Pet Shop of Horrors

Vinniesama's avatar By on Dec 4, 2011

Sometimes hideous animation and character design, incredibly weird, and highly episodic, but for some reason, Pet Shop of Horrors kept me completely captivated throughout its ridiculously short (4 episode) run. It's not one of my favourite series, no, but it did make a firm impression.

Also, it really made me want to read the manga, since the art is rather pretty. I'm just hoping the volumes will be somewhat easy to find now that Tokyopop has bit the dust.

Pet Shop of Horrors is set in a strange town with a sprawling Chinese district. The smooth-tongued eccentric Count D owns a pet shop here, but this is no ordinary pet shop - Count D sells 'love and happiness', usually tied to an 'exotic' pet of some kind, so long as you keep to a rigid three-term contract. If you don't, well, bad things happen...

Naturally, due to all of these mysterious happenstances, a homicide detective by the name of Leon Orcot is assigned to investigate him, but he is always foiled by Count D's impeccable talents for wriggling out of any implications that may arise.

OVA are strange little beings, and are basically the straight-to-DVD movies of Japanese animation, whether they are sold in a bundle, with a series, with a manga volume, etcetera, they are usually low budget but generally of an okay quality, unless it's an extremely long production such as Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Pet Shop of Horrors fits perfectly into the 'low budget but okay' category. The anime art doesn't really replicate the manga art, using dark, muted colours, less-is-more animation, and fairly unappealing character designs, with the exception of Count D and his adorable pet, Q-chan. It's a very 1980s-1990s-style anime, and yet I didn't really care, because I was awed yet frightened into paying attention to these stories about how miracles are often worse than you'd hoped for.

Take episode one and two, for example. In episode one, this poor family loses their daughter, but D tricks into buying a rabbit that, to them, appears to be their daughter. The rules in D's contract state that the parents can only feed this rabbit vegetables and water. So what happens when they give her some sweets...? Night of the lepus! No, seriously.

The second episode focuses on a love rat who was about to get married, but was caught by his jealous lover, who immediately threw herself overboard. Count D sells the poor lothario a giant fish, that to him looks like a mermaid version of his betrothed, and this mermaid is not a happy-go-lucky Disney songstress, using her wiles to get him obsessively in love with her only for them both to meet a rather sticky end.

Maybe my threshold for horror is quite low, but all four episodes were enough to give me a bit of a chill working its way up and down my spine. They're very simple stories of how obtaining the impossible becomes a living hell, and all glued together by their compelling storylines and the otherworldly Count himself, even if he isn't in much of the episodes - often, he'll be seen at the beginning and the end, selling the poor schmucks who come into his shop their hopes and desires, then a fleeting appearance in the middle and narrating how he can't be seen as guilty at the end.

Toshihiko Seki does a wonderful job as the Count, an incredibly androgynous role that was very pleasant on the ears, and Masaya Onosaka voicing Leon and doing a pretty good job. Unfortunately I have not seen it dubbed, but I have heard it's a fairly listenable dub.

Now, PSOH does have its flaws that I have gone into. However, you can't really blame it for its low production values or for its episodic elements - it's a set of 4 OVAs that has to adapt a 10 volume manga series. It can't pack everything in, so it just goes for the episodic approach, which serves it well. It's still just as creepy, reminding me of (yes I know PSOH came before) the episodes of Hell Girl I watched out of order that often gave me the heebie-jeebies.

6/10.

Diogenes's avatar By on Jan 10, 2016

"FEED ME SEYMOUR!"

There are no musical numbers and Skid Road its not, but Pet Shop of Horrors still manages to be an interesting and engaging series. This series is essentially a four-part Horror Anthology series. If you like Japanese folklore, you will love Pet Shop of Horrors. Its far superior to Requiem from the Darkness -- though unfortunately much shorter.

STORY: Each episode is a-stand-alone story exploring the darker side of human desperation and temptation intertwined traditional Japanese folklore (albeit reinvisioned for a modern audience). It is a little bit of a shame that they only made four-episodes because they had a good formula for the show and I felt like the series still had a lot of life in it.

ANIMATION: The animation style is very steeped in the 90s and not much to my liking, but I would be remiss if I said there was nothing about it I liked. The monster and creature designs in the series are quite good.

SOUND: Nothing remarkable or terrible here. 5/10. The voice acting is what you'd expect from 90's horror anime. Silky and slick.

CHARACTERS: The series revolves around an enigmatic person at a pet shop that offers dark solutions to people's problems. Most of the stories revolve around his clintel, so it would be difficult to go into the characters without spoiling the experience for you. I will say that the focus of the stories do hinge on the personalities and/or flaws of the protagonist and each episode has a different protagonist. Some you may like, others you might not.

7.5/10 story
MaarMarwanGames's avatar By on Dec 21, 2015

The reason why I gave this a 6 is because there was in every episode another story. But the Main plot was the same, somebody gets a pet, breaks the rules and dies. They just made the main plot return good every episode.

Sound:

The sound was good, in the creepy moments they gave creepy sounds, in the sad moments they gave sad sounds.

I know how to describd Count D, but in the meanwhile, I just don't know. That's the weird thing, but I think if you have that feeling he is builded good. The Main characters from each episode were builded correctly too, the reason why they came to Count D, who they are and they broke the rules, are enough to describe the characters good.

Overall: It's a good anime, you are scared while there isn't that much blood or scary moments in the anime. I would recommend this to people who like creepy feelings while there is nothing to have the creepy feelings for.

espie666's avatar By on Aug 6, 2014

For any fans of Tales from the Crypt, this is most definitely the anime for you. Each episode follows a different character who has visited the pet shop. This 4 episode OVA is filled with creepy and spooky tales, and at the end of the episode, you may just learn a lesson or moral from each story.

Pet Shop of Horrors is about a strange gothic young man named Count D who manages a pet shop. However, this is no average pet shop. At this pet shop you can find a wide variety of 'rare' and 'exotic' animals. All you need to do is sign a contract with this man, and it's yours. However, you may find these rules hard to abide with, and end up with a disaster in which even death may occur.

I'm a big fan of episodic series, so this anime was definitely a hit for me. Each stroy ws creepy and interesting, and the animal the characters ordered corresponded with the owners inner demons and troubles.What really got me interested was that at the end of each episode, a very interesting moral was taught. That was probably my favorite aspect of the show, besides the spooky ominous feel to it.

I also found the concept of this series very unique. The idea of a creepy 'animal' from a pet shop to move a long an entire story really intrigued me. I love animals, and like to learn about mystical creatures, so when I saw the title, I was automatically drawn in. This series definitely did not dissapoint. Even with my high expectations, Pet Shop of Horrors exceeded them with its eerie tales of the characters dark pasts and their new pet which may in the end teach them a lesson.

Pet Shop of Horrors was released in 1999, so the animation is quite dated. I went into the story with low expectations of the art, but I was actually suprised. Yes, the animation was definitely not the best, but it was fitting, and was actually very well done for its time. It was also very unique in a way as well. There was no set style or pattern I could find. For example Count D and the detective Leon, have a totally different style. With the Count, his features were very pointed while Leon's were much more realistic and better shaded. This goes for not only these two, but for many other characters as well.

The character designs were pretty interesting as well, especially the Count. His tall, yet feminine figure added to his mysterious personality, along with his painted long nails, dark lips always in a small smile, and his hetereochromic eyes narrowed at you. The creature designs were interestng and haunting as well. This anime would have been a flop without the creepy and spooky animation.

There's not to much music in this anime, but nothing felt out of place or unfitting. When there was music, it only added to the dark atmosphere. No music needed to be added or deleted, and it felt as if everything was in order.

As for voice acting, it was very well done. I personally watched the dub, and each voice matched the character perfectly. I especially liked the Count's voice actor, as he sounded very calm and collected even while delivering disturbing lines, which built up the Count's character even more, and added to his eerie aura. Considering the importance and amount of dialogue the Count has, it was very important to have an excellent voice actor, which is another thing Pet Shop of Horrors did very well

Since Pet Shop of Horrors is episodic, there is a large variety of characters, but does not feel overcrowded since each set is different in each episode. The only characters which remained throughout was Count D, the tall dark mysterious pet shop owner, and Leon Orcot, the hot headed detective suspects the Count for the recent string of murders, and is determined to expose Count D for his crimes.Leon acts as an extra viewpoint, and as a piece to help dig up the other characters backgrounds.

As for the customers and main characters of an episode, they all seem to have a dark past or secret which indirectly causes them to end up at the Count's shop to fufill their desires through their new pet. As each episode progresses we learn more and more about each character, and finally discover who they really are. At the end of each episode, these characters' backstories and mistakes serve as a lesson or moral to the story.

Overall

Overall, Pet Shop of Horrors gets a solid 9 out of 10. This short series was a psychological horror masterpiece, and deserves to be appraised for its thought provoking spooky stories. This show is definitely one of my favorites and is a must watch for any psychological or horror fan.

SadisticTendencies's avatar By on Dec 22, 2012

Story: 6/10

People tend to have a flexible approach towards certain conditions whenever they enter a contract but if they happen to be customers of Count D, owner of a mysterious pet shop, an attitude as such can prove to be fatal. The first 3 episodes of this peculiar OVA are dedicated more or less entirely to the depictions of what might happen once you purchase an animal from the protagonist only to ignore the rules he provides.

Sounds repetitive? It certainly is but then again it could have been much worse and thanks to a decent execution and plenty of new material in each tale, the show manages to stir away from boredom and instead ventures into increasingly bizarre realms. We get to witness parents consumed by love for their dead daughter buy a rabbit that attains her form as the result of either delusion or magic; as well as several men blinded by their love for creatures they’ve purchased. The story as a whole spends quite a lot of time following the not-very-convincing decisions of an investigating detective who constantly interacts with the shopkeeper. These segments were generally the weakest points of the story that also had a tendency to rely more on atmospheric value than intriguing writing. As a whole it ended up being reasonably successful even if there’s lots of wasted potential involved.

Animation: 6/10

In terms of visual quality, Pet Shop of Horrors is a double-edged sword with artwork on the sharp side and actual animation on the dull one. Viewers are served beautiful and disturbing still images in abundance but are still likely to find everything else more or less mediocre in nature. Character designs range from okay to eccentrically interesting; I personally found the shop keeper and the creatures he sold to look either hauntingly pretty, disturbing or sometimes even both.

Another thing that deserves mentioning is the occasional outburst of grotesque content that comes along with buckets of blood and disturbing artwork. These segments were quite suitable for a title within the horror genre and achieved just the right amount of repulsiveness to be appropriate rather than excessive.

Sound: 7/10

Voice acting was a pretty standardized fare with the shopkeeper sounding appropriately bishounen as well as infinitely mysterious. Compare him to similar characters from similar titles such as the medicine seller in Mononoke to understand my point.

Musically speaking the show had a minimalistic but nonetheless bold soundtrack that managed to support the overall eerie atmosphere with brilliance. Whenever it chose to use actual melodies they were often simplistic and repetitive but the haunting female voices frequently heard in the background provided the story with an even higher eccentric flare.

Characters: 6.5/10

At the core of each moral tale dealing with love, passion and betrayal we find the mesmerizing shopkeeper. Driven by an unknown agenda his products rarely fail to spread despair within the customers as soon as they break one of the aforementioned conditions. The fact that we never get to know anything about the protagonist other than subtle implications is a mixed bag of both pros and cons.

Amongst the rest of the cast we find a bland and obnoxious detective as well as several interesting characters that don’t appear in more than one episode. As far as personality goes they were mainly simplistically constructed but I felt like the struggles they went through compensated for lack of development.

Overall: 6.5/10

Anime fans interested in bizarre tales with creatures from Asian folklore have several other titles they should prioritize before tackling this OVA. As a whole the show isn’t that far from being mediocre but excels in establishing a creepy and unique atmosphere which is why I still highly recommend it to anyone with 80 minutes to spare. Despite being based around tropes you’ve seen countless times before, the overall product ended up being an original journey that, except for a somewhat weak last episode and lack of real conclusion, drew me right in and entertained me enough to probably want to re-watch it at some point in the future.

6.5/10 characters