Sora no Otoshimono

Alt title: Heaven's Lost Property

KiraRin's avatar By on Feb 14, 2010

Of all my reviews, the one to cause the most controversy is my abhorrent hatred for DearS. So as Sora no Otoshimono fired up and one of the first things to grace the screen was a top-heavy, vapid bint with a collar who insisted on calling the hapless protagonist “master”, I steadied myself for an entire series of panty-flashing bilge. And oh boy, did its pathetic little perverted dance live up to my expectations.... well, for the first 4 episodes it did.

Playing on every single clichéd anime device, expect to see the skin flashing swimsuit episode, the girls donning yutaka for the festival and even the shock classroom harem scenes! It required a few episodes for me to understand Sora no Otoshimono is most definitely not a series to be taken seriously. There are countless shows parodied (including DearS and Saikano), and surprisingly it is done very well at times. Yes, at times. Lacking the ecchi finesse of Shuffle!, the show struggles on a little confused about direction. Should we care more about the childhood friend or the fact Icarus, an “Angeloid” who seems so sweet and naive is actually a destructive weapon? For a thirteen episode romp, there is too much crammed into a short space.

Speaking from experience, I have always found I either love or hate an ecchi anime. But Sora no Otoshimono baffled me with moments of pure brilliance hidden amongst the trash. The first few episodes are dire, and it is only my resolution to not drop a series that let me persevere through to the end. Unfortunately, many people will have dropped this show early on and sadly will miss some genuinely hilarious parody filled scenes. Although the story is not great, and the comedy a little hit or miss at times, ecchi fans with a sense of humour may enjoy the amusing digs at other shows in the genre.

Utterly stereotyped women with overly inflated funbags are the main focus of Sora no Otoshimono, and to be honest, it’s starting to get a bit overdone. Even the token loli-like character with the pettanko chest is on the “how to make an ecchi anime” check list, and this show makes sure to capture every single last one of these clichéd devices. That said, the unbelievable artwork is really quite sexy, and the use of CG adds to an extremely over the top pantsu flying scene. Yes, a host of ladies delicates soaring through the sky in formation is probably one of the unbelievable highlights that had me rolling about with laughter. The chibification of Tomoki, for me anyway, is another plus point; seeing the degradation of the pervert into a stumpy caricature is laugh out loud funny, especially the set of wings covering his (petite) modesty.

With some extremely well performed voice acting, the staple characters of the show have voices that fit their personalities extremely well. From the shy and girlish tones of Icarus, to the immature whine of Tomoki, the professional seiyuu seem to have been practicing in other series within the genre. If only the soundtrack had fared as well. Instead, a nasal J-pop track straight out of an eroge put my teeth on edge before the show even started. The closing audio is middle-of-the-road, however the accompanying video unique to each episode is frequently panty-wettingly funny.

Counting the number of likable characters on one hand, the other hand contains those that I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if they fell under a bus. Tomoki is hilarious. His non-PC antics are one of the things that kept the show moving along whilst managing to hold the train-wreck together. Conversely, Sohara is a complete flake who can’t decide if she wants to bed the protagonist or beat the crap out of him. Unfortunately, the dynamic between the two is a necessary evil, as much of the humour comes from the violent beatings but loses its edge as a sappy romance is introduced.

Also worthy of a mention is the slyly sadistic Mikako, whose mischief is not used as often as maybe it should be. Her dry and wicked sense of humour resonates with me, and I often find myself grinning at her wind up tactics. The two angeloids, Icarus and Nymph, sadly aren’t as interesting. I really don’t like the feeble and clueless female types, and so their whiny natures had me wishing for the next scene just in case they weren’t involved.

Overall

Like so many other shows, Sora no Otoshimono tries too hard to please too many people. The convoluted and unnecessary storyline did not fit what could have been a harmless, but fun perverted romp. The laugh out loud hilarious moments that make your ribs ache are too infrequent for this to reach excellent heights. Just take the series for what it is: pure parody that is not as bad as some people make out.

5.5/10 story
5.5/10 overall
Weeapoop's avatar By on Jul 29, 2016

Heaven's Lost Property is a slapstick comedy show about a teenage boy who becomes the master of an angel fallen to earth ( Heaven's Lost Property). The show is heavy on cringe comedy, toilet humor, political incorrectness, and surreal plot lines. Furthermore, the motif of being a pervert appear excessively in every episode to the point of sex crimes. Actually, I'm surprised it's not R-rated. Yet,that combination of moral depravity and surreal plot lines creates a very over-the-top and funny anime to watch. I laughed out loud over every episode.

Again,This show is very politically incorrect, perverted, and cringeworthy.

" If I see any panties today, they will turn into bombs and blow my ass to smithereens. Damn it. I'm becoming a man so of course I want to fondle them and smell them."

The center of the shows is a 14 year old boy, Tomoki. He is a major creep spending all his time thinking about panty and adult magazines or "booby mags"as he calls them. With zero shame, he openly talks with his female friends about his perversions. He creates panty robots and panty machines in his room. He even changes gender to get into a girls locker room.

At the same time, Tomoki and the characters are somewhat likable. Tomoki is short. His group of friends are all awkward. He acts as a foil to the rest of the characters. But, the lesson is that it is okay to be yourself and pursue your dreams ( albeit a perverted and illegal dream). The theme is not exclusively pervert vs. sane people. Each character of Tomoki's friends has some selfish and perverted side, yet Tomoki is the most transparent. Sora secretly like Tomoki. The angel is actually a death machine. Two characters are just friends because they like to watch the fun.

And, The chemistry between the group of friends is comedic gold. The angel plays the emotionless terminator being taught ways of the human experience. Sora is Tomoki's childhood friend who physical assaults him when he starts becoming perverted. Two other characters act as observers of all the wackiness taking place.

The art and sci-if setting also supplements the story. Since the Angels come from some inter dimensional world, they wear weird clothes and use weird devices. Magic technology becomes a plot tool to explore all sorts of perverted ideas.

I suggest you watch Heavens Lost Property. It is comparable to western cartoons like South Park or Family Guy in its level of inappropriateness. It is one of those comedies that are funny yet remind you to grow up.

DrFerzaie's avatar By on Feb 21, 2016

It's allright i found this sucker on netflix thats a pluse. Its perty stupide how friking out of poprtin the female cdarecters are. Basicaly its good entertainment but they just ignore any hopes of a female audiance. Dumbassess. The creators came so close to one of the gretest stories ever but blew it focusing on pervertion. Tobad. second season is better just wacht hthis one through to fing the secong season.

Cheers-

Dr Ferzaie-

Not a doctor just a phisisist who cant spell

8.3/10 overall
RedHydra8's avatar By on May 10, 2015

This show tries to be too much at once. Mostly, it tries to be a trendsetter. And yes, while some of the charcters such as Nymph and Ikaros are awesome, so many of the others are just..... They're some of the worst I've ever come across. The show tries so hard to be the next Highschool DxD or the next To Love-Ru. But what it fails to realize is that those animes were successful not just because of the fanservice, but because there were likable charcters to go back to in them. SnO does not have that. Tomoki isn't Issei, and Ikaros isn't Lala Satalin Deviluke. Again, Ikaros is a good charcter, but they try way to hard to make her an awkward alien-type character that they leave out any true personality traits. And while Issei is a perv, Tomoki goes way too far way too often, and the show's attempts to make his pervertedness funny just comes off as gross. While I will admit that the series made me laugh at a few points, and the fanservice is sometimes nice, it's not enough to save this cookie-cutter wannabe with no real purpose or true likability behind it. For me, at least.

3.5/10 story
5.5/10 overall
KaedeSama's avatar By on Feb 19, 2015

This is the most heart-warming anime that Ive ever watched in my life. I love the story and the characters (ALSO THE FAN SERVICE ^_^).  "Tomoki is an ordinary boy who wants a peace and quite life, but 1 day an Angeloid named Ikaros fell into the sky and becomes his servant Angeloid", when I heard those words from my classmate I think that this anime show was interesting, and I found out it is! Every episode was funny because of Tomoki, he is a perv, a lucky perv! Im jealous of him hahahha!!! But I'm attracted to Ikaros, because she was cute, beautiful, strong, talented and most of all STOIC, I love STOIC heroines.

I love the animation of this anime, because it was detailed, and I love the fighting scenes and also the chibi version of the characters.

The OP of this anime was great, I like the song. It was connected in the anime itself.

Overall.... This anime is well made, the story, the characters, the sound and the animation. Thats why I gave the 10/10.(UMEDETOU!!)