Nagi no Asukara

Alt titles: Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, A Lull in the Sea

duchessliz's avatar By on Jan 14, 2015

Long ago, all humans lived in the ocean. But some who longed for the land abandoned the ocean, casting off the special raiments granted to them by the sea god to adapt them to life under the sea... Though mankind was divided into sea dwellers and land dwellers, each with different ways of thinking, they were all still fellow humans, and they continued to maintain contact as time went on.

Due to the closure of their school four young teenagers from under the sea are sent to attend school on land. Sakishima Hikari, Mukaido Manaka, Hiradaira Chisaki, and Isaki Kaname live in an undersea village, while Kihara Tsumugu lives on land. As these middle school second years meet for the first time they attempt to understand one another and their differences as they try to get along. When things in the sea suddenly start to change the four teens relationships begin to change in the wake of what is to come ... The youthful fantasy tale of these young people's lives unfolds in a strange and beautiful world.

As a P.A Works production I simply knew it was going to be beautiful. . .and it was! Breathtakingly gorgeous animation that often made me pause watching just to admire the beauty of it! The soundtrack was also incredible! I absolutely LOVED the music choices! And the VA's did an amazing job! The plot was also very unique and not at all what I expected when I went into this ... I was thinking mermaids or some such shit but, I got something completely different and was pleasantly surprised at how well it was carrried out! I've never really dealt with drama well so I was kind of turned off by that but I still loved how things were put together. I even got teary eyed several times! The characters were amazingly well done with each character growing before you as the anime progressed. As they struggle with their feelings and what's going on in their lives you watch them fully develop right before your eyes.

Overall I started this anime because it was by P.A Works and I adore their animation, but in the end I completely fell in love, not just with the animation but with the whole package! Nagi no Asukara was a wonderful surprise! Very glad I watched it!

bunnyta12's avatar By on Jul 14, 2015

The story is about different types of humans that live on the ocean floor. It follows four 14-year-old middle school students from the sea village, that after their school closes down have to attend Mihama Middle School on the surface. The story then follows their struggles to adjust to a new environment and the relationships between the sea and land people. They also have to deal with their own feelings that have just started appearing between each other. Which by the middle of the series develops into a love triangle, I mean love hexagon.

The animation is completely flawless, and extraordinary beautiful. Honestly SO gorgeous. As well as the sound. Both of the OP & ED were honestly great

The Characters were very enjoyable, they delevopled extremly throughout the series, and I honestly didnt hate any of them.

Overall it was great. I really enjoyed the drama as well as the ups and downs the series had between each character. It truly made me feel for them. Its a great romance series, and even if you are not into romance if you want something beautiful to stare at I truly recommend this, because like I said the animation is flawless.

Also I watched the dub and as well as some eps of the sub and I truly gotta give props to the dub. It was really amazing plus it let me admire more the animation as i wasnt reading the subs.  ^_^

8.5/10 story
PurplePeopleEater's avatar By on Apr 24, 2015

So at first I was like what the hell is going on. They are under water. They walk and swim. There is paper under water and they have water in a glass, under water. When they get out of the ocean they look completely dry. A fish just swam by that dudes head. HUH!? Well, spoiler alert, it does get explained although actually, only one of those things is explained. I felt like the writer could have explained it a little sooner though.

As for the overall story, it was touching and mostly well written. It addressed issues of discrimination, hate, faith, determination, friendship, children being more willing to overlook differences than adults, age differences, passage of time, etc. It does a pretty good job of it too. However, there are certain things I want to know that it never explained. The people who live under the sea have something called Ena which allows them to breathe underwater. The reason they are dry when they get out of the water is because the Ena soaks up all the water on them. However, they can only spend a certain amount of time out of salt water. So that explains a little. However, it doesn't explain how there is soup in a bowl underwater, how their homework doesn't get soaked and mushy, how they look completely dry underwater, why they would bother with walking, underwater and how it can look as easy as walking on the surface, or why/how that one lady was sweeping. How do you sweep underwater? Is there even any point? I want an explanation. Other than that though, I recomment this anime.

Some of the characters remain two dimensional but others are well developed. Some of the main characters aren't very developed while some of the others rarely seen are developed quite well all things considered. Everyone loves someone who loves someone else which gets a little annoying sometimes. One of the characters that was part of the group of four since childhood is kind of left out. He doesn't have much dialogue and he is often kind of just there which some people have an issue with. I think it's kind of fitting though and it adds to the dynamics of the group. He's the odd man out.

Anyway, I recommend this anime to pretty much anyone. Sorry my review is short. My hand is bothering me (and so are my annoying neighbors) so I'm ending this here. I really did like the anime though.

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 characters
lb2rocklee's avatar By on Aug 1, 2014

The basis is that human civilization began at the bottom of the sea, and then those people became curious and decided to live on the surface. It revolves around a couple of middle school students who have to adjust to a new environment on the surface and face many struggles along the way.

The animation is one of the best animation I have ever seen in an anime. If you are looking for top class animation, this is the anime to watch. The sound was great as well.

The characters development is rather interesting. There is always something going on between all of the characters in this anime, so there is always something to look forward to every episode.

Overall it is a great aime to watch, and would recommend it for anyone.

fresh123456's avatar By on Jul 16, 2014

I usually like to elaborate in my reviews but you'll have to excuse me for this one.

It's gonna be kinda short.

I truely believe this is one of the best animes I've seen.

I've seen it in a marathon, and it felt pretty good,

it gets to emotional depths and honesty most anime doesn't get to,

We're not talking about plain architypes like tsunderes , moes nor kuderes/senapis.

From the very beginning we have emotional complex, layered rather than plained.

We don't have emotional cheap drama with cheap tricks (most of the time) that we see in most animes.

We do see a bunch of honesty.

The anime speaks honestly about feelings, love, changes, fears and what not.

Don't let the age of the characters fool you (14-15), they're having

very realistic, human reactions, thoughts and feels.

The use of fantasy - the story takes you to a world where there are humans who live in the water, and humans of the surface.

Even though it's one of the things that makes the show special, and provides it

some great shots of animation the series doesn't lose focus from the characters.

Animation-wise: Amazing.

Sound-wise: Awesome.

Characters: You may not like all characters, but most of them always search for themselves, growing up, most of them make progress so you'll never feel bored.

Story-wise: The only problem was the kind of drop in the middle which kinda let everything suck for some episodes, yet knowing it leads for the build-up to the ending,

it's worth it, and try to survive even the more depressing, disappointing episodes.

Summary:

The show had me feels I haven't felt since the american show (not anime)

"Avatar: The last airbender" I saw when I was younger, years ago.

This anime made me feel I gained a bit more than just passing my time

or entertaining myself, I felt like I've got a value added,

and I got kind of a mental "boost" from it.

You might say: "It's just another romance drama nonsense"

It's got it times where you feel like every episodes there's someone crying to keep the tension, yet don't let it bother you - I know it didn't bother me:

Cause it was well executed, and I knew these times are just a build-up for the climatic ending that will give us back the honest feelings that flow like the sea.

Amazing anime; I'll remember it.

9.6/10 overall