Skip Beat!

KiraRin's avatar By KiraRin on Mar 13, 2010

After being repeatedly slapped around the face by rabid fan boys and girls insisting that I *must* watch this show, my alabaster skin could take no more and so it was time to relent and finally watch Skip Beat. From my experience, a series that appeals to a wide range of anime fans usually doesn’t have the necessary je ne sais quoi to win me over. The mushy synopsis and average looking screenshots have never particularly grabbed me, but niggling curiosity made me want to find out for myself just what was so special to have set tongues a wagging at Anime-Planet.

One of my biggest pet hates in anime, specifically romantic anime, is a weak female lead - one that unquestioningly follows a handsome guy, who is a complete bellend to her. It may well happen in real life, but entertainment should be an escape that you can enjoy, and the feeble minded frauline that has become a frayed shojo anime stereotype is more likely to make me rage than empathise. Twenty minutes into the first episode, and I’m feeling the anger bubble; Kyoko spends her entire life acting as a servant for Sho, an idol who hardly even registers her existence, and yet she adores him! Choking back the bile, the final 2 minutes come as a pleasant surprise, setting the scene perfectly for the remainder of the show. Our naive little girl has spunk, and plenty of it.

Using the noble excuse of revenge to forge her career in show business, Kyoko doesn’t have things easy and this is one of Skip Beat’s strongest points; she doesn’t become an instant darling of the stars, and her temperamental nature make things even worse for her career but also shows her human side. Although her fury is highly amusing, I found myself cheering for the underdog and really wanting her to succeed. While the introduction of Ren has most sane women drooling, he also gives the female protagonist an excellent polar opposite to bounce off of. With an expectation that our heroine will drop at his feet, it is like a breath of fresh air that she instead continues as a strong and independent personality.

Although Skip Beat is utterly irresistible and forces you to instantly fire up the next of each twenty-five episodes, my expectations of feeling warm fuzzies from a romantic conclusion were dashed as the show simply stops. No resolution, merely the intriguinging promise of a next stage. Sadly, this happens just as the real gritty drama kicks in when Sho and Ren realise they are more than pretty boys and do actually have emotions. I will push my way to the front of the queue if there is ever a second season, but as it stands I can’t help but feel a twinge of disappointment at being left hanging.

Looking at the bold characters parade across the screen, my initial gut thought was “ick”. My second reaction to the onscreen chibification was sudden laughter. Somehow, the temperamental animation quality seems utterly perfect for Skip Beat. The bishies are just a little too elongated, Kyoko’s eyes take up about 50% of her face, and exaggerated reactions are ridiculously over the top, but isn’t this the manga way? The show knows exactly what its predominant strong points are: the story and characters.

Although predominantly headlined by the fabulously melodic voice of Marina Inoue and her inner monologues, all of the vocal cast are superb. Ren's deep voice will set knees a trembling as the seiyuu for Haji from Blood+ gives an astonishing amount of depth to a typically stereotyped character.

Although I usually detest fluffy, romantic j-pop bile, the soundtrack found a special place in my heart. Fun and upbeat, the audio is another part of Skip Beat that goes to emphasise the stronger sections of the show.

Kyoko, I love you. Kyoko, I adore you. Kyoko, I want to *be* you. Never before have I felt such empathy as that for Skip Beat's leading lady. Her refusal to simply roll over or bow down to the guy running her life makes a nice change from much of the harem anime to have recently graced our screens. Fun, spunky and very realistic, Kyoko should be crowned a modern day heroine for her ability to deal with beautiful boys without becoming too distracted. I don’t think my resolution would be that strong...

Sho and Ren are the token eye-candy, but prove they have actual substance underneath their delicious exteriors. As the utterly detestable ex-love interest, Sho plays the perfect antagonist. You hate him, and yet his performance in the dark moon arc will have all female viewers wondering if an animated character, of all things, is single. Ren is much more complicated, though sadly was cut off in his prime by the abrupt series finale. His profession that he has never loved anyone else could have produced some serious romance, but I guess those in charge felt this side of him was better saved for a second season.

Overall

It’s not big and it’s not clever, but neither does it claim to be. Skip Beat instead presents itself with an open armed honesty that is completely disarming and justifies the loyal following. Simply put: don’t let the overenthusiastic fanboys dissuade you, as this really is an excellent example of entertainment from the twenty-first century. Girls will love the sexy boys and gutsy female lead, whilst guys will enjoy much of the in-your-face comedy and realistic relationships.

All place your hands together and join me in prayer to the anime God to bless us with a second season and beyond...

8.5/10 characters
roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Nov 8, 2012

I like shows that mess with the formula of their genres instead of rehashing the same old stuff; it helps them to be more unique and memorable. Such a case is Skip Beat, which I came to view as a shojo with balls.

The twist comes from the very beginning, when the story begins right where almost any shojo usually ends; the hunk in the series has already admitted his love to the heroine and they are now beginning a steady relationship while living together. They even left high school and are now working for a living. Following their archetype, the hunk becomes a fashion model in order to make use of his mangaka inborn given gift, while the heroine becomes a minor worker and a housewife. Because that is what ideal women do. Anyways, tragedy strikes when the heroine finds out her lover boy doesn’t really love her and just tolerates her because she cleans and cooks for him, notions that are beyond his bishonen understanding. He even goes as far as saying he did her a favour since she is too useless to be anything other than his sperm dumpster… Ok, he actually said “maid” but he might as well have said the other thing. It’s not hard to imagine an erotic maid “servicing” you anyway you like, is it?

The twist comes again when the typical shojo heroine, instead of starting to cry and beginning a long story full of heartbreaking drama, tears and misery until she finds a new love and purpose in life… gets all furious and vows to humiliate him in his own game: By becoming a fashion model even more famous and lovable than him. Well thank goodness he wasn’t working as a gigolo because that would be too much…

After this more than unorthodox beginning, we now have a show that is in a way a monument to feminism. Instead of the frail heroine who can’t stop crying, living in a kitchen and being in constant need of a prince to save her, we have a dynamic woman who vows to grow bigger balls than her ungrateful chauvinistic pig and show him who the real boss here is. Nice going missy! I will never want as a wife a neurotic shemale like you, but nevertheless nice going!

After that comes yet another twist as she seeks to become a pop idol with her only motivation being vengeance. I must say this is far catchier than the overused “because it is what I always wanted to do all my life” type of excuse all motivational shows have. It is just too distant and impersonal to get attached to it. Earthbound, carnal, petty driven emotions on the other hand are far easier to understand and sympathise, such as in this case where the protagonist doesn’t want to be the best in the world “just because”. She wants to become the best so she can go S&M on the chauvinistic pig’s ego. Nice!

For some reason this anime is like a combo of pop idol show biz with fighting shonen. It is still about the harsh road to fame and glory with hard guts and training, with revenge being the ulterior motive, like in most fighting shows where the hero wants out of spite to surpass his father or elder brother. Only in this case it’s a pig of a man’s ego. OINK!

Anyways, this is mostly a comedy than a social drama of hard reality and as such one should not expect to see a very realistic plot. It makes fun of shojo stereotypes and is full of puns and metaphorical imagery around disappointment, misery, and vengeance. The amount of detail and colours is good although it overdoes it with the SD looking characters, as almost half the show finds them looking chibi and silly, doing some allegory in a dream state. Not bad but surely overdone to the point it feels like they are trying to save money and dumb down the plot as much as possible. The soundtrack is also nothing amazing; just nice pop songs you will hear a few times and forget by the next day. Pop music has that effect.

On the other hand the comedy part is good, provided you are fond of the specific type of humour it implements. It is always following a theme and revolves around the heroines’ neurotic temperament, supreme determination, forward attitude with zero pretence, and her dead-set aim to succeed in the name of making mince meat of the guy’s genitals. It also shows how she still has her frail side, how she only wanted a simple life with her dearest and how her entire upbringing prepared her for a lifestyle that rejected her despite not doing anything wrong. I mean she left her family and friends and even sacrificed her school diploma that would help her find a better job in the future just to help the guy she loves in his aim to become a fashion model. She threw everything away for him and THAT is how he treats her??? I must say I could feel her pain and even excuse her despair that led to her attitude. Do you know how it’s like to write a half-a-million word sci-fi story for years and have it being rejected by everybody just because they don’t read books or don’t like the genre or no publishing company is willing to pay for the printing expenses because of the economic crisis? Yeah shemale, show them what you got and write hundreds of anime reviews that mock the fandom!

… Oh, kinda drifted off to my own problems, didn’t I? Hm, shows how well the heroine managed to make me identify with her worries. And that is why I like her so much. I will even call her by her name hereon just to show my respect for her despite being a shojo protagonist. Her name is Kyouko.

Unfortunately, this is a one man (or better say one woman) show; it can only keep you interested for a certain amount of time. Only Kyouko is a great character while all the rest are almost caricatures with simplistic personalities which to the most part are used only as plot devises to stomp or aid in her goal. The plot is also very easy going and it is even full of convenience, as she keeps bumping into the most improbable scenarios that end up helping her take the next step, even when her attitude seems to be completely inappropriate for a pop idol or anything that has to do with public image in general. She is just too cranky yet they keep forgiving her and giving her extra chances or secondary means to move forward. Well I am not into show biz but I know well how hard it is to be accepted into anything unless you are super beautiful or have some big shot as a relative. Why is Kyouko, a girl with zero connections and who didn’t even finish high school been given all these chances? Despite the attempt to show how the bizness people are fond of her strong character and get emotionally motivated to help her, I ensure you that in reality critics and judges and firm members are highly cynical and apathetic. If they weren’t, their company would be overrun with mediocrities and they would flop. I couldn’t convince myself how she kept on having the Devil’s luck or how she kept making everybody around her to like her so fast even when she acted all clumsy or neurotic. But then again this is a shojo story and it is rather granted that the heroine is supposed to be the incarnation of Buddha that manages to bring joy and hope to everybody around her just for being… her. Furthermore, the story is ending up outlasting your interest from a point on as the initial feeling starts to wear off and the plot slows down or makes circles. Furthermore a whole season worth of episodes later, the anime ends openly and I hear the manga is five times longer further on. Well how the hell can that keep you interested when one season was already stretching it more than it should? They overdid it there.

Anyways, it is not a bad shojo and I recommend it to all the fans of the genre. It’s just that the story will most likely disappoint everybody and the support cast is very passable. Did someone like me who is not into shojo enjoy it? Yes, for awhile. I even loved the heroine. Her name is Kyouko. Yet my interest was progressively lowering because of the almost aimless plot and the open ending. It is not a masterpiece as the ratings will probably make you think but it is still an above average show.

… and her name is Kyouko.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 7/10
General Artwork 1/2 (generic)
Character Figures 1/2 (typical)
Backgrounds 2/2 (basic but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 2/2 (crazy Kyouko fantasies)

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (erratic)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 0/2 (doesn’t exist)

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Presence 2/2 (perky and dynamic)
Personality 2/2 (well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)
Catharsis 0/2 (doesn’t exist)

VALUE SECTION: 6/10
Historical Value 2/3 (famous as a shoujo)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too little plot)
Memorability 3/4 (nice twist to the usual formula)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
Art 0/1 (looks typical)
Sound 0/2 (sounds meh)
Story 1/3 (good idea but light presentation)
Characters 2/4 (the heroine is great, the rest are passable)

VERDICT: 5.5/10

5.5/10 overall
Etue's avatar By Etue on Dec 22, 2014

Skip Beat

Skip beat is an anime that is quite involving. The premise isn't anything that most people can relate to. It is actually quite ridiculous. The progress made within the story is rather rapid at first and you start thinking that it might reach it's conclusion before really diving in deep enough to leave much of an impression. The anime itself takes place in the present the few flashbacks are mostly redundant and are only there to set the atmosphere while revealing very little in terms of history for these characters. We simply glance at the surface of what made them who they are and the anime continues like this never diving deeper into the past and leaving much to the watchers imagination. The characters being who they are in the present is represented well but the exploration of these characters is mostly left to the main characters. While at first it seems like the anime will not do so this is very much central in it's premise. The at times feels like it is progressing to fast but for better or worse the feeling like significant progress is being made each episode fades when we progress into the final arc.

The anime starts out focussing on a girl named Kyoko the female lead of the show. A perfect Japanese woman with supposedly average looks who doesn't wear make-up because of her limited budget. In the first episode she loses her reason raison d'etre which leads to an epiphany which leads her life into a whole new direction as she heads out to be a Star or Idol on a quest for vengeance on he who has wronged her. Along the way she encounters a number of characters and hurdles. Her initial lack of visual appeal and background in this world are only overcome by sheer determination. While some need to pick her up she still fights on. Where she ends up originally isn't a place she looked to be however she is determined to make most of it. Along her way toward the top she makes a friend , begrudgingly identifies her mentor and finds a new reason to continue all while facing several setbacks helped by either bad luck or her own clumsiness. The conclusiveness of this story is up for debate in the end as the pacing of this anime was certainly not bad it spends a lot of time on the last arc that I feel could have been used for closure rather than leaving it mostly up to imagination on what happens next.

Two of the characters are mostly worth mentioning both Kyouko and her mentor receive a lot of attention. However also Sho and Mokou receive their own chapters or subchapters. The characters are varied. Kyouko's character is certainly the most lively displaying an array of emotions perhaps forgoing consistent characterization but toward the last quarter of the anime the watchers certainly comprehends the character as one being led by impulse and emotion rather than playing a role or façade something she has learned to hate thanks to her origin. It makes sense therefore to life on impulses and emotions. Her eventual mentor Tsuruga gets his own focus toward the end of the anime but doesn't forgo characterization prior to this. In fact his characterization is very flat yet consistent till the final arc. Sho is expanded upon as an individual but doesn't feel extremely consistent but this is intentional as he is in conflict with himself toward the middle and end of the anime he is protrayed as a conflicted confrontation character. Mokou serves are a character most utilized in the opening arcs and then fading into the background. Her character is not the most consistent of them all. Prideful as she seems to be it seems to contradict her initial state but that might well be shattered due to her own personal rival. As her arc ends her inclusion does somewhat whither into unimportance despite reminders that she is there she is mostly an anchor to Kyouko toward the end of the anime, important as a character still.

The voice work on Kyouko is terrific needing to do a lot of different voices to voice her emotions or simply because the situation asked for it. Mokou comes across as she is characterized to be which is considerable due to her background. Other characters don't leave as much of an impression. Sho displays a lot of emotion and it was captured well but Tsuruga's character is mostly flat till the ending arc, an enjoyable character but his personality doesn't unveil much in the way of voiced emotion, kind of ironic for an actor. The opening and ending theme however wasn't to my tastes so I cannot judge them for the pieces of music and animation they are. They simply didn't contribute much to my watching expererience.

Visual

The style of animation is fine the artstyle is a bit more messy than most would be accustomed to but it quickly fades into the background while you watch this series. It does however love using very long faces that where popular in a certain era of shoujo. The anime does show it is from a few years back as my sample was rather fuzzy in comparison to modern animation but the anime opens up a bit weaker in animation than it is toward the end. The animation however is mostly smooth with great transitions between styles used in the anime getting emotions across quite nicely and adding to the humour. Expressions are dealt with quite nicely as well despite the faces being as long as they are most of the time. There are a few slip up's but nothing that would kill this series.

Overall

It is a good series that starts out with a wild ride and keeps the viewer deeply involved. Iit has a somewhat conclusive ending which could have been better but doesn't destroy this anime. In fact one could see it as an inventive or original way of ending the anime. If you don't demand that an anime ties all the knots at the end of it's run this series is certainly worth watching for the comedy but it terms of romance I wouldn't say it's examplar as it was always mostly on the background and hinted toward rather than conclusively stated for most of it's run.

FreddyCrab's avatar By FreddyCrab on Dec 4, 2011

Story: Mentioned in my previous review of Nana, showbiz anime really don't appeal to me. I find them incredibly dull and predictable- so I wasn't expecting much from Skip Beat! despite it being hailed one of the best Shoujo animes out there. I was actually pleasantly suprised- Skip Beat! IS actually quite impressive.

The first episode of this anime easily separates it from other anime of its kind. Kyoko, a girl who religiously worships her boyfriend Sho, finds out he has used her all her life as somewhat of a maid who tends to his every whim. Instead of a typical Shoujo heroine, who either has a deeply over-the-top internal monologue about it and eventually forgives him, Kyoko actually shows to have a good brain and screams at Sho, promising she will get revenge on him and make him wish he were dead. With that she dyes her hair, changes her last name, changes her voice and voila! She's out on her way to start a new life and beat Sho at the one thing he's good at- being in the showbiz business.

Admittedly, after the first 2 or 3 episodes I got a little bored though, from about episode 3 to episode 14 I found it a drag to keep watching- the storyline was all filler and without much progression in them- but thankfully from episode 15 onwards it drastically improved to gain a suprising ending.

Sadly, Skip Beat! is one of them animes though, used just to advertise the manga. It has no ending to it, no significant plot developments, its just there so you can watch it, then realise ''Oh, theres no ending? I guess I'll have to read the manga then''

Animation: One of my favourite animes just to look at. Skip Beat!'s animation is very good and it is indeed pleasant to look at, especially for the characters.

Sound: Not particularly that noticeable, the music was nice- but no way brilliant. The first ending was amazing, but other than that it was just average.

Characters: Kyoko was the best character for definite. Her very unique personality of being the protagonist, yet still being a evil girl with malevolent spirits surrounding her, is much better than the typical, weak-hearted ''Oh god I'm gonna faint again'' Shoujo heroine.

Sho was interesting as well, as you hate him, but somehow still end up liking him- seeing his progression throughout the series was a intrigueing thing and even though he doesn't exactly get revenge force-fed to him, hes still a good character to watch.

Ren was ok. He didn't really become likeable to me till about episode 15, before that he just walked around with a constant expression on his face of -______________-

Overall: For saying I ususally despise anime like this, I actually fairly liked this. No way enough to rewatch it, but enough to feel quite glad I watched it in the first place and hope for a season 2.

8.5/10 story
nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Jan 23, 2010

Story: I loved the story except for the ending. Be warned, the ending is awful. It is not satisfying and, at the very least, feels more like the conclusion for the last episode instead of the series as a whole. There are many loose ends and so much left open ended. However, that was my only issue. The plot is engaging and fun. The drama and humor was placed in the right place and in right quantities. Good romance as well. The dialog is hilarious at times and so are the other little quirks.

Animation: I was not a fan of the male character designs in general such as Ren, Shotaro, and Ren's manager but that was a personal preference. Ren and Shotaro did not strike me as attractive as they should have been but I don't like the long face look. However, Ren as a chibi is the cutest thing. As for Kyoko, I loved her look as well as the other females. The colors were bright and backgrounds and costumes were colorful. Kyoko's demon and other personal expressions were</script> <script src="../../../../js/tiny_mce/plugins/webmedia/langs/en.js" type="text/javascript"></script> amazing. I'm a big fan of the animation.

Sound: The music was nice, not spectacular, but nice and it was played at the right moments. Voice actors were amazing and played their roles to the tee. The first opening was generic but the ending was phenomenal. It flipped for the second opening and ending. The lyrics for the second fit but the music was pretty generic.

Characters: Hands down, the characters are the best part. Kyoko is one of my favorite females for a shojo. She is endearing and lovable. Her character is clearly developed and developed well. The other characters are just as lovable except Shotaro of course.

Overrall: I would give it a higher score but the end slightly killed it for me. However, I would recommend this for anybody and I greatly enjoyed watching this.

7.5/10 sound