Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

Alt titles: And Yet The Town Moves

DannyOtaku87's avatar By DannyOtaku87 on Nov 21, 2010

At first I passed over this one for a while. Had other shows to watch and things to do. Sadly I think I should have put it off even longer.

Arashiyama Waves

The Story [5] - A young girl named Arashiyama works at a maid-caffe and wants to be a detective. Yep thats it, prepare to have your world rocked an huge amount of MEDIOCRITY! The caffe isn't really a "maid" caffe. Our Heroine is clutz with all the intelligence of a rock so detective is looking like a long shot.  She is pursued by a guy with no real story, who she doen't know exist's unless it's to copy his homework, but her friend is head over heals for him. Oh guess what he doesn't notice that either...

Original -_-.

I understand that this might have been done to add a certain charm to the show but it does not pull it off. A Love Triangle that doesn't get you to feel anything for those involved, an a frightning female friend who I can only think of as a unintresting Nijima (Shijou Saikyou No Deshi Kenichi) and a following cast of forgettable support and I have a hard time finding what to like here. Oh I forgot she's in love with her teacher, who veiws her as an academic speed bump.

Animation [8] - One of the Few good notes is the animation, while it's not a carbon copy of everything out there it is good.Lots of shades an background movment wich look great when a scence is outside. But thats it really...   I feel I have to give this a high score because it's the only thing it really has going for it.

Music/Sound [6]- The music is not for me intro is forgettable an haven't felt inclined to sit through an outro (I am a fan of Japanese music too.) But atleast the voice acting is good, nothing extreme or ground breaking but it all fits.

Characters [5] - There have been maybe 4 moments in the 7 episodes I have watched that have gotten me to smile (Less than 0.52 an episode). The only character you feel that you know a little bit about is the main, and I find that story boring.

Overall [6] - Now I can't say no one will like this anime. If you love Maids, or stupid women who somehow can't pull it off to atleast seem cute this might be for you. But it's going to make you work to enjoy it. This could have been good, But nothing fits. Is it a comedy thats not that funny? A Shoujo that only lightly touches on school life to the point that the longest scence are of the Lead getting in trouble for 5 min? A love story that consist's of She loves him but can't tell him, he loves her friend and can't tell her, while she loves the teacher who can't stand her. And it's about a much fun as it sounds to describe it.

I'm just not a fan, if you want funny go somewhere else, if you want a love story go somewhere else, If you'd like a story about a clutzy girl who overcomes the problems in her life to develope into a self sustained adult...     Go somewhere else.  In my opinion.

I rate this a 6 out of pity for what might have been.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Mar 27, 2012

The best way to enjoy this anime is to be a fan of either SHAFT shows or a fan of wachy episodic comedies. If for example you demand a story with a plot, evolving characters, or artsy visuals ain’t your thing, then you better not head this way.

As far as SHAFT works go, this one seems to look a lot better, with a lot more actual animation and a lot less bizarre imagery and real life photographs that border hollowed pretentious nonsense. The camera does all sorts of motions and the sequence of scene transition is almost frenetic, while occasionally zooming in to cute faces and naughty female parts of the body, which is SHAFT’s trademark and recipe of success. It is a fine way to help the viewer visualize how awkward and troubled the minds of the characters are, and to spice up the jokes. They even try to change the formula as the episodes move on, from slightly changing the gimmicks to even adding more info about one’s inner self. There is still weird imagery, symbolisms, and trademark punch lines, albeit in a lot less degree than in, let’s say, Sayonara Zetsubo or Arakawa Under the Bridge. I must say that makes the characters to feel a lot less like caricatures defined by a few sentences or personality gimmicks.

At the same time, I must also say that the cast of this anime is a lot less memorable because it does not follow a theme in its setting. Although the first episodes will make most think it is a comedy centering on maids in a maid café, after awhile it becomes just random shorts of practically anything the characters do in their everyday life. With this in mind I say that although Soredemo is a lot more down to earth than most comedies by the same studio, at the same time it also lacks something to make it distinguishable amongst any other similar show. I am not a fan of episodic comedies and in most of them the characters start to become boring fast without some development. When that happens it is the theme of the setting that can keep me interested for more and in this case there is nothing to pay attention to. The whole maid café is nothing but a minor element (perhaps yet another troll joke by the producers) so you end up looking at random people doing random things in hope of laughing. They are the usual “unusual” bunch of misfits and typical of SHAFT most of the humor is based on their total lack of common sense that helps the jokes to work better and the characters to be memorable. As usual, their appeal is mostly based on quirks and bizarre personality and not character development. They may not have punch lines (at least not lines that remain for more than a few episodes) but are still quite simplistic as personalities and basically all follow some archetype. I am not saying the comedy is bad; it’s actually very good in overall; but the interest drops considerably without a hook to keep you interested for more. I can even say that you start to get used to the jokes and that their volume of boldness drops a lot later on. It becomes tiresome after awhile.

Something similar can be said about the music. The music score is funny and artistic but not memorable for any given reason. Voice acting is very good in overall although at times you feel like some actors are not as passionate as they should be. Especially for the main heroine who seems to scream 90% of the time yet her actress is just trying to make her sound as stupid as possible.

In all, it is a good comedy but it definitely is not going to be remembered for most, plus any continuation of the same setting would be pointless since the humor has already run thin and there is no theme or development to excuse another season.

And now for some excused scorings.
ART SECTION: 8/10
General Artwork 2/2 (artsy)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (basic but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (artsy)

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (silly but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Premise 1/2 (typical)
Pacing 0/2 (episodic)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (none)

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Presence 2/2 (funny/sexy)
Personality 2/2 (cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (none)
Catharsis 0/2 (none)

VALUE SECTION: 3/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low as there is very little to expect from a second watch)
Memorability 2/4 (besides being a SHAFT show, I see no other reason to remember it)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 4/10
Very good at first but loses steam fast and becomes quite bother towards the end.

VERDICT: 5/10