Nolikita's avatar By Nolikita on Aug 7, 2014

Okay. I have to say it - this is one of the best anime I've seen. Really. I liked everything about it. & it's the first time I cried so much over an anime.

STORY

I really liked the story. Very much. I don't know, it seemed quite unique for me. To be honest, all the "wall" thing kind of reminded me of SnK (lel), but I really found it new & unique to watch. It looked kind of peacefull at first, but then it became full of action, especially to the very end.

ANIMATION

I have no complains about animation. Everything looked beautiful & detailed enough, nothing more to say here.

SOUND

Can't really add anything here as well. Noone's voices seemed odd, the music was beautiful, I really liked the opening song, too.

CHARACTERS

Loved them. Simply loved them.  I loved Nezumi, who had a hard life, a kind of difficult, strong, cold personality. & I also loved Sion, who looked a bit... weird for me, but he's just such a warm person, even capable of changing other people. The other characters were not very eyecatching for me, they were good, but nothing really special I could say about them.

OVERALL

Since I loved everything about it, ofc I will be giving it 10/10. Like I mentioned before, it really is one of the best anime I've ever seen. I also liked that strong, loving relationship between the main characters & the fact that they're both males didn't bothered me at all.

mdchan's avatar By mdchan on Nov 20, 2014

Now, let me start off by saying that I'm rating this as compared to the light novel it was based off of, and will often reference the light novel.  Though I try to keep spoilers out of my reviews, I might need to include some slight ones (though I'll try to be as vague as possible) to explain why I gave it the rating it got.

On its own, it's pretty good until you hit the last episode.  However, if you get a chance to read the manga or light novel, you'll realize just how much the anime is lacking, and I highly recommend one or the other over the anime.

No.6 is a dystopian story about a boy who lives in a supposedly perfect town, but feels something is off about it.  This leads to him leaving his balcony window open, and the entrance of the second protagonist.

Without going into spoilers, as the actual plot is so complex and confusing that it needed a worded explanation at the end of the light novel, there's more to this city, No.6, than meets the eye, and the protagonist quickly finds that out when he becomes convicted of a crime he didn't commit; the death of his partner, which was caused by a parasitic wasp.

This is where the anime shines through, in its two main protagonists and two supporting characters.  However, there was something left unexplained in the anime, but I'll get to that later.

Shion is the main protagonist, and the second survivor of one of the parasitic wasps which is being covered up by No.6.  In fact, after witnessing his partner die due to one of them, he was transported to the Correctional Facility...though his transport was interrupted and he was rescued.  He has a very naive view of the world, and yet feels strongly about his views.  He knows something is rotten in No.6, but is hesitant to admit it, even when he sees the difference between where he used to live and the West Block where the outcasts live.  He flip-flops a lot in behavior in the later episodes; something which isn't explained in the anime.

Nezumi, a cynical boy, is the other protagonist, and had been saved by Shion when the latter opened his balcony window when they were younger.  As such, he wound up saving Shion from the officials who attempted to take the teen to the Correctional Facility.  He works in the West Block, and to put it bluntly, is a Shakespeare loving badass in both fighting abilities and attitude.

Inukashi is one of the supporting characters, and is the caretaker of an inn in the West Block, and was raised by dogs which now follow his every command.  There's a lot of controversy over whether Inukashi is male or female, but this one becomes a valuable member of gathering information and being on the team.

A latecomer to the team is Rikiga, who though hesitates at first, teams up with Inukashi to get the two teens valuable information and even aid them in their raid on the Correctional Facility later on when they try to rescue one of Shion's friends, Safu.

Safu is a friend of Shion's, and found his labeling as a criminal strange.  Due to her investigations, she was captured by the officials and taken to the Correctional Facility.  Shion's mother informed the boys of her capture via one of Nezumi's mice.

Elyurias is also a notable "character" who has a huge influence in the light novel and manga, though she only appears very briefly in the anime.  She's the deity of the Forest People, and one which the higher ups of No.6 wished to harness power from.

Overall

It can get a little graphic, but is definitely worth the time to see if you're a fan of dystopian society, strange storylines, and most importantly, Nezumi's character and relationship with Shion which frankly makes the anime worth watching more than anything else.

Nezumi's singing, and the forest song, was also beautiful and mystical, and exceptionally done in the anime.

Honestly, I didn't understand the actual story one bit; I felt like I was watching Akira, where I needed to watch it a few times to truly grasp what the concept was.  Unlike Akira, however, I still didn't understand the events and story...until I read the light novel.

Granted, the light novel had a word by word explanation at the end on pretty much the reason for all of the events which led up to the point of the explanation, but that was an explanation which was much needed in the anime.

One of the major issues I have with this anime, and why I rated it so low, was how it deviated from the light novel in the last couple episodes.  It felt rushed, and the ending overall felt like a cop-out.

There's also an incident which occurs in the final episode which doesn't make sense at all (and is different from the light novel's version, which makes much more sense), and that's this angry deity saving a human with no convincing needed...when the same deity wanted to see the human race destroyed due to their greed.  It doesn't add up or make an ounce of sense.

In fact, deciphering the actual storyline towards the end is difficult, and though we were given a word for word explanation on the events in the anime as well, it wasn't done as properly as in the light novel, and there were still some missing events not covered.  When understood, the story is actually interesting, but the hardest part is finding the true story in the series.  That, and there are still some oddities in the story.

When a series needs to resort to spelling out what was going on because of how confusing things had been, there's a problem.

Frankly, I felt the strange relationship Shion and Nezumi had was much more interesting than anything else.

I did have to dock a point from characters, but that applies to the anime only, as it doesn't explain why Shion seems to flip-flop between naively innocent and deadly/dangerous towards the end.

The missing explanation is that the parasitic wasps had a bit of control over their hosts, and made them more compliant and accepting of the rules, and dampened their sense of danger.  This also explains why barely anyone in No.6 (minus some resistance which was going on), but all of the people of the West Block, knew how truly rotten the city was.

Now, if that explanation was in the anime, Shion's attitude in the last few episodes during the raid on the Facility would have made more sense; I hope knowing that will allow the actions to make sense for anyone reading this who hasn't seen the anime.

SamayelSlash's avatar By SamayelSlash on Sep 1, 2014

One of the best anime produced in 2011, by a wide margin. No. 6 offers the combination of a well thought out science fiction view of a dystopian future, a strong supporting cast of relevant characters backing up the struggle of the two protagonists, Nezumi and Sion, well executed animation and an outstanding voice cast.

The anime manages to carry across almost all of the salient points of the novel, and although they can be hard to spot, the semi-Christian iconography inherent in the plot of the novel and manga can still be seen in the anime. (Note. A Paradise of science that is more like a hell for anyone who crosses its rules. Nezumi's (the last survivor of a pagan people from outside the city) stage name 'Eve', Sion's serpent-like scarring after his fall from grace and rescue.)

If any complaint could be made about this anime, it could only be that the desire for more goes unfulfilled, and the story ends in 11 episodes, resolved, but that doesn't change that more would have been welcome. Having been based on a novel, the beginning and end were fixed...not mutable and open to change, and while it's a faithful recreation of an excellent story, a watcher is left wishing there were hours more yet to go.

aldraw's avatar By aldraw on Apr 6, 2012

This was a great anime.  I really liked it a lot.  Gripping story, heartbreaking ending.  Only thing that really ruined it for me was watching two dudes kissing.  I would have given it a 9/10 if they left those two scenes out of the series.  Especially the ending I was all sentimental then.....eww.....  Not sure how much Shion actually cared about Safu there.....

Must be part of Atsuko Asano's fantasy but not one I share.

Still an excellent series minus those 2 two minutes.

Elfieeva's avatar By Elfieeva on Nov 25, 2014

I've just finished watching this anime. I really enjoyed it, but I did have a few problems with it (discussed below).

The story is stereotypical is in several aspects (utopian city, engineered diseases, corrupt government, apocolyptic scenes), and usually these are the sort of themes that I do NOT enjoy watching; however, the characters' responses to these situations and their interactions with one another shed an entirely different light on the type of themes that you see recurring again and again in science fiction animes/films/novels/tv series - and raised some important questions that got me thinking long after I'd turned my computer off. The relationship with Shion and Nezumi, was, of course, one of the most enjoyable aspects to watch develop.
My main problem with the story was that I felt that the ending was far too rushed, and as the revelations in the plotline seemed to pile upon each other, I was left with a sense that I had no idea what had happened, despite having watched the final episodes more than once. I believe that the producers tried to cram too much information into the last two episodes, rather than spreading it out over say, three (or even hinting at what was to come so that it'd make more sense at the end!)

The animation was good - characters and scenery drawn well and movements look natural.

The theme tune is quite unfittting - it's rather sickly, but I suppose in some ways it's different to the rock songs that are usually part of my anime playlist :P

I felt that the relationship between some of the characters could have been made more explicit - I found myself wanting to know more about the history of their connections. It would definitely have been nice to know more about Safu - the most the viewer gets is that she's smart and wants to have sex with Shion! It would also have been nice to have known more about Nezumi's history. I still found myself questioning at the end whether he was a good guy or a bad guy, but maybe that was the intention...his character is definitely a lot more developed in the manga (which I'm aware came after the anime, but I prefer it.)

Overall

Overall, I'm going to give this a 7. I'd definitely recommend it, but I think that if I could go back in time, I would have read the Light Novels first so that the ending made more sense.

6.5/10 story