Sailor Moon R

Alt titles: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R

wolfangel87's avatar By wolfangel87 on Dec 3, 2010

Story: Like a fine wine Sailor Moon R gets better with time from it's predecessor Sailor Moon.  The Black Moon Arc introduces the same cast of characters are back with new villains to fight.  The season split in two with the first part having the Doom Tree aliens appear, Ann and Alan.  The second part of the season introduces the Black Moon villains.  This time there is a little surprise waiting for Serena and Darien, Rini, there are also three new scouts that are found: Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn (Pluto was seen very briefly in the first season).

Animation: The animation is in the same style as in Sailor Moon.  Simple, realistic and for the time period.

Sound: The soundtrack was done well for the time period and helps to set the mood of the scene.

Characters: The characters and story continue to be developed as the mystery of what happened in the Crystal Kingdom is revealed and the destiny of the characters is foretold.  The new characters (Especially the corresponding villains) are a good foil for the characters that were already introduced.

Overall: I thought that the second season of Sailor Moon was better than the first.  The whole entire plot development takes on a new step in the second series making the episodes irresistible and the characters more lovable that before.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
FreddyCrab's avatar By FreddyCrab on Feb 28, 2012

Story: In comparison with the first Sailor Moon series, I found this one a bit of a bore, but thats not to say it wasn't good. The first story arc involves two new aliens, twins who fight the Sailor Senshi. This part only went on for about 13 episodes, so I felt there wasn't enough screen time for it actually to seem more than a quick little filler.

As for the actual story, MiniMoon appearred. This wasn't good for me, Minimoon (completely unlike in Sailor Moon S) did nothing but annoy me. She would spend all her time getting in the way of the characters, causing mindless trouble and spend whole episodes of time thinking about home. This made me get bored of this series of Sailor Moon. The ending was a slight improvement, but unlike the last series, none of the Sailor Senshi died, it was a lot less adult and seemed like a show for three year olds in the way the edding was handled. In comparison with series one and series three, this series' ending dissappointed me, it was too cute and fluffy.

Animation: For the nineties, it was pretty good. But nowadays I have to say I dislike the art of Sailor Moon R. It was blurry, messy and I didn't like the proportions of the characters. But acting as if it were the nineties, I have to say for then its pretty impressive.

Sound: Same as the original series, it suits the show and its sweet.

Characters: Minimoon irritated me, which took out a lot of enjoyment from the show. As for the main Sailor Senshi, I always got the feel a lot of them weren't shown to have much personality other than Rei and Usagi. Ami just felt lifeless to me, Mina was just a graceful version of Usagi and Makoto was just an agressive girl. This improves in later series, but for me they were unrelatable, with only one or two exceptions.

Overall: The worst Sailor Moon series out of the ones I've seen so far (the first three). Minimoon annoyed me, the ending dissappointed me and in general this was too babyish for me. I'm sure more loyal Sailor Moon fans will like it nonetheless.

7.5/10 animation
HottAznChick's avatar By HottAznChick on Apr 25, 2013

Story: I am sorry but I just can't seem to fully love Chibi-Usa(Rini). I know she is a kid and she hasn't learn much yet and you can't expect much from an 8 year old but still I don't enjoy her character. The story truly will revolve around her so it's interesting. I will say that I love how this storyline is based on the future so you get a glimpse of how life will be. I enjoyed the future scenes in the show but wished it was as good as the first season.

Animation: Animation is better than the first but it's still not the complete best. Like my previous review of Sailor Moon, you can't really compare this series with something made in 2013. So with that said, I think it's pretty good animation. There was a huge upgrade in artwork that I noticed from the first season like brighter and bolder use of color. I felt that it was a lot more colorful than the first and I really enjoyed that.

Soundtrack: I always enjoy a Sailor Moon soundtrack because they tend to use the same or similar music and I like that. I don't mind having new music but something about the old music just makes my heart melt. I love the overall soundtrack of Sailor Moon because it reminds you of certain scenes. I am always a fan of the Sailor Moon Soundtrack.

Characters: Again, great in depth characterization of each Sailor Scout. What I liked most about this series was how in depth they went into the villains. You get to learn so much about them and why they act that way. It's always a great for me to know how and why a person is who they are. Everyone is born good and it's how you are raised and what affects you that makes you an evil person. I love being able to be compassionate towards the villains in the show. On the other hand, I don't like Chibi-Usa's personality but that's just me. (Yes, I don't like the kid, but that's only in this series. I find her more enjoyable in season 4).

Overall: I would say it is not as action packed as the first season but it's still a really great show to watch. This season is my most unliked season of the Sailor Moon series because I can't stand Chibi-Usa(Rini). But the future scenes are so amazing and I just love how Neo Queen Serenity looks like. She is everything I imagined and she looks just like her mom. Chibi-Usa looks more like Queen Serenity of Silver Millenium(Princess Serenity's Mom from Season 1). Overall, still a likeable season but there's better seasons.

9.8/10 animation