Sora no Otoshimono

Alt titles: Heaven's Lost Property

KiraRin's avatar By on Feb 14, 2010

Of all my reviews, the one to cause the most controversy is my abhorrent hatred for DearS. So as Sora no Otoshimono fired up and one of the first things to grace the screen was a top-heavy, vapid bint with a collar who insisted on calling the hapless protagonist “master”, I steadied myself for an entire series of panty-flashing bilge. And oh boy, did its pathetic little perverted dance live up to my expectations.... well, for the first 4 episodes it did.

Playing on every single clichéd anime device, expect to see the skin flashing swimsuit episode, the girls donning yutaka for the festival and even the shock classroom harem scenes! It required a few episodes for me to understand Sora no Otoshimono is most definitely not a series to be taken seriously. There are countless shows parodied (including DearS and Saikano), and surprisingly it is done very well at times. Yes, at times. Lacking the ecchi finesse of Shuffle!, the show struggles on a little confused about direction. Should we care more about the childhood friend or the fact Icarus, an “Angeloid” who seems so sweet and naive is actually a destructive weapon? For a thirteen episode romp, there is too much crammed into a short space.

Speaking from experience, I have always found I either love or hate an ecchi anime. But Sora no Otoshimono baffled me with moments of pure brilliance hidden amongst the trash. The first few episodes are dire, and it is only my resolution to not drop a series that let me persevere through to the end. Unfortunately, many people will have dropped this show early on and sadly will miss some genuinely hilarious parody filled scenes. Although the story is not great, and the comedy a little hit or miss at times, ecchi fans with a sense of humour may enjoy the amusing digs at other shows in the genre.

Utterly stereotyped women with overly inflated funbags are the main focus of Sora no Otoshimono, and to be honest, it’s starting to get a bit overdone. Even the token loli-like character with the pettanko chest is on the “how to make an ecchi anime” check list, and this show makes sure to capture every single last one of these clichéd devices. That said, the unbelievable artwork is really quite sexy, and the use of CG adds to an extremely over the top pantsu flying scene. Yes, a host of ladies delicates soaring through the sky in formation is probably one of the unbelievable highlights that had me rolling about with laughter. The chibification of Tomoki, for me anyway, is another plus point; seeing the degradation of the pervert into a stumpy caricature is laugh out loud funny, especially the set of wings covering his (petite) modesty.

With some extremely well performed voice acting, the staple characters of the show have voices that fit their personalities extremely well. From the shy and girlish tones of Icarus, to the immature whine of Tomoki, the professional seiyuu seem to have been practicing in other series within the genre. If only the soundtrack had fared as well. Instead, a nasal J-pop track straight out of an eroge put my teeth on edge before the show even started. The closing audio is middle-of-the-road, however the accompanying video unique to each episode is frequently panty-wettingly funny.

Counting the number of likable characters on one hand, the other hand contains those that I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if they fell under a bus. Tomoki is hilarious. His non-PC antics are one of the things that kept the show moving along whilst managing to hold the train-wreck together. Conversely, Sohara is a complete flake who can’t decide if she wants to bed the protagonist or beat the crap out of him. Unfortunately, the dynamic between the two is a necessary evil, as much of the humour comes from the violent beatings but loses its edge as a sappy romance is introduced.

Also worthy of a mention is the slyly sadistic Mikako, whose mischief is not used as often as maybe it should be. Her dry and wicked sense of humour resonates with me, and I often find myself grinning at her wind up tactics. The two angeloids, Icarus and Nymph, sadly aren’t as interesting. I really don’t like the feeble and clueless female types, and so their whiny natures had me wishing for the next scene just in case they weren’t involved.

Overall

Like so many other shows, Sora no Otoshimono tries too hard to please too many people. The convoluted and unnecessary storyline did not fit what could have been a harmless, but fun perverted romp. The laugh out loud hilarious moments that make your ribs ache are too infrequent for this to reach excellent heights. Just take the series for what it is: pure parody that is not as bad as some people make out.

5.5/10 story
5.5/10 overall
Scoop11's avatar By on Sep 6, 2011

Sora No Otoshimono (being released by FUNImatin as "Heaven's Lost Property") is an ecchi series that has one purpose and one purpose only -- to entertain the audience with bouncing boobies and panty shots.  Just like every other ecchi series.  But, oh, does it have its moments of brilliance.

Tomoki dreams of a life of peace and quiet. However, he had a hard time getting that with a neighbor who karate chops him when he expresses his perverted thoughts, a student body president with a sadistic streak, and a club president who is possibly a bigger pervert than he is.  One day, while waiting for the others to show up under a tree he gets a call to get out of the area, and finds himself face to face with a big breasted (of course) Angeloid named Ikarus who has fallen out of the sky.  Now Tomoki's peace and quiet has been broken since he is now imprinted onto the angeloid as her master and his attempts to keep her under wraps.

STORY -- The series itself has some amusing moments -- you wouldn't think an episode about flying panties would be that funny.  Going into it you have to realize that the show doesn't take itself that seriously at all.  Although there are some decent action scenes (and some sad scenes with the Angeloids and their backstory), the comedy should be what makes this show.  It's kind of hit and miss, but it's never really boring to watch.

ANIMATION -- The battle scenes are very well animated.  But you often forget what Tomoki looks like in his normal form since they seem to like to keep him as a "chibi" through most of the show.

SOUND -- Have some decent voice acting, and the changing ending themes is a welcome change from most shows.  The opening song is pretty good, but the "boing" sound when boobs bounce can get annoying, if only because of how many opther animes you've seen it in (unless that's the point?)

CHARACTERS -- You've got some likable characters in the mix, like Tomoki and Ikarus.  Others are hard to like, like New World Discovery club president Sukara -- he's supposed to be a bigger pervert, but he seems to hide it rather well in the episodes I've seen.

OVERALL -- Worth checking out if you're into ecchi type series. Just don't take it too seriously.

IssacandAsimov's avatar By on Dec 21, 2012

Secret Santa Review

A bevy of young, buxom schoolgirls wearing minimal amounts of clothing? A generic male self-insert who has the romantic attention of multiple female paramours? Yessir, it’s a harem series alright.

Ecchi series like these are likely to appeal to the fan who wants to see bountiful bouncing anime mammaries, but for those seeking more complex fare, they tend to be poor choices. Heaven’s Lost Property does not buck that trend. A paucity of plot is occasionally meted out between various voyeuristic shots of the heroines. It’s no mystery what the real focus is here. The plot basically just serves as a premise to hold together what is, in reality, an episodic series of fan service vignettes tinged with lowbrow humor. It’s unapologetically sophomoric and simplistic. The story experiences such laconic development that it is barely even relevant until the season is ready to finish with a scene that is satisfying at a certain level, but concludes only a moment, not a narrative.

The show’s characters are typical harem stock. You have a childhood friend, a mischievous rich girl, a flat-chested mildly tsundere character (sure to appease any who would consider Rie Kugimiya their favorite seiyuu) and a servile, heavily dependent girl. Such is the point of the harem series, after all: Offer a menu of common fantasy girls for the viewer to choose between. Wish fulfillment at its most basic. It’s only to be expected that the male main character is so plain and generic, having little personality beyond being a hapless pervert and a nice guy who isn’t popular with the ladies, only suddenly now he totally is because that’s what the viewer wants to be their own reality. The male main character is simultaneously just enough like them that they can relate, but also so basic that they can imagine themselves as him. All of that comes out to be kind of boring if the viewer is not interested in indulging in that sort of fantasy, however.

The animation is just rather so-so. There’s no glaring faults with it, but never does it stand out. Most scenes only utilize rather basic animation which is not all that interesting to watch. It simply gets the job done. Background art is typically minimally detailed. The show never seems to be making an effort to be artistically interesting. Moving on to sound, seiyuu deliver performances that mostly capture the characters, with Mikako’s voice lacking just a bit of that traditional mischievous anime character mirth and Nymph’s lacking a bit of the haughtiness so endemic to tsundere characters. The background music is fairly generic fodder, never really pleasant nor annoying, and largely forgettable.

Heaven’s Lost Property is a boilerplate harem series offering nothing special. Thoroughly average for its own genre and in many respects for anime as a whole, it earns a 5. Fans of the genre will likely appreciate it, but should not consider it a top priority. Those who do not watch anime for titillation will find small chuckles if they enjoy simple, lowbrow humor and some small trappings of a plot, but nothing that is genuinely worth their time compared to other series. And those who simply want pretty girls to fawn over might be pleased to know that all the characters appear in various states of undress, but those fans have probably skipped straight to doujins.

(Overall score is not meant to represent an arithmetic mean.)

DarkAngelofFire's avatar By on Sep 22, 2012

Perversion is abound in this one... and it's hilarious!

I'll be honest; as a fan of harem, ecchi, comedy types, I tend to be kinder in reviews as opposed to others who judge them more harshly than they deserve. Sora no Otoshimono, or Heavens Lost Property in English, is one of those strange other worldly girl meets earth boy types that does it well.

I like the story because it's different. So here it is: Tomoki is a normal boy who just wants to live a life of peace and quiet. But his life is changed when a buxom girl calling herself an "Angeloid" makes him her master. This Angeloid, named Ikaros, makes Tomoki her master and she'll grant any wish he has.

It's executed quite well with funny jokes, if you're into many a sex joke, and unique characters. Some might say it's another generic harem anime. I disagree. Unlike some harem animes, this one doesn't have nudity and it helps with the comedy. Though censorship is abound.

The animation is great. Breasts bouce at the right times (Believe me, I'm not trying to sound perverted) and it's just good to look at... not just for the boobs.

One thing that I like is that the characters, especially Tomoki, go into a chibi form of themselves. Tomoki generally spends the gist of every episode in this form, and this may be just for the viewers. It's generally when he's being perverted or silly, and other characters look chibi also. It helps with comedic effect and I find it hilarious.

The characters are, for the most part, unique. The fact that the main character is intentionally perverted is hilarious. You also have his friend, Sahara, who karate chops Tomoki in the head when ever she catches him being lewd. Sugata is a ridiculously smart boy who lives in a tyent by a river in the middle of the woods. He's always expressionless, but adds humor by helping Tomoki in some situations. Then there's Mikako. Her father is a member of the Yakuza and she reflects that personality... which is to say that she's care free, but for when she decides to be serious.

Over all, this is an anime that's well worth watching. It's funny, has great characters, and has a good story. The hijinks that happen made me laugh at the absurdity. These range from flying panties to Tomoki being changed into a girl. If ecchi comedy is to your liking, then check this one out.

9.5/10 characters
angelsreviews's avatar By on Sep 10, 2014

So, this is the second time that I have reviewed this show going back after I have dropped it before. What do flying underpants, a wish granting angel android, and a perverted boy have in common? This stupid show. It just feels like a pervert’s joyride. An angel named Ikaros comes down from heaven and ends up with a perverted little boy named Tomoki. I believe he got this bad because of his grandfather. His grandfather would tell him a lot of perverted words of wisdom.

There are so many times this show goes overboard just for the fact that of fun. For example, panties flying into window ends up with him making whole garlands of panties, goes to a robot that was made out of panties…… can you see where this goes? It just escalates from there. There is so much Ecchi in this show that you feel like drowning in it. A school life with a lot more ecchi then I would of liked in a show. And this is why I had dropped this show before.

Sure in each episode, Eishoro ends up talking about something historic or scientific that is supposed to pertain to the show but it doesn’t. It feels like they are just trying to push more meaning into the story that doesn’t have one. This has Magical Girlfriend written all over it. Even the name of Ikaros’ program is a ‘Pet class’ and wears a chain and collar. Think of her as an Android and then think of Chobits… it’s pretty much the same with characters popping up all over. Chi and Ikaros have very much the same sort of problems though if I explained it; it would be a spoiler for the most part.

The show would probably be very good if there wasn’t all the ecchi stuff. It has a deep meaning behind it and I guess that might be the part of the show I missed in my first watch because it only really shows its true face in episode 7. Much like Elfen Lied, we have a darker side of the anime two. So I guess it’s a mixture of Chobits and Elfen Lied with perverted wish granting powers. The bad thing about this is that it comes up so late in the show that it not only is it a big spoiler, it also ends up making the show look like a school life Ecchi up till then. Even after, it still looks like a school life Ecchi but at least it has more deep emotional reasoning behind me watching the rest of it.

The animation is rather nice, actually rather beautiful. It is very clean and crisp, too bad it’s also very ecchi (Sorry all those wanting to see the whole thing, nothing really naked though). The characters are… colorful at least. I see it like a perverted version of Comic Party in look and feel.  Instead of Comics, the Tomoki is crazy about panties and breasts.

Having said this, there are some good points. The characters actually seem a little human when they show the romantic parts and when the characters are not being fully perverted. The voices are pretty good and each one really fits the characters no matter what crazy emotion they do. The music is beautiful and without all the perverted things though the beginning song does get old when marathoning it.

In the end, I did end up cutting the show short when I first dropped it. Would I ever watch it again? The answer to that is that I would probably have to hate myself to sit threw the torture that is the first few episodes to get to the good stuff but I might… ug…. Now there is the OVA and Forte that I might have to do…