Sasameki Koto

Omurqi's avatar By on Jan 18, 2010

I’d like to be able call Sasameki Koto a romance anime, but I can’t. You see, in romance anime you’ll first have (optional) episodes full of lingering emotions, desire for a certain person and then (mandatory) romance. That’s right, when I start watching a romance show, be it straight, yaoi or in this case yuri, I want to have some sort of development, be it in a tearful rejection or blissful union. While I enjoyed the majority of the show, filled with cuteness, innocent uncertainties and comedy, it was all in anticipation of something that didn’t happen.

With all that out of the way, Sasameki Koto is by no means a bad show if you get in with the right attitude (unlike me). It’s a fun-filled slice of life show with yuri tones everywhere and a calm pace. Especially the first half was well worth it, full of great characters, decent development and fairly succesful comedy. For fans of slice of life comedies and yuri, this one is worth checking out. Don’t be expecting top-notch relation-development though.

Yes, I realise the chance a second season will adress the unfinished business is large, but to be honest, I don't think I'll watch it. If I pick out a series for romance, that's what I'm looking for, no agonizingly slow character development.

jc9622's avatar By on May 1, 2015

There might be grammar errors or missing words in my review since I'm typing on my tablet

Sumika Marasame, a tall, athletic girl has been secretly in love with her best friend Ushio Kazama since middle school. They became friends in middle school because she was alone and had no friends. Ushio's former friends don't want to be around her because she's a lesbian. Sumika, who was a class president decided to  hang out with her. Thus, becoming friends. Sumika at first wasn't really in love with Ushio until their skiing trip where Sumika started falling for her secretly.

The problem why Sumika can't confess her feelings to Ushio is Ushio only likes "cute" and "small" girls while Sumika is tall and athletic. Another problem is if Sumika confessed her feelings, their best friend status might be over.

Later in the story, Ushio and Sumika met Tomoe and Miyako, the 2 girls they spotted kissing when they went back to the classroom. Turns out they're a lesbian couple. Tomoe wants to form a girl club where girls can only join. Sumika and Ushio later joined

Im not going to get deep in the story so I'd skip some parts

After Sumika and her friends enter their second year of high school, two first-year girls named Mayu Semimaru and Koino Matsubara join the female karate club. Sumika is troubled over her relationship with Ushio, which has an adverse effect on her karate performance, much to the disappointment of Mayu. Sumika starts to get more involved with karate training to take her mind off of Ushio and in doing so, inadvertently distances herself from her. Ushio breaks down in depression because of this distancing, which results in Ushio breaking her arm, but is able to make up with Sumika. Tomoe accidentally implies to Ushio that Sumika has romantic feelings for her, much to Ushio's surprise, and Ushio finally accepts that she has fallen in love with Sumika but decides to become less dependent on her friend before confessing because she believes love will always fail for her.

Im not continuing the story anymore, I'm tired.

Animation:

In my opinion, the animation is the best one I've seen compared to other anime's I've seen. This looks more like a mix of Western Animation mixed with Anime which I love.

Sound:

Sound got a low rating for me because they keep re-using it. It seemed like they were too lazy to make a new soundtrack for each episode. The opening theme and ending theme was ok. Not bad but not great either.

People might disagree with me on this but the characters are good and excecuted perfectly. Most of the characters are funny (especially Miyako). Some of the characters that are not introduced in anime was introduced in the manga version. Those characters are Lotte, a German student. Mayu and Koi, best friends since kindergarten. Lotte is one of the funniest character's I have seen especially when paired up with Miyako.

Overalls:

As you may have noticed, some of the stories I mentioned and characters I mentioned are not in anime. That's because the anime version covered 12 out of 53 chapters of manga. I'm guessing the anime version was for those people who hates reading because it's exactly the same as manga(except episode 12). If you have patience in romance and patience in character development then this is a show for you. If you want something quick then this is not a show for you.

You might also get dissapointed with the ending of anime series because the ending they showed was the ending of manga volume 1. If they were to continue the series and make season 2 (which won't happen) then they would cover the manga series volume 2.

In my opinion, the show is one of the best anime series I've seen. What I really love is no explicit scenes, kind of realistic lesbian relationship, takes time for things to develop, no breast kissing (looking at you Aoi Hana), and not a lot of kissing (looking at you Sakura Trick). If you're going to read the manga version then I recommend watching this series so you don't have to read the first 12 chapters of the manga. If you're looking for cuteness then this is also the show for you.

9.5/10 animation
6.3/10 sound
MikeSinner's avatar By on Apr 11, 2012

For the most part I enjoyed it, but then for some reason they seemed to have a need to go ahead and ruin it by forgetting they were trying to tell a romantic story. Towards the end it became hard to follow through because I was seriously starting to doubt they could give it a proper finish.
And then comes the worst. They didn't.
They just give you the biggest crater of an open ending you may have seen in some time.

So, then I took a look around to find the manga and guess what? NO open ending there!
What the hell went wrong with the animation process? How could they have gotten sidetracked with random bull when the manga is big enough to provide plenty inspiration for even more episodes if they had wanted to. I really don't get it! Were they in such a hurry to get this tossed out as an anime they outran the manga?

Whatever it is they did, it just went wrong and that ruined a perfectly good story.
Yes, it may be a little sappy and we may have seen this before, but I liked the cuteness in this and at least the first half of the series had a nice flow.

Honestly I should probably rate this a lot lower, but I usually tend to rate pretty high anyway and I did still enjoy most of it.... If it had been less interesting from the start though, the points would be halved and I'd be branding this with a 4/10 at most.

Advice? I guess I will have to add another manga to my to read list... And that for somebody who hates reading... =( It's a shame I find out more and more just how much better the manga often is when compared to anime.

In any case, I cannot recommend this anime, especially if you are looking for a well put together and FINISHED story. It's just so sad, because it seemed so promising. Bummer!

UberSoldier's avatar By on Dec 12, 2011

3/10 point in Story cause there isnt much to tell.The two protagonist have little interaction with each other and its supposed to be a romance anime.No conclution in the end(i hate that ),i would prefer to either tell each other their feelings or be rejected and thats the end of it,but it leaves you with a lukewarm feeling.The Animation isnt half bad but it could have been better,so 6/10.Sound lacks a lot ,other than the OP u have a variety of 2-3 songs not so fit in this anime.Characters :They try but they dont have the true potensial drawn out.Other than the Protagonist Sumika Murasame and some of her random reactions nothing more special.

Overall:If u are looking for a romance anime this is not it.Very biased ending and little character interaction.I give it 4.5 becase it has some funny parts along with 2 maybe 3 romance scenes which never developed though.

4.5/10 overall
Eaglexfox's avatar By on May 11, 2011

Sasameki KotoThis anime is centered around the one-sided love that Sumika Murasame has on her best friend Ushio Kazama, who is openly into girls. The problem lies in the fact Kazama only likes "cute girls" and tall, athletic, and overall masculine Sumika does not fit the profile whatsoever. Chaos ensues as Sumika tries first, to ignore her feelings for her best friend by helping her find "a cute girlfriend" to trying to make herself more cute and girly in order to gain Kazama's affection. Throw unexspected plot twists, amuzing character interaction, and vague love triangles into the mix, and it makes Sasameki Koto a pretty entertaining anime.

My main problem however lies in how the series was concluded. The 13 episodes were a bit slow paced, and while the more-than-friend relationship between Simika and Kazama managed to heat up a bit towards the final episodes, the series ended on a boring and disappointing note. I found myself pushing myself through episodes 11 and 12 just so I could see Simika and Kazama FINALLY get together in the last episode (13) where the traditional, predictable fairly tail ending we all know and love is absent. It is clear at the end of the series the Sumika and Kazama did not confess their (apparent) feelings for each other, and continued onward with their best-friends-forever unsatisfying relationship.

For someone that is a girlxgirl fan looking for something light and somewhat entertaining to watch, Sasameki Koto is a good choice. However, those looking for a fast paced, passionate romance between girls, I recommend looking elsewhere.