Outlaw Star

0utl4w's avatar By 0utl4w on Jan 3, 2011

One of the better amines that i have seen if you like sci-fi action with a cowboy twist this maybe one for you one of the other amines i have seen that's like this is Cowboy Bebop

its a action packed amine that keeps you wanting more the big mystery that revolves around the main plot is about Melfina a bioandriod who has no memory of who she is where shes from or why she was made in which Gene Starwind and Jim Hawkens work together to help Melfina find out who she is and with the help of their finds they pilot the Outlaw Star in hopes of finding out the great mystery of the Galactic Leyline which is where the secret of Melfina lies as well

Rickoon's avatar By Rickoon on Oct 10, 2009

No. 4 Shell

Though Outlaw Star was overshadowed by great animes of its time--Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, etc.-- there's still a lot to the series that potentially makes a worthwhile watch. Though a little disjointed and episodic the main plot line remains interesting. The story feels a little too familiar at times but always keeps the pot mixed enough to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom. Most of the characters follow an anime archetype of some sort but manage to flesh out into more than just an empty shell. Each character has an interesting enough story but the aspect that strengthens them the most are the interactions that occur between them.

The animation stands out because even after so many years it still looks good. Few animations are overly recycled and the style is original and vibrant. The quality fluctuates slightly between episodes but overall retains its lasting appeal. The sound portion of this anime gets the highest score because of the fitting and often memorable soundtrack that goes along with great voice-overs. Whenever I watch an anime I prefer to watch it in english and with Outlaw Star that was a good choice; each voice-actor does a great job and bringing his or her character to life.

Outlaw Star may not work for everybody because of the familarity of some aspects and strange appearances of fan-service, but if you're a sci-fi fan looking for a good watch you should give the series a shot.

Side Note: I skip the hot springs episode.

8.5/10 sound
jypsyjulia's avatar By jypsyjulia on Mar 16, 2011

The anime Outlaw Star screams the perfection of the '90's.  The plot in this anime is so substantial and so strong that it's worth sticking through the 15 episodes of worthless filler.  The fillers are the reason for the 8 rating in Story.  This is a 26 episode anime that could have easily been a 12 episode one.  In fact, by cutting out 14 episodes, I believe this anime could have become so much stronger and powerful in it's message.

One of my favorite parts of this anime is the fact that it doesn't hesitate to kill of a character that could have become the most loved character in the series.  It doesn't have to hold onto the characters to carry out the plot, because the plot can stand for itself.  In an era of fanservice anime that relies on giant breasts to bring about it's appeal, the fact that Outlaw Star didn't need this should speak volumes in and of itself.

The music is another thing about this anime that I really enjoyed.  The opening credit song is one of my favorites of anime to date.  And the filler music during emotional scenes always seemed to emphasize said scene instead of taking away from it.  Music is a powerful weapon and can often take away from an anime, but the music in Outlaw Star perfectly complemented the scene without either taking away from each other.

The animation is very heavily '90's anime, with everything from the men's broad shoulders and thin waists to the strange lines sketched across characters faces.  (To this day I have still not figured out why the lines are their - freckles, constant blushing?)  However, the animation on the Galactic Leyline and the animation in the ship Outlaw Star itself seemed quite advanced for it's time.  The attention to detail was a quality I could appreciate, however the animation as a whole is nothing to brag about.

Overall, this anime has become one of my top anime of all time.  It would be higher on the list if only the filler episodes did not exist.  It can almost seem like a shore, getting through the 10 - 15 episodes of pure filler, however it does serve for some vital character development and, if you can stomach all of it, makes the last 5 episodes so much more worth it.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Aug 14, 2012

TEASER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0N3L-pcGdc

- Animated by studio XEBEC, which means it’s going to have bad production values and unexploited potencial.
- Directed by [/u] Hongu Mitsuru, [/u] who never managed to produce an above average show.
- Based on the manga by Itou Takehiko. Other works of his that were adapted include the forgettable Lord of Lords Ryu Knight and Angel Links. But guess what; he also wrote the most amazing Zegapain, so he is not a complete mediocrity of a creator.

STORY

Outlaw Star begins as the most awesome sci-fi action adventure ever conceived before it quickly turns to messy mediocrity of stereotypes and random plots. Which is a shame.

The series begins with a setting were the age of exploration repeats in the space of the future, and it accompanied with the usual traits, such as space ships, space pirates, space adventures and … alien catgirls??? Taoist priests??? Geisha swordswomen??? … Ok, this is all a garbled pile of ideas from left and right; no real consistency or uniformity. This is what in effect destroys the setting because it is completely random, without a steady theme, a clear form, or even some sort of balance. One episode can be space races, another can be samurai showdowns, and another a fan service episode in an open bath. I don’t like that. I like my settings to have some sort of constant genres and not random ideas.

So in this… um… setting, our lead hero is your average energetic and edgy teenager with fire in his eyes, ready to take on the entire galaxy and prove his worth. He is not like the stereotype of so many teen adventures, because he is actually a ladies man, scoring some every time he feels like it. He also has a kid partner, a boy genius with computers who analyzes and tells him the weaknesses of his opponents. He also pilots a spaceship with robot arms, which has a naked girl as its power source. Wow, all that sound so exciting! And indeed they are… for four episodes.

As soon as the fifth episode begins, the amazing premise crumbles and it’s replaced by random anime clichés and episodic adventures. Towards the end there is a sort of big finale for the salvation of the universe or something but by now the script is written by a monkey, so it doesn’t mean anything at all. Man, this was one of the worst disappointments I ever experienced in anime.

CHARACTERS

This crumbling of the plot works as a chain reaction that ruins the cast as well. In order to make myself clear, I will describe how each character begins and how he/she becomes after a few episodes.

Gene: The lead hero. Starts as a cool young man, scoring with each chick he feels like it and laughs at the face of danger. Ends up as an idiot running after girls, being ridiculed all the time, going emo with his father who sacrificed to save him.

Jim: The lead’s partner, a boy genius. He starts as the tactician, logistics supervisor and planner of the team. Ends up being a mascot for girls to go wild over him as he blushes and freezes.

Melfina: The mysterious bioroid. Starts as a artificial human being with an erased past, as well as the spaceship’s power source. Ends up as a platonic relationship for Gene, a typical damsel in distress and fan service as she is always naked while used as a battery.

Suzuka: Powerful swordswoman. Starts as a cold assassin. Ends as fan service for those who like geishas.

Aisha: Powerful alien. Starts as a shape shifting exiled princess. Ends up as fan service for those who like catgirls.

The villains: Numerous Chinese/Japanese themed cyborgs and taoists who aim to use Melfina’s secret powers to rule the galaxy. They start as threatening and imposing. They end up being cannon fodder with zero depth and characterization.

ART / SOUND

The chain reaction of the crumbling story affects the production values as well. Although the initial episodes have very good production values for their time, along the way you clearly see quality dropping more and more until in the final episodes becomes very flawed, with lazy drawings, jerky motions, and random battle choreography. The episodic nature of the show also made the world to look completely chaotic and random, taking you out of the mood entirely. The only thing I liked somewhat was the opening theme.

VALUE / ENJOYMENT

If the quality of the show had remained as good as in the first four episodes, this would have been one of the best anime of al times. But since it didn’t and since there is Cowboy Bebop to do right anything this show did wrong, I say there is very little replay value or enjoyment in this show. There are many who like it but I guess that is only for nostalgic reasons and not because it is an actually good series.

On the other hand, if you are looking for braindead entertainment, this will feel a lot better to you than it did for me. After all it is full of nude, violence, guns, nude, swords, spaceships with arms, nude, extreme mission objectives, and… nude.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 6/10
General Artwork 1/2 (generic)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (basic but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 1/2 (basic)

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 3/4 (not great but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 0/2 (almost entirely episodic)
Complexity 1/2 (not much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 4/10
Presence 1/2 (cool at first but they degrade later)
Personality 1/2 (typical)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 0/2 (bad)
Catharsis 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)

VALUE SECTION: 4/10
Historical Value 1/3 (still remembered by some as an interesting retro title)
Rewatchability 1/3 (low because of too little plot)
Memorability 2/4 (good ideas but badly handled)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10
Art 0/1 (looks lazy)
Sound 1/2 (I liked the songs)
Story 1/3 (good ideas but badly handled)
Characters 1/4 (cool at first but they degrade later)

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall
Garyuu's avatar By Garyuu on Jul 28, 2010

I was really excited going into this show. I was told that it is a lot like Cowboy Bebop, and I loved Cowboy Bebop. After watching it, I can say that it is a lot like it. Just imagine Cowboy Bebop more light hearted. Some might call OS a rip off of Bebop, but remember that Outlaw Star did air before Cowboy Bebop (though it only started three months before).

The story was really fun, and enjoyable. The show was pretty episodic, but each episode tied in to the main story in some way. Some episodes were directly related to the previous episode. This made it really fun to watch. When I started watching the show, I watched the first ten episodes in one night. It was hard to stop. I basically stopped when I realized, that it was 4 AM, and I probably should sleep. The overal plot was pretty good,  but I found that I was more interested in the sub plots in each episode. Some people may wonder if they could skip certain episodes, and the answer is "kind of." Even the most random episode has something that connects to the big story.

One of my favorite things about the show was the characters. They all had strong, and very different personalities. They all had their roll. They were all fun, and they worked well with each other. The main problem I had was character development. Some characters had a lot of backstory revealed, while others had very little. I just wished that they could have dedicated a little time into letting us know more about some of the characters.

The animation was good, but then it was bad. Each episode looked a little different. Maybe they drew hats to see who drew the characters in each episode. One episode, the characters were drawn great, next time the characters looked kind of bad. Even the ships varied. One episode the ship, the Outlaw Star, will look kind of plain, and simple looking. Next episode will have the ship with all these shadows, and nice lighting. Even so, when it was "bad" it was still appealing.

I had the choice of watching the dub or sub, so I decided to give the English dub a chance. It was surprisingly good. I was really surprised. The acting wasn't amazing, but it was casted well. The voices fit the characters, and they were likable. A few characters were plain bad though. Melfina's voice was the main problem. It was very unatural. It just sounded like the actress was doing a voice. It was too too high. Sometimes though her voices sounded too old for the character. I was still able to overlook that. Cowboy Bebop fans who watched the dub might be glad to hear Jet's and Faye's voices in the cast.

I liked the show so much that it got into my top ten list. So if you haven't seen it yet, check it out. Fans of Bebop's style, might enjoy it.

9.5/10 characters