Rosario to Vampire

Shidira's avatar By Shidira on Nov 22, 2009

Story: The idea behind this story is a neat twist on the generally bland ecchi and harem genre. A boy named Tsukune Aono becomes enrolled on accident to Youkai Academy, a school for monsters! Tsukune is just your average boy with nothing going for him, typical of this genre, but he soon finds himself in a very unusual situation. He first meets a girl with pink hair, Moka, who he very quickly finds is a vampire, but she also harbors a secret identity within. There is a rosary around her neck, that when taken off, she becomes a super powerful vampire. Through the rest of the series, he makes friends with a succubus named Kurumu, the ice woman Mizore, and a young witch named Yukari.

Other than the first and last two episodes pertaining to the main story of him actually being a human within a world for monsters, the rest of the episodes are just about his daily life with these people and how he meets them. This generally involves Tsukune getting beat up or mind controlled by them, and then ends up accidently pulling off Moka's rosary to release her powerful vampire side. The powerful Moka then proceeds to beat up the person real quick, then by the end, the person becomes a good friend. While this seems a very poor way to make these people into friends, it is done rather well, and the events from one episode to the next flow together nicely.

I gave the story a six. While the first and last parts of the series tell a decent tale, there really is not much else to it. During many parts of the series, it almost become hard to tell Tsukune is having troubles being a human in a monster school, other than when his friends use their monster powers, but then is quickly forgotten again. Through the series, many characters comment on how he smells like a human, but no one really questions it until the very end, to bring out the main conflict of the story. Apparently these monsters have excellent smelling capabilities, but cannot really tell with Tsukune, so little things like this do not make much sense. Other than these few gripes, the rest of the story was pretty enjoyable and even got me a little excited during some of the parts, especially towards the end.

Animation: The animations were excellently done and consistent throughout the series. Colors were used very liberally and the backgrounds were well done and detailed pretty decently as well. The art for the backgrounds also did a great job for setting up a feel for the area the characters were in. The characters were drawn very different from each other and made each character stick out in certain ways, making them pretty memorable characters. The animation deserved a ten from me; it was just well done and really helped enhance the story.

Sound: The sound used was just as well done as the animation. The sound effects were great and were not overbearing at all. The music was perfectly done and fit the style of the anime perfectly, and were also fit within the anime at the most appropriate times, setting the different moods just right. The voice acting was also very good. Each voice fit the character perfectly and only added to the enjoyment of the characters. This was done well enough for a ten.

Characters: The characters were quite entertaining and done just right. Each character was given a decent amount of screen time to tell their story and to go through the process of conflict and resolution, to become friends with Tsukune. The only bad thing was some of the characters did not have enough screen time after their story, such as Mizore and another witch met later, Ruby. These characters could have been given a little more screen time instead of being practically background props. Other than that, I decided to give the characters an eight. I was not quite as hard on the series for this only because it is only thirteen episodes long and the story did a decent enough job of presenting the characters, given it is an ecchi harem comedy, which is not known for having the best character developments.

Overall: Overall, this series earned a seven from me. It was definitely one of the few series within this particular genre to try and go above and beyond the standard and was successful. The comedy in this was also not too shabby. It had me laughing in many parts, but the parts where there was comedy, they were not inappropriately placed. This series had a pretty good mix of seriousness with comedy and is definitely worth a look if you enjoy this genre of anime. I do not believe you will be disappointed.

jade161588's avatar By jade161588 on Dec 14, 2010

Rosario + Vampire (we'll just call it "Rosario") was a decent moe Anime. Cute girls of all types, the dimwitted guy, and school setting all work together to make a cliché but enjoyable Anime for both guys and girls.

The story is about a boy named Tsukune Aono who gets accepted into a private school full of demons disguised as humans. Of course, he doesn't know it's a school of demons at first. He quickly befriends Moka Akashiya, a bright and cheerful vampire with a taste for only Tsukune's blood. The two eventually work out a pact to keep Tsukune's human identity a secret, for if the school finds out that the's not a demon, he will be killed. The story goes on to reveal both characters' strengths and weaknesses as well as their real personalities. They meet more friends like the succubus Kurumu, the witch Yukari, and the ice woman demon (yuki-onna) Mizore. And when the characters are in a pinch, Tsukune often finds himself accidentally taking off the cross rosario around Moka's neck to reveal the sealed, true form of Moka Akashiya who is ruthless, cold, and powerful.

Though the story progresses smoothly, I know I was caught at times wondering why a few of the episodes were necessary. The first 'season' spans only thirteen episodes and one would think that within thirteen episodes, each episode would greatly impact the storyline overall. While there were character progression in the episodes, I feel they could have been intertwined into a better plot development.

It's also necessary to point out that this isn't a cliffhanger Anime. The end of most of the episodes are the end of that particular mini-story and you aren't waiting to finish a scene by watching another episode. I really appreciated this because I tend to end up watching a full season in one sitting thanks to cliffhangers. This Anime let me take breaks and come back to it the next day. It was an easy going Anime.

It was also easy for the eyes. It wasn't too flashy or too high paced. I also felt that the art was beautiful and cute. Men may find the women to be well drawn and well endowed (unless you're into the under-developed, in which case you have Yukari). Women may find the characters to be cute and lovable. It's not drawn to be all that sexual and it wasn't drawn to be a sappy romance Anime. I think the art style appeals to both genders quite well.

Couple the well done graphics with well done soundtrack and you have a decent Anime. The mood shifts often in each episode and whatever music they pair with the scene compliments each mood without a drastic change.

Speaking of mood shifts, I'd like to explain why there is such drastic mood shifts. The characters all have a very wide range of personalities. Even the characters on the side have very definitive personalities. Though the problems presented in each episode vary from trivial to life threatening, there's always a character to lighten the mood or make things serious.

Overall, Rosario was very well done. The comedy within it made it very entertaining even if the serious moments are too ridiculous to like. Each characters' personalities nearly guarantees that you will have a favorite character (I love Mizore). Each episode, even if not necessary to the storyline, is short and to the point. This Anime is just a nice 'feel-good' Anime to watch once in awhile when you're bored. The series as a whole is short and it really doesn't require you to invest a lot of time. I'd recommend this Anime to anyone who's stuck waiting between new episode releases of other Animes they may be currently watching.

zar14's avatar By zar14 on Feb 24, 2010

this was a great anime. i loved it. i really enjiy the idea of vamoires and werewolves and other creatures, and what made it more interesting is thast they made look SEXY! even though there really was no story and its just tsukune (whos human) going to a monster skool and the whole anime is just telling his life story, im sure any guy would want to have his life because he has 5 girls fighting over him. yea thats right 5! during the course of the show more and more come. of course he stars with one but as time passes he meets more and more they fall for him and the trick is only these girls kno that he is human. if the rest of the skool found out he was human he would be killed on the spot. i recomend watching it jus for laughs cuz it is hilarious it has great animation. hope you enjoy!

tyr's avatar By tyr on Aug 27, 2010

At first I really didn't like this anime.

The plot seemed absolutely stupid. Sub-Harry Potter stuff. It was just all...ugh. Crappy.

But. I stook at it...And you know. It grew on me.

Sure, its formulaic, sure its got the typical cliche of a bunch of girls being mad about a lame guy. But...you don't always want War and Peace. Sometimes you just want a little generic bit of shallow entertainment.

The big complaint I have against this anime I must say is one which it seems to think is its main selling point- it increased it for the second series. The fan service. Its just...awful. All the constant underwear shots and that effing girl with the lollypop. Its just not sexy! The opening credits for the second series take this to stupid extremes (albeit with a super irrelevant theme song which grew on me).

If you can find somewhere private to watch it though where you won't be judged then its a nice way to giggle away 20 or so minutes. Once you get over the initial reaction of hating it of course.

Fireaxe's avatar By Fireaxe on Oct 5, 2009

...meh.... I really liked the first couple of episodes, when they introduced every character in its own way, but those last 5-6 episodes were a total pain to go through...

Loved the backgrounds and some of the character designs (especially Moka and Mizore), but goddamn they screwed up every time they tried to make the story a little more serious. That final episode couldn't have been more anti-climatic, the super-bad-vilain of the show was introduced in the second-to-last episode, right? In the end, this series was a total waste of my time. If only I could have my 4 hours back...