Sora no Otoshimono

Alt titles: Heaven's Lost Property

KiraRin's avatar By on Feb 14, 2010

Of all my reviews, the one to cause the most controversy is my abhorrent hatred for DearS. So as Sora no Otoshimono fired up and one of the first things to grace the screen was a top-heavy, vapid bint with a collar who insisted on calling the hapless protagonist “master”, I steadied myself for an entire series of panty-flashing bilge. And oh boy, did its pathetic little perverted dance live up to my expectations.... well, for the first 4 episodes it did.

Playing on every single clichéd anime device, expect to see the skin flashing swimsuit episode, the girls donning yutaka for the festival and even the shock classroom harem scenes! It required a few episodes for me to understand Sora no Otoshimono is most definitely not a series to be taken seriously. There are countless shows parodied (including DearS and Saikano), and surprisingly it is done very well at times. Yes, at times. Lacking the ecchi finesse of Shuffle!, the show struggles on a little confused about direction. Should we care more about the childhood friend or the fact Icarus, an “Angeloid” who seems so sweet and naive is actually a destructive weapon? For a thirteen episode romp, there is too much crammed into a short space.

Speaking from experience, I have always found I either love or hate an ecchi anime. But Sora no Otoshimono baffled me with moments of pure brilliance hidden amongst the trash. The first few episodes are dire, and it is only my resolution to not drop a series that let me persevere through to the end. Unfortunately, many people will have dropped this show early on and sadly will miss some genuinely hilarious parody filled scenes. Although the story is not great, and the comedy a little hit or miss at times, ecchi fans with a sense of humour may enjoy the amusing digs at other shows in the genre.

Utterly stereotyped women with overly inflated funbags are the main focus of Sora no Otoshimono, and to be honest, it’s starting to get a bit overdone. Even the token loli-like character with the pettanko chest is on the “how to make an ecchi anime” check list, and this show makes sure to capture every single last one of these clichéd devices. That said, the unbelievable artwork is really quite sexy, and the use of CG adds to an extremely over the top pantsu flying scene. Yes, a host of ladies delicates soaring through the sky in formation is probably one of the unbelievable highlights that had me rolling about with laughter. The chibification of Tomoki, for me anyway, is another plus point; seeing the degradation of the pervert into a stumpy caricature is laugh out loud funny, especially the set of wings covering his (petite) modesty.

With some extremely well performed voice acting, the staple characters of the show have voices that fit their personalities extremely well. From the shy and girlish tones of Icarus, to the immature whine of Tomoki, the professional seiyuu seem to have been practicing in other series within the genre. If only the soundtrack had fared as well. Instead, a nasal J-pop track straight out of an eroge put my teeth on edge before the show even started. The closing audio is middle-of-the-road, however the accompanying video unique to each episode is frequently panty-wettingly funny.

Counting the number of likable characters on one hand, the other hand contains those that I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if they fell under a bus. Tomoki is hilarious. His non-PC antics are one of the things that kept the show moving along whilst managing to hold the train-wreck together. Conversely, Sohara is a complete flake who can’t decide if she wants to bed the protagonist or beat the crap out of him. Unfortunately, the dynamic between the two is a necessary evil, as much of the humour comes from the violent beatings but loses its edge as a sappy romance is introduced.

Also worthy of a mention is the slyly sadistic Mikako, whose mischief is not used as often as maybe it should be. Her dry and wicked sense of humour resonates with me, and I often find myself grinning at her wind up tactics. The two angeloids, Icarus and Nymph, sadly aren’t as interesting. I really don’t like the feeble and clueless female types, and so their whiny natures had me wishing for the next scene just in case they weren’t involved.

Overall

Like so many other shows, Sora no Otoshimono tries too hard to please too many people. The convoluted and unnecessary storyline did not fit what could have been a harmless, but fun perverted romp. The laugh out loud hilarious moments that make your ribs ache are too infrequent for this to reach excellent heights. Just take the series for what it is: pure parody that is not as bad as some people make out.

5.5/10 story
5.5/10 overall
RedHydra8's avatar By on May 10, 2015

This show tries to be too much at once. Mostly, it tries to be a trendsetter. And yes, while some of the charcters such as Nymph and Ikaros are awesome, so many of the others are just..... They're some of the worst I've ever come across. The show tries so hard to be the next Highschool DxD or the next To Love-Ru. But what it fails to realize is that those animes were successful not just because of the fanservice, but because there were likable charcters to go back to in them. SnO does not have that. Tomoki isn't Issei, and Ikaros isn't Lala Satalin Deviluke. Again, Ikaros is a good charcter, but they try way to hard to make her an awkward alien-type character that they leave out any true personality traits. And while Issei is a perv, Tomoki goes way too far way too often, and the show's attempts to make his pervertedness funny just comes off as gross. While I will admit that the series made me laugh at a few points, and the fanservice is sometimes nice, it's not enough to save this cookie-cutter wannabe with no real purpose or true likability behind it. For me, at least.

3.5/10 story
5.5/10 overall
KaedeSama's avatar By on Feb 19, 2015

This is the most heart-warming anime that Ive ever watched in my life. I love the story and the characters (ALSO THE FAN SERVICE ^_^).  "Tomoki is an ordinary boy who wants a peace and quite life, but 1 day an Angeloid named Ikaros fell into the sky and becomes his servant Angeloid", when I heard those words from my classmate I think that this anime show was interesting, and I found out it is! Every episode was funny because of Tomoki, he is a perv, a lucky perv! Im jealous of him hahahha!!! But I'm attracted to Ikaros, because she was cute, beautiful, strong, talented and most of all STOIC, I love STOIC heroines.

I love the animation of this anime, because it was detailed, and I love the fighting scenes and also the chibi version of the characters.

The OP of this anime was great, I like the song. It was connected in the anime itself.

Overall.... This anime is well made, the story, the characters, the sound and the animation. Thats why I gave the 10/10.(UMEDETOU!!)

hamletsmage's avatar By on Nov 9, 2014

Story: For an anime that relies on panty-shots and fan service, this actually has a plot. It's not always coherent, and there are times were it just doesn't make sense. But there is a plot. Or rather, there are several plots that try to exist in a 13 episode anime, so a lot of the time, things seemed... rushed? You have the angeloid plotline with Ikaros and Nymph that was honestly the best plotline and I wish they had just focused on it. Instead, you have the "childhood friend" plotline, whatever was going on with the class president, and Tomoki's ever present puberty-laced fantasies. For a short anime, that's a lot to cram in. Espeically when the first few episodes felt like filler.

Animation: The animation on this was pretty good, not spectalar, "I weep for my eyes cannot take the beauty" good, but definitely up to snuff with today's animation styles. The switch between chibi-Tomoki and regular Tomoki got a little repetitive, but otherwise, I found no real fault with the animation. Except maybe the flying panties, but honestly, how does one animate flying underwear?

Sound: Again, how does one go about making the sound for a flock of flying underwear? The opening song was a cute little pop ballad that suit the anime pretty well. It's still stuck in my head... There is an episode with the group forming a band, so there's at least one other song to look for when watching this anime.

Characters: The main characters actually had more depth than I was expecting for an anime that relies so heavily on fan-service. Tomoki, for all his pervishness, is actually pretty kind. Ikaros may start out as a blank slate, but she gains a character throughout the series. And the rest have their moments. However, the characters all fall into a kind of mold I've seen in light-novel-based animes. Ikaros is the robot/alien type, Sohara is the childhood friend type, Nymph is the loli type, and Mikako is the upperclassman/teacher type.

Overall: Honestly, this anime surprised me.

angelsreviews's avatar By on Sep 10, 2014

So, this is the second time that I have reviewed this show going back after I have dropped it before. What do flying underpants, a wish granting angel android, and a perverted boy have in common? This stupid show. It just feels like a pervert’s joyride. An angel named Ikaros comes down from heaven and ends up with a perverted little boy named Tomoki. I believe he got this bad because of his grandfather. His grandfather would tell him a lot of perverted words of wisdom.

There are so many times this show goes overboard just for the fact that of fun. For example, panties flying into window ends up with him making whole garlands of panties, goes to a robot that was made out of panties…… can you see where this goes? It just escalates from there. There is so much Ecchi in this show that you feel like drowning in it. A school life with a lot more ecchi then I would of liked in a show. And this is why I had dropped this show before.

Sure in each episode, Eishoro ends up talking about something historic or scientific that is supposed to pertain to the show but it doesn’t. It feels like they are just trying to push more meaning into the story that doesn’t have one. This has Magical Girlfriend written all over it. Even the name of Ikaros’ program is a ‘Pet class’ and wears a chain and collar. Think of her as an Android and then think of Chobits… it’s pretty much the same with characters popping up all over. Chi and Ikaros have very much the same sort of problems though if I explained it; it would be a spoiler for the most part.

The show would probably be very good if there wasn’t all the ecchi stuff. It has a deep meaning behind it and I guess that might be the part of the show I missed in my first watch because it only really shows its true face in episode 7. Much like Elfen Lied, we have a darker side of the anime two. So I guess it’s a mixture of Chobits and Elfen Lied with perverted wish granting powers. The bad thing about this is that it comes up so late in the show that it not only is it a big spoiler, it also ends up making the show look like a school life Ecchi up till then. Even after, it still looks like a school life Ecchi but at least it has more deep emotional reasoning behind me watching the rest of it.

The animation is rather nice, actually rather beautiful. It is very clean and crisp, too bad it’s also very ecchi (Sorry all those wanting to see the whole thing, nothing really naked though). The characters are… colorful at least. I see it like a perverted version of Comic Party in look and feel.  Instead of Comics, the Tomoki is crazy about panties and breasts.

Having said this, there are some good points. The characters actually seem a little human when they show the romantic parts and when the characters are not being fully perverted. The voices are pretty good and each one really fits the characters no matter what crazy emotion they do. The music is beautiful and without all the perverted things though the beginning song does get old when marathoning it.

In the end, I did end up cutting the show short when I first dropped it. Would I ever watch it again? The answer to that is that I would probably have to hate myself to sit threw the torture that is the first few episodes to get to the good stuff but I might… ug…. Now there is the OVA and Forte that I might have to do…