Sasameki Koto

Omurqi's avatar By Omurqi on Jan 18, 2010

I’d like to be able call Sasameki Koto a romance anime, but I can’t. You see, in romance anime you’ll first have (optional) episodes full of lingering emotions, desire for a certain person and then (mandatory) romance. That’s right, when I start watching a romance show, be it straight, yaoi or in this case yuri, I want to have some sort of development, be it in a tearful rejection or blissful union. While I enjoyed the majority of the show, filled with cuteness, innocent uncertainties and comedy, it was all in anticipation of something that didn’t happen.

With all that out of the way, Sasameki Koto is by no means a bad show if you get in with the right attitude (unlike me). It’s a fun-filled slice of life show with yuri tones everywhere and a calm pace. Especially the first half was well worth it, full of great characters, decent development and fairly succesful comedy. For fans of slice of life comedies and yuri, this one is worth checking out. Don’t be expecting top-notch relation-development though.

Yes, I realise the chance a second season will adress the unfinished business is large, but to be honest, I don't think I'll watch it. If I pick out a series for romance, that's what I'm looking for, no agonizingly slow character development.

Galadriel's avatar By Galadriel on Dec 3, 2010

Sasameki Koto (Whispered Words)

Plot: "Shy, athletic Sumika is in love with her bubbly friend Ushio. However, Ushio is outwardly attracted to cute girls, something she never calls her friend-turned-admirer. Keeping her tender feelings a secret from the one she loves, Sumika continues to be Ushio’s confidante and companion, hoping that someday she can say how she feels. Whether it’s having a first kiss, cooking a meal or confiding in each other, Sumika, Ushio, Tomoe and their friends will experience the everyday joys of a quiet school life and touching romance together." (site synopsis)

Story: Oh gawd, another yuri anime, what shall i do! I just can't seem to dislike the genre, but sometimes i tend to dislike the authors that make these shows. Sasameki Koto began in a way that i never seen in other yuri anime shows (and believe me I've seen a lot of them, almost all available until now). At the begining i felt an angst atmosphere, everytime Sumika was around Ushio, a tense atmosphere was begining to develop. The reasons are obvious from the synopsis, Sumika is in love with Ushio but her shy nature and her loyalty to her friendship with Ushio forbids her from confessing her feelings to her. Another reason could be that, a step forward might put their relationship in danger, a thing which is common in modern society, after all these types of relationships are seen with bad eyes by society even nowadays. As Ushio's friend Sumika hangs around her, supports her, scolds her like any good friend should do but she also has to resist her habit of falling in love with every girl she conciders cute, which is Ushio's weakness. Her habit will become Sumika's nightmare, she will have to fight against her jealousy and at the same time support her or sometimes prevent her from making decisions that might hurt her. Even though they've been friends for a long time, they do not have any common things. While Ushio is much more girlish, having a taste in fashion, cooking skills Sumika is more of a male than a girl, exceling in martial arts, having perfect marks at schools, being a model student, absolutely no taste in fashion and not much interest in stuff that usually girls like and appreciate. However, appearences usually betrays in these situation because when they are apart, both of them yearn for eachother. I came to the conclusion that this is not a one-sided love relationship, in other words a show that will keep an ongoing melodrama for 13 fucking episodes but rather a show where the protagonists are unaware of the feelings of the person they actually love. The first half of the series is mainly concentrated on Sumika's feelings towards Ushio while in the second part Ushio's feelings start to come to the surface too. An important issue that probably played a vital role for Sumika and Ushio was also the discovery of another yuri couple, Miyako x Tomoe. Sumika and Ushio witness the two kissing while the other two late on witness the same thing but this time vice-versa, even though it was a misunderstanding the feelings of the two were obvious. A comedy moment in this show is actualy the creation of the Girls Club, featuring the couple Sumika, Ushio and Akemiya (disguised as a girl named Akemi). I liked the fact that this show wasn't filled with angst, like it tended to be at the begining, instead it managed to pull itself toghether by introducing some comedy elements. Unfortunately the show ended without making a conclusion leaving the feelings between Sumika and Ushio on a clifhanger. I hope that there will be a second season for this show, because it really has some potential.

Animation and Sound: In terms of animation, no complaints regarding the quality and the directing was good. The only complaint i actualy have is regarding the character design which at times tends to be low quality, deformed. Minor detail though since the actual design was very well made, the design of the characters managed to define their personality as well. The sound around averageness, not that good but not that bad as well, not memorable unfortunately and also something that I won't really listen.

Characters: If only the characters were so good as the story...i kinda feel bad about rating it only 7 but i guess i have to. Yeah, this show feature a nice character development, with enough background information about most of them (the important ones especially that played a certain role in this show). What completely made me unsatisfied was actualy the fact that Ushio and Sumika's development was completely cast away at the end of the anime. Of course some people might come to me and tell me that i should just read the manga, well its not the same thing. The purpose of the anime after all revolved around these two girls and i at least expected this to come up to a conclusion even though it would've been a lame one but no, they left it on a clifhanger as if it never was a main focuse in this show.

Overall: Sasameki Koto is a show that is definitely not suitable for everyone. You either hate it for love it, thats one of the reason why i am not recommending it. Despite the negative issues i mentioned above, i enjoyed it even though i wished for more. Yuri fans might like it to a certain point. My only hope is that this show might get a second season in the future since there is plenty of material to adapt, but stuff like this are decided not by material but by profits ( Aoi Hana is a good example).

~Enjoy and Cya Around~

7.8/10 overall
MikeSinner's avatar By MikeSinner on Apr 11, 2012

For the most part I enjoyed it, but then for some reason they seemed to have a need to go ahead and ruin it by forgetting they were trying to tell a romantic story. Towards the end it became hard to follow through because I was seriously starting to doubt they could give it a proper finish.
And then comes the worst. They didn't.
They just give you the biggest crater of an open ending you may have seen in some time.

So, then I took a look around to find the manga and guess what? NO open ending there!
What the hell went wrong with the animation process? How could they have gotten sidetracked with random bull when the manga is big enough to provide plenty inspiration for even more episodes if they had wanted to. I really don't get it! Were they in such a hurry to get this tossed out as an anime they outran the manga?

Whatever it is they did, it just went wrong and that ruined a perfectly good story.
Yes, it may be a little sappy and we may have seen this before, but I liked the cuteness in this and at least the first half of the series had a nice flow.

Honestly I should probably rate this a lot lower, but I usually tend to rate pretty high anyway and I did still enjoy most of it.... If it had been less interesting from the start though, the points would be halved and I'd be branding this with a 4/10 at most.

Advice? I guess I will have to add another manga to my to read list... And that for somebody who hates reading... =( It's a shame I find out more and more just how much better the manga often is when compared to anime.

In any case, I cannot recommend this anime, especially if you are looking for a well put together and FINISHED story. It's just so sad, because it seemed so promising. Bummer!

Eaglexfox's avatar By Eaglexfox on May 11, 2011

Sasameki KotoThis anime is centered around the one-sided love that Sumika Murasame has on her best friend Ushio Kazama, who is openly into girls. The problem lies in the fact Kazama only likes "cute girls" and tall, athletic, and overall masculine Sumika does not fit the profile whatsoever. Chaos ensues as Sumika tries first, to ignore her feelings for her best friend by helping her find "a cute girlfriend" to trying to make herself more cute and girly in order to gain Kazama's affection. Throw unexspected plot twists, amuzing character interaction, and vague love triangles into the mix, and it makes Sasameki Koto a pretty entertaining anime.

My main problem however lies in how the series was concluded. The 13 episodes were a bit slow paced, and while the more-than-friend relationship between Simika and Kazama managed to heat up a bit towards the final episodes, the series ended on a boring and disappointing note. I found myself pushing myself through episodes 11 and 12 just so I could see Simika and Kazama FINALLY get together in the last episode (13) where the traditional, predictable fairly tail ending we all know and love is absent. It is clear at the end of the series the Sumika and Kazama did not confess their (apparent) feelings for each other, and continued onward with their best-friends-forever unsatisfying relationship.

For someone that is a girlxgirl fan looking for something light and somewhat entertaining to watch, Sasameki Koto is a good choice. However, those looking for a fast paced, passionate romance between girls, I recommend looking elsewhere.

UberSoldier's avatar By UberSoldier on Dec 12, 2011

3/10 point in Story cause there isnt much to tell.The two protagonist have little interaction with each other and its supposed to be a romance anime.No conclution in the end(i hate that ),i would prefer to either tell each other their feelings or be rejected and thats the end of it,but it leaves you with a lukewarm feeling.The Animation isnt half bad but it could have been better,so 6/10.Sound lacks a lot ,other than the OP u have a variety of 2-3 songs not so fit in this anime.Characters :They try but they dont have the true potensial drawn out.Other than the Protagonist Sumika Murasame and some of her random reactions nothing more special.

Overall:If u are looking for a romance anime this is not it.Very biased ending and little character interaction.I give it 4.5 becase it has some funny parts along with 2 maybe 3 romance scenes which never developed though.

4.5/10 overall