Redline

animeandwwefanDXXD's avatar By animeandwwefanDXXD on Dec 25, 2011

Redline!!!! possibly the anime movie of the year, and definately quite deserving of the name, although dont let the 2010 release date fool you, i belive this was actually started in 2006 or 2007 and has only just been finished, and for australia, was only just relaesed on dvd early december 2011

anyway as for the story, i had read and heard a lot of hype and praise for redline before i watched it, mostly for its animation and story - which i admit i wasnt all too excited about after hearing it was about racing,(not really my favourite genre, but that may be because ive played far too many bad car racing games) but after all the hype i really wanted to watch it, and when i did, was i ever proven wrong :D

the race is basically what the story is, a fast race of a movie, action and drama packed and holds your attention completely from start to finish, with the exception of one of the race scenes, but that was the only moment my eyes werent glued to the tv screen :)

starting off we have sweet jp, described by many as "a chain smoking badass" and in the dubbed version which i watched, his nickname of "sweet jp" is never really explained, but then in the subbed making of on the dvd, it expalins he got the nickname for his refusal to use weapons, despite everyone else doing so.

then he has his crew of his childhood friend/ mechanic also half double crossing him by screwing up his races with te mafia - i say half, because  jp knows, and he ageed once, but when he's racing doesnt seem to know his car is rigged with explosive. they team up with the badass/funny/ "old man" mechanic/parts dealer -who has an awesome badass part later on in the movie :D

and then the last main charachter is sonoshee, also the lead female role, she plays a big part in the movie, as she develops a relationship with jp....

but thats it for the Main charachters, but even for charachters this movie still rules, every charachter has a distinct personality, and there are so many! :D one of my favourites (although not shown much) would have to be the corrupt cop, especially the part where he throws around the news reporters!!! lol!!!!

as animation goes,i'm no animation critic, in fact i usually dont even notice the difference between high quality and low quality video, but i must say the animation in this is really good, you can really see the contrast and stylisation, and i really like how they use the colour black for some of the shadows/effects instead of shades of grey, all in all it really is a great and unique animatoin style

and lastly sound - the area where i dont always have too much to say about, in the making of redline they talked aout how they put a lot of effort and detail into the sound, but i didnt really realise/notice the differnece compared to other anime, i just remember them talking about how they even had the sound of the leather, which i guess was pretty cool, but my focus was on the soundtrack/songs which were awesome!! even though there was no song/theme that i really liked except for redline day, they all definately fit the theme and situation of the movie and what was going on in that time.

so overall 10/10, its a great anime movie and one of those that needs you to watch it a 2nd time to soak it all in - its action packed, its fast its furious, its badass and its awesome!!!!!!!!!

so anyway i guess thats it for this review :) enjoy the movie! :D

sacchi's avatar By sacchi on Aug 26, 2011

(Minor spoilers. If you're reading this to decide whether to watch the movie or not - go watch it. Nao. What's the worst that can happen? That you don't like it? And the best? That you have an amazing time :D. Let's face it, it's not like you had something productive to do anyways.)

Redline is a fantastic anime movie that everyone will have a good time watching.

Let us start by discussing the plot. Redline is a movie about a man who loves racing, and has always wanted to participate in Redline, the most popular race of the universe. The plot is far from original. The whole storyline is predictable. This will make any viewer who wished to be treated with a complex, thought-provoking storyline end disappointed, as Redline doesn't promise you anything. It doesn't aim to have an intricate plot, and it certainly doesn't need one.

Moving on to the characters, there are several ones, most of which you won't care about, and go completely underdeveloped throughout the movie. Redline might have many characters, but they do not interact between them in surprising ways. Still, I wouldn't go as far as to call all the characters frequent stereotypes. I'm not an authority on anime/real life racing movies, so I'm not sure if these characters are common or not - but for the normal anime viewer, the one that rarely sees races in animes - the characters will be just fine.

So, everything sounds so boring until now, doesn't it? Why does this anime deserve your time?

It's because Redline promises you 100 straight minutes of awesomeness. Redline's ultimate objective is to entertain you. It's common senses - entertainment should be enjoyable, and yet we often see series or movies that fall flat. Redline aims high, and it succeedes.

The storyline, as I said, is very basic. And that's all it needs to be - there's no need for more. You wouldn't want more. The characters do not develope, but they don't need to. They are very fun to watch just like they are.  Every single character adds something to the movie - be it a secondary or main character. They have their motives, they have their personality and several minor characters - like the "King of Redline" - the winner of all recent Redline races, often steal entire scenes when they're on screen. Each character, from our main lead to those who appear briefly, are not much by themselves. But their combination, provide the movie with an amazing, full of life and dynamic setting that viewers will be pleased to see.

Finally, there's the need to talk about Redline's key factor for its success: If you were to describe this movie to somebody, describing all the plot from the start to its ending, it wouldn't be much. But what Redline does, it does so in style. I'm willing to compare this movie to Gurren Lagann.

It's visuals are mind-blowing. The action is non-stop. The soundtrack is amazing. This is about characters trying to fulfill their dreams, about a race that gives the middle finger to a nation's sovereignty, saying screw you, trying to win no matter what. And it's very, very cool while showing all that.

Redline is an epic movie. It's a feast for your eyes, and a very good way to spend your next 100 minutes. Go download it, it'll be worth it.

Uriel1988's avatar By Uriel1988 on Aug 20, 2011

Redline is excellent proof that you can have too much of a good thing. Especially when you
neglect everything else in the process.

The first 10 minutes do an excellent job of letting viewers know what’s in store for
them. It’s here that the film treats us to an intense and gorgeously animated
race sequence and equally beautiful backgrounds and character models. From
there on out it’s clear that the films intent is to overwhelm the viewer with
adrenaline-filled races brought to life with mouth-watering animation and
sound. Storyline and character development are of the lowest priority.

It’s no surprise, then, that Redline sticks closely to the usual 3 act structure. We’re
first given a taste of things to come while the personalities and motivations
of the major players are established, topped off with introducing the long term
goal. The second act is all about the preparation with some rudimentary
attempts at character development while act 3 is the main attraction: a
40-minute onslaught of non-stop racing packed with over-the-top, high speed
moments and more explosions than 3 Michael Bay films put together.

Sounds good on paper. But Redline goes so overboard with its spectacle that it somehow
becomes a bit dull. It’s simply too much.

First off, there are too many characters. The main characters are pretty forgettable and
the only contestant who was somewhat cool was the established champion. The
film further hurts itself by introducing subplots and characters who aren’t
related to the race. A sizable chunk of screentime is reserved for a b-story
involving an evil government (basically space-China) that’s out to stop the
race and dig up some ancient weapons or something. Ultimately they’re only
there to cause tons of explosions and other kinds of destruction. This in a
film that’s already filled to the brim with explosions and spectacular set
pieces.

This is Redline’s second excess. There is simply too much going on in the third act. A
big race alone would have made for a wonderfully thrilling climax but Redline
throws in an obligatory mafia subplot as well as the aforementioned evil
government. What it all leads to? Stuff getting blown up and more stuff getting
blown up.

This wouldn’t have been so bad if there was a reason to care or even some sense of
urgency but there isn’t.  All the cars
race at impossible speeds and run just fine even after taking enough damage to
wreck 10 spaceships. The result is that tension is basically nonexistent in
this film. Nobody of note dies and damage to the vehicle is shrugged off so
easily that one gets the feeling the only thing at stake is the film’s running
time.

It’s a real pity seeing as the film is brilliantly animated and incredibly stylish. The
film had a production history of 7 long years and you can tell when watching it
that all that time was well spent in honing the stunning visuals to perfection.
It’s no exaggeration that this is a new benchmark in terms of pure animation. The
film’s many characters have detailed, instantly distinguishable models and are
fluidly animated, machines roar and rush over surfaces with incredible speed
and there’s even the occasional use of deformed animation for stylish effect
that’s very effective. The visuals in Redline are a labor of love and the best
part is that it overwhelms the senses in a way that seems difficult (perhaps
impossible) to replicate in another medium.

In the end, that makes it all the more tragic that these gorgeous visuals aren’t telling a
story worth caring about. Worse yet, its main hook (the visuals) simply can’t
be used to carry a 100-minute feature film. Some serious editing could have
reduced it to have its length and it would’ve made for a better-flowing and
much more enjoyable viewing experience.

As it is, Redline is a stunningly animated but overlong film with such incompetent
storytelling that it cannot reach its full potential. One can only hope that
first-time director Takashi Koike’s next project will be a lot more polished.
As it is, the talent is there. It simply needs to be honed and guided properly.

RingoStarr1991's avatar By RingoStarr1991 on Oct 30, 2012

Straight from my blog!!

***This is a spoiler free review. Even if you are somehowed spoiled by this review, the plot is almost non-existent***

After sitting through Redline, a Madhouse animated movie, I am having quite a hard time trying to fathom what I just watched. Starting from the first scene where the clumsy old dad is trying to set up his camera to take a picture of the racers, I was instantly glued to the screen. The mouthwatering visuals and chilling sound effects are more than enough to please an average Joe’s thirst of racing but what about all that other mombo jumbo that people plea for? What’s it called…oh yeah story and character development?

Story: 5.4/10

The basic premise is that “Redline” is a race where only the best racers can complete in. Our main man JP goes through a lot of trouble to get to this race and with a little help from fellow racer Sonoshee, they might just win the entire thing. While everything about this movie screams production value, one thing that was overlooked (and maybe for good reason) was the plot. While it isn’t the best thought provoking material I have ever experienced, the movie does keep you invested throughout its entire one hundred and one minutes. The hidden beauty of this is while the plot is dubbed down to the generic first race--->break--->last race formula, they give us just barely enough to hold onto. I would of liked a better character development (it’s there but it is thrown together very half hazardly) but it worked well enough.  What really drags the score down is the ending…it just seems like it suddenly stops. We have the super buildup to the final stretch and then…it ends. Plus they had the audacity to have the most unneeded confessing of feelings at the last frame. It was just…somewhat of a letdown because I thought we were out of old anime’s bad habits.

Animation: 10/10

Here we go again…throwing out a perfect score is something I find very hard to do but boy I do not think I will ever see something this unique and beautiful in my life ever again. After doing a little bit of research, I found that it took around seven years to complete this movie (talk about a HUGE gamble). Everything is HAND DRAWN. Madhouse really created a visual masterpiece that will last into the endless future. Every scene flows very well into each other, the facial expressions are very believable, the lighting is so spot on, and the character models are so detailed. This movie sports the best lighting I have ever seen; when it’s out on the desert, the sun reflects off of everything. Inside the nightclub the fish tanks in the background glow and shine onto the adjacent tables. It’s just…so hard to put it into words how amazing the movie looks. Even if you are turning this away due to the lack of plot please just watch it for the visuals and sounds. Treat it like a Transformers movie; its complete s#!t but it’s amazing looking s#!t.

Sound: 10/10

Again with the perfect score…Every car has their own unique and amazing sounds that stick within the entire show. From the crowd cheers to the main character’s voices, this anime just sounds orgasmic. Even the techno (correct me if that is the wrong way to express it) soundtrack is spot on and off the track.

Characters: 6.5/10

While the characters of this anime are forgettable and uninspiring, JP does stick out a little bit. At first I thought he was just a junky gear head but after a while he did start to grow on me. Heck even Sonoshee made me gleam a little bit towards the end. Just know that the other characters will most likely not bring a lasting impression; they show up, race, and then leave stage left.

Overall: 8/10

The score says 8 but in my mind it is a gear head’s bread and butter. If you want to turn your brain off and enjoy the best looking, sounding, and feeling anime to come out in years then this is your calling. I hope more animation studios take their chances on projects like this in the future.

***When JP triggers the nitro get ready to s#!t bricks***

Enjoyment: 10/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

5.4/10 story
6.5/10 characters
truthillusion's avatar By truthillusion on Aug 19, 2011

~Some minor spoilers, but nothing super revealing~

I am not a fan of racing. Things like Nascar bore me to death. I find it to be one of the worst video game ideas. And, when it comes to anime, even things like Initial D and Speed Racer aren't able to jump start my interest in racing. When I first got the intention of watching Redline, I hadn't a clue it was about racing. I was actually watching a conversation where people were discussing the animation on an anime forum and I decided that all the positive things they were saying about it was an excellent reason to watch it.

Again, I hate racing, so you should take me seriously when I say that I find Redline to be a masterpiece. A futuristic race involving people across numerous alien species taking place on a hostile planet? From that concept alone, one would probably think of the Pod Races in Star Wars. But, trust me when I say that Redline is actually far better than that mediocrity.

As I initially said, it was the discussion of Redline's animation that drew me to watch it, and I was far from being disappointed. Redline exhibited some of the best visuals I've ever seen from an anime. Never before have I seen an anime I felt could be comparable to the Kara no Kyoukai series (which I've felt has been a pinnacle of animation for a very long time) in terms of animation, if it didn't outright blow it away. The very opening scene of this anime where it has the nut shells hitting the floor set the entire stage for the animation quality; showing amazing quality and details that few animes have ever actually put the time and effort into showing.

The sound is perfect. I know that it seems like it'd be difficult to screw up the sound on an anime, but Redline put almost every anime to shame when it comes to sound. Perfect voice acting, perfect soundtrack and perfect sound effects; just an overall perfect performance from the sound.

Often times when watching anime, I have this complaint that the characters aren't real. That they don't seem like a realistic archetype of what humans actually are, which is typically followed by not making very realistic choices, which then end up placing the characters into a flop of a plot because of their terrible choices. The characters in Redline are beyond believable, but their personalities and background information help you better understand them as a person. I can claim that I've known many people in my life who would do the same choices and paths as the main protagonist, JP. Although, romance seems to spark up a tad easily between him and a special girl I'm not revealing the name of, it's still fairly acceptable, for it does nothing to break the plot and helps you understand the characters even better. This is one of the few instances of perfection out of characters I have ever seen come out of animation.

The story of Redline is fairly simplistic at it's core. JP is in the biggest race in history, but his buddy is constantly selling him out to lose for the mafia for tons of money, so JP has to learn how to outdo racers with weapons and his buddy selling him out. But, on top of this, they're racing on a planet that's filled with a hostile race that doesn't want their military compounds being filmed for the universe to see and uses military and doomsday-like weapons as a means to bring down the racers. To top it all off, the people in charge of and racing in the race (called 'Redline,' so you know) are all even more pumped into racing with these added hostile odds, which all leads to huge, dramatic scenes of clusterfucks of weaponry and destruction. The plot is fairly solid, despite being filled with clusterfucks of weaponry and destruction.

As I said in the beginning, Redline is a masterpiece. Granted, I didn't give it a 10/10, but that's because of how critical I am on racing based plots. I was entertained 100% of the time, and to be honest, what more do you need from an anime?

9.8/10 overall