Mageinta's avatar By on Jul 2, 2014

First Impression:
I haven't even watched 10 minutes of episode 1 and I can already tell it's going to be one of THOSE shows. How do I know this? Character names revealed: Adam, Eve, Cruz Schild (Cross Shield). There is a mechanized murder machine designed to kill "Needless" and do you know what's it called? "The Testament". The first big damn hero to come through is a PRIEST. So, like Neon Genesis Evangelion, I know I'm in for some kind of Christian symbolism-laden series.

Okay, so I was totally right in my first impression. There's christianity everywhere, and it actually starts to annoy me. Adam and Eve are "created for each other", there's an evil corporation called 666, the big bad returns to the world through the 666 gate. Unlike NGE, which was totally a mind#$@! that I seriously doubt was intended for kids, Needless is a typical shounen anime with your typical shounen elements like extremely flat characters and superpowers. The superpowers are your standard class of superpowers: fire control, water control, gravity control, etc. and obviously someone's going to have the ability to copy other superpowers and it's going to be broken as all get-out and OF COURSE it'll be
one of the main characters and likely the bad guy will either have it or have a morepowerful version of it. Lo and behold, shounen never lets me down.

The characters are for the most part flat, and show no signs of development throughout the series. Actually, that's only partly true. You see flashbacks, and then you compare the flashback to the guy you see today and wonder, "Where the $#@! did someone go wrong?".

You follow Cruz Schild, a powerless baby brother that lost his sister in episode one after which he is rescued by "a priest", though as a man who was raised Catholic, he looks nothing like what I would consider a priest. Also, none of the priests I know of go on suicide missions holding grenades, but maybe the Monty Python is strong with our priest. Our priest is a complete pedophile and a violent moron, par for the course. He's the "Adam" and his partner "Eve" is a complete airhead. So let's look at our shounen checkbox list.

1. Call to adventure via family death - check
2. Moronic muscle dude - check
3. Someone that likes little girls - check
4. Female lead is a dumb broad - check

There are other characters to fill out the board if you're playing shounen bingo. Obsessed with power, obsessed with money, the guy everything happens to because he was unfortunate enough to not make his saving throw on comic relief, evil group in control of the country, double-crosser, etc. I don't believe lack of character can break a show but plenty of character certainly makes it. But because this is shounen I shouldn't expect much. Hoohah.

Can I also point out that the characters look like they're either made of jello-balloons or bricks? Unappealing and somewhat jarring.

The fight scenes are rather plain. If turn-based combat ever entered the real world, this is what I would expect it to be like. What annoyed me the most was when they'd yell their powers every time they used them, and they'd use them like 5-6 times a fight so it's not like you're missing anything if they opted to not yell them the third time onward. In fact, I might even venture so far as to say that Needless suffers from DBZ syndrome, where you spend a disproportionate amount of time yelling your attack or just yelling. I'm rather disappointed that the powers were very generic. There was a bit of science in there which I really appreciated (physics major woot woot) though it wasn't prolific enough to make a standing impression.And actually, while we're on the topic of what annoyed me, PANTY SHOTS. THERE ARE SO MANY OBVIOUS SHOTS THAT WERE MADE JUST TO BE PANTY SHOTS. I get that it's supposed to be exciting(?)... actually I don't get that. But maybe that's because I'm a 21 year-old man watching a shounen anime.

What about the story? The story feels a bit rushed. It's not terribly unpredictable, as there are hints of the double-crosser quite early in the show. There wasn't actually anything that made me spit-take my strawberry milk. Someone gets kidnapped and the big bad happens to throw a party at the place where the kidnapped is taken to. Rather convenient, and look! He also invited everyone to come with the consequence
of not coming being DEATH. So everyone goes there to rescue the kidnapped and it's almost like stop the big bad is an optional side quest but not really because the series doesn't have enough episodes to be that developed.

All that aside, there are some genuinely amusing parts of the show and while as a whole I think it really is just a kids show, there are some moments that were fun even for me. The story has a pretty decent foundation, and if the series were maybe twice as long, they could probably properly expand upon all of the little details that I thought could've make it great. The overall tone is light, and while the show may think it's being funny, it really isn't. But maybe that's the somewhat mature 21 year-old talking, since I most likely am about twice as old as the target audience. All-in-all, I say it's a weak show, not something that I'd watch again.

ratchet573's avatar By on Sep 18, 2011

Needless is, as the name implies, needless. Needlessly violent, needlessly stupid, and needlessly likeable for some reason. It’s replete with action, comedy, and enough fan service to make Kokonoe Rin blush, but it comes across as almost a parody half of the time instead of something really trying. At least, toward the beginning. The end tries to take a more serious route and while it does succeed, it succeeds in giving us a cliche story that could have been left out and still maintain the integrity of the show. If there were no back story is could have been a parody or a comedy but with that background it seems like it’s actually trying to be something real.

It’s hard to classify Needless as anything because of this. It’s Shounen, but is it a comedy, an action story? While it can be both, it changes tone so fast you don’t know what hit you.

There is a story to this series, which I found strange at first because the series starts with what appears to be a very basic plot of an evil corporation full of super-powerful people fight a resistance of super powerful people. But later on we get a background plot of science experiments and creating god and all kinds of really thing biblical stuff that is trying to make the show sound smarter than it really is. And the problem with the story in the series is it follows the same basic plot as Trigun and Trinity Blood. Spoiler The good guy and bad guy are experiments, pretty much brothers. And they are both called Adam to go with Eve. Which is a lot like Cain and Abel from Trinity Blood.

While I can accept the biblical parts, it just seems needless (Ba-ba-ching). There’s also a thin plot about the main character, Cruz’s sister but none of it is really that great. The story is weak and there seems to be a bit too much of it toward the end when we’ve been exposed to fight scene after fight scene mixed with comedy, breaking the flow of things.

In other words, don’t come to Needless expecting quality story-telling.If it were to boil down to anything, Needless is the story of a bunch of people with powers in a post-apocalyptic world where they fight each other formulaicly for twenty-four episodes.

I had no problem with the animation. Characters looked a lot like those from Gurren Lagann which was a bit of a problem at first (Cruz=Simon)(Eve=Yoko)(Blade=Kamina). But it doesn’t matter, the animation is perfectly fine, though it isn’t amazing. It’s average.

I decided to watch the dubbed version and wasn’t surprised that there were quite a few voice actors who were god awful, including Cruz’s sister who had to have been played by a robot. I guess the main characters did competently but…you know. I don’t expect much from my dubs.

The first opening and ending song for the show is good, but the second opening and ending isn’t. Within the show, the heavy metal soundtrack is pretty good.

This is a typical screen-cap from this show.

Believe it or not, the characters in this show are average! There are a lot of characters but very few actually stand out. Blade is a lolicon priest who is probably the funniest character in the show, Cruz is an emo kid, Eve is a ditzy girl with big boobs. There’s a scientist who states the obvious or reiterates what somebody has just said.There are the girls of the Beautiful Girl Squadron, all of whom have no substance, though I like the seemingly mute lesbian one, Kuchinashi. The bad guy, Adam Arclight, is generic.

So, not much to talk about in this department.

It’s funny because she’s kind of mute! Ha…ha?

An anime that prides itself on violence, panty shots, and comedy? It has to be good right? Fight scenes are too damn long, and when you have a twenty-four episode anime, you don’t want to stretch out ten episodes as one fight scene in the same room. Seriously, from episode nine to nineteen or so the show takes place in a single room. It gets rather boring and so does the anime. It starts fast-paced and promising but ends rather dully. I heard that the fight scenes in this show were some of the best in anime and I would like to tell the person who said that to suck a dick because the fight scenes in this show were lame and basic. I was not impressed by this show at all, but it was a decent distraction. It had some good moments, a lot in fact, but it was just so trite and basic and as it continued it tried to inject story but failed.

Meh, it’s okay. If you like shounen, watch this. If you don’t, then don’t watch this.

I’m gonna give it a 4/10.

This is cause for fan service!

Main character Cruz infiltrates an all-girl school, disguising himself as a girl, in order to find his sister. All the female characters from the show are there and ready to show their panties and naked bodies to you. Lots of comedy gold as Cruz is made to hide his penis from everyone. One of the girls thinks it is a strange blister. He is found out to be a boy but not allowed to leave the school so made to stay after he finds his sister and join secret Idol classes where the girls learn to sing and dance on stage. He sings and dances with his sister at the end.

It is a beautiful, uproarious story sure to tug at your heart strings because we have all been in a situation where we put on a dress and infiltrate an all-girls school. There is enough fan service within twelve two minute episodes to keep you happy for ages if you are in the mood for some shaft waxing. It is super awesome spectacular awesome-sauce and you will enjoy it much!

(In other words, what the fuck was this, and why did I watch it?)
A 4/10

What a scathing review! Poor Kuchinashi was the only one left alive!

Shadowfoot's avatar By on Jul 14, 2011

Story (4.5/10)

Twenty four episodes of misery. I hated each second of this completely irrelevant anime. Every aspect of this anime was brain numbing and hard to watch, wait, well not every aspect, the storyline was probably the best part of the story, but still it was very, very poorly thought out. The story immediately begins with a random fighting scene in which only one person survives, Cruz Schild, and is rescued by a priest named Adam Blade. The story is set in a post third world war where people who are called Needless who has weird super powers are born from a place called The Black Spot which contains a large amount of contaminated materials. I think that is enough of the storyline, I do not want to spoil the miserable experience for any other person and frankly I just do not want to talk about it anymore.

Animation (2/10)

The animation was, well, shit. The one thing I realized was that someone with an ear fetish had to have drawn this, because their ears were huge, no, gigantic in proportion with the rest of their features. Not that any of the other features on their faces made up for these deformed ears. It seemed as if the characters all had their own facial expression and it never disappeared from their face. Adam Blade always looks angry, Cruz always looks scared and Adam’s partner, Eve Neuschwanstein always looks like an idiot.

The background detail was not that bad, what I am really saying here is that it was good in a Needless way, which is mediocre.

Sound (3/10)

Again, poor. The opening soundtrack was fast paced rubbish that made no sense what so ever, which seemed to fit perfectly with the rest of the story. The closing soundtrack was a girlish song that had no reference to Needless at all, rather it is almost like a advertisement for Needless: The Secret of Saint Lily Academy. Which has nothing to do with Needless itself.

The voice acting was always loud. It is almost as if the people thought shouting would make it into the perfect anime.

Characters (2/10)

Cliché is all I can say, Adam is a bad mannered priest who smokes, Eve is the girl who seems to be in love with him and Cruz is the usual main character who is afraid of everything and anyone and cannot seem to find the courage to believe in himself.

The characters never develop in my mind, they are placed into the story as is, nothing more, nothing less. It is almost as if the viewer must guess where each character came from, and this pisses me off.  At least they explain the power each Needless has otherwise the story would be impossible to follow for the normal human being. Everything about the characters remind me of how badly made this anime is, nothing about them is thought through, they were just thrown into the story, I almost feel sorry for them, because its not their fault for being badly developed.

Overall (2/10)

They tried to make an anime that would they thought would be great. They took every recipe for a well thought about anime and threw it into a blender, the end product? A disgusting mush of misery. Not recommended to anyone with a IQ higher than 90.

4.5/10 story
ReiTsubomi's avatar By on Nov 12, 2010

As I watched Needless, I constantly thought that the first sentence of my review for it would be 'What the SHIT was this...?' That's not that I ever thought it was bad- per se. It's because Needless is so fucking crazy that I wasn't sure if it would ever so signs of sophistication. Boy was I surprised. What started as an average set up that I could describe in one setence to sound exactly like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann sans mecha ended up being an action packed tale that created it's own entity and a lasting impression on me.

Adam...FUCKING... BLADE! It's been a while since.... No, not a while, it's been since Kamina I've seen someone so manly and full of epic. Blade is downright hilarious, a lolicon priest with the ability to absorb anyone's powers. How do I put this... he's like Gintoki and Kamina combined in a giant bowl of testasterone! His antics are really gold, some of them caught me so unaware I narrowly avoided an asthma attack from laughter. That should clue you in though- some of the comedy is shock humor and quite a bit goes a bit on the farside so easily offended people should look elsewhere.

The other portion of the comedy is in how outright stupid (in a good way) Needless is. Attack names are the most rediculous I've ever seen, and damn is it funny. For some reason, shouting LITTLE BOY in english is the attack name for a fire punch. Yeah. On the subject of randomness, DAMN did Needless have an awesome 1st opening... seriously. Even if you don't end up watching this series give the opening a look at least.

Besides Blade, none of the other hero characters really hold up as interesting save for a few. Many of them are nothing but cutouts from stereotypes we've seen before, but I have a feeling that's what Needless was attempting to do. I liked the heroine, Eve and the Robotic loli Disc, but thats about all of them that aren't cutouts. But do cutouts really have to be so bad? Not in Needless' case. Most of the pointless Ecchi comes from the 'Pretty Girl Squad', which is essentially a 3 girl battalion of cutouts... and lord were they adorable. Dr. Gido is the definition of the 'Good Scientist', and I ended up loving him as a character too. Stereotypes are used effectively in Needless thus making it bareable and entertaining. Unfortunatly the same is true on the other side of the character cast, and the vast majority of Villains were bland and unoriginal. I'd go as far to say that only one of them was original, to be honest. If I hadn't made it clear, come to Needless for the action and the humor. It's not fucking Shakespeare.

While this show was random battle scenes wedged between various ecchi scenes, this changed at the climax of the series and for the last 5 episodes or so, I was truly absorbed. In the final scenes we finally get some depth into the good characters and many of our questions are finally answered, not to mention some really good fights and an awe-inspiring final battle. Personally, I liked Needless. But some people will not be able to wait till the end for it to 100% catch their interest. That's not to say the rest of the series is bad, but it's definatly nothing you haven't seen before.

7.5/10 characters
7.8/10 overall
eaper's avatar By on Feb 21, 2010

If you are looking for an action anime that seems to draw upon the story lines of many of the great anime of its genre (read: Gurren Lagann), but lacks the expected character development that is expected in any 24 episode series, more than 2 or 3 glimpses of what could be construed as an original plot, a lot of battles cut off in the middle of it, and a lot of panty shots, then this is your show. If you want a solid, at least somewhat original anime that manages to have a good mix of plot, action, and character development, you should stay away.

Apart from the lack of originality that this series exhibits, I would have to say that the two most annoying parts of this series are the completely obvious "twists" in the plots, and the fact that, in the middle of a large battle scene, everything will stop so that protagonists can figure out what the other side is doing, while the bad guys obligingly sit and watch them do such. Yes, this series does manage to have several "twists and turns," but when you can see most of them coming several episodes before they happen, they tend to lose effect.

The other thing that annoyed me most about this series was the sheer stupidity of some of these characters. When the main character managed to figure out someone's power (even though one of their partner's power was to FIGURE OUT WHAT ANYONE'S POWER IS) everybody was so shocked, even though it was obvious. While this character sat there and figured out what that person's power is, or their weakness, or the plan they needed to use, the bad guys just sat there, politely waiting for them to mount a counter attack. This annoyed me beyond anything else in the series.

In total, ignoring my three major grievances, this isn't a terrible series, and, if you're in the mood for a lot of action, this could be a good series for you to see.