cassiesheepgirl's avatar By on Sep 22, 2009

I’m not ashamed to admit that I adore shounen anime, but it's a rocky romance. Consisting of dizzying highs of compelling fights followed by the bitterly crushing disappointment of tedious filler, the genre in itself becomes a love/hate affair. With all the extensive publicity, fanboyism and build-up surrounding the series, I had foolishly come to anticipate that Naruto would be different; however, as I soon came to discover, I was wrong.

Twelve year-old shinobi-in-training, Naruto Uzumaki, lives in the hidden ninja village of Konoha. Shortly after he was born, the powerful nine-tailed demon fox was sealed inside him and, as the host of this monster, Naruto has spent his life as the village outcast. The show follows him in the early stages of his career and the deadly foes that not only pose a threat to Konoha, but also to himself and the entire ninja world.

No matter how I look at it, Naruto doesn’t attempt to push the boundaries of the shounen genre all that much. Instead it joins a plethora of other similar shows and happily falls back on a box-ticking exercise. Lively, young male lead protagonist with an unusually strong power – check. Said character rapidly improves and becomes more powerful with each passing mission – check. Group of friends whose bonds are stronger than any foe – check. Nevertheless, despite following this conventional recipe, I still found the plot wholly gripping.

Though initially the series appears to focus more on Naruto himself, attention soon shifts more towards the bigger picture and the introduction of the show’s main villain – Orochimaru. I find that this is when Naruto becomes far more intriguing as, with each event, more details came to light about the character’s pasts. This allows the series to become more than simply a young shinobi completing his missions.

Also, as is typical with such anime, the series includes a healthy dose of comedy. For me, the inclusion of well-placed humour can make or break a shounen anime. Luckily, Naruto balances the comedic content perfectly with the kick-ass action and riveting fights. I found myself completely enthralled in the world of the Konoha ninja; in particular, the Chuunin Exam, Hunt for Tsunade, and Sasuke Retrieval arcs had me so engrossed, that even getting up and going to the loo became an unforgivable interruption.

It was all going so well until I was unceremoniously dumped into an eighty-five-episode run of filler – goodbye quality storytelling, hello mediocrity! The extraneous episodes add nothing to the plotline, and honestly I couldn’t give a flying shuriken about the hidden star village, or some rare beetle with an incredible sense of smell. Half a point goes to the ‘Curry of Life’ arc, which at least raises a smile, but the rest fail to make a lasting impression. While marginally better than the dismal turds of filler that Bleach foists upon its viewers, I would still rather repeatedly stab myself in the leg with a kunai than sit through this third of the series again.

Naruto doesn’t boast any exceptional animation, though from a long-running series, I don’t anticipate much else. However, the fight scenes do demonstrate some respectable movement, helping the viewer to engage with the action.

The series’ character designs are acceptable, but standard. Each character displays an odd visual attribute to match the quirk of their personalities. Details such as Kiba’s emphasised canine teeth help to re-affirm that he comes from a clan that works with ninja dogs, while the ‘Inner Sakura’ provides ample humour throughout. Though these idiosyncrasies aren’t spectacularly inventive, the result is nonetheless effective.

Toshio Masuda delivers a first-rate score to accompany the visuals. Each piece ideally suits the tone of the scene and serves well to heighten the series’ comedy, tension and drama.

I found that Naruto’s myriad opening and ending themes would often leave little lasting impression at first, but in time I would find myself humming or singing along to many of them. The series’ first opening, ‘Rocks’, deserves particular mention for sounding strangely reminiscent of a corny and rather dodgy eighties rock track. As such, it satisfies my occasional desire for some truly cheesy music, and makes it onto my list of favourite anime themes.

As typical shounen fare, Naruto’s cast neither appears to aim for, nor achieves, any particular level of ingenuity. The characters are entertaining and appealing in themselves, but they don’t exceed expectations. Naruto himself is the archetypal lead protagonist – lively, powerful, and a bit dense. While some of his antics and lack of awareness may invoke a sense of irritation at times, Naruto’s unrelenting determination and loyalty to his friends make it difficult to entirely dislike him.

In stark contrast to Naruto’s vivacious personality comes the series’ secondary protagonist, Sasuke. As the polar opposite of his teammate, Sasuke is a quiet and highly intelligent ninja, though his composed and egotistical nature makes him appear little more than a complete asshole. However, with his often disagreeable temperament and his entire life being driven by a rampant desire for revenge, Sasuke becomes one of the show’s more fascinating characters.

Meanwhile, the remaining cast simply seem to fit into nice little labelled boxes. Here’s the cool one; and there’s the evil genius guy; oh, and don’t forget that funny one, you know, with the massive eyebrows and freaky hairdo. While this is entertaining and helps to establish each person’s role, this stereotyping inevitably limits the amount of creativity in their characters.

One of the more impressive aspects of Naruto’s cast comes from its character development. Naruto starts out as an oblivious attention seeker, but soon becomes a slightly less oblivious and far more capable ninja who is determined to protect his friends at all costs. His lonely past also makes this evolution in Naruto’s personality effective in a second way. As he gradually gains the trust and respect of the other ninja, those around him also begin to change. The admirable development of the series’ cast enables an array of easily pigeonholed characters to advance past the chains of some of their stereotypes and gain a greater depth of personality.

So, does Naruto really merit all the hype surrounding it? Well, kind of. If I were rating this purely on enjoyment, then the nines would be flowing; I became hooked and couldn’t get enough. However, while the bulk of the plot is worth watching and has the ability to draw the viewer in, Naruto dedicates over a third of the series to superfluous and mundane filler arcs. Consequently, I cannot honestly call it a masterpiece of Japanese animation. This series is very much a prelude to its successor, and only seems to scratch the surface of the plot. Fans of the shounen genre should definitely check this out, though you might want to do yourself a favour: skip the filler following the Sasuke Retrieval arc and move straight onto Naruto Shippuuden.

6.5/10 story
6.5/10 characters
6.7/10 overall
roriconfan's avatar By on Apr 29, 2012

Full list of the review series can be found on this page, 3rd post from bottom:

Since the anime is still on-going, I will only analyze what I have seen so far in it.

Nobody can deny the fact that Naruto created a sensation in its first years, unparallel to most of everything else. It wasn’t like most anime that come out and are forgotten in a few months; people are still talking about it a decate after it began. There was simply way too much context in it for anyone to find something to talk about. The story, the character interactions, the symbolisms, the hand seals, the philosophy, the possible revelations later in the story, the tributes to Japanese history and mythology, and even the means to do proper cosplay, there was simply a gazillion things to concern yourself with. I can even say it was the main attraction for most newcomers to the medium and a very easy way to get into talking about anything else. Seriously, every time we had an anime meeting newbies would appear with some sort of Naruto accessory and they would be the center of attention for hours, an easy way to become part of the group and start talking. You would go into net cafes and see a group of ten people sitting in a row, each one doing a Naruto marathon. You would have others trying hard to memorize the hand seals, to improve their drawing skills just so they can do better character sketches, to learn Japanese language and history so they could better grasp the hidden meanings behing everything in the show. Naruto was THE show to talk and get active about. And it was fun while it lasted. To be honest I was never a fanboy of the show but I too was using the whole hype as an excuse to start talking about… anything. It is a fine gate anime, really.

Sadly, pretty much like most things in life, after all these years the series is hardly as good as it began. Along the way it lost a lot of its magic and vitality and progressively started to feel like more of a milkcow than a well told story. Even the mangaka started to make mistakes or care less, lose track of his own subplots and deliberately slow them down so he could cash in as much as possible. Also other shows began to come out and steal the spot light, starting with its main rival Bleach (which was also good at first) and then with the revived fandom of One Piece. Today it feels like a shadow of what it was at first, a good memory but eventually something you would most likely regret to have invested so much time, money, and effort. It was an easy way to make anime friends but after the sparkling wears off, Naruto is not that good after all; it is just very well promoted and marketed to easily appeal to most anime fans. Not a bad thing considering how most shows get forgotten fast but definitely not one deserving to become the ideal show for several millions of people. There are far more elaborate, mature, and eventually better directed anime out there that hardly get the credit they deserve.

ART SECTION: 7/10 [Things are not what they seem to be in Naruto’s world.]
Analysis: General Artwork 1/2, Character Figures 2/2, Backgrounds 2/2, Animation 1/2, Visual Effects 1/2

The artwork is definitely original in a way, as most areas, especially the ninja villages, are very cool looking in their design. Yet at the same time it is full of anachronisms and irrelevant details which break the magic if you ever try to think about it. Why are there ninjas in a world where everyone can simply use computers or machineguns? Or how can ninjas really be stealthy when most of them wear bright colored cloths and have tattoos that make them stand out in the crowd? Or head guards that identify their hidden village? Or why are the villages even called hidden when they are in plain sight? Oh, sure, the characters all look cool, trendy macho kids that easily attract the eye. Yet, they are supposed to be ninjas; and the last time I checked, ninjas were nothing like them. They don’t look as such, nor do they behave that stealthy or serious; heck, they are closer to magicians than ninjas. So, looking cool is good but looking like immature trendy nerds is not. Especially when they seem to have only one set of cloths.

One would of course say this is fiction and that it is logical not to expect realism. One could easily say that in this world ninjas use illusions and body exchanges instead of stealth. Ok, let’s go with that. Those awesome hand seals and funky jutsus and amazing special effects gave a unique identity to the show by providing signature moves for every character. Yet, that made the series far less realistic than what it wanted to appear being. Everything was possible as long as you could make a copy or an illusion of yourself. I mean, how can you believe that the characters use strategy in battle, if they keep exchanging places with a log when they are hit or make water appear out of nowhere? It takes away any feeling of strategy if everything is just transformations to whatever you like. Plus, professionals would never be tricked by techniques they are using themselves for so many years yet in the series they are constantly fooled by amateurs. Not to forget to mention how if you have a Sharingan or a Tailed Beast on your side and the other one doesn’t, you pretty much have an auto-win. So believe it or not, the Naruto ninjas are far less interesting than the classical ones in terms of warfare and a balance of power simply doesn’t exist.

I understand that it is supposed to be eye-catchy for the younger audience but there are simply no connecting points of reference amongst everything you see. In fact, it feels like random ideas in random applications after awhile. Here is a computer, next to a ninja dog summoned with some hand seals, next to a circus. The setting is blending technology and magic with absolutely no excuse. It looks eye catchy at first but quickly becomes so random that loses interest. Just use a gun if you have one; don’t hire ninjas!

Then there is the fluctuation in the quality of the animation. The level of detail keeps increasing and dropping in various moments, thus you feel weird when a character looks awesome in one episode and lame in another. Overall, this is Studio Pierrot doing its usual semi-lazy job. At parts it’s good, at parts it’s a blob, overall its production values drop vertically after a point on.

SOUND SECTION: 8/10 [-We are fighting dreamers! -Yes you are. Wake up sleepyheads!]
Analysis: Voice Acting 2/3, Music Themes 3/4, Sound Effects 3/3

Acoustics in music themes are very good but some more variety wouldn’t hurt, as they repeated too often. The songs were far more memorable in the first seasons; from a point on they felt average. Voice acting was ok, full of shallow ideology and philosophy to mesmerize the kids, although hearing idiotic remarks and endless flashback monologues was getting to my nerves after a while. Sound effects had an awesome variety and did a great job at boosting the interest in action scenes.

STORY SECTION: 3/10 [The story was an illusion-type jutsu because it doesn’t really exist.]
Analysis: Premise 1/2, Pacing 0/2, Complexity 2/2, Plausibility 0/2, Conclusion 0/2

This is where they really messed up the series. At first, it felt quite epic and mysterious but it quickly became lukewarm and clichéd.

- For starters, half of the episodes are fillers. They have no significant plot or interesting stories, so they are not the good kind of fillers. That drops the story-based duration to 50%.
- Then again, half of the duration of all story-based episodes is just recaps, dragging, stalling and general dead time, where we listen to things we already know or stare at characters who space-out and talk about the story of their lives, in the most irrelevant moments. That drops the story-based duration to 25%.
- Wait, there is more. Another half of that half is just battles between secondary characters who don’t really affect the story. They do give a feeling of progress but in reality they could easily be left out without damaging the story at all. For you see, the plot revolves around 10 people, while there are about 100 more, which don’t really do anything of importance. That drops the story-based duration to 12%.
- Add to that the fact that since the title of the series is named after the protagonist, he will always survive and win in every situation. Makes it all too predictable.
- Of course the most disappointing thing about the story is how it lost its magic along the way and turned to a clusterfuck of random ideas and side stories without any focus or proper analysis invested to them. It became way too confusing and chaotic, with lukewarm tension and dull pacing.

I give some credit for providing a feeling of progress in learning new techniques and explaining the way everything works with the chakras. But even that was just standard rpg fad and gave a terribly misleading image of what the 7 Hindu body chakra or the ninzitsu concentration hand seals really were.

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10 [Are the characters changing places with logs, or are they logs in reality?]
Analysis: Presence 2/2, Personality 2/2, Backdrop 2/2, Development 0/2, Catharsis 0/2

Ah, it was all fun and games but it failed to present a proper cast.

The protagonist is Naruto, who is a complete idiot that yells “I will become the best in the world-dattebaiyo” every 5 minutes. When someone is in trouble, he changes his quote to “I will save him/her”. His motives are the most typical of most shonen leads. It was interesting at first when he was the unsecured little orphan nobody liked. He was striving for acceptance and thus everybody could identify with that. Later on he shifted his entire mission to just save his ex-rival Sasuke. That was no longer a personal drama to be fond of since he was NOT than much of a friend to begin with and Naruto still has a hundred others who still care deeply about him. Even later we find out he is the son of a very powerful man and that he is even the Chosen One to save the world. Ok, I officially don’t care about him after all this crappy turnaround. Everybody liked him when he was just a weak boy trying to be the leader of his village. Now he is an emo killing machine wasting his life trying to save an uncaring asshole, full of broken powers and constant Deus Ex Machina events that continually save him and make him nothing but a generic savior stereotype. Plus he constantly ignores the girls around him and cares only to save that male traitor, making the whole thing very gay.

The main rival is Sasuke, the grumpy emo who wants to revenge against his big brother. How original is that? Big brothers are always villains in shounen. He spends all his life trying to be strong just so he can kill people. And when he succeeds, he is not satisfied and kills some more. And then more. It was ok the first time; this guy had a billion fangirls who loved his stereotypical “play hard and uncaring” attitude. All the chicks loved him, all the boys were jealous of him, he was a protegy with superb cool powers and a sad past to feel sorry about. But later on he turned to a hateful prick; his life has no meaning at all other than “kill random people”. He became nothing more than a cold bastard working with thugs, and planning to commit genocide just because he has no idea what he is doing. Impossible to relate with.

How about Kakashi, whose only feature is his hidden face? What else did he offer to the story? Or maybe Sakura who just does nothing other than acting like a useless fan-girl most of the time? And to think that THESE are the main cast that affects the story; all the rest are there mostly for show. I won’t deny the fact that Orochimaru was an awesome villain or Shikamaru was a strategic mastermind or Hinata was the most moe thing ever. Still, all these characters were just dressing for the series. With the exception of Shikamaru none of these hundreds evolved as characters nor did they offer anything to the story. And as usual, female characters are presented as useless and irritating all the time.

A major problem with most shonen series is that they throw in a huge number of characters and then have no time (or talent) to develop them. They do a fine job colorizing them with personal tragedies and unique jutsus but they don’t really mature them in any real way. Just check the Soul Eater anime for example. It had far less secondary characters and thus far more time to develop them, without dragging the story with unimportant side stories, as Naruto did.

I do understand that most of the appeal the characters have is aesthetic and not actually about personalities. Naruto is the typical insecure boy who wants recognition from his peers. He ain’t smart of handsome, yet does his best to make a difference. He also likes a girl who ignores him and rivals a silent type pretty boy, who gets all the chicks for being a cold bastard. Plus there is a huge number of characters, each one with his or her own quirks just so anyone can pick their personal favorites. All these make a nice basic teen story that can appeal to most in the target group. But at the same time, the show does little with it. It even shifts its focus towards something far less interesting later on and wastes its quality away with a lot on funky battles and character quirks instead of actual character development.

VALUE SECTION: 6/10 [Get the cat, win pocket money.]
Analysis: Historical Value 3/3, Rewatchability 1/3, Memorability 2/4

Hey, there wouldn’t be dozens of millions of Narutards world-wide if it wasn’t famous and had lots of historical value. Still, you will skip a lot of episodes if you ever watch it again. Too much blah, blah and flashbacks where nothing happens. It is good for a shounen series and does break the mold from time to time but it still remains pretty freaking clichéd and slow passed, something that becomes more and more evident as the story goes on. You just lose your motivation as the show keeps going. And to be honest, most of its good points are nothing but a rehash of Hunter X Hunter, a shonen show with much better strategy and character development (the story there sucks though).

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 3/10 [Curry of Life was the series’ death.]

Despite the sheer stupidity of the series, I admit that it was very attention-absorbing. I really digged those funky jutsus and semi-serious strategies in battle and almost forgot to think how idiotic it all was. My enjoyment was high, up until episode 135 of the original. Then, those lame fillers came along up to the end and dropped my enjoyment to zero. That halved my enjoyment for the whole series as well. Even after the show returned to canon story in Shippuden, it was still moving slowly and with lots of inserted filler arcs every 20 episodes, making it highly irritating.

I understand that the series was much more enjoyable for the average 12-year-old viewer, who was accustomed to watching only Pokemon or Sailor Moon. Also much more interesting for all those 20-year-olds who grew up with Dragonball Z. That still doesn’t cover for the fact that I have seen far better shonen.

VERDICT: 5.5/10
The show got ruined by turning to a ridiculous dragged out random pile of clichés.

5.5/10 overall
thecrimsonclaw's avatar By on Jul 10, 2014

I've been meaning to do this one for a while... Here it goes...

"Naruto" is the Anime adaption of the Manga of the same name, created by Masashi Kishimoto, which started in 1999. Since it's debut in 2002, "Naruto" has ranked among the most popular anime series of all time, is currently considered a member of "The Big Three" and is so immense in it's popularity (especially in the West), that even those who do not watch anime or don't even know what anime is (yes these people exist) know of "Naruto".

"Naruto" has recieved very high acclaim from many, whilst a small minority have chosen to instead bash the show as "Shounen shit", "Casual shit" or, my favourite, simply "Fucking shit".

But what do I think of "Naruto"? Read on and find out...

The Premise:

The premise of "Naruto" is actually pretty captivating and sets things up nicely. Several years before the beginning of the series, a giant Nine-Tailed Demon Fox showed up from some unknown reason, and attacked the Village Hidden in the Leaves (more commonly referred to as the "Leaf Village"). The Ninja of the village tried to stop the Fox, but failed, that is until the leader of the Village, the Fourth Hokage, stepped into the fray, and with his mighty powers, sealed the Demon Fox away, into the body of a newborn child. That newborn child, was named "Naruto".

Several years after this incident, Naruto has grown up into a hyperactive youth, who causes mischief and chaos throughout the village, and always plays pranks on people, due to the people shunning him, and mistreating him, as they are afraid of him because of the Demon Fox that rests within his body. Naruto however, has absolutely no idea that this spirit is inside him, and is confused why everyone despises him so. Due to his mistreatment, Naruto has one goal in mind: the become the next Hokage, the greatest Ninja in his village, so the people will respect him and marvel at his greatness, so he can be a Hero, but this task, is easier said than done. From there on, the story follows Naruto, his fellow Ninja in training and his teachers, as Naruto goes on missions, hones his skills and takes every step he can to achieving his goal, all with some evil plots and mysterious baddies plotting from the shadows.

"Naruto" is essentially a coming of age story about a misunderstood teenager, who has been thrust into a world of war, violence and instability, who simply wants to be the best (like no on ever was!!!), and you know what? Despite it's clicheness and it's criticisms, it fucking works. The premise is great and anyone who says otherwise is dumb and has no taste.

A well founded universe:

The Naruto Universe is very well set up, explained and filled with a high degree of complexity that I consider it to be one of the best crafted fictional anime universes ever.

The story is set in an alternative version of Japan, where the world revolves around Ninja and the Villages they hail from. There are five different villages, each of them have a leader known as a "Kage" and the Ninja from these villages take on "missions" or "requests" from external parties to earn income for their villages.

This simple system, on top of a history so vast and detailed that it'd be impossible to sum up in a mere paragraph, provide one of the greatest fictional universes I've ever witnessed. It's just so well crafted, and the foudations are so solid it's difficult to poke holes in it or even remotely criticise it. Say what you want about Kishimoto. Sure he copied Hunter x Hunter to no end with this series (I'll get to that when we reach the Characters Section), but this man knows how to create a well founded universe. Better than I, and better than most of his critics or peers. I said it.

The story itself:

However, while the premise itself is well written and fantastic, the general story itself is somewhat lacking. The general story being told is simply many events of things happening around Naruto and co. and Naruto and co. doing something about it, or taking part in the events.

A lot like "Fairy Tail", the arcs themselves are very seperated, which isn't all that great. However there is one thing that makes this acceptable, and that is that despite the seperated feeling of these arcs, major events happen in each arc, which serve as consequences for later arcs. On top of that, the entire anime series of "Naruto" is simply all a big massive set up for the sequel series "Naruto: Shippuden", which is arguably where the real story begins, which is why, I don't mind one bit if the story feels lacking, as the set up is great.

Poor Pacing:

But despite all the high points above, "Naruto" has some incredibly dreadful pacing issues. To start with, the series is 220 episodes in length, with a huge percentage of the final count being filler episodes. But shoving the filler aside for the moment, the key point to remember here is that "Naruto" is entirely set up for the sequel, and including filler, that means you're watching 220 episodes of pure, fucking set up which is awful pacing. In the span of this time, not all that much actually happens.

Episode count aside, there are a lot of instances where things just tend to horribly drag. A primary example is during a particular arc, where Naruto and co. are chasing down one of their allies who's gone AWOL. Aside from a few epic battle scenes happening in between, we have to pathetically watch Naruto and co. jump across tree branches in pursuit for at least 3 or 4 episodes. It's annoying, and this happens way too often and just grinds everything to an almost stop. Sometimes it can be unbearable to watch.

Then there's the filler. God. Do not get me started on this dreadful, dreadful, filler. While the first few filler arcs, are actually pretty good, and well paced, after episode 135, excluding the final episode, every episode is filler. That's right. Every. Single. Fucking. Episode. Is. Filler. That's ridiculous. That's almost 100 episodes of filler. Not only is the story telling in these later filler episodes awful, but they are so poorly paced I can't bear to watch them sometimes. This filler was created to give the Manga time to get really far ahead, but couldn't they have just ended it, waited for a year or two, then went ahead and started Shippuden?

To sum up, despite all the praise to the plot itself, the pacing is disgraceful and as slow as a snail.

Oh boy. This is the part where I get to point out all the similarities to "Hunter x Hunter"! All joking aside (I'm going to do that, so was it a joke?) the characters in "Naruto" are all very loveable (or you "love to hate" them), and the cast itself is so huge, I'm not even going to try to describe them all, so here's the main four:

Naruto Uzumaki: Naruto is the titular character and primary protagonist of the show. He's a 12 year old Ninja in training (Genin) who dreams of becoming the Hokage, the greatest Ninja in his village, so the people who despise him and shun him will respect him and view him as a Hero. Naruto is a surprising main character, in the sense that for the type of show "Naruto" is, he really doesn't seem like the typical protagonist you would expect. Initially, he has next to no talent as a Ninja, he can't do anything right, he's childish, clumsy, stupid and loud. He's just not Ninja material, and he's weak as shit and a weirdo. But what makes Naruto so interesting is underneath this exterior. He's actually a very hurt and damaged kid, who's past of being shunned and alone, with no friends or parents has taken root in the form of psychological trauma. Naruto channels this trauma into his will, and as such, possesses an almost unbreakable determination. Naruto never gives up. He tries hard, every day, non-stop, and even though he's childish, and kids around, his unbreakable spirit is his greatest strength, and it's this trait that makes Naruto interesting, and is the seed of his growth as a character. As the series progresses, Naruto develops from a stupid and childish kid, to a mature and responsible Ninja, and it's a believable process of development.

Also, Naruto is basically Gon Freecss from Hunter x Hunter, only less awesome. Even his "Rasengan" is stolen from Gon's "Jajanken". Yup I'm going here.

Sasuke Uchiha: Sasuke is the deuteragonist of the series, and is one of Naruto's comrades. He is the last surviving member of the legendary Uchiha Clan, and seeks revenge against his brother Itachi, who slaughtered the entire clan overnight in cold blood. Sasuke is Naruto's greatest rival, and later friend, and is the complete opposite of Naruto. He's calm, cool and collected. He's a prodigy, and highly skilled in all areas of the Ninja practices. Everyone loves him, and respects him. He's basically "Ninja Material" and he's the shit. Sasuke is an interesting character, solely because his revenge story is one of great pain and loss, while at the same time, is interesting to watch unfold. Another interesting trait is simply how Sasuke serves to grow Naruto's development as a character. Sasuke is Naruto's primary motivation. He serves as someone Naruto wants to catch up to and eventually surpass, and his existence is what changes Naruto into the character he eventually becomes. Sasuke also has a much greater purpose towards the end of the plot, and is a key character in the sequel series "Naruto: Shippuden".

Also, Sasuke is basically a combination of Kurapika Kurta and Killua Zoldyck from "Hunter x Hunter". Kurapika's clan was killed overnight and he seeks revenge for their slaughter, and he also has magic red eyes that light up when he gets emotional or enraged in combat. Killua has an older brother who is a cold blooded killer, and has similar abilities, and lot's of angst and confidence. Yup, still doing this.

Sakura Haruno: Sakura is the third main character of the series, and is an ally of Naruto. She is a young female Ninja who despises Naruto, and swoons over Sasuke and "loves" him. She isn't really all that interesting a character, and doesn't do all that much which kind of sucks and makes her an uninteresting character. She does a few minor things, but I really don't have much to say about Sakura because her relevance to the plot as well as her character development aren't all that huge, and I can't describe anything she does do without spoiling everything.

She's pretty bland.

She actually doesn't copy anyone from Hunter x Hunter, except maybe her profession and final goal at the end of the series, which is similar to Leorio's.

In regards to secondary characters, they're all pretty decent, and get a decent amount of screen time. Since the entire plot is all set up and character building for the next series, we see a large cast of characters, all being built up, developed and founded, and it's awesome. Everyone, minor or major, gets their part somewhere, and it's rare for a series to even try to do it never mind do it successfully.

The villains are the same. Each of them are menacing, have interesting backstories, are well developed (especially Gaara and Orochimaru) and all have clear goals and purposes for being the foil in the plot.

To sum up, characters are mostly great and fleshed out, which is rare in a long-running show with a huge cast.

Art and Animation:

"Naruto" was produced by Studio Perriot, an animation studio I have come to despise over the recent years due to sloppy animation, average production values and what appears to be a budget that has taken the form of one end of a see-saw. One minute it's high, the next minute it's down on the ground again.

But thankfully, "Naruto" is before the time where all these problems began to arise, and the animation and art are spot on.

In regards to the general artwork, everything in "Naruto" is very colourful, detailed and engaging. The characters look lovely, and all have detailed expressions and designs. The backgrounds and environments really capture the feel and atmosphere of the dark, war-scarred Ninja setting, and are aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The art style as well, is actually very unique, and is rather removed from the typical look and feel that is associated with anime. It's not the best artwork in the world, but it's pretty damn good, especially for it's time.

The animation of "Naruto" is also excellent. Everything moves across the screen in fluent and beautiful fashion, especially during the fight scenes, where the animation reaches such depth and detail, that every single movement, no matter how minor or major, is captured by the eye, making for some really impressive looking fight scenes. Outside of battle scenes, the animation is still very good, with everything still moving beautifully. The animation is very ahead of it's time to the point that half of the fight scenes remain better in animaton quality than half the shows of 2014. That's fucking crazy.

However, it's not perfect. During the filler segments, the art and animation both suffer from a tremendous drop in quality, which I can only the cause being Studio Perriot saying "Fuck it. No one cares about filler." and lowering the budget. Either that, or this is when the see-saw budget days began. Who knows?

But aside from this minor issue, the art and animation of "Naruto" are great, and difficult to fault.

"Naruto" also scores high in the sound department. The music is excellent, with a lot of it having a Japanese-y and Ninja era kind of feel to it. There's a lot of woodwind stuff in here, and a lot of memorable songs that will never leave your heart. Almost all the tracks are memorable, and they all convey the setting, as well as the emotional scenes happening on-screen very well. The music always fits to what is happening on screen.

Naruto has many openings. The first opening theme is "Rise" by Jeremy Sweet and Ian Nickus (yes, I watched the English Version), and it's pretty awesome. The second opening theme is "Haruka Kanata" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation, which is awesome as hell. The third opening is "Sadness into Kindness" which is mediocre and not very memorable. The fourth one is "Go!" by Flow, who are one of my favourite Japanese bands, so it's instantly amazing. The fifth is "Youth's Rhapsody" by Sambomaster which I don't really like, and the sixth is "No boy, no cry" by Stance Punks, which is pretty decent, but nothing amazing. The seventh opening is "Namikaze Satellite" by Snowkel which is great. The next one is "Re:Member" by Flow which is amazing again. The ninth and final opening is "Yurayura" by Hearts Grow which is a good piece of music.

There are also many ending themes used. The first is an instrumental which is okay (yup, English dub), and the second is "Wind" by Akeboshi, which is excellent. The third is "Harmonia" by Rythem which is mediocre. The fourth is "Viva Rock" by Orange Range which is pretty good. The fifth is "alive" by Raico which is okay. The sixth is "Many Times Before" by The Mass Missile which again, is okay. The seventh is "Meteor" by TiA which is decent. The next one is "Mountain A Go Go Two" by Captain Straydum which is meh. The ninth is "The First Time I spoke" by GaGaGaSP and it's decent. The tenth ending is "Lost Words" by No Regrets and it's pretty damn good. The eleventh ending is "Speed" by Analog Fish and it's good. The next one is "I'm always by your side" by Amadori and it's good. The thirteenth ending is "Parade" by Chaba and I don't like it much. The fourteenth ending is "Yellow Moon" by Akeboshi and it's excellent. The fifteenth ending is "Pinocchio" by Ore Ska Band and it's not that great. Finally the sixteenth and final ending theme is "Scenario" by Saboten and it's great.

Jesus Christ that's a lot of Openings and Endings. All in all they are a mixed bag, with most ranging at "good" and the rare exception being excellent.

The voice acting is very good in both languages, although I watched it in English because I'm one of those dub faggots. The anime is better in English however, and translates perfectly, with the voices suiting the characters far more. Sasuke is 12, why does he sound like a grown man in the Japanese version? I don't think anyone will ever have the answer to this question. All joking aside, the voice acting is mostly great, but is betterin English. Well done Viz Media.

The sound effects in Naruto are perfect. They bring the Ninja world to life, and sound crisp and clear, with lovely production values. Perfect.

So how good is "Naruto" in the long run?

I think it's great. It's not the greatest Shounen of all time, and it's certainly overrated (like all of the members of "The Big Three"), but it's still a very excellent series, that provides an amazing set up to a sequel series where the real story begins. It suffers from poor pacing and contains a great deal of plaigerism (seriously, so many things were taken from "Hunter x Hunter" that I couldn't fit them in this review), but it's definitely worth watching, and is a must for anyone who is a lover of anime.

Those who bash "Naruto" and call it "crap" and other silly things are silly themselves, as it's a series that's difficult to fault. It's not perfect, but it's great. Jump on the bandwagon and enjoy.

There's a reason it's so popular, and there's a reason it's an entry level show. Because it's fucking good.

And now, it's scoring time:

Story: 7/10

Premise 3/3 - A well set up and interesting premise that sets up a lot of potential

General Plot 1/2 - Story arcs feel seperated, but each arc has major events which create consequences in later parts of the plot. Plot is all set up for the sequel series.

Pacing 1/3 - Rather slow, with a lot of dragging. Filler pacing is disgraceful.

Conclusion 2/2 - A satisfying conclusion, with plenty of set up plot points to begin "Naruto: Shippuden". A great way to leave things for part two.

Animation: 8/10

Artwork 2/3 - Colourful, detailed, unique and nice on the eyes. Very good. However, art degrades a lot during the filler episodes.

Character Designs 3/3 - All the characters stand out from one another, have a great attention to detail and are all memorable in appearance

Animation 3/4 - Animation is lovely and fluent. Some of the most impressive battle scenes ever animated to this day. Well ahead of it's time. However, animation quality drops a mile during filler.

Characters: 7/10

Personality 3/3 - Characters are fun to watch and follow, with most primary and secondary characters having great personalities and a defined character.

Development 2/3 - Most characters, primary and secondary, develop very well and get a lot of screen time. They are all set up, and almost none are wasted, but a few are sadly.

Uniqueness 2/4 - Secondary characters are pretty unique, but the main cast and a few villains are blatantly copied from "Hunter x Hunter", eliminating a lot of uniqueness.

Sound: 8/10

Voice Acting 3/4 - I watched it in English, but both languages were great. Japanese Sasuke annoyed me though. He's fucking 12. Why does he sounds like an adult? AGH.

Music 3/4 - Captures the setting and scenes very well, and all tracks are very memorable. However openings and endings are mixed, with some being great and others being mediocre.

Sound Effects 2/2 - They're crisp, sound nice and bring things to life.

Overall: 8/10

It's a truly excellent series, and one you should definitely check out.

But hey, I thought "Black Butler" was pretty terrible and that Sebastian Michaelis was a shit character, so my opinion probably doesn't matter to you people.

luffydoll's avatar By on Oct 22, 2013

Naruto: Hailed as the sucessor of the dragonball franchise has lived upto its name and has become one of the best sellers of all time besides one piece and dragonball. The series is a treat for all ages ;full of action ,comedy,romance and martial arts depicted with almost minimal exggeration (unlike the energy blasts in DBZ) AND MAINLY THE MOST TEAR JERKING ANIME MOMENTS OF ALL TIME.The beauty of this series lies in the portrayal of the lives of orphaned individuals and the value of life itself .

The major drawback is :SHITLOAD OF FILLER EPISODES . After watching atleast 50 out of 90 fillers i was eagerly waiting for the second part to start hence for starters WARNING: STICK TO THE EPISODES NUMBERED 1 TO 135 and jump to the 220 th. only then the ride would be truly unforgettable.

Itadakimasu96's avatar By on Oct 19, 2015

I've watched Naruto possibly 9-10 times over, this is my favourite anime of all time, I became attached to Naruto Uzumaki at the very beginning, though there were some times he was annoying, but i liked him because he made me a stronger person.

The cast of Naruto is huge, yet you can keep track of every single one because you get to spend time with them. We laughed, cried and hurt together.

I dont wanna make a huge review here, just wanted to thank this series for everything, the laughter, the joy, the sadness and the hope, the goddamm cliffhangers and the fillers (which i hate)...

- Kakashi Hatake