One Piece Movie 10: Strong World

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Aug 6, 2011

Story: Usually movies based on an anime series tend to subpar and mediocre. It's like a long filler episode. However, that's not the case here and I was suprised. The movie was like a short One Piece arc that had all the elements that One Piece usually has. If you're a One Piece fan, then you'll be happily surprised. If you're not a One Piece fan, go watch and/or read it, then watch this and be happily surprised.

Animation: It's similar to the series animation expect the quality up a little  higher. I already adore One Piece's animation so this is a great feast for your eyes. Also, I love the character designs. Robin should be in glasses and a ponytail more often and Zoro should wear a suit more as well.

Sound: The soundtrack is a little lacking for the series. However, the opening and ending songs are fun and cute. The seiyuus are same from the series which is great.

Characters: Usually in movies, the characters become either stupider, weaker or both. However, they are their usual selves. Also, Shiki is an interesting villian a well.

Overall: If you are a One Piece fan, you'll throughly enjoy this movie. It's everything you love about One Piece.

9.5/10 animation
m0m0's avatar By m0m0 on Feb 6, 2011

Strong World is the latest movie in the One Piece anime. This movie focuses around the only inmate to escape from the Impel Down prison before Luffy breaks in and out. The pirate called Golden Lion kidnapes Nami and uses her to guide his ship to different places. Luffy and the gang set off to rescure Nami and in doing so discover Lions evil plot and destroy it and Lion to get Nami back. This movie is the first to be written by the original writer of One Piece, Oda. This movie has it all, comedy, crazyness, fighting, good story. My best One Piece movie so far!!!!

TheDudeMcDude's avatar By TheDudeMcDude on Dec 16, 2012

One Piece Storng World is the 10th Movie in the One Piece franchise, about an old Pirate from Gol D. Roger's last Pirate Era, who plans to destroy all of East Blue and it's up to Luffy and the others to stop him.

I don't see why everyone loves this Movie, it's nowhere near as good as the other One Piece Movies, I'd even rather watch the remake of the Drum Kingdom Arc. The story is essentially a rehash of the Skypeia Arc from the Anime. There's an Island in the sky, inhabited by strange animals, people with wings, an evil overlord who rules the Island and punishes anyone who dares go against him and a little girl who the Strawhats help, Oh yeah and Nami is kidnapped by the villain and forced to cooperate with him. Sound familiar? and with Oda writing the Movie, it feels all the more familiar. 4/10

Animation:

Nothing much to say here. It's quick, beautiful, fluid, affective and incredibly designed. 10/10

Sound:

Not very memorable, but it's well composed and gets the job done. 8/10

The only character that goes through any sort of development is Nami, that's it. Luffy is just the guy that beats up the bad-guys and the others are just there to advance the story and give quick one-liners. The characters do remain charming and funny throughout the Movie though. 4/10

Overall:

I won't lie to you, I would watch it again, but the rehashing story and rather unfulfilling feel this Movie leaves me with lowers this Movies rewatchability. For fans only. 6.5/10

DarkShadowBe's avatar By DarkShadowBe on Jun 14, 2012

ONLY A COUPLE OF WORDS AWESOME,AWESOME,AWESOME,AWESOME,

AWESOME,AWESOME,AWESOME,,AWESOME,AWESOME,AWESOME...

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on May 12, 2012

Notice: In the slight chance you noticed I made a line of reviews for movies 1 to 7, let me clarify that I will not do the same for the eighth and the ninth. I skip them entirely because there is nothing to say about them other than being summaries of the main series with slight alterations, better production values, and a shameless crave to milk nostalgia instead of trying to make new stories of the likes of Dead End and Baron Omatsuri. Shame on you Toei! So moving along to the next one …

This is the tenth One Piece movie, theoretically taking place around the Impel Down arc. Just like the seventh, it is not focusing on any character specifically but since Brook is now part of the crew we can theoretically say it is dedicated to him. Something they didn’t do with Franky in the seventh since he was absent there. Damn you Toei!

Just like all movies, it is a filler mission with a good budget and a simplistic plot. In this case though they went to a lot of trouble to somehow blend it smoothly into the main series. Several filler episodes and scenes were shoehorned into it that were supposed to foreshadow the events of the movie. Did it work out? Nah, it was still sloppy if you ask me. Here they were in the middle of that prison and out of nowhere WHAM a flashback arc to something that happened a few months ago. And even if we are supposed to take the events of the movie as canon, they manage to do nothing but destroying the consistency of the main storyline. All of a sudden Impel Down is no longer an impregnable prison and Gol D. Roger’s main rival that was supposed to be his equal in strength is now matched by Luffy who is still owned by most high-rank marines and before he even learns Haki abilities. That is just crock; it makes the Pirate King to be a weakling by comparison. What was Oda smoking for writing a story that trashes his own setting?

Anyways, the story is weak as hell and despite trying to pass as super epic and world-shaking, it only ends up being a silly stroll of the Strawhats through a monster-filled island. I mean, seriously, it begins with the world being at the brink of collapse and several elite fighters gathering for the upcoming crisis and all it took was for the heroes to waltz through the enemy ranks and beat the crap out of the otherwise Sea Emperor-level threat. That was such a drag!

But that did not prevent the movie from having a very positive feedback from most of the fans. If you check out the average scores, this one kicks ass compared to the rest of the movies. Which in a way is misleading since in reality it was the following three reasons that made it appear as the best of them all.
1) It is the latest one so it is “supposed” to have the best score because of hype and novelty.
2) It took three years to see an actual new One Piece movie and not a disappointing summary.
3) It had lots of guilty pleasure. Seriously, they went overboard with how macho the guys and how sexy the girls are drawn.

And that is mostly why the movie was enjoyable for most fans. The humour was good for being written by Oda, the battles used all the most epic techniques up to that point in the story, there were lots of cameos of elite fighters from the main series, and everybody was looking all macho and sexy. What more is there to expect? A good plot? Who cares?

… I do and I loved what they went for in Dead End and Baron Omatsuri. Although the production values there were worse, at least there was something other than a goofy no-brainer with giggling boobs and trendy clothes in them. But hey, that’s just me; most people wanted fan service and they got it.

Overall, it is a shallow movie full of pointless poser action and a lame excuse of a story. The villains may be kinda funny but are otherwise empty shells with generic motives and their supposed decades-old plan of mass invasion was easily ruined by a handful of medium ranked pirates. But who cares; Nami’s boobs look so lively. MELORY, MELORY!

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 10/10
Analysis: General Artwork 2/2, Character Figures 2/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 2/2, Visual Effects 2/2

SOUND SECTION: 7/10
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 2/4, Sound Effects 3/3

STORY SECTION: 2/10
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 0/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 1/2

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Analysis: Presence 2/2, Personality 2/2, Backdrop 1/2, Development 1/2, Catharsis 0/2

VALUE SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Historical Value 0/3, Rewatchability 0/3, Memorability 1/4

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Analysis: Art 1/1, Sound 0/2, Story 0/3, Characters 0/4

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall