Shadow Star Narutaru

Alt titles: Narutaru

sothis's avatar By on Dec 31, 2004

It should be said that regardless of the description, Narutaru has two very distinct sections to it (that aren't really integrated at all, for that matter). The first 7-8 episodes revolve around Shiina and Akira with their dragonets, and the web of destruction and death they are drawn into because of them. Sound dark? IT IS. What's funny is that the first episode makes you think something totally different. I watched episode 1 and remember coming away from it thinking this would be a light series, perhaps slice of life. In the episode, Shiina finds Hoshimaru on the beach, and that's about it. Unfortunately for her, it just goes downhill from there. This section of the series is incredibly violent and messed up, in more ways than one. We see tons of death (in gruesome ways), but the main thing that makes it disturbing is the contrast of how the characters (and dragonets) look in comparison to how incredibly evil they are. Think Alien Nine -- the monsters looked VERY cute, but also were incredibly destructive and cruel when used for evil purposes. We see a cute flower looking dragonet flying through the air with a cute expression, that then destroys planes, impales people, etc. I really think that's what makes Narutaru so disturbing: you are disarmed by the appearances of the characters.

Anyways, the last few episodes COMPLETELY switch gears (a terrible transition, I might add) and become a schoolkid drama of sorts, except very messed up. It mainly involves one particular girl who is friends with Shiina, a girl who is bullied incredibly for being smart. I will say that episode 12 is easily THE MOST MESSED UP EPISODE I have *ever* seen, out of any series or movie, including real movies. There are actually two really horrible scenes in this episode. Prior to watching this, I remember when episode 12 was viewed by the general public, and everyone kept freaking out about how shocking it was. When I watched it, I saw the first of the two things (which is horrible as it is), and thought "oh wow, that's what they were talking about". Little did I know that there was a second and absolutely horrifying event that had yet to happen! The series ends, well, without an end, and leaves you feeling very unsatisfied. Supposedly it only covers a small bit of the manga.
You know, many people complained about the character designs of Narutaru, but I enjoyed them. Rather than designing way-too-endowed high school (or even grade school) students, who are all beauty queens, Narutaru opted for the more natural look. Lanky kids who don't have huge chests, and in general, are just, normal. They definitely did tend to have a fairly anorexic look, but most kids do tend to be on the thinner side at age 11 or so. Animation-wise, I really enjoyed the colors and imagery used, even in the super violent parts. The dragonets were especially stunning. Bright, vivid colors were used for pretty much everything, which made it interesting to watch visually. The violence scenes were especially.. violent, with many of the excessive scenes being fairly censored or shown at a strange angle, so the full force wasn't viewable. In general, I think the animation of Narutaru was a strong point.
The intro song, as mentioned before, really does nothing to show you how insanely demented this series is. Most of the rest of the music is very mood-oriented, and fitting. The (few) happy times, upbeat and fun music was played. During the tense/violent scenes, the feel of the music was very eerie and chilling. Definitely stayed in the background, but was still noticable... which is a plus in my book. The voice acting was fine for everyone.
The two main characters of the series are Shiina and Akira. For both, we see into their pasts and understand why they act the way we do, and thus, there was character development. In addition to them, we are introduced to other more evil characters that truly come across as chilling, to say the least. For the first 7-8 episodes, there are a number of "bad kids" who control the evil dragonets. These kids are KIDS, just like Shiina and Akira, and yet they display such cruelty. There are a number of relationships that are going on, many extremely dysfunctional, and in general the characters are very disarming, just like the animation style. One of the evil characters in particular comes across like ice... he is nice to Akira and Shiina, but we know how devious and downright scary he is. Behind the scenes, he causes a great deal of devastation and loss of human lives.

The relationships in the second part of the series are even more disturbing, because we see a poor young girl who doesn't know what to do. She's chastised by her parents if she doesn't get perfect scores on all her assignments and tests, yet she answers questions wrong on purpose so she isn't beaten up and ridiculed by all of the HORRIBLY cruel kids at school. Two kids in particular, a girl and her brother, are the ringleaders of the abuse, and you definitely end up hating them.

In general, the characters are chilling and disarming, and very well done in my opinion.
Overall
This rating was really hard to give. If it wasn't for the fact that this has no ending and resolves nothing (since it, like many others, is the intro to the manga), and/or the really heavy violence/messed up scenes near the end, I would have given this series a very high score. I like things that seem wrong or are "bad". I like crazy amounts of violence with weird monster/robot looking things. I like beautiful animation with bright colors and different character design. But Narutaru is something you probably should only watch once, and then will be too disturbed to watch it again. ;)

It is unfortunate, I think, that things like this make you need to read the manga... because I don't like having to do that (and I don't). For those of you that are manga readers, perhaps you wouldn't mind watching this so much, since you can see where it leaves off.

In general, I think this is a good watch, but ONLY for people who are OK with seeing very disturbing things, like watching dark/really violent/lots of death series, and/or are sick in the head. (I must be the latter ;) )

Check it out, just be forewarned...
7.5/10 story
7.5/10 animation
SadisticTendencies's avatar By on Dec 16, 2012

Story: 7/10

When discussing the story of Narutaru it would be wise to begin with addressing the lack of a proper ending; just like Berserk the show ends right in the middle of things leaving viewers with more questions than answers. As fatal as this can be, the final product still managed to strike me as nicely scripted which is a priceless virtue when it comes to something so bizarre. What makes it so bizarre you might wonder, and the answer lies in the first episode setting the stage for a calm slice-of-life where our protagonist finds and befriends a cutesy pokémonesque creature. What follows, however, is a dark psychological tale of gruesome slaughter and some of the less charming aspects of human emotions in a grotesque mixed bag of adorable creatures and genital mutilation. Not convinced?

Well, except for a few side stories that aren’t really necessary with the abrupt ending in mind the show remains relevant and neatly paced featuring both battles between the destructive “dragon’s children” and clever dialogue. Lots of threads remain loose and it might even be appropriate to say that the entire show is more like a commercial for the manga, but even so I feel like the main storyline and all its pros is far above average in its execution.

Animation: 6.5/10

Character designs are very simplistic but nicely enhanced with bright colors in similar fashion to the background scenery. You sometimes forget that what you’re watching is by no means a children’s cartoon, but rest assured, you will be reminded constantly with scene after scene of gruesome violence. It never really shows the malicious murders in explicit detail, which is definitely a good decision since the show does unspeakable things to its preteen characters.

Most of the battles are somewhat unimpressive since the budget definitely doesn’t allow for much fluid movement. I still found that the visual direction had some pretty clever ideas on how to depict scenes of danger or depression which left me ultimately satisfied with the animation despite some flaws.

Sound: 8/10

Narutaru comes with a very minimalistic soundtrack. Much like Boogiepop Phantom it relies more on very eerie and unconventional sound effects that boost the atmospheric value to very intense heights. Occasionally, the bizarre sounds are replaced with jolly and more lighthearted tunes for a change of pace which is much appreciated.

Voice acting is not a problem at all with capable actors managing to pull off the more emotional moments with splendor.

Characters: 7.5/10

Some of the villainous motivations aren’t really expanded upon very much due to the limited time and you don’t always know why a person wants to take a specific course of action. Other than that, the character development of the show surprised me with decent amounts of depth and interesting trauma.

The main character herself is a somewhat bland girl but her friendliness alone grants her a very important and appreciated spot amongst a cast of dysfunctionals. Throughout the course of 13 episodes you will witness very young characters doing very repulsive things to each other as they try to come to terms with their pasts and hideous emotions; as well as the occasional outburst of suicidal thoughts and depression. I sincerely hope I haven’t failed to emphasize just how dark this show can get.

One thing that surprised me was the inconsistency in tone. In one episode the main characters witnessed the slaughter of countless individuals. They were admittedly scarred and even broke down in tears, but in the next episode they went fishing… it seemed to me like they overcame the horrible things they saw way too quickly but it might just be nitpicking.

Overall: 7/10

I really wish there was more to this show. If it had ended properly and kept up the same quality in writing as the first 13 episodes it would definitely be standing amongst my favorites.

On most anime databases, Narutaru tends to be scored somewhat lowly which comes as a great surprise to me. The psychological depth might not reach the same level as, say, Evangelion, but at least it skipped philosophical nonsense and visual pretension. I’d recommend this to anyone searching for a disturbing tale with terrific writing and an interesting insight into darker realms of the mind.

6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters
thegoldenwaste's avatar By on Feb 19, 2011

Welcome to my second review on Anime-Planet, as always comments and reviews on my review will be appreciated appreciated. Please enjoy the following review on Shadow Star Narutaru, it felt weak in some areas but in others it was very strong. That said, here's the review and thanks for reading it.

Story; The synopsis and tags should be a pretty clear indication of what the series is about. It's pretty bloody, disturbing and not for the weak. I've seen some disturbing anime before but this is definitely near the top of the best. My initial reaction was "Aw, this series is so cute and wonder-- OH MY, WHAT THE HECK" and I felt deceived but they had hooked me. The only complaint I can say I had about the series was the ending. I was satisfied but it could have easily gone into my favorites. One can always pray that another season or remake comes through, but I highly doubt such a thing can and will occur.

Animation; The animation is pretty weak when compared to other anime series that came out in 2003. There is not much that can really be said about the animation. It's not really unique in any way, shape or form. If it was, I am sure I could say more about it. It was just boring quality and style. That is really all you about this series' animation. Booorrrrring.

Sound; There is really only one word to describe Narutaru's soundtrack and that word is sinister. Spine-tingling and intense at times, the background music is the most powerful asset this anime has to offer. I would say Narutaru is second to Boogiepop Phantom in the background music area. The opening song looks pretty friendly and cute but when you read the lyrics of the full song, it is really scary stuff. As for the ending song, it is also a catchy song but it's also very sinister in its own way much like the opening.

Characters; The characters are another strong point. Each of the characters have serious issues that I will not begin to spoil. Deep down, these are all weak people but they hide behind this strong facade. The characters are still kids and naturally, kids have issues. These kids see things that nobody should see. Death, murder, mayhem and the like. Hoshimaru is pretty darn cute and some of the monsters are downright ugly or disturbing. The character designs are pretty generic but the monsters are an unique breed all their own.

Overall; In conclusion, while being weak in the animation department and an acceptable and satisfactory story, Narutaru is still worth watching. It's a dark, disturbing and twisted tale that hit all the right notes for me for the most part. There are two things I look for in a great anime - style and substance. You might be the same way. Narutaru may not have the style, but it does have the substance. If you are looking for a strong character piece, this should be worth looking into at the very least.

8.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
8.8/10 overall
Gzerble's avatar By on Feb 15, 2015

There are plenty of ways to go about deconstruction of genres, and it is not an easy thing to do right. Evangelion tries and fails to give value to the deconstruction of the mecha genre, while Madoka succeeds spectacularly with the magical girl. As such, Narutaru is a mixed bag of messed up and plain disturbing in the deconstruction of the family friendly monster shows. I'll be gentle when I say that the creators have a deep loathing of human nature, and express it very clearly.

It is a monster show with all the makings of the family friendly type, but don't let that fool you. Not a single character is unscathed from cutting criticism into all forms of people. Nice people get their ugly side dragged out for the world to see, charming people get shown to be just as ugly as everyone else, the meek are shown to be just as monstrous as everyone else when they have power, and the people that are bullied into darkness are not exempt from the darkness becoming part of who they are.

There are no happy endings. Not for anyone. The monsters don't solve anything, they just show who their users are. There is nothing elegant or beautiful about how they fight. And the worst part is when you finally figure out how and why each monster is connected to a human. They don't say it outright, but the last few episodes clarify a lot of the series for you in that way.

Of course, I will have to mention the episode. If you've heard Narutaru is messed up, it is because of that one episode. Well, it's there. And it is not easy. I heard that it caused quite the uproar, with a mass of people raging at the show on many levels. Allow me to say that it is quite understandable. It isn't graphic, but there are some harsh happenings. Not for people who can't stomach terrible things.

Writing (Story and Characters):

Do you know that famously creepy Pokemon fan theory that the main character is in a coma, which explains why he never ages and basically half of the things that don't make sense in the show? Many people will say that the writing of Narutaru isn't good. Well, it actually is rather interesting, and has that kind of creepy story built in. The first ten chapters raise a lot of questions (why? how?), and the last three give the (very) disturbing answers.

You'd never guess where Narutaru was going from the start. There are a lot of small arcs, with a semi-episodic structure that raises three questions (well, two and a half), and finally answers them (well, half answers, but you can figure out the other half). Unsurprisingly, this sounds familiar to anyone who watched Higurashi - the questions first, half-answers later structure of that show is an evolution of this. While in themselves, the arcs rely a bit too much on the animation to deliver (it doesn't), they are still interesting and give time for the characters to develop.

Narutaru has a cast that is a hatchet job on human nature. They get to develop, they get their backstories, and they all have resolutions of sorts. But dear god, is this an uncomfortable bunch of people. Every single person in the show is a killer, in one way or the other. There is not a single exception... and the nicer they are, the harder they must fall in order to do that. There is not much subtlety in the characters. You aren't supposed to like them very much. And no, not one of these characters belongs in a family friendly show except the people you see only in the first episode.

Overall, the writing manages a thorough deconstruction of the family friendly monster genre. Narutaru is not the pinnacle of deconstructive works, but is also well above the abject failures that most of those are. Story and characters combine to tell a chilling tale of murderous intents and the dark underbelly of adolescent psychology.

Art (Animation and Sound):

I'll be the first to say that the artwork of Narutaru has aged horribly. The animation is stilted and at times grating, the sound effects cheesy and outdated. It feels like it was made in 1993, not 2003. And yet, there is some redemption. Still, it has to be pointed out that the artwork (and especially the animation) is the weakest point of the show.

Visually, Narutaru is unimpressive. The character designs do have one thing going for them: no one tried to make anyone idealized. Children are lanky, bony, no one has model curves, and so on. The characters are distinct and each has their own look. The backgrounds themselves are not diverse nor technically all that good, but fit the show's purpose. Everything has a (somewhat) redeeming feature until you get to depictions of movement. Considering that movement is perhaps the most important thing in animation, this complete catastrophe cannot be ignored.

I will say that the soundtrack (excluding the opening theme) is a magnificent fit for the show. It tends to be a tad minimalist, but overall sets the mood just right, and does so especially well in the more light hearted scenes. Also, there is clever use of ambient noise to replace silence in order to keep a more tense edge to the going ons when needed. The voice acting is rather good, though not spectacular in any way. The main fault of the sound in Narutaru is the effects. Cheesy, out of place at times (unforgivable in the modern era), and overall draw attention away from the screen. Still, it's only effects and the opening theme (which is a ripoff of a semi-famous song, and completely out of character for the show) are minor details overall, and while the flaws are big in those two, the audio section is strong overall.

One would wish that giving Narutaru some credit for the art would be possible. But really, the movement of characters is so terrible that it takes away a whole lot from the series. Perhaps us viewers have been spoiled since. That still doesn't change the fact that the problems with the animation are what hinders the show from truly being a top notch show.

Overall:

You aren't supposed to enjoy Narutaru. And I didn't. What I did was find it thought provoking and disturbing at times. Going so far as to say it is a great show is too much, but it is a good show with terrible animation. If you feel like human nature being not only criticized but torn to shreds, give Narutaru a shot.

hellhammer6789's avatar By on Dec 22, 2014

So this is my second review ever, let’s get going!

BE WARNED

Narutaru is an anime that I got as an option in the «secret santa» game held on anime planet. I looked up this anime and it quickly got me interested. Just keep in mind that this anime is NOT for children. Do not let the first episode and the opening (which I will get to later) fool you. I have watched my fair share of horror in anime and Narutaru is probably the one that has made me feel the most uncomfortable. It has it all; brutal violence inflicted on both adults and children alike, implied rape, Psychological breakdowns, VERY dark theme and atmosphere, sadists, despair, some of the worst bullying I have ever seen and just a lot of crazy things sane people wouldn't do. If any of this turns you off, you should drop this show. For others this show should be a suspenseful and twisted ride.

A heads up: I will be mentioning things like "twisted" and "disturbing" a fair few times. When I say that I'm refering to one of the things above in one way or another. If you wanna know exactly what I'm refering to every time I think that alone merits enough of a reason to give the show a try.

STORY

Akira Sakura and Shiina Tamai looks like your ordinary school girls. This only lasted until Shiina found a creature called a «Dragonet», who she later named Hoshimaru. From there on everything goes to shit for both of them and stuff starts hitting the fan. Throughout the series they will encounter several people with their own dragonet’s, all of them having their own design and powers. Some of these people will help them out, while others will try to slaughter both Akira and Shiina while chasing their own twisted goals. With such a thrilling ride, it really is a shame there isn’t much of an ending. However, if you live by the words «it’s the journey that counts» then you are gonna have a good time.

CHARACTERS

There are many twisted people in Narutaru and most of them are children. Remember all those things I mentioned under «BE WARNED»? Think about it when you hear that most of the twisted people are kids. Our main characters Shiina and Akira had some backstory (which I will not spoil) that helps us understand them better. I would say that Shiina is one of the more sane people in the show, except for a few occasions. You can’t say the same for Akira. She is practically broken; always looks afraid, stays in her room all day and eventually started skipping school. Seeing people get killed and being threatened on her life takes a heavy toll on her. Despite the fact that some of these characters help out Shiina and Akira, some of them are also killing other people. This creates a little conflict, they are helping Shiina and Akira, but they are still murdering people. Like or not to like?

Character interactions only gets more and more disturbing. With this I’m particularly referring to some bullying incidents happening at the school Shiina and Akira attends. A poor girl has to go through some absolutely horrendous scenarios. This all at the hands of a few insane classmates, where a couple of them are really enjoying themselves. It’s all very twisted and anger inducing.

ANIMATION

What I really like about this show is the fact that it does not look refined. It's like a diamond in the mud. Colors are often dark and gloomy which suits the show really well. Character designs has more round shapes and looks more natural than those sharp and pretty shows we see so often. It feels really refreshing, but those is a bit of an acquired taste. Most of the kids looks a bit too thin, but I guess it is normal for kids around the ages of 11-12. The animation itself (obviously) can’t match today’s standards, but it still looks nice when it has to and you really can’t ask for more than that from a horror anime. I’ve gotta talk about the opening. The opening is a stark contrast to the actuall show. All the colors are bright, everyone are portrayed as some chibi paper like figures and are just doing silly and cute things. What is really fun is seeing how some of these cute things that happens in the opening is are possible to tie up to something that has or will happen in the show. The opening is both cute and smart, but also twisted if you are able to connect it to what is happening in the show. The ending theme mostly consists of pictures of the characters floating about and a little bit of video towards the end.

SOUND

The soundtrack of Narutaru often shifts between being lighthearted and gloomy. While the lighthearted music sounds like the typical music you’ll find in a regular slice of life show, it does it’s job well enough. The gloomy part of the soundtrack is great. It serves as a BIG asset for the serious and despair riddled scenes, which there are a very big amount of. It’s also good at helping the suspense build up. All in all it's a great part of the soundtrack. The soundtrack consists of 30 songs and they are split around 50-50 between lighthearted and gloomy. The song for the opening suits everything which is happenig in the opening’s theme and animation. It is really hard to get the song out of your head once it sticks, it’s a really nice song though, when you get used to it. The song in the ending is also really nice. It might not suit the show perfectly, but it’s really pretty.

I chose to watch the show subbed, so I can’t say anything about the dub. The sub however, is really good. The voices fit the characters really well and suits the many twisted personalities perfectly.

IN CONCLUSION

This is a show that any anime and horror fan owe themselves to watch. It is dark, grim, downright twisted and full of suspense. It really is sad that this show is so underrated. Narutaru is truly a hidden gem and one I won’t forget any time soon. I will give this show a 16+ age rating and not any lower. While the rape was only implied and the violence is not directly shown for the most part, it’s still more than enough to rule out anyone under the age of 16. Now, if you are any interested at all get out there and watch it, it’s worth you time!

That ends my second review and I will keep looking forward to my next!