Orphen

Alt titles: Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

Hajime's avatar By Hajime on Sep 24, 2010

Orphen Orphen Orphen, what can be said about Orphen, well he is the worlds greatest magician, was exiled from the tower of fang for witnessing his love commit suicide, his teacher and mentor was blamed, however he was Ozzalee's (ophens love) boyfriend. With Dragons magic, bogus apprenices, little blonde princesses and Dorton...dont ask...this is a fun series, both sad and serious at time. It is a stock in anime collections, if for nothing else, watch and see for other animes giving reference to this series. you may be shocked at actual events, and whether I have lied in this review. feel free to comment if you watch it after reading this. (please not with Spelling corrections)

angelsreviews's avatar By angelsreviews on Aug 6, 2013

I love this show. It has a really nice feel to it and pulls at your emotions well. The light hearted emotions they have in it only help keep the show from becoming to dark. Though the artwork is rather vintage and has small hiccups sometimes, it is still a very good series of anime.

I love how Orphen acts even though he can be pretty much a jerk. He doesn’t take a lot of things seriously except what he actually deams worth his time. He’s shrud and stand-offish though he really does care about the other characters. Magik is pretty much like a cluts though he is a ladies man even when he doesn’t try. He’s gentle and sweet, always caring about others. Cleo is well… mostly a brat, though she does grow the most in the show. She first starts out rather like a spoiled brat and then slowly warms up to Orphen. I do like her pushy attitude and her go get ‘um personality but sometimes I think she is way too hard of Orphen.

The storyline is a bit odd though and feels a bit like they have a lot of filler. For a lot of the time, it seemed like only side quests even though we already knew the story line and what it would lead up to. I like when it leads up to giving us the bigger picture instead of telling us all at once.

The animation is rather vintage, just a bit grainy though the colors are soft and perfectly shows the characters. It’s almost like your looking threw a very light fog and makes the artwork even more beautiful. I do have a problem with the name screen as it is in poor 3D animation. They could of easily drawn the image rather then make it look better then that. Sometimes there are times where the animation seems to hold for a second before switching over to the next scene.

The first thing that stands out is the opening music. It’s rather up beat and fun, yet gives a rather mysterious feeling to the show. The voices are actually really well done, the English are a lot better in my mind then the Japanese, though the script sounds like it is a bit forced. It was very hard to feel for the characters when you had to read it. Sadly, the script is hard to understand even in the English though because it gives little hints until the very end.