School Days

jv4ever's avatar By on Sep 20, 2015

Video Review:

A review I never intented to do but after a request on my Youtube channel I did watch the notoriously know anime School Days. And I was not ready for this.

*Now believe it or not I actually found 2 positive things to say about this anime. I even astonished myself by finding them.

The first being the music, I enjoyed the songs both at the end and at the intro. My favorite song was Kanashimi no mukou e which is played in the last episode at a very important scene let’s say.

*The other positive point is that I found 3 characters in this anime that I didn’t hate at one point in time. You heard me wel: 3. First character that I didn’t hate was Nanami KANROJI. I felt really sad for her because of what happens to her in the anime and I actually thought that she would commit suicide in the final episodes.

The second character plays into one the most asked question about SD: Who is best girl? Well the second character that I didn’t hate was one of the main heroines Kotohana. I felt so sorry for her, not only for what happens on the romantical platform which I’m going to rant extensively about in a minute.

But also the way she was bullied by other character made me feel really compassionate with her. Now I’m not talking about what happened at the end of the anime, that’s a whole other story which I’m going talk about later on.

So was Kotohana best girl? No and it also wasn’t Sekai. Because the girl that deserved my all time respect was Setsuna KIYOURA. Everything she does is for the sake of Sekai. She’s willing to sacrifice everything to make sure that Sekai is happy: her own feelings, her future, her dignity and even more than that. Setsuna was definitely the most likable character in this entire anime.

And with that everything that was positive about this anime has been said.

Also I have to say that I was spoiled before I started watching SD, it’s difficult not to be spoiled when it come to this anime. But being spoiled didn’t ease the shock that I experienced, not at all.

So the easiest way for me to get through these negative points is by reviewing each of the characters that I disliked. Like that I will get to everything negative that I have to say about this anime.

*Starting with the first character being Hikari KURODA. Can someone explain her logic to me? Please explain to me the following thought pattern: a good friend of mine, being Sekai, get’s cheated on by her boyfriend, being Makoto. What could I do to help in this situation? I know, why don’t I bang Makoto as well, that’s going to be a big help to save their relationship.

WTF, I don’t even have words to describe how fucked up this is and how surprised I was when we get that shot. At that moment I went down from 4 to 3 remaining likable characters. The others already lost me way sooner.

*Second character on the hate list is Taisuke SAWANAGA. The reason why I hate this dude is the fact that he fucking rapes Kotohana at the school festival. To him it might have felt like normal sex but Kotohana was completely out of this world at that moment because literally 2 minutes before that she discovered that her boyfriend was cheating on here. That’s what I call taking advantage of someone. And then the next day, he just acts extremely casual like nothing ever happened.

*Moving on to Kato and the three bitches like I like to call them. Not only do I hate the four of them because of the fact that all of them banged Makoto but also because they’re the bitches that bully Kotohana so much in the first part of the anime. They’re the kind of people that I simply want to slap in the face. The main girl of the four: Kato Otome bangs Makoto when she knows that he’s already cheating on Kotohana with Sekai. That’s like cheatception or something. And the other 3 decide to casually have a fucking foursome with him, while one of them already has a boyfriend. Cheating seems to be the normalest thing in this anime.

*Before I get to the main characters I have to tell something. I told before that the thing I hate the most in anime is over the top fan service. Well there’s another thing I hate to see in anime and that is NTR. For those of you who are new in the anime world: NTR is when we have couple and than someone, usually the best friend of the girl steals the boy away. I already saw it in a couple of anime and I don’t like it because most of the time the original couple is the one I’m routing for.

*And that brings me to the main character Sekai. This is NTR brought to an extreme level. In the first half of the anime I fucking hated her, she was a slut and a backstabber. I mean why would you first bring two people together if you’re going to bang the guy right away after that? And the worst thing about it all was that they kept it a secret from Kotohana for such a long period of time.

So when she gets cheated on by Makoto I actually enjoyed the turmoil that she was going through. It was like a taste of her own medicine.

But than in the final episodes something changed. At that point I didn’t enjoy her turmoil anymore, especially after she becomes pregnant. How she than gets thrown away by Makoto like a filthy old rag made me feel compassionate with her and my hatred towards her started to diminish.

So what than happens at the end of the anime still shocked me. Oh man, that scene where Kotohana slashes Sekai is officially the most disturbing shit I have ever seen. The shot that was taken from inside Sekai’s abdomen where her child/embryo was made me want to throw up. That was so fucked up and creepy, it’s an image I will never be able forget.

So although I can’t forgive Sekai for what she did at the start of the anime, she didn’t need to die for me. That’s something she didn’t deserve in my eyes.

*But everything that I just said, all the fucked up shit that happens in this anime is all the fault of one single character: this fuckface Makoto. OMG I never wanted a character to die in anime before but this guy, man I wanted him to die from the very first episode.

In the first episodes he doesn’t bang anything that wears a skirt yet but he’s such an irritating and unknowing character. He has no idea how to deal with women, no idea what it means to be in a relationship and absolutely no fucking idea about women’s feelings in a relationship. This is already clear as day when he’s in a relationship with Kotohana, here he’s already someone who thinks with his dick instead of his head or hearth.

Than comes the shit where he cheats on Kotohana with Sekai because Kotohana doesn’t want to go further and that’s tiring to him. Again someone who has absolutely no fucking clue how to deal with women, he’s like the anti-gentleman doing everything what he shouldn’t and nothing that he should.

Further on than, just minutes before he finally let the world know that’s he in a relationship with Sekai now, he’s already cheating on her with Kato. And after that the floodgates opened and he fucked everything that wore a skirt: from a foursome with the bitches, taking advantage of Setsuna to the end of the anime where he again takes advantage of Kotohana who is clearly completely fucked up the head by then.

But the thing that perhaps infuriated me the most was the way he treats Sekai from the point where it becomes clear that she’s pregnant with his child. By that time he was just a complete sexobsessed lunatic and I was looking forward to his death. This fucker crossed every moral boundary that I have and if I lived in that universe I would have gladly stabbed him myself because to me he died way to fast and way to easy there.

So as a conclusion, SD is the worst anime I’ve seen till today and it bogles my mind that shit like this actually exist. If you have almost no likable characters, a story that enraged me every single episode and the most fucked up and disturbing ending ever in anime than you all know what I’m going to rate this anime like. 0,5 stars, I never recommend watching this, it left images burned on my retina and I doubt that they will ever go away.

0.5/10 story
1.5/10 sound
CrystalGrace's avatar By on Jul 26, 2015

School Days Review:

Oh god this anime. Just…oh god. I’m not even quite sure why I’m reviewing School Days. No one asked me to do it, no one cares, and then here we are! If you’ve been living under weeaboo rock or just any rock in general you probably have no clue what this anime this is and/or why it is so polarizing and notorious. And if so, then boy do I have a review for you! So, let’s not waste too much time (I mean we could I’m up for that), let’s I guess go out and review School Days (spoilers probably ahead by the way, it’s not like anyone cares)!

Additional Notes:

School Days is a 12 episode long anime done by Studio TNK back in 2007. It was originally a visual novel by 0verflow that was released two years earlier. This anime is notorious for picking a horrible route in the game and adapting it into the anime, including the most famous and hilariously sudden anime endings of all time.

This anime is rated TV-MA for eventually obvious reasons, so viewer discretion is highly advised.

If Madoka Magica is king of deconstruction in the magical girl genre, then School Days is the king of deconstruction in the harem genre. But at first, like Madoka Magica, it wasn’t even like that at all. So the story is about Makoto Itou, a typical high school boy who starts falling in love with Kotonoha, a big breasted yet sweet girl in his grade. His friend Sekai tries to get Makoto to go out with her, and succeeds. As the show progresses in the love between Makoto and Kotonoha in your typical harem plot, we start to figure out there may be more to the story than the typical can hold…

Like I said, at first School Days was your generic cute harem anime that had nothing special. But once you continued to watch the show, everything was blown way out of proportion! Sex, cheating, affairs, violence, bullying, like Jesus Christ did someone sneak into the writers office and just f*ck everything up?! It’s bad and unexpected, but I will give it credit for what it was doing. Why? Because this is one of the first animes to actually show what would happen if the harem genre was a real life thing. I mean come on, most of the stuff in this anime is pretty much accurate to what it would be like! So yeah, I’ll give credit to where it is due.

And then there’s the ending. Holy crap when I first saw it I couldn’t tell if I was laughing at how bad but relieving it was, or crying at how bad but relieving it was! Like seriously, pretty much everyone was just torn by it, it just came out of nowhere! But anyways, MOVING ON!

If you thought the SAO characters were the worst cast of characters to me, you clearly don’t even know about this anime at all! Pretty much every single character except for Kotonoha is a complete douche bag with no remorse or a soul that even I couldn’t stand any of it! How about we start with Makoto, huh? At first, I thought he was just a bland dude but at least was trying to be nice. And then, I thought he was just a sex addicting-jack@ss! Like seriously, could he be anymore dumb?! Now, let me say this, for those saying that this guy was the villain and the worst character of the show…you are probably wrong. Yes, he is awful, but Sekai was the worst. Sekai is the mastermind behind this abomination of a show and I was just waiting for her to have a torturous demise in the end! Makoto was dumb, obviously, but I don’t think he deserved to die because it wasn’t entirely his fault, he’s just doing what he was taught to do what was “right.” Sekai was the one that taught him and thus she’s more of the villain. Even when Makoto realized he was being a jerk and wanted to return to Kotonoha, Sekai was acting all sad saying she was pregnant even though no one was going to give her sympathy because she did not deserve it. If there’s anyone that deserved the sympathy, it had to be Kotonoha. Though she was mostly bland and plain, she was more tolerable then the other characters, which made me actually enjoy her. She was treated like crap in the beginning, still treated like crap, and then probably treated like a psychopath at the end (possibly, it didn’t show much of what happened after all of the abomination in the ending). I wanted to give Kotonoha a huge hug, and even though this makes me sound crazy, what she did in the end was probably the right thing to do, at least better than just standing there and watching all the hell happen in front of her.

Every single other character are jerks and I don’t care so I’m moving on!

School Day’s animation is definitely nothing special, average at best. I mean, for an anime like this, the animation doesn’t have to be that grand or anything, but since this was made in 2007 and to me that’s the big year animation started modernizing to what it is now it’s pretty freaking bad. There isn’t that much movement besides to mouths of the terrible characters, the character designs are both weird looking or very generic, and everything else is average. Not much else to say, just average.

If there’s anything remotely good in this anime, it’s probably the music. Though there’s a lot of it, the tracks are actually pretty good but mostly forgettable. Sure the openings and endings are generic, they’re at least tolerable. My favorite song is definitely “Kanashimi No Mukou He” which is the song that plays in the notorious ending. Not because it reminds me of it, but because it’s just really good! So yeah, not much else to say!

For any normal anime watcher, avoid School Days at all costs because it is very bad. The story is bad, the characters are bad, the animation is average, and the sound is fine but also forgettable. However, if you are more of an odd anime watcher who watches for the sake of reacting to it for the ride and/or the curiousity then I sort of recommend it. It’s definitely accurate with its “morals” and “themes,” but that’s really it. Overall, just try avoiding it and I’ll see you later!

Next Review: Pupa (And just when you thought I couldn't possibly review another bad one!)

(If you have any questions or corrections about this review or School Days, contact me! :D)

4.5/10 overall
rester11193's avatar By on Jun 25, 2015

Oh my F***. Thats the best description for this anime. It has a great story and breaks the normal slice of life/ Harem anime structure. Very enjoyable and you should definitely watch this.

ganon11000's avatar By on May 5, 2015

This will emotionally scar you and you won't forget it in a hurry (if you make it through the dull story)

Watched up to: Episode 12 (all)
Animation (20%): Just about passable. Not great but not horrific. (30/100)
Story (35%): The main story is dull and predictable. Minor spoiler: ... Until the final episode, which is the most f***ed up thing I've seen. It's worth watching for the ending. (60/100)
Characters (35%): Major Spoiler: All but Kotonoha are unlikeable (Makoto sleeping with everyone and Sekai being the biggest liar of them all and then for little reason, in comparison with Kotonoha, killing Makoto). Kotonoha is the most believable character; she can't get over being cheated on and lied to which leads to her having a mental breakdown. This is portrayed well; you can see her slowly breaking down over the season and by about episode ~10 you can see she has developed some mental illness that causes her to dissociate. When she gets back together with Makoto you can see her healing .... that is until Sekai kills Makoto. After finding Makoto dead on the floor she looses it. This is quite a natural response to the events.(60/100)
Music (10%): Not bad. The new intros and outros every few episodes are nice. (60/100)
Fan Service (0%): High / Extreme at 3-4 points.
Would I Recommend: Not for the story or main characters. It is interesting to see the breakdown of Kotonoha which makes it sorta worth watching. Minor spoiler: .... And that ending MY GOD THAT ENDING made it worth watching for the WTF value.

Score: 6% + 21% + 21% + 6% = 54% = 5/10, 3/5.

5.4/10 overall
Halibut's avatar By on Feb 11, 2015

This anime sucks bad do not watch it. The characters fell like theyre made out of carboard. The story is just boring. So i repeat do not watch this anime.