version but i will say when it comes to sound i am hard to please so you will probably find it better.

Overall

Definatly worth watching anyone could enjoy this cause it has many aspects to enjoy and if you are willing to over look a few flaws you will not regert watching this anime i have and will continue to recommend this anime to any and all willing to give it a chance.

Howlorihara's avatar By Howlorihara on Feb 27, 2012

This anime truely drove me insane with the massive amount of potential that was wasted!  The story is pretty mediocre.  Essentially, a group of teenagers team up to fight evil angels and save all of man kind.  This basic concept really bored me.  They made it a bit interesting when they started making the audience question who was evil in the war.  However, there were too many scenes that ended devolving into "power of friendship" cheesy shots.  All you anime fans know what I'm talking about.  My other massive problem was, in the beginning, it sort of came off as a battle of the week anime where a new and bigger mecha must be defeated in every episode.  This format continued for so long that it got boring really quickly.  Then it made itself worse by almost transforming into an after school special.  They had episodes about rumors, dieting and the power of acceptance.  I felt like I was having a moral lesson shoved down my throat for half of it.  I don't think the plot is the strong point of this anime.  In fact, the plot was entirely dissappointing.

The animation is not bad.  Most of it is nothing to cheer over but the battle scenes were well done and I liked how the world of the Shadow Angels was designed.  The animation, for the most part, goes somewhat unnoticed.  It is not distracting in any way (which is both good and bad.)  There weren't any parts that stuck out as being horrendous but I also wouldn't watch it for the art.

The sound began to irritate me after a while.  I liked the themes for the show.  The openings were fairly perky and fun.  They caught my attention and seemed like they belonged in the show.  The ending theme was beautiful and really captured the original greek mythology deal that the whole show is based on.  However, the creators didn't know when to quit.  For almost every battle sequence they would just reuse whichever opening appeared at the beginning of the episode.  Some of the times it fit and some of the time it didn't.  Yet, the creators insisted on jamming it in wether it was needed or not.

The characters are where this show begins to shine.  Apollo is likeable and fun in his animalistic mannerisms.  Somehow, it is pretty endearing when he was going off to catch rats or bite someone on the ankle.  Sylvia is a bit irritating and her obsession with her brother doesn't seem healthy but, at the same time, her motives are well explained so she becomes interesting.  Sirius was one of my favorites.  He was always hiding who he was from the world which drove him to make some massive decisions in the show.  His inner conflict was interesting to watch.  I wish that some of the relationships had been more fleshed out.  This show has a tendancy to gloss over the love that some characters would have reason to feel and go straight to hatred.  I also liked the past lives concept.  It came up a bit too conveniently but I felt satisfied with how that issue was resolved by the end.

All in all, if you are interested in seeing some good characters it is worth a try.  Although, I must admit that you have to go through some flaws to see it.

6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Mar 29, 2012

Here is a tip for all you scriptwriter wannabes out there: IT’S NOT THAT EASY!
Aquarion was basically trying to be a more light Neon Genesis, with a lot less seriousness and a lot more fan service. And it failed big time for not doing much with its own potencial other than making fun of itself.

THE STAFF
- Animated by Studio Satelite, which has produced several famous and infamous sci-fi shows over the years. In the longrun none of them manage to be masterworks for having sloppy directing but I did love what they did with Noein. Other than that they are not a studio I am fond of.
- Directed and written by Kawamori Shouji, known for his work on various Macross series. He is by no means awesome in his work as he hardly takes his work seriously, as in the case of directing shows like Arjuna and Basquash. In all, I don’t consider him as anything special.

SCRIPT
The world is at stake so let’s go for beers

Its core story is quite the typical mecha one, albeit full of anime-only terminologies that they never seem to be directly explained to you. This element could work as a plus, since you are supposed to pay attention and slowly learn what is going on with the world and those weird sounding names. The problem is presentation. IT SUCKS! You are never told what is going on in-series to the most part. So ok, Neon Genesis did the same. Only there, the answers would leave you amazed, while here they will only make you think “What? That was all of it? Big deal!”

The plot is done in media res fashion, that is starting not from the beginning but from a point later, where you are supposed to find out what happened in the past. That could also work as a great plus. But presentation once again ruins all the fun, as most of the episodes are random fillers that only manage to confuse you with irrelevant happenings and character self-realization that by the next episode has totally been forgotten. So here you are keeping notes for a hundred things, only to realize in the end that most were just smokescreen and that the actual plot could easily fit in 6 episodes.

The idea behind the story is actually very good on paper. It is about a destroyed world that awaits rebirth through unearthly means, blurring reality with dreams, and Greek mythology with fringe science. And adding to the lot, battles with giant mecha, past lives, and orgasmic fusions between characters … yeah; it’s weird. I give thumbs up to all that wackiness. Under different directing all that could make another Neon Genesis indeed. Too bad they didn’t because of LAME PRESENTATION!

How could all this work out? Well, less filler would definitely work to its advantage; by the time the finale kicked in, you have lost interest. And less humor too; most fillers aim at comedy and when we are back into the core story, it is supposed to be dramatic and serious as heck. The feeling of the fillers was so alienating it was severing you from the feeling of the meaningful parts and although the finale was powerful and wrapped things nicely, it meant very little by then.

Too bad I wasn’t in the writing team; I could save this from disaster with my oh-so-basic-literature-skills-you-suckers-at-the-drawing-boards-lack.

CAST
Ooooh, stick that big, hard mind of yours deep inside my wet dream

The cast is the usual bunch we find in all classic mecha stories (Don’t make me mention them; it’s a waste of time if you don’t know what I mean just from that). The story tried to spice them up by throwing a super hot spice to the soup of mediocrity by giving them past lives, ties with mythology, and the need to realize stuff through dreams in order to save the day. That leaves room for a lot of character development and could create a heck of a cast, just like it did in Neon Genesis. Only thing, this is no Ne… (and sorry to keep mentioning that anime but it is the best way to explain the faults).

Most of the supposed development the characters get does not matter. It happens in one episode, helps to materialize some weird special attack and it is forgotten by the next episode. This reset button ruins most of the actual liking you could have with them.

Then it’s the idea of merging. In order to summon the mecha and fight, the characters need to merge their mind, a procedure that feels like they are having an orgasm. Yeah, gives the term “mindfuck” a whole new meaning. Now, I’m not against the idea itself; I actually liked the hentai possibilities to this concept. The thing is, it is used so many times in almost the exact way all the time that as the episodes go by you only see it as a running joke. The characters lose their seriousness and are seen just as sex material or comic relief, blasting away the tragedy of their past lives and their final battle at the end. And may I remind you, this is not purely a comedy to begin with, so overdoing the funny part destroys the sad part. Thus, presentation once more ruins the anime, just like the Gods ruined the world of the series.

PRODUCTION VALUES
I am coming. I am coming! … I came.

There are lots of repeating clips used during special attacks and intercourse … er, I mean merging. It is a cheap way to waste airing time and eventually gets to your nerves (lol, NERV, another reference to Neon Genesis). But other than that the rest of the quality in artwork and character design is actually quite nice. The way the destroyed world is depicted and the psychedelic situations the characters are thrown in show some hints of brilliance. But not too much to deserve more than that. Also, the music is just nice, no dialogues or songs are that good despite their mystical overtones and the famous voices behind them. [/spoiler]

LEGACY
Was it as good for you as it was for me? … What? You had better???

Sorry fellas, this doesn’t work in the longrun. The initial feeling of mystery and epicness fades away after the second repeating merging clip, while the smokescreened info and the dead time are killing your interest with a pickaxe. The only thing worth remembering is the orgasmic merging, which is not a good note on its resume. The story was good and the characters seemed interesting but you end up not caring about all that in a few episodes. Just stick to that other anime I mentioned a dozen times already. It has no orgasms while merging but instead has a guy masturbating over a comatose girl. Priceless!

Verdict: 5/10
There are some things money can’t buy. For all the rest, there is Mindfucard.
And sorry for all these deprived jokes but this series is so asking for it.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 7/10
General Artwork 2/2 (interesting setting)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 1/2 (too empty)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (lots of crazy stuff)

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 5/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 0/2 (loose)
Complexity 2/2 (rich context)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (random but solid)

CHARACTER SECTION: 5/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 1/2 (cheesy)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (maturity gets a reset on every episode)
Catharsis 2/2 (overblown but it’s there)

VALUE SECTION: 3/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too little plot)
Memorability 2/4 (not bad but nothing special)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 4/10
Art 0/1 (looks dull)
Sound 1/2 (nice soundtrack)
Story 1/3 (good ideas but lukewarm presentation)
Characters 2/4 (not bad but nothing special)

VERDICT: 5/10