Ping Pong Club

cassiesheepgirl's avatar By cassiesheepgirl on Sep 1, 2009

When I started watching Ping Pong Club, I didn’t expect very much from it. If I’m honest, all I wanted was a sneaky giggle and some crude fun. What I got was all of the crude, none of the entertainment, and about as many laughs as you’d find at a clown’s funeral. Actually, I take that back; the latter would provide many more opportunities for amusement than this monstrosity of a series.

The show focuses on the antics of the Ina Middle School’s male ping-pong club. When they face closure, they must win the district tournament in order for their club to escape abolishment. Unfortunately the majority of the members consist of perverted slackers, who have little to no interest in actually playing the sport. In a desperate bid to get them to practice, a new female manager, Kiyoko, arrives and offers a month-long pervert pass to whoever performs best at the competition. Unfortunately, after less than a third of the way into the series, the district tournament has finished, and with it goes the show’s only real attempt at including any form of plot.

Ping Pong Club simply offers an outlet to showcase the deranged activities of the club’s members, occasionally throwing in the threat of the girl’s team taking over their clubroom to give the pretence of an actual storyline. I can excuse the absence of plot to some extent, but the lack of humour is the series’ most detrimental downfall. Though I am the first to admit that comedy is purely subjective, I had at least hoped that in twenty-six episodes, my lips would at least threaten to curve into a half-hearted smile. Alas, even the barely smirk-worthy jokes, such as Maeno’s ‘Protruding Pecker Serve’, soon become relegated to the realms of the bloody annoying with the show’s excessive repetition. Now I like a good knob joke, but after seeing Maeno’s wiener peering out from his shorts the first couple of times, the subsequent hundred occasions on which the series seems to re-use this gag merely provides employment for out of work tumbleweeds.

In a desperate bid to find something nice to say about this god-awful series, I will concede that the visual style perfectly suits the content – both are cheap, crude and nasty. The more normal cast members look like stock characters hastily grabbed from a bin of mediocre design that no one really cares about nor notices. On the other side of the paddle there are the ‘zany’ cast members, whose grotesque appearance had me reaching for the sick bag on more than one occasion. The worst offender is Maeno – the most hideously unattractive character that I’ve ever witnessed. However, kudos goes to the naked old age pensioner who gets her wrinkly boobs stuck in a shower drain for forcibly burning such an horrific image into my retinas for life. Building upon this visual rape, Ping Pong Club fails to display any smooth movement, and instead relies upon an abundance of panning shots, presumably in the hope that the poor animation quality will go unnoticed.

I find that in any comedy series, the soundtrack is the key to making a humorous situation completely riotous. Regrettably the cheesy score only makes a weak attempt at enhancing the comedy and thus not only fails its purpose, but also becomes incredibly annoying at the same time. Ultimately both the music and voice acting offer nothing particularly worthy of mention – let alone praise – and may as well be forgotten.

Ping Pong Club boasts the most incredibly terrible cast that has ever managed to ooze its way onto my screen. The majority of the characters fall into the category of ‘one-trick ponies’, where each person receives a single measly personality trait, which results in tiring and endless running gags. For example, Tanabe’s presence would be insignificant if not for his horrendous body odour. While fun to point and snigger the first time his odious stench causes someone to pass out, the joke soon wears thin, and the realisation that his personality has no substance whatsoever quickly becomes apparent.

The characters fortunate enough to avoid the ‘one-trick pony’ trap, inevitably suffer from their own pitfalls. Takeda, as the most insipidly normal member of the series, manages to excite less than the dusty ping-pong balls that lurk in the corner of the clubroom. Maeno and Izawa's outrageous double-act antics provide the majority of the show's 'entertainment' – and believe me, I use that word very loosely – but their wacky personalities are unable to compensate for the weaknesses of the others. Against all my hopes to the contrary, Ping Pong Club exhibits a complete lack of character development and subsequently mocks me for being so foolish as to expect any kind of redemption from it. While the show feebly attempts once or twice to develop its cast of immature and crude idiots, it instead manages to once again fail. By the end the same pack of annoying, pathetic buffoons awaits.

Overall

The biggest joke of the entire series was that I actually continued to watch it until its inevitably pointless conclusion. I had hoped that it might get better – it didn’t. I thought maybe there might have been some twist at the end to make trudging through the twenty-six mind-numbing episodes worth it – there wasn’t. Ping Pong Club certainly proves that simply pushing the boundaries of tastelessness with its crude humour does not immediately equal good comedy – or, in this particular case, any at all.

1.5/10 animation
0.5/10 characters
1.5/10 overall
Funari's avatar By Funari on Aug 16, 2011

Oh, boy... Ping Pong Club. Thought it'd be ping pong perverted humor. Was wrong. It was a show that made being a pervert a goal in life, a passion, a direction in life that makes most other series' pervs who try to peep on girls in the onsen look downright decent and upstanding citizens. No chance to molest females was left unused, no chance to gross someone out with waving your dick around was ignored. And ping pong was pretty much ignored.

And speaking of waving your dick around, I think it struck me at around episode 8 or 9. Really, the perfect metaphor to watching this show is to imagine Maeno, the guy we unfortunately see most out of everyone, leaping out of the nearest bush in front of you wearing one of those exhibitionist coats and opening it to reveal nothing underneath while screaming like a crazed, drugged-up monkey. My first reaction to Ping Pong Club was sheer shock at the levels they went to, the most shining example being Maeno and his co-pervert, Izawa, stripping naked to introduce himself to their new manager and then proceeding to shit on the floor. This handled episodes 1-4.

After that, however, the shock factor wore off and I was left with a depressingly bad, depraved attempt at comedy that ended up being shit jokes and ever-creative ways to try to feel up any woman who crossed the club's path AND succeeding at this disturbingly often with no repercussions whatsoever. In the world of Ping Pong Club's heroes, the only thing that really matters is the approval (and WAY too close camaraderieship involving sucking nipples) of your comrades-in-arms, except that they backstab each other non-stop as well, should the opportunity arise. Everyone else is just an obstacle (men) or a plaything to be groped or something worse (women). Being perverted, obnoxious wastes of space is their right, goddamnit, and no one has any right to tell them otherwise. Or have fun without them. It doesn't matter if they themselves have fun, as long as no one else has, either. Then combine this mindset with hypocrisy concerning anyone else's doings and you have something resembling Ping Pong Club.

About 20 episodes of various disgust followed, including multiple rape attempts on knocked out and drugged women, one of which could be argued to have succeeded, something that's pretty much bestiality and as the defining vomiting point over any anime I've seen, two instances of Maeno (yet again) licking and sucking on nipples, in one case those of a 90+ year old woman, accompanied by sounds that I'd rather not talk about.

Yet no one cares until about episode 25. Actually, it seems the thing everyone's most disturbed about is the main perverts cross-dressing. The women they take advantage of continue hanging around them as if nothing happened. Their club buddies (the saner 2½ members of the 6-man club) don't get rid of them. No repercussions happen aside from the occasional beatdown that has no effect whatsoever and while I understand a certain suspension of disbelief is needed especially in comedies, Ping Pong Club rocketed past that line ages ago and kept going while throwing shit at passersby. Some of these stunts should land these guys in jail.

Okay, no more about the cast. The art is spectacularly ugly and in a couple of cases the only way to know if the characters onscreen were the pervs or random people was to look for Izawa's freckles. Also, just about everything aside from the vagina about the human form, both that of beautiful and ugly people, was shown without any restraint. I've seen enough tiny dicks to last me a lifetime after this. The soundtrack is nothing memorable, mostly the same song or two repeated over and over. Special cringe-worthy mention goes to Maeno's screaming, however. It was just as obnoxious as the character.

Any attempts at plot was thrown out after episode 7, never to be seen again, and everything after that was random episodic stories. Status quo was their god with next to no continuity anywhere, save for two people joining their crew in the beginning and Izawa's hair staying cut for about two episodes but then magically growing back.

There's humor for everyone and I'm sure there are people somewhere who genuinely appreciate a series where, I quote myself, breaking chopsticks using your ass and getting splinters stuck on it as a result is a secret move and a dude steals his buddies' money to buy butter for dogs to lick off his naked body. If this ticks your fancy, go ahead, chances are you'll love it.

As for my personal grading of this, however, this shitfest is utterly badly written with no depth to characters, no development into any direction, it shuns attempts at comedy in favor of Lick Tits At Any Cost and its worldview in general is just plain disgusting. Was wondering what to give it for a while, but it's a 1/10 and a silent moment for the decent members of the club since I hate it more than any other series that I've given this rating to. It had one good episode, but the other 25 more than made up for that. It's time to mercifully forget this for good.

InstantReplay's avatar By InstantReplay on Dec 16, 2012

Ping Pong Club is best thought of as a "B Movie". Everything about it is terrible: the chacters, the animation, the plot...etc. But it's so bad, that it is funny. If you like watching "B Movies"/shows that are just so bad it's funny, then you will probably enjoy watching Ping Pong Club. If you don't like bad movies/TV shows, then this show will be more painful than a root canal without anethestics.

FullmetalCowboy24's avatar By FullmetalCowboy24 on Jul 21, 2012

WARNING: The following review is not meant for children to read, Reader Discretion is advised.

Critic's Log - Earthdate: July 21, 2012. Review #14: Ping Pong Club

*Speaking in monotone voice* I have reviewed a couple of classic animes back then, I reviewed the okay animes, and I reviewed one anime that was somewhat of a disappointment, It brings me with a heavy heart that I have been traumatized from the visual rape that is known as "Ping Pong Club", this has got to be the most unbelievable anime I have ever witnessed with my very eyes. I am barely speechless due to the traumatizing effect that this shitfest anime has, I cannot believe this anime exists. *I'm done speaking in a monotone voice*. *Deep Sigh in anger* Alright, let's join the... Ping Pong Club.

Oh my god, I am so not looking forward into reviewing this.

Inaho Jr. High's Boys Ping Pong Club has only 6 members, the club minimum. Takeda is your average nice guy Kinoshita is good looking and is popular with the female students. Unfortunately the rest are branded as losers. Tanabe is too foreign while Tanaka is petite and perverse. Maena and Izawa are truly deviant, and their crazy stupid antics earned them some powerful enemies. In spite of their differences, the team needs to work together to retain their practice room and gain club status.

To be technical this is a Kitty Films production and yes... it's the SAME COMPANY that produced Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. I don't believe it. (T_T)

I got to admit, the animation style does fit the show when it does, but that's it. Everything else pretty much says for itself that The story is shot to hell and almost pointless. The characters can get boring really quick. The soundtrack isn't much and it is obviously forgotten. The humor is unbelievable the jokes are sometimes... FUCKING DUMB!, There were Ass Jokes (WHY THE FUCK DO WE NEED TO SEE ONE OR TWO CHARACTERS SHAKING THEIR ASS THROUGHOUT THIS SHOW! and... WHY ON TWO FUCKING DOUCHEBAG HORNDOGS), Perverted Dream scenes (they are funny in some animes, not sure what to say on this one), Body odor jokes (*Deep Sigh* I can't take this anymore), and of course... Penis jokes (why?) What's worse, they overuse the same FUCKING JOKES although in different situations, but the jokes can get really old really fast. At least it has its random moments. I'm not going to mention voice acting much, but I will... The subbed version is fitting, the English Dub obviously didn't receive well..

Oh ho ho ho... Get this... When it came out on DVD in the US, it says... (He he he) on the fucking box set... that this is the anime equivalent... of South Park.

Okay, they win!

South Park actually has some really funny humor. They do overuse some jokes but they didn't use these jokes to death later on.

I got to admit, for a 90's anime, having this sick toilet humor was pretty damn rare for anime at the time, or maybe there are others animes like this at the time. I really don't know. But one thing's for certain. I could not sit through the stupidity of this anime anymore. This may have been made to be intentionally bad, but I really can't stand this anime that much.

Ping Pong Club was available by Central Park Media, and It is out of print, the manga by Furuya Minoru has never made it overseas...

With that said, I can't believe on what a shitfest this anime was... Its jokes were dumb; the characters are mostly fucking douchebags. There was nothing I liked about Ping Pong Club. This is kind of an obscure anime. You might laugh over this one, you might be disgusted after watching it. This was one bizarre anime that really doesn't have much to do with Ping Pong. I apologize for the following rating, but here goes...

I give Ping Pong Club a 2.2 out of 10, it is BAD! (Intentional or not)

If you want to see an intentionally bad anime, go ahead and see it for yourself but leave me out of it.

Feel free to comment below and if you'll excuse me. I'm going to play some Beer Pong all by myself and I am going to eventually lay my drunken ass on my bed and then sit in a corner and go into a state of depression...

2.2/10 overall
Thrawn's avatar By Thrawn on Aug 9, 2011

Find Your Anime Buddy Presents: Ping Pong Club; A Tale of Horror, Some Ping Pong and Ass

Disclaimer: Shit is a common word used to describe things that come out of a thing's ass that isn't limited to ping pong balls. It's also used to describe just about anything in this wretched show of debauchery and senseless events. With man asses.

Story: I'll be frank. It's like someone took a shit and called it Shit, but the censors wouldn't allow a show called that so they instead called it Ping Pong Club. I had expectations for this, moderate, middle of the road but off to the crappy side; decent crude fun. It was a bit of that at first, but it kept on going. And going. And stopped only to dive in deeper in the pile of shit. If it were shorter, then I would have seen it in a dirty light instead but the length doesn't do it any kind of justice. The jokes you see at the start with asses, perversion, gay jokes and sexual deprevation will still be there in the end.

It's not just the repetitive jokes that I have a problem with, but the complete lack of karmic retribution for the shit that they do (The two stooges, Maeno and Izuma. Probably called Izuma). I'm sure it was intentional that the criminal things they do they get away with comes with marginal backlash but here it's obscene; this takes the cake and craps on it. From the obligatory doctor/medical examination episode to the occasional ping pong game/tourney schtick... dear god the examination... and after that, it's like nothing happens. Which brings up-

-Continuity. It's hit or miss as someone may get lucky with a women or a few harem's worth and not bring it up ever again. How one goes from a serial sexual harassment spree to a complete dumbass who remembers nothing of that time in the next episode is just plain stupid. Other times it's in effect, can't remember when apart from something about taking down the club, but I'm sure it's there. In it's defense, there isn't continuity with a segment about how much of a sexual devient you are, or how daring you are to molest a girl. That right there deserves a two. Can't call it episodic though.

There's also some romance to go along with the occasional ping pong after the big tourney arc is over, but it's unimportant. Nothing about this is.

And true fact: I watched an episode in Spanish and a fellow watcher said I didn't miss much and as pictures speak a thousand words... so painfully right.

Animation: It looks like shit and mentally scars viewers with wrinkly tits and crapping out balls. With a close-up. But it's not limited to a lack of art but also to the movement of things, the actual animation. It's bad overall but so glaringly abysmal at parts that I had to rewind against my will to see if my eyes weren't decieving me. They never did for this, the lousy bastards. But for your "enjoyment", you get boob shots and plenty of undetailed penis and ass shots. Man asses, hairy and smooth. See how you like the animation when a guy has the butt cheek power to break a pair of chopsticks by clenching.

Salty milk. Think about it.

Sound: Propeller. Just propeller. That god-awful song was so painful, mixed with Maeno's voice and while absurd, just harassed and tortured my ears. The Japanese version, but it's not like the dub is any better. So pick your poison, dub or sub, lose or lose. I didn't even know it had a dub until way later.

I'll admit that I never knew it had a second EP. The episodes I watched had the OP/EPs cut out and the OP I've only heard five times, 7 max. Can't remember the EP after the first listen at all.

Characters: What a repulsive bunch. But that's not being fair as the walrus was the best character on the show. And not so much repulsive for some but bland and simply gimmick driven. Pretty much uninteresting with the exception of Maeno, who deserves special mention for being a perverted rapist in training without being effected by karma much. With his partner in crime Izuma, both form a tag-team of gay jokes, some sick play of one being a guy and the other a girl and for Izuma, Ashita no Joe references.

I do have to give props for some of the minor characters, whose attitude and overall kindness was a shining spot of white on the shit stained.... it simply didn't fit. The difference was so glaring that my jaw dropped. It's not just the minors but some of the secondaries. At times it hurts my head thinking about it but this is a twisted world where girls have no taste.

The characters in general are completely shallow but you aren't expecting anything as deep as the belly in depth; this is near the ankles.

Overall: Those who enjoy this kind of sick depravity will get some enjoyment out of it. I don't mind perverted stuff now and then but this went beyond my limits and kept on prolonging itself. I may hate and rant on it, but this is a good anime for some, just not for me.

There wasn't as much Ping Pong as I expected.