Samurai Flamenco

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Nov 23, 2013

One should really be prepared for what this show is all about. Regardless of what the premise and the first episodes make you believe the show is about, is not going to be valid for long. So if you want to get into this series with the proper mindset as means to enjoy it, it is crucial to be spoiled about a few things. So allow me to spare you the trouble and spell it out for you. Samurai Flamenco is a parody reconstruction of a superhero deconstruction, set in a laid back slice of life world, where supernatural stuff exist only if God said so. Sounds confusing, doesn’t it? Well like it or not, that’s what it is.

Set in the Noitamina timeslot, you of course need to expect the characters to feel sort of feminine, since it is aiming at middle aged women who prefer things to be easy going, regardless of how post apocalyptic the stories may be. Right off the bat, don’t expect excitement of the sort of Hollywood action flicks, nor expect manly brutes.

The biggest quirk this show has is its several genre shifts. It will constantly be switching from normal, to superhero campiness, and then back to a normal world. The reason for that is because the protagonist really wanted to be a superhero, and because there were no supernatural stuff in the world, God created them for him. And that is the explanation you get in the end of the show, and I have to spoil it for you if you don’t want to drop the show because of the genre shifts. For you see, when the show began everybody thought it would be a realistic take on how heroes would look in a typical world. Of course and it is embarrassing to have a guy dressing like a clown and going around preaching to people how to behave properly as if they are still in the kindergarten, and of course most wouldn’t take him seriously and try to kick his ass. Of course and the media or the police would try to unmask and ridicule him as a troublemaker. All that felt at place in the first episodes and you were made to think that, well, it may not be exciting but at least it is trying to depict how ridiculous it looks to try bringing lame idealism in a cynical world.

But when gorillas with guillotines in their bellies started appearing (aka Gorillatine), most of the audience was very confused. Many dropped it because it became ridiculous and others thought the whole thing was either special effects or the protagonist dreaming the whole thing. THERE IS NO WAY SUCH WEIRD STUFF CAN HAPPEN IN THIS SETTING. Well, turns out there can happen if God said so. Thus the ultimate deus ex machina is supposed to excuse your discomfort of having a realistic setting turning to Disneyland. As long as you can bear with it, you will like the show for the silly nonsense it is.

As for me? Well, I like exciting shows and this one never was. It remains all the way as nothing more than a light comedy about a zero turning to hero casually fending off gradually more ridiculously powerful enemies that popped into existence because God said so. Also, if you are waiting to see another Sunred or One Punch, or Kickass you won’t get that either. The daily lives of our heroes are filled with lots of silly moments one would expect to find in a fluffy shojo romance and not in a dynamic coming of age teen story. And indeed, what most of the viewers were more concerned about was if some of the girls were lesbians, or who was the secret girlfriend of one of the guys. Yeah, talk about being afraid of monsters that are trashing cities if you are wondering that sort of thing.

The way I see it, the show could have ended as a 1 cour mediocre parody of power rangers most would remember as a nice filler anime between better things. But nope, the show decided to head for 2 cour and the only way it for not becoming boring was to keep throwing in more and more absurd things to keep the audience guessing of what could possibly be causing all those supernatural stuff in a typical world. And it was God…

Now you may be wondering why I make such a fuss about the Big Cheese. The reason is, EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE if God feels like it. There is nothing to take for granted, all conflicts are rendered useless, and what is worse, the hero didn’t even know he was given a playground for his petty dreams. It’s like he unknowingly almost destroyed the world a dozen times because he was a brat, and nobody was telling him it was his fault. How childish and disgusting is this? How doesn’t that contradict the premise of a show where a superhero wants to protect the world, when he is the one endangering it, and then treat the whole thing as a joke?

Of course there will be those who will try to defend the show as EVERYTHING IS FORESHADOWED and that IT MAKES SENSE in the same way they consider Clannad to be the most realistic anime there ever was. Wish fulfillment doesn’t slide with me and what I mostly care about is excitement and consistency. This show has neither. I would have given it the base score if it remained a plain anime about a normal guy pretending to be superman. But it didn’t, it turned to a farce because God said so. There you go, have another Gorillatine. Now go stalk those lesbians.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 6/10
General Artwork 1/2 (generic)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (basic but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 1/2 (basic)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 3/5 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/5 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)

STORY SECTION: 5/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 1/2 (erratic)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 2/2 (rather cheesy but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)
Catharsis 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)

VALUE SECTION: 5/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too much ridiculous stuff because of God)
Memorability 4/4 (it is coocoo enough to remember it forever)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
Art 0/1 (looks typical)
Sound 0/2 (sounds meh)
Story 1/3 (had potential, turned to shit)
Characters 2/4 (they are ok, nothing special)

VERDICT: 5/10

Namorax's avatar By Namorax on Dec 19, 2013

This is one strange anime. Ever since I first heard of Samurai Flamenco I had no idea what it was supposed to be about.

Recently they released the 11th episode and I still have no clue what is going on (Maybe thats why there still isnt a series summary).

Considering the starting situation I thought it was about a guy who did what many others only dreamed of: to become a superhero, or at least someone who fights "evil" in the name of "justice". (Definition of "evil" and "justice" are optional and might not be included in the final product.)

Something I rather liked were the 2 "main characters": Goto is a normal guy working as a cop, and Hazama is an actor who wants to become a hero like the ones he saw in his childhood series. While Hazama goes off and experiences a reality that is considered "normal" in every Power Ranger universe, we still have Goto who continues to live in a "normal" reality that could be considered the same as our because he certainly shows reactions we'd show in his place or at least consider normal.

And that was moderately interesting for a while. But then they started to add so many plot twists that barely anything is left from the first few episodes. I'm guessing they try to cover every superhero/power-ranger trope that ever existed.

Spoilers ahead:

###########################################

Normaly you'd expect the series to wrap up after the MC manages to reach his goal. In Samurai Flamencos Case (based on the 1st episode) this would be the message that you dont need to be a hero to fight against evil.

Instead he gets sidekicks, a kind-of-mentor to teach him the way of being a hero, some crazy scientist to make gadets for him AND an evil organization pops up trying to defeat him, complete with faceless minions and strange monsters. Everything culminates in a fight against the final boss, saving all of Japan from certain doom.

And all that time there are other question haunting the viewers: Will we ever see Goto's rumoreed Girlfriemd that only sends textmessages to him? Where do all these strange people disguising themselves as evil monster come from? And what happend to Samurai Flamenco's side kicks who were captured and threatened to be tortured which left one of them in tatters psychologically and clothe-wise? (They went out of their way to show how the event affected her...)

WHO CARES? :D

Now that they covered the lone-hero-fighting-against-evil part, they decide to turn the heat up another level: The final boss wasn't the last boss after all and the REAL final boss (including the REAL evil organization hellbent on destryoing Japan) appears to defeat Samurai Flamenco. But fear not! His strange kind-of-mentor went ahead and secretly founded a super-secret hero organization to fight against exactly this REAL evil organization. And he already has a hero team prepared for Samurai Flamenco to allow him to continue this fight, including vehicles that combine to form a giant robot! Because IF there is something better then a hero, it has to be a TEAM of heroes! With morphing vehicles!!

###########################################

If you can make sense out of it, please post a review because personally, I am unable to do so. On the one hand I kinda want to see how they will continue the sereis, but at the time I have this (bad) feeling I haven't seen all the tropes they plan to draw on yet.

If I didnt know it better, I would say the whole series is centered about a guy who wants to become a hero, and multiple people who have more fame, money and time at their hands who decide they also want to play the hero game (and not necessarily as the good guys) and as a result they turn Japan into one giant movie-set which nobody really knows about.

axelenz's avatar By axelenz on Apr 21, 2014

Samurai Flamenco! Model Hazama becomes a superhero, without having any superpowers or technology to create a high-powered suit. Honor of a samurai and passion of a flamenco dancer, Samurai Flamenco begins to fight crime for justice. Police officer Gotō finds out about Samurai Flamenco and his real identity on one of his routes, which leads to him getting involved into danger. Nonetheless, these two young men will come face to face with hardships of being crime-fighters while discovering what it means to be a hero of justice!

8.5/10 characters
duchessliz's avatar By duchessliz on Jul 3, 2014

How many plot twists can one anime have?  -_-'

There are so many things I can say about this ... so very many things...

Samurai Flamenco starts off as a simply awesome anime. The first arc was incredibly entertaining and leaves you with the feeling that this is going to be a fantastic anime ... and then you hit its first plot twist ...

I sat there dumbfounded. I-I didn't know what the freck had just happened! Then the second one happened and I just gaped at my computer unable to comprehend wtf was going on! By the third ... well, let's just say I wasn't surprised anymore... -_-"

You simply cannot take this show seriously! If you do, you're in for major disappointment!

Despite the craziness I was still somehow able to make it through the entire anime, and I still found it absurdly entertaining. Samurai Flamenco is kind of like a train wreck. I simply couldn't look away...

The animation wasn't bad, nor was the soundtrack ... the characters, on the other hand, were one big giant bag of crazy! Hell, the only one you think is sane turns out to be one of the craziest! (sad, but unfortunately true). And the plot ... sweet baby jesus, the plot! It was like they crammed every corny superhero cliche into 22 episodes and then went "Awwwesommme!" ... no, just NO! *shakes head sadly*

I suspected for the longest time the staff and crew were either extraordinarily high whilst making this anime ... or extremely drunk! And honestly that may very well be their secret. I still cannot even begin to fathom who thought this up! It makes my brain hurt too much, so I'm not even going to try!

I will say though that I actually enjoyed the last antagonist. The wrap up though made me yell at the screen... I still don't get why Masayoshi- ehheem- you know what? Watch it. You'll understand why that wrap up made me facepalm and then made me want to bash my head violently against the wall ... -_-'

Overall an absurdly ridiculous anime that you can't take seriously. It has so many plot twists that you'll lose track... It will mess with your head if you even try to take it seriously. If you give it a go ... I say good luck! I hope you come out of it still sane ... (I question my own)