Seitokai Yakuindomo

AngelBeatsYui's avatar By on Dec 28, 2014

Warning this Review may and probably will contain spoilers-

Another one of my amazing reviews this time for the really perverted anime Seitokai Yokuindomo. This anime, well it follows the story of Tsuda a male high school boy who gets into a recently converted girls school (converted into a co-ed). From there he is forced to join the student council and manages to get himself into a lot of trouble with the other main characters Shino, Aria and Suzu. Plus many other characters who end up getting involved with the main characters, what you would expect from an anime like this.

STORY:

The story was just short comedy sketches like in Nichijou and Lucky Star. However this time the majority of the scenes involved a sexual joke of some sort, and was somewhat disturbing….after a while I was just grossed out, the jokes weren’t amusing or funny at all after a while. If you took the sick jokes out of them then the anime would have been a decent light series any person would enjoy but this focused too much on the sexual content and it just didn’t appeal to me. The genres were pretty basic but at least they were clear, the main ones being sexual references and comedy.

ANIMATION:

The animation was very consistent and except a constant use of chibis there was nothing really wrong with it. However that constant use of chibis when they made jokes was overused slightly. The scenery has to be some of the best I have seem though and made up for the constant use of chibis.

SOUND:

The opening was pretty average, it was light and jumpy and the lyrics fitted the series quite well. The ending was less jumpy but still worked well with the series. I watched this series in subbed and from that I was surprised, in the end I thought that the characters voices worked really well together and on their own. The voice actors were picked quite well.

CHARACTERS:

The characters were probably the best thing about this show, even though they were very stereotypical. Shino was your classic strong student council leader but had a strange obsession about certain things. Tsuda, your ‘normal’ high school student who gets caught up in all of the chaos. Suzu the loli in the mix and Aria the posh rich kid who has a big chest, or as it is constantly shown T_T Other than that we had Hata, Kaede, Kotomi, Mutsumi and a maid.

In conclusion this show is just…..just so sexual and of course there are people who like that, so here you go and that is the end of this review.

-AngelBeatsYui-

6.5/10 characters
6.1/10 overall
Mystotakun's avatar By on Mar 18, 2013

At the time of writing this, I have written three reviews on this website, all of them having one thing in common; they are all comedies. Seitokai Yakuindomo is no expection to this matter.

When it comes to anime based around school life and the whole "moe" factor, I can't say I'm a huge fan of it. Yes, I enjoy watching both Lucky Star and K-On!, but they are the two expections to the matter...well, two of the three, I should say.

I'll say this right now, Seitokai isn't an anime that will appeal to everyone, that is a certain. In fact, when I heard about it, I thought I was going to hate it with a passion, only to be pleasently suprised after the first 3 episodes.

The "story" of SY (I can't be bothered to write the title out anymore) is similar to that of, the previously mentioned, Lucky Star, in the sense that there is no story. Just showing the various mishaps that the students get up to. Although, there is a tiny bit of a story. Takatoshi TSUDA moves into a Ousai Private Academy (a once popular all girls high-school which has recently become co-ed, allowing boys to join) for the sole reason that it is close to his house. Almost as soon as he steps through the gates, he is greeting by the Student Council; Shino AMAKUSA (the president), Aria SHICHIJOU (the secretary) and Suzu HAGIMURA (the treasurer). After a brief (and harsh) introduction to the school rules, Shino realises she has made Taka late and, as apologies, makes him the vice-president...and I use the term "makes him" very literally!

The rest of the show is simply following the mishaps of the student council, with some of the stereotypical episodes being included; the beach episode, the festival episode and the sports festival episode come in mind straight away. BUT! don't let that put you off, even though you may have seen it all before, you will be suprised how different it is when the (sort of) uniqueness of the characters come into play.

That's one thing I have yet to mention, and that is the humour of the show. In a nutshell, take any sentence (and I mean any sentence) and add a sexual twist to it, even if it doesn't make sense or not. There you go...you've got SY!

Now, I know that sex humour isn't everyone's cup of tea and to be honest, it's not mine, but it seems to have some weird effect, where it doesn't matter if you are not a fan of the humour or not, you WILL end up being a fan of it by the end! Oh...but if you feel awkward when women talk about their *ahem* monthly troubles and the necessary arrangements they need to take, then you'll probably feel awkward through a lot of this!

The four main characters are all pretty much the steroetype of a "moe" high-school show. You have the "normal" one - Taka. The one who tries to be serious but is, in fact, the most childish one - Shino. The airheaded ditz who everyone, guys and girls, love - Aria. And finally, the tsundere - Suzu. Each of these characters, while being typical in almost all high-school animes, feel fresh, simply due to how weird and, at times, how surreal the humour can get.

Some of the side characters are hilarious and really add a certain charm to the show. My personal favourites being; Naruko YOKOSHIMA, the perverted teacher, who would rather sleep around, than have to teach and Ranko HATA, a member of the Newspaper Club and runs around everywhere (literally) trying to find a good story (which usually involves a series of photos which are often misguided). While these characters aren't neccesary at all, the show would lose a lot of charm without them!

All in all, SY is an anime which has a specfic demographic; people who enjoy sex humour, innuedos, visual jokes and heightist jokes. Even though I'm not a fan of the first two, for seem reason I loved this to bits and will happily watch it, over and over again (just not in front of my mum...)

I highly recommend you watch it! After all, it's only 13 episodes, what have you got to lose?

Shino: I know what Takashi would want to lose!

Takatoshi: Please don't say anything...

Zura38's avatar By on Feb 27, 2011

Aria: What number are you?

Kotomi: 19!

The Girls: IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU...

Tsuda: Please shut the hell up!

- Episode 12

Seitokai Yakuindomo is about an average male student who just started school in all-girls-recently-changed-to-coed school. That said, you wouldn't expect a lot of males in the school and guess what? There isn't.

What's this? Definitely a perfect setting for a harem plot!

...That being said, it isn't. While the main cast does consist of only one male surrounded by God knows how many female characters (including his little sister), it isn't your typical "main guy tries to hookup with every main girl he sees". Or at least, there's a realistic boundary between them.

But what makes Seitokai (as I like to call it) differs from most slice-of-life, school genres because instead of giving us those overated fanservices, it a uh... has a tedency tell inappropriate jokes. Ah screw it, they tell ALOT of sex jokes in this series and the ones doing them are... the girls? Yep, that's right, the guy in this case acts as the tsukkomi instead and is parodied thourghout the whole thing.

Heck, they might as well call this "Sex Jokes: Anime ver."

Seeing as Seitokai originated from a 4 koma manga, the sequences are kept in simple order each episode. I really did enjoyed the subtitles that kept popping up for each story sequence. While you also have your typical school life, beach episode, and even a bath scene, I still enjoyed them (even though I was going "meh" beforehand).

Even so, each sequences are done well, and were very entertaining and funny. Even so, some jokes require some Japanese knowledge, but the sub guys covered that for you :)

At times it did feel a bit rushed, but hey, it's only 13 episodes after all...

9/10

Not the best, but it's still very good! From the backgrounds fitting very approriately to the current mood (usually for comedy) to weirdly made mosaics and whatnots when they describe something inappropriate.

I felt that the animation did stay true to the manga drawings though, so that's a huge plus too. Oh, and I even find the opening hillarious thanks to the "visual jokes" they put in there. :p

9/10

Uh well, I liked the opening song... and the soundtrack had a very cheerful mood to it which fitted most of the situation.

That said, I also enjoyed the little drum and whistle part each episode had before the opening.

9/10

This is probably what got me to really like it. We have the main character Tsuda, who is your average male student who is forced to join the student council because of the bossy Shino.

While Tsuda is allright, the girls were a huge plus. No, not because they give us fanservice, but as to how cool I consider them to be. Seriously, I sometimes hope more female characters could be like them. Shino is the prez of the club, my first impression? "Oh God, another tsundere..." but man... I was shocked as to how cool she was with her jokes.

Aria is your typical rich, ojousan, kind girl... until she starts talking that is. I don't think I've ever heard her not make a crude remark about you know what whenever I see her. Yes, I like them because of their jokes and personality, but the fact that Shino and Aria are voiced by Mio and Ritsu's seiyuu also helped.

Suzu is probably the true tsundere, and while I usually hate them, she's got me to like her as well. The fact that she can mentally AND physically pwn anyone helps too. Also, that scene with the American... XD

Other characters include Yokoshima sensei who is the useless, perverted teacher going after young boys (Awesome...), Tsuda's younger sister who is the best Sex Ed student out there, and Mitsuba... DAT VOICE!

10/10

Conclusion

I expected another Shuffle!/Clannad esque anime, but what I got was a faster paced Azumanga Daioh... which is awesome! But again, it all depends on our opinions, if you are easily offended by sex jokes (even though the girls are telling them) you probably want to stay away from this.

If you liked Azumanga, then you'd probably liked this as well. Fans of K-ON! should also watch this to see the other side of Mio and Ritsu in one shot!

This anime has managed to put a smile in my face every episode, so I easily recommend watching this for a fun/relaxing/witty experience. I recommend the manga too!

9.5/10

scizorg45's avatar By on Oct 10, 2010

Story 6/10

An all school girls turned co? All the girl being perverts (instead of the male students)? Oh boy, I got to watch this. (my train of thought reading the synopsis).

If you’re looking for a decent plot or a nice story, go somewhere else. Seitokai yakuindomo doesn’t have either of it. Seitokai yakuindomo is about an all-girls school turned co. The girls don’t really mind this though; it’s more like a dream come true for most of them. Through the whole series it’s one perverted joke after the other. Most of them you can see coming from a mile away, but they will make you laugh anyway.

Animation 7/10

The animation often switches between normal animation and chibi mode. Usually I don’t like it when there’s too much chibi in an anime, but with Seitokai yakuindomo I didn’t really mind. Perhaps it’s because I put my mind on blank while watching this (since I wasn’t expecting anything serious anyway).

Sound 8/10

One: The opening. I loved it. It made me happy. I listened it every episode, which I usually don’t do (most of the time, I listen to openings once or twice). It’s a happy joy song which put a smile on my face while the episode had barely started.

Two: The voice actors are brilliant. They sound serious the whole time. I especially loved the voice actor for the little girl, who had a cute little voice in normal mode, but when angered, she also sounded like that.

Characters 9/10

I love the different characters in Seitokai yakuindomo. I guess they’re actually not that different (they’re all perverted girls), but two of our main characters are normal people, trying to put some common sense in most of the school. The interaction between these is the main power of this anime. This is also one of the few shows where the man isn't more perverted than the females, but also isn't a total wuss.

Overall 7.5/10

Looking for a good laugh and wasting some time? Look no further! If you like perverted jokes every 15 seconds, this definitely is the anime for you. Especially people that liked azumangah dajoh and lucky star will probably enjoy this comedy train.

caelenvasius's avatar By on Feb 23, 2016

NOTE: This review covers both the first season and the second season.

WARNING! Spoilers ahead!

SYNOPSIS: The traditionally all-girl Ousai Private Academy has opened for boys as well, and Takatoshi Tsuda decides to attend solely because of it's proximity to his home. On the first day, however, he's drafted into the Student Council, the girls of which desire a male perspective for their vice president. These girls slowly begin to shape Tsuda's life...and his sense of decency!

SUMMARY: Takatoshi Tsuda is entering his first year of high school. The nearby girl's academy, Ousai, has recently been opened to boys as well, due to declining birth rates. Unlike many of his male peers—who think this is a grand opportunity to pick up girls—Tsuda instead chooses Ousai because it is close to his home. On his first day, he meets the student council president, third-year Shino Amakusa, who promptly drafts him unwillingly into the student council as vice president. There he meets third-year Aria Shichijō (Secretary) and fellow first-year Suzu Hagimura (Treasurer). Tsuda becomes friends with the three girls fairly quickly, though he is continually embarrassed and at times angry with the elder girls' constant sexual jokes and demeanor. He proves his worth to the council when he and Suzu take care of the council's business while the third-years go on an extended field trip. He also makes quick friends with another of his classmates, Mutsumi Mitsuba, whom he helps found a judo club with.

In his second year, Tsuda's sister, Kotomi, enrolls in the academy as well, and her rambunctious nature makes her fit right in with the elder girls of the council. While she never actually joins, she often finds herself helping out, especially when doing so allows her to join them on trips to the beach or to an amusement park.

The student council eventually meets with and befriends the council president of the nearby Eiryō High School, Uomi. She and Shino are alike in personality and thought, and are instant friends. However, after Uomi begins to show signs of feelings for Tsuda late in his second year, Shino is forced to accept her own feelings for the vice president, which she had kept repressed from embarrassment and responsibility to the school. This climaxes in the second to last episode, though it is left far from resolved.

The final episode features the school's 48th graduation ceremony. Set up to be a farewell to Shino and Aria (fourth years during season two), a sight gag reveals this to be the ceremony from last year.

STORY: 5/10

As a slice-of-life style show based on a four-panel comic strip, Seitokai Yakuindomo has the elements of story, but none in any real magnitude. The show meanders from topic to topic, with only a vague sense of progression between each of the scenes within an "arc", while each episode's three arcs generally do the same. Events are almost entirely school-related, with the exception of a few arcs which take place on a personal vacation held by the council members. Even the "necessary" beach/hot springs/pool episodes are tenaciously linked with school activities. The only real progression seen are hose of the seasons, and the slight changes between Tsuda's first year and second year. This is not necessarily bad in and of itself, but it makes any given episode not very relevant story-wise.

The vast majority of the development we see is character-driven, with the first season developing friendships and the second season developing romance. The last few minutes of the final episode, when combined with almost he entirety of the previous episode, remove any potential for actual plot resolution, however. None of the four girls with detectable feelings for Tsuda (Shino, Suzu, Uomi, and Mitsuba) commit to their feelings, nor does Tsuda show any signs of recognizing that, nor do we get the resolution of "school friendships and time spent together" common in school-based slice-of-lifes, as the second year never ends on-screen.

ART & ANIMATION: 7/10

The art direction in the show is clever and well-done. Special effects break the fourth wall constantly, such as showing Suzu/s position within the group via the words "Suzu's head" or  "Suzu is [somewhere] over here." While many shows that lean on the fourth wall become distracting, it never felt out of place or intrusive. The second season was especially pretty, as both backgrounds and character models got a quality bump. Animation stayed relatively the same throughout, and was decently fluid.

MUSIC & SOUND: 6/10

Sound effects were fairly standard for a show of this nature. Two things deserve special mention, however. Most of the fourth-wall breaking special effects (such as the aforementioned marker showing Suzu's position) have special effects that draw attention to what they're showing off, which—while a bit loud—were useful and not terribly intrusive. Second, a not insignificant amount of the show's dialogue is censored, as per its nature as a sex comedy. Rather than going with the standard "bleep," however, we get a wide variety of fun sounds which often enhance the comedy of the censored content. I found myself enjoying the effect that the special censor sounds gave to some of the more raunchy bits of dialogue.

Music in-show was a bit disappointing. There were only a few tracks present, and most of them were overused to the point of annoyance. The intro and outtro music was better, though inconsistent. The first season's opening track, "Yamato Nadeshiko Education" by Triple Booking—secretly the VAs for Shino, Aria, and Suzu—is a fun Dancemania-style Eurodance song. The closing track, "Aoi Haru" by angela, is a pop song with an insanely fast spoken bridge; I like it less than any other track listed here, but it's not too bad. The second season's opener, "Hana Saku☆Saikyou Legend Days" by Triple Booking, is a fast-paced light rock song with an odd spoken bit at the beginning and end which honestly could have been left out without damaging the track, but is entertaining nonetheless. It's closing theme is "Mirai Night" by Satomi Satou, a dancepop track with a pleasant melody and overall sound.

CHARACTERS: 8/10

Tsuda is an everyday "Only Sane Man" when compared to the majority of primary and secondary characters in the show. He's decidedly average in academics, but carries himself well. He plays tsukkomi to Shino, Aria, and many other characters' boke. Suzu joins him in this regard. The incredibly short but incredibly smart first-year is overly sensitive of her height and the misconceptions it gives those who do not know her. She and Tsuda develop a sibling-like relationship over the series, but by the end it is hinted at that she may have feelings for him. Shino plays the serious student council president when she needs to, and backs this up with top-notch grades, but can—and often does—become a dirty teenager at the drop of a hat. Aria, an airheaded rich girl who is nonetheless skilled at both school and home ec is even worse; while the former makes dirty jokes with ease, the latter has zero shame, fully admitting to things even Shino wouldn't touch. The two form the boke pair of the main characters, and many jokes are founded upon a misunderstanding or misrepresentation of facts.

Kotomi is an incorrigible sex fiend...or at least likes to see herself as one. She is enthusiastic about anything and everything sex-related, even breaching her brother's privacy for knowledge. She fits right in with Shino and Aria's...peculiar personality. Ranko Hata, the second/third-year president of the newspaper, has an undying thirst for the perfect scoop, and will often twist the words of those she interviews for her own purposes. She's not outright malevolent, however; merely, she is as perverted as the girls around her, and finds that those perversions (or at least insinuations of them) sell the most papers. Dejima, Aria's maid, while skilled at everything a modern maid should be, is a terrifying fetishist, and often targets Aria with these fetishes. It's hinted that she used to be an adult film star before learning to be a maid. Naruko Yokoshima is an English teacher and the supervisor and consultant for the student council...and also one of the most perverted characters in the show. The phrase "anything that moves" sums her desires up nicely. The character is actually somewhat pitiable, despite her rather disturbing tastes; it's implied she has some self-image issues due to her being unmarried in her late twenties.

Finally, two characters round out the primary and secondary character dossier. Kaede Igarashi is the resident disciplinary committee lead, and has a severe fear of men...troublesome for her since Ousai was made co-ed the year she enrolled. She slowly comes out of her shell with the help of the student council, to the point where Tsuda is the only male student she can interact with at an almost reasonable level. She is not perverted in nature, though she recognizes the tendency in her peers, as she overreacts to the statements and actions of those around her. Lastly, Mitsuba is a straight-laced, focused girl of average academic standing but great athletic prowess. She is a curious character, as she is the only one who is "innocent" of the perversion around her. Often times these jokes and statements go right over her head, making her a second type of comedic foil to the sex-boke routines of most of the other notable characters.

The vast majority of this show is driven by character development, and forms one of the two enjoyable parts of this show. The second season especially seems to be focused on the relationships developing between Tsuda and the girls around him. While there's nothing amazing or groundbreaking between the relationships presented, they are enjoyable as anything "average" can be.

PERSONAL CHOICE: 8/10

Alongside the characters, the most enjoyable part of the show is the comedy writing. Call me as childish as the high schoolers represented, but the constant sex and toilet humor had me laughing out loud more often than many other comedy anime seen recently. The constant boke/tsukkomi relationship dynamic present among the main characters and most secondary characters was thoroughly enjoyable, and refreshing at times.

TOTAL: 34/50 (68%)
GRADE: C+

FINAL THOUGHTS:
This isn't a show you come to for story, setting, or even for experiencing anime as an art; if you delude yourself in this manner, you'll leave angry and disappointed. No, there is one reason to watch this: you happen to enjoy some of the better sex comedy to come out of Japan's animation industry in the last few years. I enjoyed it immensely, and while it's likely to get buried among the large amount of "average" out there, it is great fun while it lasts.