Seitokai Yakuindomo

Add review
AngelBeatsYui's avatar
Dec 28, 2014

Warning this Review may and probably will contain spoilers-

Another one of my amazing reviews this time for the really perverted anime Seitokai Yokuindomo. This anime, well it follows the story of Tsuda a male high school boy who gets into a recently converted girls school (converted into a co-ed). From there he is forced to join the student council and manages to get himself into a lot of trouble with the other main characters Shino, Aria and Suzu. Plus many other characters who end up getting involved with the main characters, what you would expect from an anime like this.

STORY:

The story was just short comedy sketches like in Nichijou and Lucky Star. However this time the majority of the scenes involved a sexual joke of some sort, and was somewhat disturbing….after a while I was just grossed out, the jokes weren’t amusing or funny at all after a while. If you took the sick jokes out of them then the anime would have been a decent light series any person would enjoy but this focused too much on the sexual content and it just didn’t appeal to me. The genres were pretty basic but at least they were clear, the main ones being sexual references and comedy.

ANIMATION:

The animation was very consistent and except a constant use of chibis there was nothing really wrong with it. However that constant use of chibis when they made jokes was overused slightly. The scenery has to be some of the best I have seem though and made up for the constant use of chibis.

SOUND:

The opening was pretty average, it was light and jumpy and the lyrics fitted the series quite well. The ending was less jumpy but still worked well with the series. I watched this series in subbed and from that I was surprised, in the end I thought that the characters voices worked really well together and on their own. The voice actors were picked quite well.

CHARACTERS:

The characters were probably the best thing about this show, even though they were very stereotypical. Shino was your classic strong student council leader but had a strange obsession about certain things. Tsuda, your ‘normal’ high school student who gets caught up in all of the chaos. Suzu the loli in the mix and Aria the posh rich kid who has a big chest, or as it is constantly shown T_T Other than that we had Hata, Kaede, Kotomi, Mutsumi and a maid.

In conclusion this show is just…..just so sexual and of course there are people who like that, so here you go and that is the end of this review.

-AngelBeatsYui-

6.5/10 characters
6.1/10 overall
Mystotakun's avatar
Mar 18, 2013

At the time of writing this, I have written three reviews on this website, all of them having one thing in common; they are all comedies. Seitokai Yakuindomo is no expection to this matter.

When it comes to anime based around school life and the whole "moe" factor, I can't say I'm a huge fan of it. Yes, I enjoy watching both Lucky Star and K-On!, but they are the two expections to the matter...well, two of the three, I should say.

I'll say this right now, Seitokai isn't an anime that will appeal to everyone, that is a certain. In fact, when I heard about it, I thought I was going to hate it with a passion, only to be pleasently suprised after the first 3 episodes.

The "story" of SY (I can't be bothered to write the title out anymore) is similar to that of, the previously mentioned, Lucky Star, in the sense that there is no story. Just showing the various mishaps that the students get up to. Although, there is a tiny bit of a story. Takatoshi TSUDA moves into a Ousai Private Academy (a once popular all girls high-school which has recently become co-ed, allowing boys to join) for the sole reason that it is close to his house. Almost as soon as he steps through the gates, he is greeting by the Student Council; Shino AMAKUSA (the president), Aria SHICHIJOU (the secretary) and Suzu HAGIMURA (the treasurer). After a brief (and harsh) introduction to the school rules, Shino realises she has made Taka late and, as apologies, makes him the vice-president...and I use the term "makes him" very literally!

The rest of the show is simply following the mishaps of the student council, with some of the stereotypical episodes being included; the beach episode, the festival episode and the sports festival episode come in mind straight away. BUT! don't let that put you off, even though you may have seen it all before, you will be suprised how different it is when the (sort of) uniqueness of the characters come into play.

That's one thing I have yet to mention, and that is the humour of the show. In a nutshell, take any sentence (and I mean any sentence) and add a sexual twist to it, even if it doesn't make sense or not. There you go...you've got SY!

Now, I know that sex humour isn't everyone's cup of tea and to be honest, it's not mine, but it seems to have some weird effect, where it doesn't matter if you are not a fan of the humour or not, you WILL end up being a fan of it by the end! Oh...but if you feel awkward when women talk about their *ahem* monthly troubles and the necessary arrangements they need to take, then you'll probably feel awkward through a lot of this!

The four main characters are all pretty much the steroetype of a "moe" high-school show. You have the "normal" one - Taka. The one who tries to be serious but is, in fact, the most childish one - Shino. The airheaded ditz who everyone, guys and girls, love - Aria. And finally, the tsundere - Suzu. Each of these characters, while being typical in almost all high-school animes, feel fresh, simply due to how weird and, at times, how surreal the humour can get.

Some of the side characters are hilarious and really add a certain charm to the show. My personal favourites being; Naruko YOKOSHIMA, the perverted teacher, who would rather sleep around, than have to teach and Ranko HATA, a member of the Newspaper Club and runs around everywhere (literally) trying to find a good story (which usually involves a series of photos which are often misguided). While these characters aren't neccesary at all, the show would lose a lot of charm without them!

All in all, SY is an anime which has a specfic demographic; people who enjoy sex humour, innuedos, visual jokes and heightist jokes. Even though I'm not a fan of the first two, for seem reason I loved this to bits and will happily watch it, over and over again (just not in front of my mum...)

I highly recommend you watch it! After all, it's only 13 episodes, what have you got to lose?

Shino: I know what Takashi would want to lose!

Takatoshi: Please don't say anything...

Zura38's avatar
Feb 27, 2011

Aria: What number are you?

Kotomi: 19!

The Girls: IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU! IKU...

Tsuda: Please shut the hell up!

- Episode 12

Seitokai Yakuindomo is about an average male student who just started school in all-girls-recently-changed-to-coed school. That said, you wouldn't expect a lot of males in the school and guess what? There isn't.

What's this? Definitely a perfect setting for a harem plot!

...That being said, it isn't. While the main cast does consist of only one male surrounded by God knows how many female characters (including his little sister), it isn't your typical "main guy tries to hookup with every main girl he sees". Or at least, there's a realistic boundary between them.

But what makes Seitokai (as I like to call it) differs from most slice-of-life, school genres because instead of giving us those overated fanservices, it a uh... has a tedency tell inappropriate jokes. Ah screw it, they tell ALOT of sex jokes in this series and the ones doing them are... the girls? Yep, that's right, the guy in this case acts as the tsukkomi instead and is parodied thourghout the whole thing.

Heck, they might as well call this "Sex Jokes: Anime ver."

Seeing as Seitokai originated from a 4 koma manga, the sequences are kept in simple order each episode. I really did enjoyed the subtitles that kept popping up for each story sequence. While you also have your typical school life, beach episode, and even a bath scene, I still enjoyed them (even though I was going "meh" beforehand).

Even so, each sequences are done well, and were very entertaining and funny. Even so, some jokes require some Japanese knowledge, but the sub guys covered that for you :)

At times it did feel a bit rushed, but hey, it's only 13 episodes after all...

9/10

Not the best, but it's still very good! From the backgrounds fitting very approriately to the current mood (usually for comedy) to weirdly made mosaics and whatnots when they describe something inappropriate.

I felt that the animation did stay true to the manga drawings though, so that's a huge plus too. Oh, and I even find the opening hillarious thanks to the "visual jokes" they put in there. :p

9/10

Uh well, I liked the opening song... and the soundtrack had a very cheerful mood to it which fitted most of the situation.

That said, I also enjoyed the little drum and whistle part each episode had before the opening.

9/10

This is probably what got me to really like it. We have the main character Tsuda, who is your average male student who is forced to join the student council because of the bossy Shino.

While Tsuda is allright, the girls were a huge plus. No, not because they give us fanservice, but as to how cool I consider them to be. Seriously, I sometimes hope more female characters could be like them. Shino is the prez of the club, my first impression? "Oh God, another tsundere..." but man... I was shocked as to how cool she was with her jokes.

Aria is your typical rich, ojousan, kind girl... until she starts talking that is. I don't think I've ever heard her not make a crude remark about you know what whenever I see her. Yes, I like them because of their jokes and personality, but the fact that Shino and Aria are voiced by Mio and Ritsu's seiyuu also helped.

Suzu is probably the true tsundere, and while I usually hate them, she's got me to like her as well. The fact that she can mentally AND physically pwn anyone helps too. Also, that scene with the American... XD

Other characters include Yokoshima sensei who is the useless, perverted teacher going after young boys (Awesome...), Tsuda's younger sister who is the best Sex Ed student out there, and Mitsuba... DAT VOICE!

10/10

Conclusion

I expected another Shuffle!/Clannad esque anime, but what I got was a faster paced Azumanga Daioh... which is awesome! But again, it all depends on our opinions, if you are easily offended by sex jokes (even though the girls are telling them) you probably want to stay away from this.

If you liked Azumanga, then you'd probably liked this as well. Fans of K-ON! should also watch this to see the other side of Mio and Ritsu in one shot!

This anime has managed to put a smile in my face every episode, so I easily recommend watching this for a fun/relaxing/witty experience. I recommend the manga too!

9.5/10

scizorg45's avatar
Oct 10, 2010

Story 6/10

An all school girls turned co? All the girl being perverts (instead of the male students)? Oh boy, I got to watch this. (my train of thought reading the synopsis).

If you’re looking for a decent plot or a nice story, go somewhere else. Seitokai yakuindomo doesn’t have either of it. Seitokai yakuindomo is about an all-girls school turned co. The girls don’t really mind this though; it’s more like a dream come true for most of them. Through the whole series it’s one perverted joke after the other. Most of them you can see coming from a mile away, but they will make you laugh anyway.

Animation 7/10

The animation often switches between normal animation and chibi mode. Usually I don’t like it when there’s too much chibi in an anime, but with Seitokai yakuindomo I didn’t really mind. Perhaps it’s because I put my mind on blank while watching this (since I wasn’t expecting anything serious anyway).

Sound 8/10

One: The opening. I loved it. It made me happy. I listened it every episode, which I usually don’t do (most of the time, I listen to openings once or twice). It’s a happy joy song which put a smile on my face while the episode had barely started.

Two: The voice actors are brilliant. They sound serious the whole time. I especially loved the voice actor for the little girl, who had a cute little voice in normal mode, but when angered, she also sounded like that.

Characters 9/10

I love the different characters in Seitokai yakuindomo. I guess they’re actually not that different (they’re all perverted girls), but two of our main characters are normal people, trying to put some common sense in most of the school. The interaction between these is the main power of this anime. This is also one of the few shows where the man isn't more perverted than the females, but also isn't a total wuss.

Overall 7.5/10

Looking for a good laugh and wasting some time? Look no further! If you like perverted jokes every 15 seconds, this definitely is the anime for you. Especially people that liked azumangah dajoh and lucky star will probably enjoy this comedy train.

ofekaz's avatar
Dec 25, 2016

This anime is just, well, not great. The story includes a school of mostly girls, 2 guys and really bad sex jokes. Thats it! Everything about it is forces, everytime characters talk to each other an out of place sex joke comes out. And those are not even funny, they are mostly childish and plain bad. I'm not sure if the creators ment to make the viewer laugh or just shake their heads and wonder why they even put this terribe joke in there.

Well I guess I'm not the right audience for this anime. a 14-15 years old me might just find this show a bit more intresting but even then I wonder if it would be any good.

That said this anime is not all bad. The animation, while nothing special isn't bad at all, the voice acting is great and the chracters are somewhat diverse. Ignoring the bad jokes as much as possible this anime can be just good enough if you just want to pass the time or do something else while you watch anime because it doesn't require you full attention.

I know this review is kinda short but thats because there is not much to talk about, everything about this anime is just average. Can't recommend it to anyone, just watch it if you got nothing better to do.