Papa to Kiss in the Dark

sothis's avatar By sothis on Sep 1, 2006

Papa to Kiss in the Dark has such a scintillating story that I can sum it up in three sentences: Mira has sex with his dad. Mira also has sex with or fantasizes about pretty much every male out there, and all of them conveniently end up also being gay. Mira cries and cries.

Yes folks, that’s literally all there is to it.

I’d say I’ve seen my fair share of shounen-ai (boy/boy romance) titles. I make it a point to find things labeled "yaoi" (most of which actually aren’t), and to add them. That being said, there are two main types of shounen-ai: those that try as much as possible to shove it in your face that YES ZOMG TWO GUYS ARE HAVING SEX LOLL!!1!, and those that make it secondary to the actual plot. Papa to Kiss in the Dark definitely is in the excessive category, and then some. In addition, the OVA definitely is on the hentai side of the fence, as opposed to the subtle hint side of the fence as far as the shounen-ai/yaoi thing goes. So, though Papa to Kiss in the Dark technically is considered shounen-ai and NOT yaoi, it’s pretty damn explicit.

And speaking of explicit, Mira got more blowjobs in 2 episodes than a group of 90 otaku get in a year. It baffles me why basically every male in sight wanted nothing more than a piece of FIFTEEN year old cock. And also, like Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi, I failed to understand why everyone was even attracted to such a whiny little bitch. Mira cried more than a woman with post partum depression, all while wearing his pink apron and hot pants (I’m not kidding).

Sorry guys, that’s all there is to the story. Mira has sex, cries, and then does it all over again. There’s a mild attempt at a plot when Mira’s past comes into play, but overall it’s a big fat snoozer. To wrap up the sheer craptastic and disturbing hentai-style story of Papa to Kiss in the Dark, I leave you with the following line that actually came from the OVA, while Mira is (surprise!) having sex with someone: "But my body doesn’t tremble like it does with Kyousuke, could it be because we aren’t related?"

Wow. Just... wow.

Though fairly generic, Papa to Kiss in the Dark’s animation was well done. Like in most shounen-ai titles, the characters all look incredibly bishounen (pretty boy) and remarkably the same. It’s almost like the creators were drunk and played a game of Mad Libs that day. Your character will have _____ and be Mira’s _____. "Ooo, I’ll choose "orange hair" and "childhood friend!" "I’ll go with "yellow hair" and "class mate"!".

Backgrounds were definitely gorgeous. One scene that stood out was a shot of a tree with cherry blossom petals floating through the air. The occasional chibi graced the screen, and there was a good level of detail.

Fairly standard fare, quite forgettable in every way. Voice acting was decent and definitely fit the bishounen yet macho characters, and Mira’s was definitely in whiny bitch mode, which fit him perfectly.

I am convinced that the only reason the characters had any sort of background was to make it so Mira didn’t look like a complete slut who would let just anyone with a penis blow him. Besides having titles like "childhood friend", the characters were literally as flat as a piece of paper, having no notable personality traits or mannerisms. Mira himself, as mentioned previously, is a pink apron-wearing whiner. He reminded me a lot of the main character of the Gravitation OVA (the name escapes me right now); just as angst-filled and annoying. Kousuke was far too obsessed with planting his face in Mira’s crotch whenever possible. I’ll give one point for the mild character development of Mira and -9 points for everyone else.

BiZ's avatar By BiZ on Nov 27, 2009

Weird and disturbing.  Incest while trying to be smart about it.  The animation is a little sloppy, the art style isn't anything memorable.  No real plot.  If there was any, I don't remember it.  Pretty much your basic yaoi.  If you like boy's love, you'll probably watch this and enjoy it somewhat.  It really is all about the sex.

DuskFey's avatar By DuskFey on Jul 14, 2010

Anime in 200 Words: Papa to Kiss in the Dark

Premise: A whiny teen boy is in love with his father and can’t get enough of their bonding time, even though he complains every time that daddy goes for his zipper. Meanwhile, all of his friends want into his pants as well, but it’s just not the same.

Plausibility: Ecchi is usually implausible, but I just don’t think that a whiny, sniveling little wuss would be so popular period, much less conveniently surrounded by gay men who want him. It’s hard to tolerate this guy; why would you want to sleep with him?!?

Characters: Everyone is underdeveloped and only given basic traits. It seems likely that the male characters who aren’t whiny boy or insatiable dad are only in the anime to show how irresistible whiny boy is or that he definitely has other options besides dad. I can’t remember anyone’s name, and that’s a bad sign.

Overall: There’s not much here besides fighting between rivals for whiny boy’s love, disturbing thoughts about incest, and whiny boy being emo. Why did I watch it? I was morbidly curious, and any number of cats can tell you what makes that dangerous.

1.5/10 overall
BelleThePunk's avatar By BelleThePunk on Feb 22, 2011

Papa to kiss in the dark isn't all bad! Interesting situation to put a 14/15 year old in, if not a disturbingly overly perverted one. It isn't the best anime, i'll say that, but i did like it.

Mira reminds slightly of Shuichi from Gravitation. Due to character's lake of 'cuteness' and it's lake of many other things, Mira simply comes off as annoyingly irratating, with a hint of patheticness. Unlike Shuichi, who all though annoying with his constant crying, is still loveable.

Other characters need more identitiy, since other then Mira they all looked the same, just different eye colour and hair. The creators maybe should have give them slightly different shaped faces.

Nothing about the story is realistic, with almost every male character being gay, and the strange fact that a 14 year old boy would 'adopt' his sister's child (could happen, but i don't think any of the 14 year old boys i know would do it).

Sound effects sucked, and, in my opinion, Mira's voice didn't suit him very well but did hit the spot on the whiney bits!

You should watch this, but don't get to excited. If you want some Shounen-ai/Yaoi that is less perverted and has a better main character, try Gravitation.

gekoladie's avatar By gekoladie on Apr 12, 2011

I found this anime innately creepy. Either I'm misunderstanding a pretty major concept, or this anime is one of the most perverted ones I've ever seen, because it appears to feature shota-con. The relationships were all creepy, namely the one between Mira and Kyousuke because of their significant age gap, as well as the implication they have been having sex for a long time. I didn't really let myself like this anime because of the implicit paedophilia, but it was okay.