Outlaw Star

Garyuu's avatar By on Jul 28, 2010

I was really excited going into this show. I was told that it is a lot like Cowboy Bebop, and I loved Cowboy Bebop. After watching it, I can say that it is a lot like it. Just imagine Cowboy Bebop more light hearted. Some might call OS a rip off of Bebop, but remember that Outlaw Star did air before Cowboy Bebop (though it only started three months before).

The story was really fun, and enjoyable. The show was pretty episodic, but each episode tied in to the main story in some way. Some episodes were directly related to the previous episode. This made it really fun to watch. When I started watching the show, I watched the first ten episodes in one night. It was hard to stop. I basically stopped when I realized, that it was 4 AM, and I probably should sleep. The overal plot was pretty good,  but I found that I was more interested in the sub plots in each episode. Some people may wonder if they could skip certain episodes, and the answer is "kind of." Even the most random episode has something that connects to the big story.

One of my favorite things about the show was the characters. They all had strong, and very different personalities. They all had their roll. They were all fun, and they worked well with each other. The main problem I had was character development. Some characters had a lot of backstory revealed, while others had very little. I just wished that they could have dedicated a little time into letting us know more about some of the characters.

The animation was good, but then it was bad. Each episode looked a little different. Maybe they drew hats to see who drew the characters in each episode. One episode, the characters were drawn great, next time the characters looked kind of bad. Even the ships varied. One episode the ship, the Outlaw Star, will look kind of plain, and simple looking. Next episode will have the ship with all these shadows, and nice lighting. Even so, when it was "bad" it was still appealing.

I had the choice of watching the dub or sub, so I decided to give the English dub a chance. It was surprisingly good. I was really surprised. The acting wasn't amazing, but it was casted well. The voices fit the characters, and they were likable. A few characters were plain bad though. Melfina's voice was the main problem. It was very unatural. It just sounded like the actress was doing a voice. It was too too high. Sometimes though her voices sounded too old for the character. I was still able to overlook that. Cowboy Bebop fans who watched the dub might be glad to hear Jet's and Faye's voices in the cast.

I liked the show so much that it got into my top ten list. So if you haven't seen it yet, check it out. Fans of Bebop's style, might enjoy it.

9.5/10 characters
Filystyn's avatar By on Aug 24, 2014

Only one thing and i would rated even higher. if you want to show naked man dont cut their dick. Else dont show.

I realy enjojed watching this.

PhdInCartoons's avatar By on Feb 28, 2013

Not groundbreaking, but definitely entertaining. The premise is quite similar to some others, Cowboy Bebop for example, but it is a good show in it's own right. It has you asking questions throughout and, although some of them are easy to answer, there is some element of mystery that keeps you watching.

Old but O.K. Very changeable. Some parts the animation is as good as anything of this age gets but the inconsistency gets annoying.

The music was good to great in places. The intro is very good and gets you ready to be entertained, which you will be. The voices ranged from O.K. to poor

Some good likeable characters, some very much not. They are all unique in their own right. At no point will you say 'he's exactly like ... from ...' which I enjoy. The characters are just let down by some who do not have any real substance.

Overall

Worth a watch. I would recommend this, even though it hasn't scored highly. It has been let down by a bad performances by some dub actors and inconsistencies in animation. Considering most anime have these faults Ithink you should definitely watch this.

jypsyjulia's avatar By on Mar 16, 2011

The anime Outlaw Star screams the perfection of the '90's.  The plot in this anime is so substantial and so strong that it's worth sticking through the 15 episodes of worthless filler.  The fillers are the reason for the 8 rating in Story.  This is a 26 episode anime that could have easily been a 12 episode one.  In fact, by cutting out 14 episodes, I believe this anime could have become so much stronger and powerful in it's message.

One of my favorite parts of this anime is the fact that it doesn't hesitate to kill of a character that could have become the most loved character in the series.  It doesn't have to hold onto the characters to carry out the plot, because the plot can stand for itself.  In an era of fanservice anime that relies on giant breasts to bring about it's appeal, the fact that Outlaw Star didn't need this should speak volumes in and of itself.

The music is another thing about this anime that I really enjoyed.  The opening credit song is one of my favorites of anime to date.  And the filler music during emotional scenes always seemed to emphasize said scene instead of taking away from it.  Music is a powerful weapon and can often take away from an anime, but the music in Outlaw Star perfectly complemented the scene without either taking away from each other.

The animation is very heavily '90's anime, with everything from the men's broad shoulders and thin waists to the strange lines sketched across characters faces.  (To this day I have still not figured out why the lines are their - freckles, constant blushing?)  However, the animation on the Galactic Leyline and the animation in the ship Outlaw Star itself seemed quite advanced for it's time.  The attention to detail was a quality I could appreciate, however the animation as a whole is nothing to brag about.

Overall, this anime has become one of my top anime of all time.  It would be higher on the list if only the filler episodes did not exist.  It can almost seem like a shore, getting through the 10 - 15 episodes of pure filler, however it does serve for some vital character development and, if you can stomach all of it, makes the last 5 episodes so much more worth it.

Rickoon's avatar By on Oct 10, 2009

No. 4 Shell

Though Outlaw Star was overshadowed by great animes of its time--Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, etc.-- there's still a lot to the series that potentially makes a worthwhile watch. Though a little disjointed and episodic the main plot line remains interesting. The story feels a little too familiar at times but always keeps the pot mixed enough to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom. Most of the characters follow an anime archetype of some sort but manage to flesh out into more than just an empty shell. Each character has an interesting enough story but the aspect that strengthens them the most are the interactions that occur between them.

The animation stands out because even after so many years it still looks good. Few animations are overly recycled and the style is original and vibrant. The quality fluctuates slightly between episodes but overall retains its lasting appeal. The sound portion of this anime gets the highest score because of the fitting and often memorable soundtrack that goes along with great voice-overs. Whenever I watch an anime I prefer to watch it in english and with Outlaw Star that was a good choice; each voice-actor does a great job and bringing his or her character to life.

Outlaw Star may not work for everybody because of the familarity of some aspects and strange appearances of fan-service, but if you're a sci-fi fan looking for a good watch you should give the series a shot.

Side Note: I skip the hot springs episode.

8.5/10 sound