School Days: Magical Heart Kokoro-chan

Sheex's avatar By Sheex on Apr 1, 2008

Okay, I must admit that after suffering through the pure atrocity of Valentine Days, I had enormously low expectations for an OVA titled Magical Heart Kokoro Chan.  In fact, I started thinking about how I was going to bash it before I even watched it.  Fortunately, however, while the OVA is pretty standard crap, it is actually mildly amusing, and even makes a point to mock the overblown hype School Days received just for having a disturbing ending.  Perhaps the only reason something of this quality was even produced was to pacify some fringe fanservice crazed fanboys in Japan, as it's littered with tons of T&A shots (hey, we even get nipple shots in this one) from start to finish.

To illustrate this point, consider the premise: the local shopping district has come under attack by an "evil" villain whose plan is to turn all the men into molesting zombies; to call this horrendously lame would be an enormous compliment.  Even so, the parody does prove entertaining for the twenty minutes or so that it lasts, and thus does possess some form of potential intrigue.  Don't get me wrong, I'm never touching this again, but it is sufficiently amusing to merit a once-through.

The animation is, to say the least, pitiful.  In fact, at one point, one of the characters comments that more breast shots are needed because they cut down on animation costs and the OVA was already pushing its budget.  Personally I didn't find the fanservice endearing in the slightest, but the fact that the producers seem to openly acknowledge this fallacy and purposefully take jabs at their own work does make it more tolerable.  Just don't expect any form of eye candy and you shouldn't have a problem stomaching it - the dialogue is what's most amusing, not the visuals.

To be honest, I didn't pay any attention to the music - what little I remember is typical magical girl stuff.  As with Valentine Days, the voice acting was a bunch of yelling so it didn't really leave any memorable impression.

Though the characters bear no relation to their School Days counterparts in any way aside from appearance, their comedic shells actually proved entertaining for a brief while.  Ultimately there's very little to talk about regarding them, as every personality is crafted for a one-shot deal in the OVA.

5.5/10 overall
DeamonLordChaos867's avatar By DeamonLordChaos867 on Mar 12, 2011

Now this I really enjoyed. A great spoof of magical girl anime only with the School Day's cast. If you have seen the tv seies and can put what you know happens to these characters out of your mind, this is a suprisingly fun time. And the choice of villain is spot on.