Nolikita's avatar By Nolikita on Aug 7, 2014

Okay. I have to say it - this is one of the best anime I've seen. Really. I liked everything about it. & it's the first time I cried so much over an anime.

STORY

I really liked the story. Very much. I don't know, it seemed quite unique for me. To be honest, all the "wall" thing kind of reminded me of SnK (lel), but I really found it new & unique to watch. It looked kind of peacefull at first, but then it became full of action, especially to the very end.

ANIMATION

I have no complains about animation. Everything looked beautiful & detailed enough, nothing more to say here.

SOUND

Can't really add anything here as well. Noone's voices seemed odd, the music was beautiful, I really liked the opening song, too.

CHARACTERS

Loved them. Simply loved them.  I loved Nezumi, who had a hard life, a kind of difficult, strong, cold personality. & I also loved Sion, who looked a bit... weird for me, but he's just such a warm person, even capable of changing other people. The other characters were not very eyecatching for me, they were good, but nothing really special I could say about them.

OVERALL

Since I loved everything about it, ofc I will be giving it 10/10. Like I mentioned before, it really is one of the best anime I've ever seen. I also liked that strong, loving relationship between the main characters & the fact that they're both males didn't bothered me at all.

aldraw's avatar By aldraw on Apr 6, 2012

This was a great anime.  I really liked it a lot.  Gripping story, heartbreaking ending.  Only thing that really ruined it for me was watching two dudes kissing.  I would have given it a 9/10 if they left those two scenes out of the series.  Especially the ending I was all sentimental then.....eww.....  Not sure how much Shion actually cared about Safu there.....

Must be part of Atsuko Asano's fantasy but not one I share.

Still an excellent series minus those 2 two minutes.

roriconfan's avatar By roriconfan on Aug 14, 2012

No. 6 starts as the tale of a dystopian society. Everything looks idyllic on the surface while a horror hides in the shadows and the characters try to cope with that. Yet a few episodes later, all that is trashed for a done-to-death stereotypical gay relationship between the main two characters. Boy, were the fans trolled or what… Most were lured into the show for its very atmospheric and captivating world, all thanks to its very high production values. I mean just look how they made those trees! You want to hug them! The core theme is also interesting, as it has to do with a weird insect that turns its victims to mummies, yet the authorities do their best to hide this and even imprison eye witnesses as anarchists. This seemed like such an interesting premise at first.

And then WHAM the premise ends up being nothing but a background decoration and the whole plot becomes nothing more than gay romance. I don’t want to sound homophobic or anything, but the high scores and huge follow-up the series had at first was from sci-fi and mystery fans. NOT shounen-ai fans. In fact, the anime wouldn’t be half as famous or initially praised if they were telling us right away it would just be shounen-ai. And thus you have the sudden 70% drop of viewers midway, as they realized they were trolled.

Not me though, just looking at the production teams I was almost certain right away that the show would be a fail. This is you see a collaboration of BONES and NotanimA, both producers with some very good titles, as well as some really bad ones. Although most anime fans who hear such colossi names would immediately prepare for a masterpiece, I on the other hand have no illusions to what these studios are all about. BONES for example is notorious for its poor handling of the plot in all its works, while NotanimA does it right only when it makes slice-of-life / psychological / character-centered shows, such as Tatami Galaxy. With horrible dystopian anime such as Fractale and C in recent memory, and with Bounen no Xamdou’s “HEY THIS MAKES NO SENSE” scriptwriters, I could not see how they would pull something good out of this. I mean it is an 11 episode series with an apparent complicating setting and cast and most of the duration was slow and uneventful outside the gay bonding. How hard was it to figure out early on that this would fail? Not much I say.

But you know what? The problem is not just the premise being a joke; there is also very little plot in it. The first two episodes focused on getting to know the setting and the main two characters, and the others are only all about their friendship growing stronger rather than showing how this crisis can be overcome. It’s as if the main problem of the series doesn’t even matter. It is unexciting for most, as there is mostly talking, showing a few bug scenes, and then more gay innuendos. This is definitely not a good action show, nor horror or mystery; it is just weak romantic drama. All episodes provide some immersion to the setting but it is definitely not a captivating one if you are not into gays or tree hugging.

Furthermore, not even the chemistry between the two heroes is enough to compensate for that because they are very stereotypical, with nothing worth remembering them for. The first boy is the dorky meek high school kid with a heart of gold that has overrun all modern anime to the point of hating him on first sight. NO MORE; TRY HARDER! The second boy is an anti-hero of sorts as he is already fighting the authorities for being wrongfully accused. He is definitely somewhat more interesting yet still nothing worth talking about. He even feels like a carbon copy of Ganta from Deadman Wonderland, a show that ended just a few weeks this anime began. Makes the rehashing to feel boring. What are even sillier is how the gay chemistry between them is the most distinctive aspect of their personalities. Yes, they are THAT generic.

There are a few other secondary characters too, one female dog-breeder and one female schoolmate, who try to offer some depth to the series by dealing with secondary issues. The dog-breeder for example keeps giving these weird moral speeches about humans and animals not being that different, a thing that has fooled many to still believe the show is about the meaning of life and not your more that typical gay crap. The schoolmate on the other hand tries to find the truth behind the bug attacks. Effectively she is doing everything the main characters should be doing. And the funniest part is that she does all that because she has the hots for one of them. Poor girl, I can just imagine her look when she finds out he is totally gay and not interested in her. Or who knows, maybe she is a slashfic fangirl and she may actually dig the whole thing. Whatever, she is as dull as the rest of them.

You know what? Even if this WAS a sci-fi thriller, having tiny blood sucking bugs as the main enemy would not even be scary for most. This was doomed to fail from the very start. And to no surprise, the final three episodes try desperately to return to the sci-fi thriller, only to fail miserably because by now most viewers either dropped it or lost interest. And look at that, genocides, and shootings, and weird queen bees, and a totally unexciting finale where people die and gain hope without first managing to make the viewer care about them. It’s like they show you a piece of shit and then someone steps over it. Does that make you care? Of course not; it’s a piece of shit.

So no, it is a very bad series, awful plot, bad directing, uninteresting characters, louse finale, even worse if you count how it trolled and disappointed you into thinking it was more than gay crap with a serious story. Not recommended.

And now for some excused scorings.

ART SECTION: 7/10
General Artwork 2/2 (looks good)
Character Figures 1/2 (generic)
Backgrounds 2/2 (basic but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Animation 1/2 (basic)
Visual Effects 1/2 (basic)

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 2/3 (corny but fitting with the feeling of the series)
Music Themes 2/4 (average)
Sound Effects 2/3 (ok I guess)

STORY SECTION: 4/10
Premise 2/2 (interesting)
Pacing 0/2 (awful)
Complexity 1/2 (seems complicating at first but eventually it is nothing much)
Plausibility 0/2 (none)
Conclusion 1/2 (cheesy)

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10
Presence 1/2 (generic)
Personality 2/2 (gay but well founded)
Backdrop 1/2 (generic and simplistic but it’s there)
Development 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)
Catharsis 1/2 (overblown but it’s there)

VALUE SECTION: 2/10
Historical Value 0/3 (none)
Rewatchability 0/3 (never again)
Memorability 2/4 (good sci-fi ideas but that is all)

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 1/10
Art 1/1 (hug those trees)
Sound 0/2 (sounds meh)
Story 1/3 (good sci-fi ideas but that is all)
Characters 0/4 (gay)

VERDICT: 4.5/10

4.5/10 overall
Baeron's avatar By Baeron on Oct 1, 2011

I'd have to say that No. 6 started out with quite an interesting plot... started being the key word, as a boy gets rescured while being pursued by an ambiguous "safety squad" from the city. The story stays strong with intrigue and suspense.. untill around episode 7, when it begins to fall apart. Around episodes 9, it becomes more and more clear that the animators are suddenly rushed to conclude their storyline...not just conclude but concoct an ending, as if they never planned this far into the show. They do so by placing a supernatural air on the story, and by episode 10, they just dump it flat on the floor by dumping the "supernatural disaster" card to clean the whole dumped mess up. Then they start the slaughterhouse blades on all the background characters so that their story can actually get to the conclusion that the supernatural events opened.

In episode 11, when the show comes to a conclusion, there is still the lingering issue of the data-disk that they spent an etire episode trying to flesh out. Iinstead of using it to great effect they go: "Oh wait, the story is over and we still have this disk thingie... what should we do with it?" and then dedicate about 8 seconds to the smashing of the disk, as it suddenly became an "entirely unneccecary piece of plot" further showing that they had no real idea as to how the show would end when they started to make it.

Animation:

The animation was what I'd classify as good. The details were nice, although a few were inconsistent, such as in the cave a submerged walkway suddenly becomes an upraised platform within 2 seconds, that the elder of the cave sits on while handing over the aformentioned data disk.There were no truly memorable backgrounds that caught my attention, but there were a few times when the animation got a bit... sloppy during the action sequences and people would kind of stretch like putty.

Sound:

The sound effects were of normal quality, and didn't seem to have any more effort put into them than was absolutely necessary. The music on the other hand was okay, the introduction song was kind of grating on the ears with the falsetto female singer, but the real charm came form the thematic song in the middle of the story, while it is a tad overplayed they did bring it front and center with some style. Cheezy style, but style nonetheless.

The characters ride on the same wheel that the plot does sadly enough but they take less damage from it in the long run. In the beginning the characters are blank, a total mystery to the viewer, as to what and why each person is doing what they do. As the story goes on they begin to reluctantly reveal bits and pieces of the slums community outside the wall, as well as the people remaining inside the wall. Their lives slowy unveil themselves untill the end, when they start to act like posessed dolls as they too are hit by the "emergency supernatural intervention" card that the plot was run over by.

Sion, the innocent of this tale shows this posession the strongest when his eyes glaze over and he kills a guard, while his personality is completely eclipsed at an absurd rate durning the 10th episode, then suddenly snaps back into being for the 11th, all innocent and pure, as if the animators forgot "This kid just killed a man and he knows it".

Overall:

I'd have to say that the show was indeed enjoyable to watch, and I was slightly upset by the lack of care this series places on its conclusion. I do think it could be worth it to watch, if you're not particularly picky about what you watch.

SamayelSlash's avatar By SamayelSlash on Sep 1, 2014

One of the best anime produced in 2011, by a wide margin. No. 6 offers the combination of a well thought out science fiction view of a dystopian future, a strong supporting cast of relevant characters backing up the struggle of the two protagonists, Nezumi and Sion, well executed animation and an outstanding voice cast.

The anime manages to carry across almost all of the salient points of the novel, and although they can be hard to spot, the semi-Christian iconography inherent in the plot of the novel and manga can still be seen in the anime. (Note. A Paradise of science that is more like a hell for anyone who crosses its rules. Nezumi's (the last survivor of a pagan people from outside the city) stage name 'Eve', Sion's serpent-like scarring after his fall from grace and rescue.)

If any complaint could be made about this anime, it could only be that the desire for more goes unfulfilled, and the story ends in 11 episodes, resolved, but that doesn't change that more would have been welcome. Having been based on a novel, the beginning and end were fixed...not mutable and open to change, and while it's a faithful recreation of an excellent story, a watcher is left wishing there were hours more yet to go.